Author Topic: Paperback Size  (Read 4217 times)

Post-Crisis D

Paperback Size
« on: August 06, 2022, 02:37:15 AM »
What size do you use for your paperbacks?

According to Amazon, 6" x 9" is the most common size (U.S.) but that seems weird to me.  The 5.06" x 7.81" is the closest to the mass market paperback size of 4.25" x 6.87" which I would think is the most common size because paperbacks that size seem to be everywhere.

The larger 6" x 9" size seems more like a textbook and, I don't know, do readers want to be reminded of typically boring textbooks when the package arrives with your book?

So, I lean towards the 5.06" x 7.81" size but wanted to see what others are doing.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Paperback Size
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2022, 02:47:14 AM »
I use 5x8.

That's the normal here in Australia now as far as I can tell. Unless it's mass market coming out of the US.

Personally I find it big, but mass market size is not available on Amazon.

It's nearly an inch higher and half an inch wider than all my mass market books.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2022, 04:26:45 AM »
Well, formatting for paperback is a lot quicker than formatting for the eBook.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Wonder

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2022, 05:26:44 AM »
I used to go 5.06" x 7.81" size but I'm switching to 6 x 9 for a few reasons.

- It's a common size that all the printers offer. For example, Lulu Express doesn't offer the 5.06 x 7.81 and now I'm looking at a cost and hassle to rebuild my wrap covers for a new printer.
- It's an overlap size with the hardbacks offered by Amazon, so you can make hardback covers without too much extra effort. (i have yet to do this)
- It allows for easy-to-read print without making the book too fat, and fat books tend to drive up the print cost.
- the 6 x 9 paperbacks match my e-book cover dimensions perfectly, so I don't need to rejigger elements on a cover to fit a narrower height/width ratio.

I agree they look a bit big but they're still comfortable enough to read and carry. Anything that standardizes production and makes my job faster/cheaper/easier is a bonus these days. :)

Wonder

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2022, 09:25:44 AM »
5.25 x 8. I went to a bookstore and measured other trade books and decided that was the size I would feel comfortable reading. To me, 6 x 9 for paper is unwieldy. Also, my 50k books would look like pamphlets.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2022, 10:27:33 AM »
5.25 x 8. I went to a bookstore and measured other trade books and decided that was the size I would feel comfortable reading. To me, 6 x 9 for paper is unwieldy. Also, my 50k books would look like pamphlets.

This...

R.C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2022, 11:30:05 AM »
Well, formatting for paperback is a lot quicker than formatting for the eBook.

:icon_think: :shrug

I only ever formatted 1 eBook. My first. After that, I uses/use the same file as the last book as a template, resaved to the new book and the old book deleted out.

Formatting for paperback I've found impossible. I use D2D for that. I'd like to do 3 colour books, but D2D don't support colour, so I can't.

I've no idea how you could consider paperback formatting quicker.

The only use I have for 6 x 9 is when either the images in the book are too big for anything smaller, or the book is so long you need the extra page size to fit it into the page limit. I have 2 6x9s as a result. And 1 9x11. But they're not novels.

Back when 6x9 started coming out, I got several because I was desperate for the books. They caused me all sorts of pain to read. Now I have them on kindle, and the books are basically doorstops now.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2022, 11:58:28 AM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2022, 11:55:53 AM »
I've no idea who you could consider paperback formatting quicker.

I took my Pages document, changed the document size to the paperback size and redefined my styles to the fonts and font sizes I wanted.  Then check the page count and adjust margins as indicated in KDP's specifications.  Tweak as needed.   Boom.  Done.  Just need to export to PDF.

Didn't even need to lay it out in InDesign like I did with a previous book that I printed myself.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2022, 12:02:01 PM »
I took my Pages document, changed the document size to the paperback size and redefined my styles to the fonts and font sizes I wanted.  Then check the page count and adjust margins as indicated in KDP's specifications.  Tweak as needed.   Boom.  Done.  Just need to export to PDF.

You lost me at adjust margins.

The whole left right gutter thing is totally beyond me.

Ebook is modify normal style for indent and paragraph gap, and modify heading 1 for center and font size. Done. Use the same file as a template forever.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2022, 12:29:08 PM »
You lost me at adjust margins.

The whole left right gutter thing is totally beyond me.

Just be glad you don't have to calculate the margins based on each page's location in its signature.

Ebook is modify normal style for indent and paragraph gap, and modify heading 1 for center and font size. Done. Use the same file as a template forever.

I do the HTML myself so it takes longer.  I have my styles set in Pages but I export from there to HTML, then I need to clean up the HTML and then I manually make the ePub.  Upside is that apparently I no longer need to create a .mobi file anymore.  But that all takes a while.  A couple hours or more, I think.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2022, 01:06:22 PM »
I do the HTML myself so it takes longer.  I have my styles set in Pages but I export from there to HTML, then I need to clean up the HTML and then I manually make the ePub.  Upside is that apparently I no longer need to create a .mobi file anymore.  But that all takes a while.  A couple hours or more, I think.

I honestly don't get that.

I write in Word. I upload docx.

I do a quick set of changes to the doc for the paperback (mainly removing things which don't print well), upload to D2D, then download the pdf, upload to Amazon.

No time at all for the eBook, and about 2 minutes for the paperback, once I get things like images set properly if there are any.

If I had to spend a couple of hours formatting paperbacks each, they would never have been done.

The longest part of paperbacks is the cover, and I've got that down to a well used method now, at about 15 minutes each. (Except when I get something wrong and have to redo it.)

alhawke

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2022, 02:37:08 PM »
My paperbacks are 5.5 by 8.5; except my omnibus boxed set which is 650 pages, smaller print, and sized at 6 by 9.

I don't like 6 by 9. It's a personal preference. There's plenty of books in my genre that are 6 by 9, but I like the feel of a smaller book on the shelf and in my hands. 5.25 by 8 and 5.5 by 8.5 are just more comfy for me.

There's an advantage with 6 by 9 though. It can save money because printing costs can be cut down. Also, my books average 250 to 300 pages. Some of you write larger books in the 400-500 page range. For that, 6 by 9 makes more sense (that's why my collection is 6 by 9).

Genre is a consideration too.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2022, 02:40:44 PM »
The paperback I think I can get down to a half hour or less.  Yesterday was my first attempt to do it in Pages so took longer trying to find where the various settings were.

When I did one in InDesign a few years ago, I don't remember how long it took.  I don't think it took too awful long but I don't remember for sure.

The eBooks take me longer.  I've never timed it though.  I follow the instructions that someone had on their website ten years ago.  They may have been a member on the other forum.  I've modified the routine since then and have written scripts to make it faster.  Goal is to write something that would actually automate much of it.  I've been doing it partially wrong anyway, so doing it right ought to speed things up a little.  Maybe I'll time it when I do this one.

notthatamanda

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2022, 09:18:29 PM »
I follow the instructions that someone had on their website ten years ago.  They may have been a member on the other forum.  I've modified the routine since then and have written scripts to make it faster.  Goal is to write something that would actually automate much of it.  I've been doing it partially wrong anyway, so doing it right ought to speed things up a little.  Maybe I'll time it when I do this one.

The smashwords guide to styles? https://www.smashwords.com/extreader/read/52/1/smashwords-style-guide

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2022, 09:28:00 PM »
I follow the instructions that someone had on their website ten years ago.

:icon_eek:

You're following instructions from 2012?

But everything has changed since then. Literally everything.

Back when I started in 2015, you had to convert the docx into html, then zip it up, to upload it.

Now you just upload the docx.

The last change to docx was the contents instructions, which create the dynamic contents for the kindle top menu.

As I keep telling people on Quora, anything older than 6 months is out of date.

Instructions 10 years old? OMG  :eek:

Hopscotch

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2022, 10:18:09 PM »
I one of Joel Friedlander's inexpensive templates and, w/the proper license, reuse it so I don't have to think about anything tech for ppbk.  I prefer not thinking tech.
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

Twolane

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2022, 11:16:50 PM »
I use 5.25x8 for all of my pbooks over 250 pages on both Amazon and Ingram. If it's anything less wordwise, I use 4.25x7 on Ingram.

Amazon's templates don't offer a 4.25x7. If I do an Amazon custom size, will it cost more?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2022, 11:45:58 PM »
I follow the instructions that someone had on their website ten years ago.

:icon_eek:

You're following instructions from 2012?

But everything has changed since then. Literally everything.

What I create is an EPUB file.

The EPUB 3 specification was released in 2011.

EPUB 3.1 came in 2017 but broke backwards compatibility.  Version 3.2 came in 2019 and restored backwards compatibility.  Version 3.3 came out this year.

So, basically, everything I'm doing is fine.  EPUB 3.3 appears to standardize the format for better accessibility options so I'll need to see if I need to make any tweaks to my process to bring it up to 3.3 but that's probably not a big deal.

EPUB is basically a package for HTML and HTML isn't complex.  A lot of my process is cleaning up all the unnecessary HTML crud generated when word processing documents are exported to HTML.  That way, I get smaller files.

Previously, I would take my EPUB and convert it to .mobi before uploading to Amazon.  It now appears that I can skip that step.  So that will be the only major change in what I've been doing.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2022, 12:13:57 AM »
Why do you need an epub for Amazon?

Just curious.

Writer

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2022, 06:15:04 AM »
I use 5x8 because my books tend to be around 50k words and the spines would look too skinny in 6x9. Also because I've used the same size for a dozen years now and like to keep consistent across my catalog.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2022, 08:24:35 AM »

Because evidently I don't need to create a .mobi file anymore?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2022, 10:52:34 AM »

As far as I know, you never needed to in the first place.

Mobi was the end result from Amazon's end, not what you upload. I used to download that file for side loading.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2022, 11:08:29 AM »

As far as I know, you never needed to in the first place.

Mobi was the end result from Amazon's end, not what you upload. I used to download that file for side loading.

I've never downloaded a .mobi from Amazon.  I used KindleGen to create the .mobi file that I uploaded.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2022, 04:05:27 PM »
Given everyone's responses, there doesn't seem to be a standard answer so I'm going to stick with my original inclination of 5.06" x 7.81".

Is there a recommended resolution?  I did my cover at 600 dpi, but my original art is ridiculously large, so I can up that to 1200 dpi if need be.  I have one black and white image for the inside.  Is 600 dpi good there or do I need to go higher?

Gessert Books

• Flash Fiction unlocked
  • Book Layout and Formatting by Phillip Gessert
    • Gessert Books: Book Layout and Formatting
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2022, 02:43:50 AM »
Given everyone's responses, there doesn't seem to be a standard answer so I'm going to stick with my original inclination of 5.06" x 7.81".

Is there a recommended resolution?  I did my cover at 600 dpi, but my original art is ridiculously large, so I can up that to 1200 dpi if need be.  I have one black and white image for the inside.  Is 600 dpi good there or do I need to go higher?

Is it black-and-white as in a continuous-tone greyscale image, like a photo? Or is it black-and-white as in pure 100% black or completely white, like line art? If it's the former, I'd go 300; if it's the latter, I'd go like 900+.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2022, 02:58:38 AM »

Is it black-and-white as in a continuous-tone greyscale image, like a photo? Or is it black-and-white as in pure 100% black or completely white, like line art? If it's the former, I'd go 300; if it's the latter, I'd go like 900+.

It's a photo.

Gessert Books

• Flash Fiction unlocked
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2022, 03:02:34 AM »

It's a photo.

I wouldn't bother going higher than 300dpi in that case. You'll not likely see any benefit in 600dpi for a grayscale photo on the inside.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2022, 06:49:39 AM »
Well, fingers-crossed, with any luck, I might be publishing a book tomorrow.  The eBook first.  Just need to do the final ePub compilation, generation and validation then that's done and hopefully Amazon accepts it.  If not, maybe I can sneak the .mobi in.

The paperback is formatted.  Just have to export it to a PDF.  Cover is done too unless I do some final tweaks tonight.  I'll have to get a proof copy and all that before the paperback can go live, so there will be a lag between the eBook going up and the paperback going up, but I think that's okay since none of my other books have paperbacks at all.

alhawke

« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2022, 11:31:30 AM »
Well, fingers-crossed, with any luck, I might be publishing a book tomorrow. 
Congrats!  :banana:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2022, 03:44:16 PM »
Well, fingers-crossed, with any luck, I might be publishing a book tomorrow.  The eBook first.  Just need to do the final ePub compilation, generation and validation then that's done and hopefully Amazon accepts it.  If not, maybe I can sneak the .mobi in.

Well, it took longer than expected and at times I feared this book might never be published, but the ePub is finally done and validated and Apple's Books app opens it without issue.  Next step will be to see if Amazon accepts it.

And I might decide to replace the JPEG and GIF images with PNGs first because I don't like how they show up in dark mode.

Gessert Books

• Flash Fiction unlocked
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2022, 10:54:01 PM »

Well, it took longer than expected and at times I feared this book might never be published, but the ePub is finally done and validated and Apple's Books app opens it without issue.  Next step will be to see if Amazon accepts it.

And I might decide to replace the JPEG and GIF images with PNGs first because I don't like how they show up in dark mode.

Amazon does not support PNG images, and just converts them to JPG if they exist in your ebook.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2022, 12:51:29 AM »

Amazon does not support PNG images, and just converts them to JPG if they exist in your ebook.

Amazon doesn't support a format that's been around for 25 years?  OMG.  :eek:

:icon_rofl:

Gessert Books

• Flash Fiction unlocked
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2022, 01:31:28 AM »

Amazon doesn't support a format that's been around for 25 years?  OMG.  :eek:

:icon_rofl:

Correct. Also the EPUB3 spec debuted around ten years ago, EPUB2 (still in very wide use) more like 15. Things don’t change all that quickly in this area.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2022, 06:32:43 AM »
The eBook is in "Publishing" status while the paperback is "In Review" status.  The paperback is going to be ridiculously expensive and even at that my royalty is paltry.  I'm guessing Amazon is making money off what they list as the print cost so they make out pretty good.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2022, 08:51:18 AM »
Well, shoot.  Now I am probably going to have to redo all my eBooks.  The ePub I uploaded for my space opera looks good in the "Look Inside" unlike the "Look Inside" for all my other books which displayed wonky even though the Previewer showed them fine.  And the cover shows up so much crisper than all my other covers despite having used high resolution versions for all of them.

Will probably redo the eBooks one at a time as I do paperbacks for each one.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2022, 02:07:08 AM »
Oy.  I had the bleed set 0.033" (which is about 1/32") too small on my cover, which the Previewer showed as fine yesterday, so it got rejected.  That amounts to 1/64" top and bottom which basically means it would never have been a problem because if the cover was trimmed that far off for it to be a problem, that cover would have looked off-centered or crooked as heck.

Anyway, fixed now.  So, back to "In Review" status.

At least the eBook is available, not that anyone's buying.  But I haven't sent to my list yet either or put in on my website.  Plan on sending to my list once the paperback is available, not that anyone will buy that expensive thing, but it will make the eBook look like a steal.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2022, 02:19:55 AM »
Oy.  I had the bleed set 0.033" (which is about 1/32") too small on my cover

Err, why not use the templates?

I use them as an assembly background, then hide it when doing the pdf. As long as you put everything in the right place, and use the right template, you don't get that sort of problem.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2022, 02:28:23 AM »
Oy.  I had the bleed set 0.033" (which is about 1/32") too small on my cover

Err, why not use the templates?

I use them as an assembly background, then hide it when doing the pdf. As long as you put everything in the right place, and use the right template, you don't get that sort of problem.

I did use the template.  But the line marking the edge of the template shows up about the same size as the tiny 0.0165" gap in the background image on the top and bottom.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2022, 02:34:00 AM »
I did use the template.  But the line marking the edge of the template shows up about the same size as the tiny 0.0165" gap in the background image on the top and bottom.

I use a background image which can be dragged out in any direction. Makes it easier to fit.

Then I fit the actual images into the slots, within the white areas. No loss of image to the book cutters either.

spin52

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2022, 12:42:09 AM »
I use 5 x 8 because anything else looks too big and too skinny (my books are about 60-65,000 words). Unfortunately the smallest Amazon hardcovers are slightly bigger, so I have to re-format for those, but it's not a big deal. Because my books all tend to be about the same length, I have a trusty template that I can use over and over. Same goes for the cover, which I do on Canva. 

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2023, 07:58:31 AM »
5.25 x 8

This is what I've chosen to go for. It used to be the recommended size, not sure when the 6 x 9 stuff came in. I've gone back and forth on going smaller, but I had to make a choice. lol My books tend to be about 55K words, so don't want to be too large and have them look skimpy.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

LilyBLily

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2023, 01:21:39 PM »
Same here. I also use glossy covers, which I believe hides a lot of imperfections and reminds readers that these are genre books. The genre mass market paperbacks I grew up reading were all glossy.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2023, 01:31:35 PM »
I've been using the 5.06" x 7.81" size which I've been happy with.  It's the closest to the mass market paperback size of 4.25" x 6.87" that Amazon doesn't offer.

I have been using the matte covers though.  It's a nicer feel.  It does show fingerprints but I've found they can be cleaned off.

Lynn

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2023, 01:40:54 PM »
Same here. I also use glossy covers, which I believe hides a lot of imperfections and reminds readers that these are genre books. The genre mass market paperbacks I grew up reading were all glossy.
I also like the glossy covers best, as a reader and a publisher. :)

My current size for paperbacks is 5 x 8 but I have a pen name where I use 5.5 x 8.5 and I like it so much better. If I ever redo my paperbacks, I'll go with it for everything. It handles both fatter and thinner books well. The 5 x 8 was great for the 50k word long books I intended to write (and I do have a few) but it is a terrible choice for all the 90k+ long books I've ended up writing. I like comfortable margins, leading, and text that is 11.5 to 12 pt. That puts my longer books in the 400+ page range and forces me to occasionally drop down to 11 pt.
Don't rush me.

LilyBLily

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2023, 10:36:01 PM »
I leave my size the same for my 50k and my 100k books. The women's fiction readers expect a fat book. Sweet romance readers are used to much skinnier books since most sweet romances are short reads.

I haven't experimented with my couple of freebie novellas as paperbacks yet. Those might come across as pamphlets at the 5.25 x 8 size. I haven't been in physical bookstores enough in recent years to know if trad pubs still occasionally hand out freebie shorts, and if they do, if these sample books still are in mass market size as they historically have been. Anybody seen any?     

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2023, 11:35:53 AM »
Silly question, but I can't get my head around it. If your cover is 6 x 9, is the 3.2mm bleed area placed inside or outside that 6 x 9?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2023, 12:42:53 PM »
Silly question, but I can't get my head around it. If your cover is 6 x 9, is the 3.2mm bleed area placed inside or outside that 6 x 9?

Outside.  The bleed area extends past the intended print size.  That's to allow for any movement of the paper through the press.  Without the bleed, you'd run the risk of uneven white edges or borders if the image printed slightly off on the paper or if the cut was slightly off.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2023, 06:40:10 PM »

Outside.  The bleed area extends past the intended print size.  That's to allow for any movement of the paper through the press.  Without the bleed, you'd run the risk of uneven white edges or borders if the image printed slightly off on the paper or if the cut was slightly off.

Ah! Now I get it. Thanks!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2023, 07:05:11 PM »

That's why I use the downloaded template.

I use a solid colour background which gets stretched to the edges, then the images placed over the top in the correct places.

When there's printing error, it's usually in that solid background colour section.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2023, 11:32:41 PM »
I feel as if I've said this in another thread, but size is mostly a matter of preference. We should each do what seems right to us.

Personally, I'm a 6 X 9 guy. Aside from one book (which no longer has a paperback), the works I have in paperback are all long enough that the size doesn't seem odd to me.

I've had a lot of experience with print books. I've accumulated at least seven thousand of them--don't judge!--and I have them shelved mostly by size to avoid wasting space. In the old days when I still had room and used to reshelf  once a year to incorporate new purchases, it was hard not to notice that 6 X 9 was by far the most common size. It is true that the total includes various genres, including nonfiction, as well as hard covers, Still, 6 X 9 was big even in the genre in which I write. The second biggest were the mass-market paperbacks of old, which were smaller. In the days in which I bought a lot of them, they were literally pocket books--they fit in your pocket.

It's also worth noting that the print costs are determined by number of pages, not size of pages. That means a slightly larger print size is slightly less expensive to produce.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter