Author Topic: Scapple? Anyone using this program?  (Read 1595 times)

okey dokey

Scapple? Anyone using this program?
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:33:16 AM »
It looks like it could be used to create ideas for a plot chart.

Gerri Attrick

Re: Scapple? Anyone using this program?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 01:09:04 AM »
Yes, me!

I really like Scapple, far more than its bigger brother Scrivener. I have a love/hate relationship with Scriv and rarely use it these days, but I nearly always use Scapple for jotting down my thoughts on a new project before moving on to plotting out my story in the same programme.
Its interface is so easy to use in comparison with Scrivener and I love the way it allows me to shift notes about and link them, add to them, highlight them, and everything else.

Definitely a fan.  :heart:

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

okey dokey

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 01:28:28 AM »
Thanks Gerri
I'm still trying to get a handle on the Scrivener corkboard.
Scapple sounds like just what I need.

VanessaC

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 02:50:49 AM »
I downloaded a trial copy ages ago - Literature and Latte have an incredibly generous trial period which (from memory) is thirty days' use, which are non-consecutive, so you can spread them out.

It seemed like it would be a great program for jotting down notes, brainstorming ideas, and so on.  And I'm sure that's how it works for many people, however my brain just wouldn't deal with brainstorming by typing. I quickly realised that when I'm brainstorming I like pen and paper, even if that means multiple sheets of paper.  It might have been different if I'd had one of those fancy tablets with a stylus I could use as a pen, but for me typing random bits didn't work at all.

On the other hand, I love scrivener but I use that for writing, when I've got my basic premise already decided.

Because if the generous trial period, there's nothing to lose by giving it a go - it might be just what you need.

:tap

Genre: Fantasy

APP

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 03:04:01 AM »
I've been using it since the product came out. I use it in conjunction with scrivener. When I'm writing chapters and scenes, I jot down what each scene and chapter is about. As I get further into the book, I can easily refer back to what I've written (when and where), or I can see I have yet to include something that needs to be included in the book.

For a story or novelette, it's probably not that useful. But for a novella, a novel or a series, I wouldn't be without it.

The following users thanked this post: Ghost5

okey dokey

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 10:30:10 AM »
Thanks Vanessa and APP
I'll give the free trial a go