Author Topic: A+ Content  (Read 10638 times)

LilyBLily

Re: A+ Content
« Reply #100 on: August 09, 2021, 11:40:47 PM »
No action by Amazon over the weekend, but one of mine was approved this morning for the US. Another that was rejected, approved, and then rejected is still pending after I did a massive overhaul on it.

The UK dashboard is not up to date on the status of content I've submitted; everything appears to be in draft only. I will wait a bit until all my submissions clear with the US store before before trying again with other markets.

LilyBLily

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2021, 02:05:58 PM »
My third A+ was approved and now I have submitted all three for Amazon UK. I made some changes in the content, too.

alhawke

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2021, 02:38:01 PM »
My third A+ was approved and now I have submitted all three for Amazon UK. I made some changes in the content, too.
Great! So far it seems once the ad is tweaked, it's easy to get approved.
I'll be working on a few new ones on other books soon, all thanks to Eric Thomson's post here.
 :ws

LilyBLily

« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2021, 11:39:43 PM »
All three UK versions for approved in a couple of hours. On to Europe!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2021, 12:36:18 AM »
Why do the AUS and CAN stores not accept something the US and UK stores did?

They both want "product specific content in addition to any brand story content."

The image is a poster of all the book covers. Can't get more product than that.

The question is though, why are the stores using different rules?

They're using no reply email addresses too, so you can't ask them anything, or ask why they're rejecting something the US has accepted.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

LilyBLily

« Reply #105 on: August 12, 2021, 03:43:20 AM »
Also, in doing the A+ for the next country, one has to start from the US version all over again instead of getting to choose the content one put up for any other of the Amazon stores.

Regardless, chances are it's much ado about nothing.

RPatton

« Reply #106 on: August 12, 2021, 04:49:02 AM »
Just a thought, but I wonder when they are going to start charging for A+? I can't imagine Amazon would give that much real estate on the book page away for free.

LilyBLily

« Reply #107 on: August 12, 2021, 05:05:23 AM »
Just a thought, but I wonder when they are going to start charging for A+? I can't imagine Amazon would give that much real estate on the book page away for free.

Good point. That would be like charging us for a listing. Only authors with plenty of extra cash would pay, and then there would be at least two tiers of page visuals. Possibly more. I could see high-selling indie authors throwing a chunk of cash down to make sure their pages are bigger and fancier than other people's. Sigh. Sure, strictly as a moneymaker, it gives more space to the books and authors probably selling the most and would be to Amazon's advantage. Sigh. Let's hope we retain a level playing field.

LilyBLily

« Reply #108 on: August 12, 2021, 11:01:12 PM »
My AU A+ content floated through, no problems. I think I sell more books in Australia than I do in all of Europe.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2021, 12:11:40 AM »
My AU A+ content floated through, no problems. I think I sell more books in Australia than I do in all of Europe.

Australia is (or used to be) the third largest English-language market for books after the US and UK.

From what I recall, a UK publisher would expect to sell 30% of their print run here in Aus, and 70% in the UK.

Dwarfed by the US, no doubt, but then the competition there is higher too.

Bear in mind Aus keeps going into Covid lockdowns (we're in another now, pretty much everywhere but Western Australia.) And Amazon started offering local paperback printing recently, at a rate that makes my books as cheap as trad pubbed paperbacks. (We don't do those disposable el-cheapo paperbacks here, our cheapest are A-format trade paperbacks in the $20-$25 range.)

LilyBLily

« Reply #110 on: August 13, 2021, 01:17:39 AM »
I grew up on cheap mass market paperbacks. They were the only formats in which most romances were available, and they were well within my budget even as a teenager with no allowance. (I had an allowance, but my mom was too broke to pay it. She always claimed she was keeping track of what she owed, and after her death I found the proof that she did. Meanwhile, though, I had only the money I'd saved from Christmas and birthday gifts. It was enough, because our local public library system was great and supplied me with all the latest in fiction. Well, except for Valley of the Dolls, which they would not carry, claiming it "wasn't a book.")

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #111 on: August 13, 2021, 01:32:35 AM »
I grew up on cheap mass market paperbacks.

I did too.

I seriously don't like the new sizes.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily

littleauthor

« Reply #112 on: August 13, 2021, 02:54:44 AM »
Just had to share. My Wuthering Heights retelling has been flagged for content for use of the word 'penis.' The word I used is Penistone Crag.
Ah, and  just when I thought AI was going to take over the world!
I can't stop laughing.
"Not working to her full potential."

Eric Thomson

« Reply #113 on: August 13, 2021, 02:59:12 AM »
Just had to share. My Wuthering Heights retelling has been flagged for content for use of the word 'penis.' The word I used is Penistone Crag.
Ah, and  just when I thought AI was going to take over the world!
I can't stop laughing.
That's a pretty dick move on Amazon's part.  :angel:

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, littleauthor

PJ Post

« Reply #114 on: November 10, 2021, 10:55:48 PM »
Has anyone seen improved sales?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #115 on: November 10, 2021, 10:57:58 PM »

Not as such, but just after my last release I think someone bought the entire universe in one go.

This does happen periodically, but it might be because all the covers are now visible on all books.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

LilyBLily

« Reply #116 on: November 10, 2021, 11:52:04 PM »
No improved sales, but the page is more mine than previously. There are just as many ads for other people's books, but my A+ content is larger.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post, cecilia_writer, Wonder

Eric Thomson

« Reply #117 on: November 11, 2021, 03:05:36 AM »
Yep. I put the A+ in shortly after my July release. Sales outside of Amazon (Apple, Kobo, Google, etc) followed the normal pattern through August, September and October, but Amazon sales didn't. They remained unusually high and stable. In other words, I had the normal tailing off everywhere but on Amazon where I kept selling at a much higher pace, enough so to carry me through to my 1st of November release. Never seen anything like it since I started 7 years ago. Since A+ is the only thing I changed in my strategy, it has to be the driver.

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard, PJ Post, Wonder, alhawke

Anarchist

« Reply #118 on: November 11, 2021, 10:10:45 AM »
I've been watching from the sidelines. I'm sure A+ does more good than harm, but I've got my hands full with AMS right now.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

spin52

« Reply #119 on: November 26, 2021, 12:59:36 AM »

I didn't get mine up and running until October, but both October and November were better than average months, so ... a qualified yes.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

littleauthor

« Reply #120 on: November 27, 2021, 11:32:51 PM »
No improvement in sales, but the page looks more polished and as a consumer, when I see A+content on product pages, I read it over and it helps me decide. I think it'll translate into sales in time.
"Not working to her full potential."

LilyBLily

« Reply #121 on: November 28, 2021, 01:45:25 AM »
I've seen some fancy A+ content on other author pages, but frankly, it's not anything that would influence me as a reader. I'm probably too cynical about such things, though.

Having seen those pages, I now feel a need to revise my own and make them slicker. Which means I'll have to re-learn how to do it. A project for the back burner, as are so many others.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #122 on: November 28, 2021, 01:48:23 AM »
I've seen some fancy A+ content on other author pages, but frankly, it's not anything that would influence me as a reader.

I've seen several which acted to put me off.

In one case, it highlighted the MC change in a long series, and the fact I wasn't invested in the new MC at all, just convinced me not to buy the next book.

A case of too much information.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #123 on: November 28, 2021, 04:30:23 AM »
I've seen several which acted to put me off.

In one case, it highlighted the MC change in a long series, and the fact I wasn't invested in the new MC at all, just convinced me not to buy the next book.

A case of too much information.

But that might prevent bad reviews, no?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

LilyBLily

« Reply #124 on: November 28, 2021, 05:34:33 AM »
I've never gotten bad reviews. Reviews that hated the story and thought I was sick in the head, yes, but not what I consider a bad review, since they weren't ragging on my ability to write. To me, that's a bad review. Everything else is reader reaction. Basically, free social proof.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke, Cindy303

Eric Thomson

« Reply #125 on: November 28, 2021, 06:31:05 AM »
I've never gotten bad reviews. Reviews that hated the story and thought I was sick in the head, yes, but not what I consider a bad review, since they weren't ragging on my ability to write. To me, that's a bad review. Everything else is reader reaction. Basically, free social proof.
This
 :goodpost:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #126 on: November 28, 2021, 12:10:16 PM »
But that might prevent bad reviews, no?

Not really. The first one got a lot of review comments about the MC not being in the picture for very long.

Those who did read on in the series would then be reviewing as they normally would. So minor review hiccup on a single book, then business as usual.