Author Topic: Dam failures in Michigan  (Read 750 times)

Jeff Tanyard

Dam failures in Michigan
« on: May 20, 2020, 06:42:59 PM »
I'm sure I speak for everyone here when I say our thoughts and prayers go out to the folks downstream.   :icon_sad:

The moment the Edenville Dam broke:

The same dam a little later:

Sanford Dam and Smallwood Dam have also failed.

Cities downriver include Saginaw and Bay City.  There's also a Dow Chemical plant downriver.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

Re: Dam failures in Michigan
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 09:42:01 PM »
I was stunned when I saw that this morning. Reminds me of what happened in Vermont during Hurricane Irene. One house picked up off its foundation, spun around and deposited down river. Covered bridges completely destroyed by being bashed by all the humungous trees floating downstream. Areas of roads washed out. You can still see the damage cause it took out fifty foot high areas of steep banks along the river. Those areas still see more erosion with every heavy rainstorm, trees up there on the edge of a dirt cliff now.

The power of water is unbelievable. If you get all your family out, that may be the best case scenario. We saw people lose everything and some of them weren't even in flood plains and had no flood insurance. They didn't get a dime in insurance money. I wonder if the dam company will be liable, but they were taken over and do they have any money to pay anyway?

Environmental problems too, the EPA didn't know what they heck to do with a destroyed gas station, the underground tanks were comprised, it took a while for them to come up with a plan for it.