Author Topic: AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread  (Read 25488 times)

anpacker

Re: AUSTRALIAN writer's support thread
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2019, 09:56:58 PM »
One of my grandfathers served in France in WWI. He would never talk about the war in any detail. We always figured it was because his experiences were too terrible to reminisce about.

When he died I was able to read his diary from the war years, and I discovered that after all the training etc he finally arrived in France quite near the end of the war. Then he came down with a sickness that kept him in hospital until after the Armistice was signed. He only spent a few days in the trenches, and there was no major action during that time. He probably never fired a shot.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that's why he didn't want to talk about the war. (There has to be a story in there somewhere, although it isn't my genre.)

I've never cared that he didn't win the Victoria Cross. If he'd seen more action and been killed, I wouldn't be writing this... ;-)

Genre: Epic Fantasy

JB Rowley

« Reply #101 on: April 26, 2019, 05:48:02 AM »
Lest we forget - what they did for us.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2019, 08:22:35 PM »
Any Aussie writers who are making a living from their work ... do you want to comment?

https://twitter.com/spacejock/status/1126068712019128321

(My reply to "Literary twitter - how many Australian writers do you reckon are currently making a living from their writing alone? I'm curious to hear your guestimates because I've made a list and checked it twice and...it's not very long.")

Carleton Chinner

« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2019, 03:55:16 PM »
Genrecon is on once more. :banana:

Brisbane's Biannual festival of all things genre is being held in November this year.

Right now there's a basic website where you can register your interest, with more to follow soon.

https://genrecon.com.au/

Carleton ChinnerElectronic Allegorist

ChristineB

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #104 on: May 26, 2019, 07:11:00 AM »
ACX:

Does anyone know how to go about getting in ITIN number for US Tax purposes? When you sign up to ACX they make you tick a box saying that you have a US tax number and I don't want to tick it if I don't have one. I want to jump into ACX but I need this first. There is an agent here who will do it all for me but they charge $299 and the whole procedure seems like a pain. If anyone knows any easier route please let me know! Thank you.

anpacker

« Reply #105 on: May 26, 2019, 09:38:53 AM »
Hi,

I've recently gone through the process with ACX. It wasn't actually an issue for me, since I lived in the US for a few years and therefore have a US Social Security Number, and I've also retained a US bank account.

If that doesn't apply in your particular case, you might find this article interesting: https://www.savvynewcanadians.com/amazon-kindle-self-publishing-how-to-avoid-the-30-u-s-withholding-tax/. If it works it should be a _lot_ simpler than other methods.

All the best,
Allan

Genre: Epic Fantasy

ChristineB

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #106 on: May 26, 2019, 10:21:59 AM »
Thank you so much.  I'll definitely check this out.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »
Still no joy ordering copies from KDP for delivery to Australia, but after seeing a recent comment about Lulu on a different site, I decided to go and price them up.

I was impressed that you can enter various details and get a per-book price (and a delivery cost) without signing in or giving your firstborn as a sacrifice. This included delivery to Australia.

I was very impressed with the printing price and delivery fee. (Postage, the books being printed locally in Australia, is very good.)

So, I dusted off my login from somewhere around 2003 or so, and signed in properly.

They don't offer the paperback size I use on KDP (5.25 x 8), but 5.5x8.5 is close enough to use my existing interior file.

For the cover, I fired up Indesign, downloaded the relevant Lulu template and resized my existing cover in under 10 mins. Saved to PDF, uploaded, done.

I was going to order three copies, which worked out about AU$8 each including postage (274 page novel), but I've decided to upload a couple more titles and get a mixed batch of books.

The following users thanked this post: R. C., JB Rowley

JB Rowley

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2019, 02:32:19 PM »
I'd be very interested in how this goes for you Simon, e.g. how long delivery takes and your opinion of the quality of the paperbacks when they arrive.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2019, 03:48:38 PM »
Will do.  I have KDP copies to compare them to.

The following users thanked this post: JB Rowley

Simon Haynes

« Reply #110 on: July 05, 2019, 02:51:39 PM »
Got the Lulu books today - I'm impressed.  The interior print quality is no different to KDP, and the covers look better. (Bit more vivid than my last batch of KDP books.)

For any aussies trying to get hold of paperbacks, I would recommend doing a trial with one book first. It'll probably cost about A$15 including postage and you can then judge for yourselves. (Postage is cheaper the more books you order. I ordered 5 copies across 2 titles and it came to a total of $32, delivered.)

Now I just have to figure out how to sell copies locally!

The following users thanked this post: W.R. Gingell, JB Rowley

Leo

« Reply #111 on: July 05, 2019, 05:17:15 PM »
Thanks for the updates Simon, I know that Ingram Spark distribute widely. I sell quite a few though their distribution which includes Book Depository. Do you know if Lulu distributes to any online or bricks and mortar bookshops?
Post-apocalypse or epic fantasy anyone?
Or perhaps tarot and astrology are more up your alley?

Simon Haynes

« Reply #112 on: July 05, 2019, 11:27:15 PM »
You can set up a distribution account, but I don't know anything about that. (I once used Lightning Source for that reason.)

I just needed to be able to buy copies locally.

JB Rowley

« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2019, 06:56:56 AM »
Thanks for the updates Simon, I know that Ingram Spark distribute widely. I sell quite a few though their distribution which includes Book Depository. Do you know if Lulu distributes to any online or bricks and mortar bookshops?

Many thanks, Simon. Lulu looks like a better option than Amazon for print copies.

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

Rinelle

« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2019, 07:15:26 PM »
ACX:

Does anyone know how to go about getting in ITIN number for US Tax purposes? When you sign up to ACX they make you tick a box saying that you have a US tax number and I don't want to tick it if I don't have one. I want to jump into ACX but I need this first. There is an agent here who will do it all for me but they charge $299 and the whole procedure seems like a pain. If anyone knows any easier route please let me know! Thank you.

I thought ACX wasn’t available for Australian authors?

There used to be a detailed walk through for getting an EIN, which was what we used for Amazon before they started accepting Australian TFN’s. Not sure if that would work in this case?

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #115 on: October 03, 2019, 12:47:44 PM »
Not sure if it is true or not, but apparently Australians may now order author paperback copies from KDP again. Announced over at the other site. I went through all the procedures (without actual purchase), on the KDP site which allowed it. As opposed to before when it simply stated that I should place an order through Expanded Distribution way back when. For my smaller non-fiction books, where I do not want to fork out for ISBNs, that would be fantastic. For my full-length novels, I will still go through Ingram Spark because they print in Australia and are good quality.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #116 on: October 03, 2019, 01:45:52 PM »
Thanks for the update.

I shifted all my stuff to Lulu Australia, and the price + postage is a lot less than the same title from KDP. I wonder how many others have already found alternatives?

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #117 on: October 03, 2019, 09:49:23 PM »
I do my hardcovers through Lulu and have found their quality to be ace (printed in France from what I can tell). I get my paperbacks from IS and am more than happy with their prices, their turn-around and their quality. I would not go back to Amazon/KDP for print books again. Too much hassle and no guarantee they won't spit the dummy again in future.

baldricko

« Reply #118 on: October 08, 2019, 02:44:42 PM »
A shift in subject here. Today I checked on my Billings and Payments page under Amazon Ads and see in a pretty bright red box a request for my VAT / GST number and beside it a red Triangle with an exclamation mark in the center so that I'd know it was very important.

'Update your payment settings
Our records indicate you may not have provided complete tax details for your Advertising account. To ensure you are billed correctly, please update your Payment Settings. The country associated with your VAT registration number, where relevant, should match the country of your billing address.'

When I go to fill out the required details it has right at the bottom, after name and address, a box for my ABN to go.  I don't have an ABN. I used to when I made more than 75,000 a year from the business (actually I never did make that much from it but they required it anyway). The royalties I receive for my books don't come to anything like that amount, so I am not required under Australian law to have one.

The problem is, I cannot complete the page until I include an ABN in it. I understand that without the ABN Amazon can slap on an extra 10% in charges.

Is anyone else dealing with this issue? Or do you all have ABNs whether or not you meet the requirement in earnings from royalties?

Rinelle

« Reply #119 on: October 08, 2019, 10:27:16 PM »
I have an ABN, although I can’t remember if Amazon requested it or not. I think Facebook did recently?

Even if you have an ABN, you don’t need to do all that GST crap unless you’re over the threshold or you register for it. An ABN is free.

baldricko

« Reply #120 on: October 09, 2019, 08:11:29 AM »
I have an ABN, although I can’t remember if Amazon requested it or not. I think Facebook did recently?

Even if you have an ABN, you don’t need to do all that GST crap unless you’re over the threshold or you register for it. An ABN is free.
Thanks for your reply, Rinelle. I was wondering if this wasn't a new Amazon policy.

I might go ahead and get my ABN back again, but I don't want to for the very small amount I make out of my books. Much less than half of the threshold set by the Australian gov.

The pink box still has not gone away from my Billing page though. I have queried it.

Rinelle

« Reply #121 on: October 11, 2019, 01:16:13 PM »
It could be new. I only had to add it recently. Could be something to do with the new GST laws?

It’s easy to get back. Same number even. And it doesn’t cost you anything, or change anything, so long as you don’t actually register for GST.

baldricko

« Reply #122 on: October 11, 2019, 04:47:50 PM »
Amazon replied to my query.

Amazon replied to my query today. I don't need to pay VAT / GST so I don't need the ABN in this case, since I don't earn enough from the royalties. There is a small box which must be unticked if you are in that lucky category (really not-so-lucky, since the book sales do not earn a figure that attracts the tax man's attention) that doesn't require an ABN.

The trouble is the small box has this beside it in tiny text...

I accept and acknowledge all the conditions set out in the VAT Agreement. (Required if a VAT Registration Number is provided).

All I was seeing was the first sentence and so I was ticking the box. I mean there is always a similar box to tick with a similar 'I accept and acknowledge... at the end of most online contract /agreement these days. So, doing that I could not submit the page without entering a VAT/GST/ABN. The same red bar and triangle at the top of the page, which suggests to me there's something I need to do. I thought those types of warnings disappeared once the update was submitted? I wished Amazon would make that box disappear and free me from doubt. I suppose that would be too easy??? Clicking a little x in the top corner makes it disappear but when the page is opened again there's the same red alert.

edenblake

• Tag Line unlocked
  • all about the true love
« Reply #123 on: January 26, 2020, 06:43:26 PM »
Just popping in to say hello.

In a long ago life I was a minor YA writer. Now that my high-needs kid is a bit less high needs and I have the time, I'm plunging back into writing--m/m romance this time around. Really have the joy of it all back.
Aziraphale was an angel, but he also worshipped books.

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #124 on: March 28, 2020, 10:39:58 AM »
Anyone else ready for the government(s) here to step up and do more to support people who've had to stop work due tot he virus?  :evil2:

Ashley Capes | website

JB Rowley

« Reply #125 on: May 08, 2021, 05:20:26 AM »
So finally Amazon will be printing paperbacks in Australia.

Not sure which state they have chosen for their printing press but I assume the premier, the best, the one and only - Victoria!  grint

Simon Haynes

« Reply #126 on: May 08, 2021, 05:35:45 AM »
If you read the fine print it says they won't be printing cream insides to start with, only white.

Of course all my 40+ paperbacks are cream...

So I have a choice - I can republish separate editions for Australia only, or convert all my existing books to white paper. (I much, much prefer cream.)

If you leave them at cream, amazon.com.au will just show 'out of stock' by the way.

I think I'll republish them all, with territory set to Australia only. I really don't want to mess with my existing books.

JB Rowley

« Reply #127 on: May 08, 2021, 12:37:52 PM »
Most of my books are in white. BTW the 'out of stock' notice has appeared under all my books on amazon.com even those printed in white. It's ridiculous - confusing for potential customers.