Author Topic: I've had it with Keurig  (Read 1489 times)

guest957

I've had it with Keurig
« on: December 01, 2018, 04:53:13 AM »
Can anyone recommend a coffee maker that they like that's worked for longer than 18 months, that doesn't leak all over the damned counter every time I brew a cup, and doesn't need to be wrestled with every 10-14 days (with toothpicks no less!) because it got a few teensy weensy coffee grounds in its stupid pouring-spout-thingy?

I get that planned obsolescence is a thing in these modern greedy times and Keurig would love nothing more than for me to get frustrated and toss this thing into a landfill for a beaver to choke on and go buy a new one - or better yet spend months mailing the idiotic machine back and forth to them at their headquarters on Jupiter so that their "technicians" can "optimize" it or whatever they call it, but at this point I'm ready to go old school and get myself a 20 or 30 year old Black & Decker coffee maker.

Yeah, yeah, those things broke too sometimes, but I remember having them or similar brands around the office or at home and they put up with a lot of abuse and kept ticking away, pouring out cup after delicious cup...okay, okay, it wasn't always delicious, but the damn thing still poured - and that's even after Bob from Accounting knocked the whole kit'n'caboodle onto the floor (mind you, the glass pitcher didn't make out so well in that deal).

I should've learned not to buy another Keurig after watching my father go through six of the dang things last year alone as the company kept replacing them because of issues with water leaks. Dang you Costco with your eye-catching end-of-the-aisle displays offering a "great deal" on a new Keurig machine. I won't be fooled again (yeah, right).

You know - not to get all "you kids get off my lawn" on you - BUT, there was a time things were made to last...or at least, last longer and work more reliably than this volcanically incompetent Keurig paperweight I've currently got taking up valuable real estate next to my refrigerator.

I know, I know, first world problems, I could have it so much worse and yada yada yada...I get it...but I'm cranky when I get up to start writing and can't have my writing steroids (er, java) because this ridiculously fragile Keurig contraption decides it can't pour water out of it a whole TEN DAYS after I'd just spent hours cleaning and descaling the friggin' thing.

Serenity now!  :evil2:

EllieL

Re: I've had it with Keurig
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 05:46:12 AM »
Oh I hear you.
I have a Hamilton Beach Flexbrew. So far no problems, and I can use all those Keurig pods if I want, as well as use regular grounds in the easy to use teensy reusable filter that came with it.
Historical and contemporary romance

Signature Tool Alpha Test

Eric Thomson

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 06:25:19 AM »
I donated our Keurig to my wife's office canteen in large part because of the landfill waste those damned K-cups generate.  I now buy whole coffee beans and use a coffee grinder and a French press.  It's a lot cheaper, quick and easy to clean and after a year of real brew instead of instant K-cup krap, I can't stand the taste of anything that comes out of a Keurig any more.  Takes me all of five minutes in the morning to get my java fix and thirty seconds to wash out the French press.
 :cheers

The following users thanked this post: HSh, Anarchist

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2018, 06:42:29 AM »
I use one of those simple one-cup, bottom-dispensing things. I prefer it over the french press because I can use a filter, so no grounds in my coffee, plus easier cleanup.

Lex

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2018, 10:02:56 AM »
I had one of those giant Bunn machines for years. Actually... I think I had three of them, as their design life seemed to be about 2-3 years, so I know the struggle.

I switched to a French press and an electric kettle a year ago, and I will never buy an "automatic" coffee machine ever again. (Also, I bought a stainless steel model because I'd have broken one made of glass within a week. I'm a klutz.)

The following users thanked this post: HSh

guest957

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2018, 08:00:18 PM »
Okay, y'all have convinced me a French press is the way to go. I think I'll be looking into that. Thanks.  :cheers