Author Topic: Friendly, affordable editing by a language expert  (Read 818 times)

Gimlet

• Tag Line unlocked
Friendly, affordable editing by a language expert
« on: July 02, 2021, 03:53:08 AM »
A professionally trained proofreader, awarded distinction by the Publishing Training Centre and a member of the Chartered Institute of Editing and Proofreading. I work closely with self-publishing authors to help them bring their voices and ideas to light with accuracy, clarity, and finesse.

Why choose me for your book
?

As a proofreader, I’m gimlet-eyed and as a copy-editor, fiercely analytical. I wielded a red pen for 15 years as an English Literature teacher and taught creative writing at A-Level in some of the most prestigious and academically demanding schools in the UK. With a first-class master's degree in applied linguistics, I’m wired as a wordsmith and language has always been my bread and butter.

My background in education and mentoring has led to strong working relationships with self-publishing authors, and I’ve proofread and copy-edited novels in genres as diverse as supernatural fantasy, time-travel romance, and speculative science fiction. You can rest assured that all dangling modifiers will be disentangled and every misplaced comma will be caught – but never at the expense of your creativity. Underpinned by an in-depth understanding of literary stylistics, my sensitivity to the author’s voice and intention is always at the forefront of everything I do.

Get in touch!

For more information about my skills and qualifications, visit my website at www.gimlet-editorial.co.uk, or drop me a line at becmcneil@gimlet-editorial.co.uk to request a free 2,000 word sample edit and quotation.

What people say

OUTSTANDING
“Bec has proofread two works for me – a novel and a novelette. Her work is outstanding. She communicates well, her questions are on point, and she catches everything. Most impressive to me is that her suggestions show real insight, not just a regurgitation of stylesheet rules. By the way, I write in American English whereas Bec is British. I believe the final product is improved by that difference.”
R. E. Johnston, YA Author

YOUR MANUSCRIPT WILL BE IN GOOD HANDS
“Wow, I can’t sing Bec McNeil’s praises enough! My novel had already been beta-read and edited, so I didn’t think there would be much left to correct, but Bec still caught several mistakes, including places where I’d made a story flub. I was impressed by how carefully she must have read my work to have caught all these. She gave me dozens of helpful comments, edits and suggestions. She caught instances of repetition, found typos and errors in punctuation, and made good suggestions for alternative word choices. I have a pretty good grasp of grammar, but Bec still taught me something new about how commas are unnecessary when we use cumulative rather than co-ordinating adjectives. In short, I recommend her highly. Your manuscript will be in good hands with her.”
Vidya Samson, Romance and Fantasy Author

AMAZING WORK
“I was so excited to find the right proofreader. But as soon as I got in touch with Bec, I immediately understood that my manuscript was in good hands.  She delivered amazing work. It was an incredibly large job of 95,000 words.  But her commentary remained strong and consistent to the last word. She didn't just focus on punctuation or grammar, she also provided thorough comments for comprehensibility. The cooperation was excellent and I am extremely grateful to Bec for giving my project this convincing kickstart. In full confidence, I can send my manuscript to agents. In any case, for future plans, I know a very good proofreader. Thank you, Rebecca!”
Patrick Berkhof, Fantasy Author
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 12:11:45 AM by Gimlet »

idontknowyet

Re: Friendly, affordable editing by a language expert
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 03:23:35 AM »
Hi. Welcome to the forums!!!!

We always love a new proofreader.

Some information about costs and stuff would be greatly appreciated.

Gimlet

• Tag Line unlocked
Re: Friendly, affordable editing by a language expert
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2021, 11:46:00 PM »
Thanks! This seems like a friendly place :)

In answer to your question, I charge per hour rather than per word, so I usually offer a free sample edit before preparing a fixed-price capped quotation based on my assessment of how long the job is likely to take. My current rates are £20 per hour.

I'm keenly aware that the costs of editing can be prohibitive and I'm always looking for ways to help writers maximise their budgets, whether it's through tips for self-editing, or by offering combined services such as proof-editing. It's always worth getting in touch to see if it's possible to work something out!