Author Topic: Amazon Sponsored TV ads  (Read 502 times)

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Amazon Sponsored TV ads
« on: November 10, 2023, 03:51:48 AM »
When I opened my AMS dashboard this morning, I got hit with an announcement for "Sponsored TV.'

Reach viewers and drive brand consideration across streaming services like Freevee and Twitch.

That isn't exactly a clear description. I found more here: https://advertising.amazon.com/resources/whats-new/sponsored-tv?ref_=a20m_us_wn_ftrd2_btn_102523_spnsrdtv

Apparently, it's still in beta and only available in the US. From a video explanation, it appears that an opportunity to create video adds will appear to the right of the existing ad types, though it hasn't for me, even though Amazon pushed the announcement to me.

At first, I  assumed it was a video placed like other Amazon ads, so I don't understand how it gets on Twitch. Nor can I find any explanation for it.

I assume that if its being advertised to indie authors, it will eventually be available to us--though with Amazon, that isn't necessarily a given.

I have occasionally seen video ads in my search results but assumed that was some special perk available to trads but not us.

Anyone have any more information on this?

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
Re: Amazon Sponsored TV ads
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2023, 12:09:58 AM »
Nobody else has seen this yet? Apparently, the original announcement was made October 25, but it could getting sent to individual authors gradually.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

Hopscotch

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2023, 02:56:31 AM »
Got it today.  If I can't make AMS ads work, why should I spend on this?
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

alhawke

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2023, 03:23:06 AM »
Let us know if you dabble in it and have any success. I once researched AMS in order to connect trailers to my books but I was unable to figure it out. If it's easier to connect video now, I think my trailers could be a great ad addition for Amazon.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2023, 03:45:53 AM »
Sadly, I may not dabble much in the short term. My relevant videos are all pretty old. I'd need fresh material, and I may not be inclined to make any until someone has some success with that kind of ad.

Despite getting the announcement, the button to create that kind of ad hasn't appeared yet, at least by late yesterday.

alhawke

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2023, 08:03:40 AM »
Maybe I'll look further into it. If I do, I'll post. But, honestly, like Hopscotch, I've had so little luck over the yrs with AMS that I probably won't bother.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2023, 09:17:58 AM »
I too have the option to create a "Sponsored TV Ad" under the "What's new" menu option.   However, choosing the link from the notification does not give me anything new. All I receive is the normal "Choose your campaign type" page.

R.C.

Hopscotch

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2023, 10:57:28 AM »
Whoops, it disappeared from my dashboard. :confused:
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2023, 12:37:45 AM »
My experience is the same as R. C.'s. It seems as if the announcement may have gotten ahead of the actual implementation. We'll have to wait until the creation option actually appears on our dashboard to see what happens.

That said, in recent days, I have seen videos in my search results. For instance, when I was researching astrology for an upcoming book, I noticed a very showy video, including a nice clip showing planets revolving around the sun, as an ad for one of the books. I've also seen a couple for fantasy books. Ah, I just tried a search for fantasy, and there's a video on page 1 of the search results for Cadwell Turnbull's We are the Crisis (Blackstone Publishing). So evidently, the trads can already do this. I've always been an advocate for indies having the same ad options as trads. Oh, and the bottom of the product page under related books has two books represented by videos. Both of them are trad books with thousands of ratings on both Amazon and Goodreads. The Turnbull book is a recent release that has starred reviews from Publisher's Weekly, Kirkus, and Library Journal. In other words, these are books that probably didn't need a video ad boost, but in all three cases, publishers chose to give them one. Maybe they know something that we don't.

My experience with AMS ads hasn't exactly inspired confidence, either, but video does have some potential to change the game. We still have that instinctual tendency to have our attention drawn to something which moves. (If you doubt this, have a conversation with someone in a room with a TV running. Even if there is no sound, the other person's eyes will tend to drift in that direction.) There is considerable evidence that video ads can have greater impact that static ads.

Of course, it also takes time and effort to make video ads. I have two good trailers that I could use when the option becomes available. But it might be better to make one specifically for this advertising, in which the sound is off by default. (One of my existing videos depends on audio narration, but the other has captions.)

She-la-te-da

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2023, 08:26:59 AM »
I use ad blockers, so I don't see these. I don't click on videos embedded in anything. I doubt I'd ever use it myself. Learning regular ads is hard enough for me, trying to learn to do videos? Yeah. There's a reason I'm not doing TikTok. LOL

I'm such an old Luddite sometimes. :D
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.