Author Topic: Word cloud activation issues  (Read 1281 times)

alhawke

Word cloud activation issues
« on: August 15, 2023, 12:39:34 AM »
One of my complaints with the modern era is that our software remains "connected" to a cloud whether we want it to or not. When I got Word, I simply wanted a word processor program. I had no interest in their updates or cloud features.

Now that my gripe is over, why am I being asked to activate my account when accessing a document? I've been using this particular version of Word for a year now. I have full license. Why would it lock me out when I was connected to the internet? Is it because my internet was downloading a large file recently? If it's the latter, does that mean Microsoft has access to my document whenever I'm writing a document? I don't understand why Word has to be connected to the internet at all.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Word cloud activation issues
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2023, 12:41:28 AM »
Exactly which version of Word do you have?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

alhawke

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2023, 12:50:27 AM »
Word for Mac 2021. Office Home & Student.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2023, 01:24:58 AM »
I use an MS Office subscription because I have thirty-plus years of experience with the software and it gives me OneDrive Cloud Storage.  You can turn of Cloud use within the MS Office Suite and the specific tools -- MS Word.

MS Word back-ups up, automatically, to OneDrive and I keep a copy on my local drive.

Also I am person who veers away from "cloud anything." However, OneDrive is private, fast and has saved me from losing a 60k manuscript. Because Onedrive is backed-up up daily, behind the scenes, with a multi-day retention of the backups, I was able to recover the manuscript.

I've turned off notifications but I let the MS Word tool do its job and send my files to the secure storage.

Finally, when I use my laptop in an offline mode, I sync the files from OneDrive to the laptop, before going offline.  When I return to online, the files are automatically saved to the source location.

For my writing, I make an exception to my "screw you cloud" default position.

R.C.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2023, 02:07:57 AM »
Now that my gripe is over, why am I being asked to activate my account when accessing a document? I've been using this particular version of Word for a year now. I have full license.

I know.  It's stupid and a royal pain.  A while back, I purchased a license for a photo editing application.  Now, almost every time I use it, it asks me to login to my account to confirm my license.  Most of the time, I just quit the app and use something else.  I won't be "upgrading" that app the next time they release a new version.  Same with QuarkXPress.  You have to login every five days to verify the license that, you know, you paid big bucks for.

Word for Mac 2021. Office Home & Student.

If you're on a Mac, why are you using Word?  Ugh.  I mean, I get that the current version of Pages pales in comparison to Pages '09 but Word?  Microsoft Word?  You can use Pages or LibreOffice or iA Writer instead.  I know LibreOffice won't require you to login to anything to use it as it's open source software.

Also I am person who veers away from "cloud anything." However, OneDrive is private . . .

How is it private?  If you store your files on OneDrive, those files are monitored.  If they are monitored, I would argue they are not private.

The "cloud" is just a fancy term for "someone else's computer."  If it's someone else's computer and not yours, it is not private.

On a Mac, I would recommend using Time Machine for routine backups and SuperDuper! for maintaining a bootable backup.

For my writing, I keep a copy on a USB thumb drive and another copy on a MicroSD card.  And copies on multiple hard drives.

The only thing I have in the "cloud" are some photos my iPhone automatically backed up to iCloud that I haven't been able to figure out how to get off.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2023, 02:30:25 AM »

How is it private?  If you store your files on OneDrive, those files are monitored.  If they are monitored, I would argue they are not private.

The "cloud" is just a fancy term for "someone else's computer."  If it's someone else's computer and not yours, it is not private.

All true and calls for clarification of my use of the word "private." Unlike Google Docs, Google Drive, Google Mail, and others, with OneDrive I do not receive annoying emails or ADs based on the content of my files.

After too many decades in IT, the last in networking and security, I have no expectations of privacy for anything that transits the internet.  Period. End.

Therefore, OneDrive, IMO, limits the exposure of my work effort to unscrupulous marketing.  Naive? Maybe. Least of the evils? Certainly.

R.C.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2023, 02:39:56 AM »
After too many decades in IT, the last in networking and security, I have no expectations of privacy for anything that transits the internet.  Period. End.

The primary two things I avoid are the "cloud" and software that requires Internet activation.  The former for reasons already discussed and the latter because, if they shut down servers or you have no Internet or whatever, you won't be able to activate and use your software in the future which means your files may be locked into a format you can no longer make use of, rendering them useless and your work lost.  Doesn't matter if those files were stored in the "cloud" or on a local drive if you can't open them either way.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2023, 03:16:56 AM »
...  Doesn't matter if those files were stored in the "cloud" or on a local drive if you can't open them either way.

While I too worry about sunspots taking out the information grid, electricity is always going to be returned. Without electricity, humanity would suffer a mass extinction event.

Your comment about not opening them either way, is my comment about storing files locally. The software runs without the internet... I insist on being able to download the application and I test that it runs without the internet.  (Note: I don't know what a MAC requires but I know the MS Word App on a MAC is not the same as the WinTel version.)

Also, for this note, I tested the offline statement. Using FreeFileSync, I copied 3.26Gb from my OneDrive to my local drive (using sync) in 33 seconds. I then disabled Wi-Fi and opened MS Word and the local WIP.

R.C.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2023, 03:45:41 AM »
While I too worry about sunspots taking out the information grid, electricity is always going to be returned. Without electricity, humanity would suffer a mass extinction event.

I also store my backup hard drive in an EMP-protective storage container when not in use.

I insist on being able to download the application and I test that it runs without the internet.

:thumb18:

I test that I can *install*, activate and run an application without the Internet.

(Note: I don't know what a MAC requires but I know the MS Word App on a MAC is not the same as the WinTel version.)

Microsoft makes a version of MS Word for the media access control (MAC) layer?  How would that even work?   :icon_think:

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2023, 04:06:36 AM »
Microsoft makes a version of MS Word for the media access control (MAC) layer?  How would that even work?   :icon_think:

I know MS makes a Motorola version of most Office apps that will run on later Apple PCs. It is NOT the same App. Documents returned from editing on a MAC are different in terms of formatting and compatibility. The other MS Office App, PowerPoint, Project, have to be run in a VM that emulates the WinTel processor.

R.C.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2023, 04:32:48 AM »
I know MS makes a Motorola version of most Office apps that will run on later Apple PCs. It is NOT the same App. Documents returned from editing on a MAC are different in terms of formatting and compatibility. The other MS Office App, PowerPoint, Project, have to be run in a VM that emulates the WinTel processor.

Apple hasn't used Motorola chips since around 2006 when they switched to Intel.  More recently, they've switched to their own processors though I think there may still be some stragglers on Intel.

Anyway, my subtle attempt at a point is that there is no such thing as a MAC computer.  MAC is not any kind of acronym like PC is.  There are Macintosh computers and that's frequently shortened to just calling a Macintosh computer a Mac.

MAC, however, is an acronym for Medium (or Media) Access Control.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

Lynn

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2023, 05:45:12 AM »
I like Word, but I like LibreOffice Writer better. I have a subscription to Microsoft but it's mostly for OneDrive and the Office suite is just a bonus I occasionally make use of.

I really don't like the fact that you basically have to constantly reactivate your software on the same device with some of these programs. Offline work becomes something you have to manage instead of something you never have to think about.

Writer isn't cloud-based, and there's no worries about activation.

Another benefit: It also has a Save a Copy feature that works more intuitively than Word's does. In Word, Save a Copy is just Save As with a different name. You end up in the document you saved, rather than staying in the document you started in. In Writer, the software lets you save a copy of the file you're working on in any other format or with any other name without affecting the document you're working on. :) I often save a copy of my working file as a text-only file so that I have a very basic file format available in case of a catastrophic failure of some kind. I've never had to use it to recover anything, but I like knowing it's there.
Don't rush me.

alhawke

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2023, 06:06:51 AM »
If you're on a Mac, why are you using Word?  Ugh.  I mean, I get that the current version of Pages pales in comparison to Pages '09 but Word?  Microsoft Word?  You can use Pages or LibreOffice or iA Writer instead.  I know LibreOffice won't require you to login to anything to use it as it's open source software.
I like Word, but I like LibreOffice Writer better. I have a subscription to Microsoft but it's mostly for OneDrive and the Office suite is just a bonus I occasionally make use of.
You guys have me definitely considering LibreOffice in the future.
For now, I can't believe that I purchased a file that the company is asking me to verify that I own when I have no interest whatsoever in their meddling anymore with my program. But, anyway, neither here or there. We have to live in this world, don't we?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2023, 06:09:43 AM by alhawke »

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2023, 06:24:00 AM »
MAC, however, is an acronym for Medium (or Media) Access Control.

I am aware. Give me your MAC address and I'll take it from there.  grint

R.C.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2023, 06:57:35 AM »
You guys have me definitely considering LibreOffice in the future.

I used LibreOffice for about a month or so.  The only thing I really didn't like is that it cannot "remember" where you left off.  There was a workaround, which I tried, but I found it would gradually move.  That is, let's say I stopped writing and saved at the bottom of the 50th paragraph in a story.  The next time I opened the file, the cursor would be at the bottom of the 50th paragraph.  Now, I write another paragraph and save the file again.  Next time I open the file, the cursor is about a line above where I stopped.  No big deal but as I kept writing and saving, the cursor seemed to move one line every time, so, eventually, it's several paragraphs away from where I actually ended.

It's been a few months since I last used it so maybe they've had an update that fixed that.  I don't know.  But I found it annoying because Pages always remembers where I left off, no workarounds required.

It's not as big of a deal in a short story, but it kind of is in a novel.

Other than that, though, I don't recall any major problems.  If I did, I may have written about them in another thread, possibly on this forum.  If not, it's on a Mac forum I frequent.

As a side note, my preferred version of Pages is Pages '09.  Since I can't run that on newer Macs, I use the current version, but I also export to RTF as a backup in case, for whatever reason, I might not be able to open the Pages file in the future.  There should always be something that can open an RTF.

One weird thing is that if you export from the current version of Pages to Pages '09, work on it (or a copy of it) in Pages '09 and then try to open it in the current version of Pages again, it won't work.  (Unless they've fixed that since I last tried but that's doubtful.)  It makes no sense, but it won't open.  In that case, what you have to do is open the file in Pages '09, select all and then copy and paste in a new document.  Save that new document as a Pages '09 file and then you will be able to open it in the current version of Pages again.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2023, 08:24:03 AM »
I've been using OpenOffice since before Apache acquired it.  I made the switch from Microsoft many years ago and haven't looked back.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2023, 09:28:08 AM »
I've been using OpenOffice since before Apache acquired it.  I made the switch from Microsoft many years ago and haven't looked back.

Same here.

Ditched Word for LibreOffice. Ditched Windows for Mac. Never regretted it.

I'm going to buy a Windows machine soon, but only to play Age of Empires II with friends. Microsoft is dead to me. It's like an ex from college. Fun for a while, but ultimately too high maintenance.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2023, 03:50:34 PM »

Same here.

Ditched Word for LibreOffice. Ditched Windows for Mac. Never regretted it.

I'm going to buy a Windows machine soon, but only to play Age of Empires II with friends. Microsoft is dead to me. It's like an ex from college. Fun for a while, but ultimately too high maintenance.

I still use Microsoft's operating system, but that's it.  And my patience with that is running thin.  Microsoft seems hell bent on charging a monthly subscription fee for absolutely everything, and I refuse to rent my computer's OS.  If push comes to shove, I'll switch to Linux.

As for Age of Empires, I never played the sequel, but I have the Rise of Rome expansion disc and played it quite a lot back in the day.    :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2023, 11:47:07 PM »
To go back for a moment to the original issue that opened the thread, I use Office 365 and am never prompted for activation, credentials, or anything else. In that sense, the user experience is smooth.

I use Dropbox for backups, and I've never had a problem with getting unsolicited emails based on my file contents. Because I was a Dropbox user before OneDrive came along, I've never really used OneDrive--voluntarily. It took me quite a while to realize how much got saved to it, even if I was specifically saving somewhere else. Having just gotten a new computer, I went through the process of uninstalling OneDrive.

As for the PC/Mac debate, I think different people will naturally have different tastes. My friends vary a lot, with some partisans on one side and some on the other.

In my case, my preference may be more due to past experience. Personally, I was an Apple IIe guy originally. (I know, that dates me.) Apple lost me with a combination of poor tech support (telling customers to buy a Macintosh if they have an issue is sales, not support) and the deliberate attempt to kill any non-Mac Apple computers. Apple had a IIgs that would have been faster than the existing Macs and killed it before it went into production. Apple also lied about sales figures to make it seem like the decision to focus on Mac was justified. (It did that by omitted all sales to educational institutions, where the IIe still had a lot of fans.) Of the ten colleagues at the high school where I worked who were Apple II users, every single one of them ended up on a PC for the same reason.

Anyway, I've used Macs from time to time and seen nothing that would encourage me to switch. (But again, that's personal taste. I'm not trying to make a dogmatic statement.) I will say that my students were split about 50-50 between PC and Mac, but 90% of the students who claimed they couldn't do what I needed them to do on a computer were Mac users. Every. Single. Year. To be fair, that's not so much a comment on Mac hardware as it is on the advertising strategy that stressed how easy Macs were to use. Over time, I think that caused their customer base, at least at the teenage level, to tilt toward people who weren't the most skilled computer users. When I brought a student problem to our Mac guru, who fortunately was in the room right next door, his response was always. "No, that isn't impossible on the Mac. Here's how you do it."

I was also a little bent out of shape by by way Apple handled LCD projectors, at least when I was still in the classroom (and thus working with hardware a couple computer generations back). I don't know who thought it was a good idea to use a port architecture (to connect to things like projectors--I forget what it was called) that Apple refused to license to major vendors so that Mac support could be built into LCD projectors. Instead, adapter cables were always needed, and at the time, Apple had two different ports that looked the same but weren't. That meant two different adapter cables. Of course, students who brought in their Macbooks from home to use for their presentations never knew which kind of port their Mac had, so there was always fumbling around to get the right cable. Occasionally, students would damage the cable or the port by trying to fit the square peg into a round hole. Good times! I'm sure the whole process is easier now, but the memory of the bad old days still lingers. Did I mention that the whole connection process was entirely seamless with PCs?

No doubt, others have had different experiences. And running your own home office is a lot different from working in a classroom environment and working daily with all kind of different hardware and software, some part of your classroom, some brought from student homes. 

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2023, 12:10:47 AM »
Anyway, I've used Macs from time to time and seen nothing that would encourage me to switch. (But again, that's personal taste. I'm not trying to make a dogmatic statement.)

I am the inverse. I was seriously considering switching to Apple Products because of the lingering mess of the WinTel OS. If MS had not released Win 10, I would have switched. Win 10, now Win 11, are superior in every aspect to the mediocre product MS produced previously.

Is it perfect? Is anything perfect? What I can say is: The stability issues are no longer an issue. Compatibility is not an issue... Unless I want to use an App ONLY CODED FOR APPLE!

Also, while I know Apple has recently improved/increased their processing speeds, but nothing beats a screaming PC.

R.C.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2023, 12:16:41 AM »
In my case, my preference may be more due to past experience. Personally, I was an Apple IIe guy originally. (I know, that dates me.) Apple lost me with a combination of poor tech support (telling customers to buy a Macintosh if they have an issue is sales, not support) and the deliberate attempt to kill any non-Mac Apple computers. Apple had a IIgs that would have been faster than the existing Macs and killed it before it went into production. Apple also lied about sales figures to make it seem like the decision to focus on Mac was justified. (It did that by omitted all sales to educational institutions, where the IIe still had a lot of fans.) Of the ten colleagues at the high school where I worked who were Apple II users, every single one of them ended up on a PC for the same reason.

I was Apple II as well.

But before the Mac came along, I'd gone copy Apple II. That was why Apple went the Mac route, because the IIe was losing market share to the copy IIs.

Rather than go Mac, I went 286 when they first came out running MS Dos, and then went Win 3.1 when it came out. I never looked at Apple again.

The best games of the time, like Wing Commander, ran on 286 IBM compatible computers, using a memory manager program you had to specifically boot to get enough memory to run the games.

Them's was the days.

Being used to the back end of what became Windows, and continually being under the hood as Windows developed, I never went back to Apple. Had no reason to.

The odd times I get forced to look at a Mac, I find them counter intuitive.

I am the inverse. I was seriously considering switching to Apple Products because of the lingering mess of the WinTel OS. If MS had not released Win 10, I would have switched. Win 10, now Win 11, are superior in every aspect to the mediocre product MS produced previously.

I was happy with Win 7. I was happy with Win 8.1 when I had to shift to it about a year after they got it stable. I adjusted to Win 10. I've zero plans to go to Win 11, and am very glad something about my current PC won't allow it to upgrade automatically. I don't like what they did with 11. Still being back end oriented, I find the lack of access in 11 disturbing. 10 was bad enough, but at least what you need is still there. 11 looks like it was all finally removed.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2023, 01:40:26 AM »
I was also a little bent out of shape by by way Apple handled LCD projectors, at least when I was still in the classroom (and thus working with hardware a couple computer generations back). I don't know who thought it was a good idea to use a port architecture (to connect to things like projectors--I forget what it was called) that Apple refused to license to major vendors so that Mac support could be built into LCD projectors. Instead, adapter cables were always needed, and at the time, Apple had two different ports that looked the same but weren't. That meant two different adapter cables. Of course, students who brought in their Macbooks from home to use for their presentations never knew which kind of port their Mac had, so there was always fumbling around to get the right cable. Occasionally, students would damage the cable or the port by trying to fit the square peg into a round hole. Good times! I'm sure the whole process is easier now, but the memory of the bad old days still lingers. Did I mention that the whole connection process was entirely seamless with PCs?

Well, my most recent PC experience is this . . .

We needed to get a PC to drive a piece of equipment for which they only make the software for Windows.  So, we bought a refurbished PC from a local big name PC store.  PC, monitor, keyboard and mouse.  It was on their website and, when you selected a PC, it recommended the specific monitor we got.  Seems simple enough, right?

So, it sits in the boxes as we both wait for the equipment and as I build tables and stuff to put the equipment and computer on.  Finally get to setting everything up including the PC.

The PC has two different output ports for video.

The monitor has two different input ports for video and included one cable.

The cable is for a port the PC does not have.

The port that both the PC and monitor share has no cable.

I have VGA cables, DVI cables, HDMI cables, other assorted video cables, along with various adapters.  But this specific cable is some weird PC-only something-or-other.

So, I ended up having to take a monitor from one of my Macs to use on the PC because the monitor and PC share a port and I have a cable for said port.

Meanwhile, the monitor that was recommended for use with this specific PC sits unused until I look up and write down the cable it needs so we can order it.

:dizzy

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2023, 02:30:35 AM »
The monitor has two different input ports for video and included one cable.
The cable is for a port the PC does not have.
The port that both the PC and monitor share has no cable.
I have VGA cables, DVI cables, HDMI cables, other assorted video cables, along with various adapters.  But this specific cable is some weird PC-only something-or-other.

Is it an oblong port bigger than USB and HDMI, with one corner cut off? If so, that's Display Port, which is the latest video connector for High Definition screens.

Can you post an image of the connector on the cable you did get? And an image of the ports on the back of the computer?

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2023, 03:29:12 AM »
Is it an oblong port bigger than USB and HDMI, with one corner cut off? If so, that's Display Port, which is the latest video connector for High Definition screens.

That sounds vaguely familiar.  It's in the manual.  I just have to look it up.  At the time, it was the weekend and I needed to get stuff set up because we had a job to run on it, so I just had to set the monitor aside and grab one from the Macs that would work.  And then I've never gotten back to the cable issue . . .

If I remember right, the PC has that Display Port and a VGA port.  The monitor has the Display Port and an HDMI port.  The cable that came with the monitor is HDMI.

I ended up using a monitor that has HDMI and VGA.

The thing is if you're going to sell a PC and recommend a monitor to go with it, how about actually including the necessary cables to actual connect the PC to the recommended monitor?

Who knows?  Maybe their website's recommendation engine was using AI.  :icon_rofl:

LilyBLily

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2023, 04:02:56 AM »
I used to have a Wing Commander t-shirt. Great shirt--the lettering was on one sleeve. Wing, get it? It was a long-sleeve t-shirt.

I've got a bunch of PCs and each runs on a different iteration of Windows. I don't upgrade them. I run Word 2002 only on one, and Word 2003 on another, and both Word 2002 and Word 2010 on a third. That last keeps trying to take over the universe whenever I open a .docx file, but I beat it back and stop it. My clients are using Microsoft 365, for sure, but so far, there haven't been any serious interface problems. Except once, the letters of a list were bizarre symbols.

I've used OneDrive, DropBox, and Box so far with clients. Of the three, OneDrive seems the simplest. DropBox makes me queasy because I can't figure out what I have shared and what is private.

There's an extra Mac in my home office that I used years ago to upload to Apple. These days, I upload files for Apple to D2D and happily so. And everything Apple is supposed to be so simple and intuitive. Ha!

One of my PCs doesn't have Adobe anything installed, so every time I want to open a pdf, Edge starts up and then Microsoft asks that I sign in. I don't, and the dialogue box goes away, and I continue reading the pdf. I don't know what that's about. 

Matthew

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2023, 04:46:56 PM »
One of my complaints with the modern era is that our software remains "connected" to a cloud whether we want it to or not. When I got Word, I simply wanted a word processor program. I had no interest in their updates or cloud features.

Now that my gripe is over, why am I being asked to activate my account when accessing a document? I've been using this particular version of Word for a year now. I have full license. Why would it lock me out when I was connected to the internet?
I feel your pain. I recently bought a physical piece of hardware that would not let you download the driver without creating an online account. But as for most software, there are usually some timeouts, even if you remained connected to the internet. On occasion, they just want you to login again. So I would try doing that. Since the licenses these days are tied to your Microsoft account and they keep track of what computer you're installing it on, activating the same computer should not cause problems by simply logging into your Microsoft account from within Word.

I don't know, pretty much everything these days, even if it's a one-time purchase, still requires an internet connection for license activation. Drives me somewhat crazy. There's fewer options every year...

If all you have is a Mac I'm sure Pages is adequate. But I have a mix of Mac/PC. Besides, Word is more or less the publishing industry standard. From my own personal experience, even Word on Mac blows LibreOffice Writer out of the water. I mean, Writer can't even do font rendering correctly (it has the worst kerning I've ever seen). It doesn't even have grammar tools aside from a basic spellcheck.

In this case I also echo the value I find in Microsoft 365. But it's an internet-connected subscription service. The upside is the cloud storage and full Office apps for 5 computers vs. the one-time purchases one computer. It also now has a feature similar to Google Docs, wherein you can have the same document open on multiple computers and seamlessly edit across multiple computers at once. I find that valuable, if only because I forget to close and save my documents on my desktop, so it's nice that I can open up my laptop and have the documents automatically up-to-date and editable, and when I return to the desktop all my changes are already there.

I've found LibreOffice Writer and Google Docs slow down quite a bit with anything approaching novel-sized, even if it's only text. So far I haven't had a problem with Word. Well, if Word disappeared tomorrow I could make do with LibreOffice Writer. But I would grumble the whole time. Some of it is just personal preference. But if you have absolutely no money or never want to ever worry about online software activation shenanigans, I still think LibreOffice Writer is the best free software out there for the job.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2023, 01:55:10 AM »

That sounds vaguely familiar.  It's in the manual.  I just have to look it up.  At the time, it was the weekend and I needed to get stuff set up because we had a job to run on it, so I just had to set the monitor aside and grab one from the Macs that would work.  And then I've never gotten back to the cable issue . . .

If I remember right, the PC has that Display Port and a VGA port.  The monitor has the Display Port and an HDMI port.  The cable that came with the monitor is HDMI.

I ended up using a monitor that has HDMI and VGA.

The thing is if you're going to sell a PC and recommend a monitor to go with it, how about actually including the necessary cables to actual connect the PC to the recommended monitor?

Who knows?  Maybe their website's recommendation engine was using AI.  :icon_rofl:

The seller is clearly in the wrong in that situation. Products recommended to go with each other definitely should actually be able to connect.

I had to buy a new computer recently. My old one (4 1/2 years) was moving toward a state in which the fan ran almost constantly, a possible indication that the cooling system is about to fail. My service plan had run out at the four-year mark, anyway, so I thought I'd get a more recent system.

Dell did recommend a monitor, but I also checked the specs on the computer and monitor to make sure both of them had the same connection. (The monitor has multiple options; the PC is display port only.)

If one is buying online (which most of us probably do now), it's always good to check the specs, and don't shop with someone who doesn't make them available.

Because I ended up with a new box, I ended up with Windows 11, which I intended not to get until I had no choice. I adjusted to it very quickly. It does have audio problems with a particular game.  I may eventually get those worked out. Otherwise, I adapted to it very quickly and have had no problems.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2023, 10:39:05 AM »
FWIW, a bit like Bill, I have few problems. I have an Office 365 subscription that allows up to five machines, and I regularly switch between a Win 10 PC, an iMac 2015, and this Samsung tablet, accessing the same file on OneDrive and it all works fine. I never have to reactivate anything. The iMac was a lucky score. I live in a small country town and whenever I upgrade my computer, I go see the local computer store and we discuss, and I buy, exactly what I need. If something goes wrong, I can go bash on his door.
The iMac has me close to turning to the Dark Side and Mac, but that local, personal service can't be beaten.

Lynn

« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2023, 09:12:09 AM »

I've found LibreOffice Writer and Google Docs slow down quite a bit with anything approaching novel-sized, even if it's only text. So far I haven't had a problem with Word. Well, if Word disappeared tomorrow I could make do with LibreOffice Writer. But I would grumble the whole time. Some of it is just personal preference. But if you have absolutely no money or never want to ever worry about online software activation shenanigans, I still think LibreOffice Writer is the best free software out there for the job.

For me, it's the opposite. I have several docs that are simply my entire series in one document, over 1,000,000 words, and Writer gives me no problems at all, but Word chokes when I try to search. Since the whole purpose of the documents are to make it easy to search my entire series in one go, Writer wins on this one every time for me. :) (I tried to switch to Word again late last year when I renewed my subscription for the umpteenth time but this issue cropped up even with the newest version of Word.)

I also write my novels in one document. I tend to write shorter novels, but I do have four or five that went over 90,000 words. None of them have given me a single hiccup on Writer.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2023, 09:14:18 AM by Lynn »
Don't rush me.