Author Topic: KDP Paperback printing error makes all my books unsellable  (Read 2304 times)

Joe Vasicek

KDP Paperback printing error makes all my books unsellable
« on: January 09, 2019, 11:51:57 AM »
I recently ordered $100 worth of author copies in order to sell at conventions, etc, and discovered that ALL of them have an identical printing error that was not present in the proof copies that I approved. The front cover bleeds into the spine by as much as 2-3 millimeters and is clearly visible on EVERY book.

For the record, I used KDP Paperback's cover creator to make these covers and did not screw with the placement of the front cover image after I uploaded it. It's obvious to me now that the cover creator is flawed, and I will not be using it in the future.

If I cannot resolve this issue with KDP customer support, or if the new covers I upload have the same problems, I will be forced to pull all my books from KDP Paperback and go with someone else.

Needless to say, I am pissed.

LilyBLily

Re: KDP Paperback printing error makes all my books unsellable
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 12:42:55 PM »
When I have complained to CS about spine problems in the past, I was told they allowed themselves  a certain margin of error--one that I consider a very whopping margin of error. Since then I've asked my cover designers to make sure there's a soft color transition from front cover to spine and back.

Complain that the printed books are not like the proof and you want a new batch, done right.

The following users thanked this post: Nazri Noor

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 12:50:39 PM »
The real lesson, I believe, is not to use KDP's cover creator.

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2019, 04:03:30 PM »
New development:

I unpublished all of my KDP Paperback titles. For my title GENESIS EARTH, which I migrated over from CreateSpace, Amazon is now selling a paperback copy for $2.07… and has price-matched the ebook to the paperback price. After I unpublished the paperback.

What the actual f*ck, Amazon??

Also, the ebook edition no longer appears on my Amazon author page, along with a couple of other ebooks for which I unpublished the paperbacks. And unless I'm mistaken, the ebook is no longer available in the UK store.

:littleclap :littleclap :littleclap :littleclap :littleclap

This is f*cked up beyond all recognition. f*ck me.  :HB

She-la-te-da

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2019, 09:49:14 PM »
The Glitch is strong with Amazon. I hear about so many things that are screwed up, it's crazy. I personally think KDP is too big to handle with bots, and they have no intention of putting real people on the issues, so glitches and outright f*ck ups aren't going away any time soon. I'm waiting for the entire system to collapse, frankly.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 11:20:33 PM »
That stinks.  Sympathies and crossing my fingers that you get a full refund.

ilamont

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 04:12:26 AM »
I've had off-center spine problems with both Amazon/Createspace and Ingram. Both claimed they were allowed a certain amount of wiggle room, and denied my requests to be reimbursed.

I ended up fast-tracking a cover redesign and had the designer make a change that made off-center spines less obvious. I don't consider this to be an issue any longer - it happens, but it's just not noticeable.
I am the author of Lean Media: How to focus creativity, streamline production, and create media that audiences love. Lean Media website, Lean Media blog. I am also the publisher of IN 30 MINUTES guides.

Follow me on Twitter at @ilamont.

littleauthor

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 12:27:29 AM »
The Glitch is strong with Amazon. I hear about so many things that are screwed up, it's crazy. I personally think KDP is too big to handle with bots, and they have no intention of putting real people on the issues, so glitches and outright f*ck ups aren't going away any time soon. I'm waiting for the entire system to collapse, frankly.
Me too. My central nervous system can only handle putting out one fire at a time.
"Not working to her full potential."

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2019, 12:47:46 AM »
Amazon will try to do better with it once enough customer complaints come in. That's not a good system, but it is the way Amazon operates.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter