Author Topic: [NaNoWriMo] Go ... And Stop.  (Read 17355 times)

elleoco

Re: [NaNoWriMo] Okay, one month to go ...
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »
Thanks for the info. I'm glad I investigated this thread and found out about the scrambling. Tried it on a test document. Piece of cake.

Jo

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2018, 09:52:41 PM »
I'm also in, also as a rogue finishing several stories which will make up roughly 50k.  :angel:
Jo

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2018, 05:31:14 AM »
I do the replace thing, and never worry about uploading. As for me, I'm in too. I'm also going for a lot more than 50,000. I'm in for... 200k  :icon_cool:

6.6K words per day. Good for you!

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2018, 02:29:59 PM »
I do the replace thing, and never worry about uploading. As for me, I'm in too. I'm also going for a lot more than 50,000. I'm in for... 200k  :icon_cool:

We're not worthy, we're not worthy!   :bowing: :bowing:

I did 105K a couple of years ago. I think it just about killed me.  :angel:
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Rose Andrews

• Short Story unlocked
  • Historical Western & 20th Century Romance
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2018, 04:30:42 PM »

But this year I've written roughly 65-70k a month for 7 months straight. Sounds like a lot, but writing is my one and only job, and I have very little in the way of distractions. (Why can't the forum go down again? Curses!)
SO jelly! Although I do love my day job (veterinary assistant here) and wouldn't trade it for the world, I do remember the years I spent at home with my son and wrote all the time. I still do write a lot but it doesn't get to be daily anymore. Now it's 4x per week, which is why I'm doing NaNo this year. It would be nice to write every day again, even if it's a small amount of words. My project will be book one of a new series...as if I need more series to write like hairs on my head.  :shrug
20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest | Instagram

Jo

« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2018, 06:20:47 PM »

:icon_eek:

I will be lucky to finish the 50k.

Jo

cecilia_writer

« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2018, 07:09:52 PM »
I'm now officially on the run-up to NaNo as I have forced myself to stop writing the historical thing and re-tuned my mind to mystery. This morning, after two hours' thought, I've managed to come up with a title I like, and fortunately that has also given me a plot direction.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2018, 02:59:01 AM »
Only two days of freedom left.

Went fishing yesterday—no more of that once Nano starts.

Jo

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2018, 03:22:24 AM »
All primed and ready.
Jo

cecilia_writer

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2018, 03:38:00 AM »
Ready as I'll ever be!

lyndabelle

« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2018, 04:23:38 AM »
I got a novella lined up and an erotic short series to finish. I'm all in. Don't care if I make the 50k goal, just daily writing to get those two projects done. NaNo is so motivating, it's okay not to win but just get something done.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2018, 06:59:00 PM »
I'll be following this thread as an impressed onlooker, cheering everyone on!

I've never thought of NaNo before and it is too late to gear myself up this year, but I will follow your vicissitudes with interest.

If you make it sound good, I'll have a go next year. :writethink:

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

Keith Ward

Re: [NaNoWriMo] Okay, two days to go ...
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »
I'm in for the third year. I hit 50k the first year, but only did 30k last year. Very excited to give it a shot!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2018, 10:01:14 PM »
This is number 7 for me I think, but it's been a while.

My Nano profile: https://nanowrimo.org/participants/simon-haynes

I don't anticipate any problems, apart from the fact my house just went on the market and I might have to move out later in the month ...

So, I might try and get the 50k done in the first 3 weeks, just in case.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2018, 10:02:49 PM »
I think there's a way of verifying with the whole thing replaced by xxx or something (there may be instructions somewhere on the website) but personally I can't be bothered doing that. Probably too tired by verification time.

The idea of uploading a WIP to them bothers me too, more than Al since it stops me from participating. I'll look around the website and see if there's actually something like the xxx thing.

If you're using yWriter, there's an 'export to Nano' options which changes every letter of the alphabet to the letter n.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #65 on: October 31, 2018, 01:07:50 AM »

You can also do Campnanowrimo.org in April and/or July.

The following users thanked this post: Kay Inglis

Kay Inglis

« Reply #66 on: October 31, 2018, 01:20:10 AM »

You can also do Campnanowrimo.org in April and/or July.

Thanks. April could be good.

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #67 on: October 31, 2018, 01:51:18 AM »
For some reason, I feel as if I'm writing into the dark even though I've got most of the characters, plot, and the timeline down:

Rick Partlow

« Reply #68 on: October 31, 2018, 09:55:23 AM »
I am actually going to do NaNoWriMo this year for the first time ever.  I have 19 books written, 17 of them in the last 7 years but I have never started one right at November 1 before.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #69 on: October 31, 2018, 11:28:57 AM »
I pushed the buy button on the new Macbook Air this morning, so I guess I'll be doing some writing at Starbucks.

YouMeWe

« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2018, 10:48:05 PM »
Good luck to everyone taking part. I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines. *insert pom-pom waving emoji here*
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

The following users thanked this post: Edward M. Grant

elleoco

Re: [NaNoWriMo] Okay, one day to go ...
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2018, 08:24:36 AM »
Well, I'm giving it a try and have managed the first day, although anything over 1,000 words is a high count for me so keeping it up will be hard.

Heaven knows I need a kick in the tush of some sort and just posting xxx words in some thread every day doesn't do it. Maybe the idea of "winning" in NaNo will do it since I have a nasty competitive streak, especially if I vow to admit win/fail somewhere public like this, which I am hereby doing.

Endless Wave

Re: [NaNoWriMo] Okay, one day to go ...
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2018, 11:11:44 AM »
Whoo hoo, first day of Nanowrimo!  Good luck, everybody who's participating!

ragdoll

Re: [NaNoWriMo] Go ...
« Reply #73 on: November 02, 2018, 02:14:02 PM »
Day 1: 1152 (WIP 1)

Plan is hit 50k minimum across two projects, finishing WIP 1 by November 11th. I have about 30k words to go to finish that book. Then from 12-30th, I will work on a new book from scratch in a totally new genre.

Rick Partlow

« Reply #74 on: November 02, 2018, 10:18:40 PM »
Got to 3300 words on day one.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2018, 11:15:50 PM »
I don't think I will be posting updates here every day as well as on the NaNo site, so this is just to say I've got started, and I'm currently on 3,000 words halfway through day 2.
I didn't like having to start on a Thursday, because that's the end of my work week and I am always very tired, but thanks to the lack of anything interesting to watch on tv I managed to reach the target.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #76 on: November 10, 2018, 11:38:05 AM »
Help, what a slog!

I think I'm having more trouble with this book than with any other, but maybe I've just forgotten how hard writing can be sometimes. In past Camp Nanos, I've gotten way ahead with some days over 4K words. This time I don't hit my target until dinner time or later (and that's starting at seven AM).

Perhaps it's that I find it unpleasant to write a legal thriller, always imagining what it would be like to be accused of a crime.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #77 on: November 10, 2018, 12:45:00 PM »
I'm behind on my wordcount, but I have a ton of things in my life claiming my attention right now. (Preparing to sell my house, find a new house and move, for example.)

I'm still plugging away, but I'm going to need to up the speed a little if I'm going to make it.

Keith Ward

« Reply #78 on: November 10, 2018, 02:16:44 PM »
I was ahead until today. I'm a few hundred words behind now, but still hanging in.

elleoco

« Reply #79 on: November 10, 2018, 02:45:54 PM »
I'm behind but not enough to give up. A couple of 2,000-word a day days would fix me. On the plus side, it's having the salutary effect of getting me to actually write every day. I did that for one month because of the thread that was supposed to be competitive, but when it turned out not to be, that was all for me. Just posting a number in a thread every day doesn't do it for me. I seem to need a pass/fail situation. Eventually the need for income would get me going, but I'd rather solve this problem before it gets to that point.

LilyBLily

« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2018, 03:07:54 PM »
I'm behind because of traveling and getting a cold, but today I put on a burst of speed. High hopes for tomorrow.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2018, 05:27:52 PM »
I just finished 23K today, but I'm heading for 70K by the time I'm finished.
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

cecilia_writer

« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2018, 06:44:25 PM »
I'm trying to get a bit ahead over this weekend as I have to go away for a few days for work next week. Sometimes I can write quite a lot on the train but I can't rely on that. I am on 17,000 words at the start of Saturday.

elleoco

« Reply #83 on: November 11, 2018, 01:02:25 PM »
Well, one thing I've found out for sure. You know all the advice that you have to just get the first draft out, don't stop to edit, etc.? I've always been an edit-as-you-go person. So in this NaNo draft, I'm going along, come to a spot where I realize I want something in a previous chapter that isn't there. Like a zooming first drafter, I stick in a note and kept going - for a while. And I kept going slower and slower because the need to add that something and straighten out what came before and after so it fit smoothly bothered me more and more. In the end it was go back and fix or fuss and fume over it so much nothing else would get done.

Some part of me always believed I'd be better off doing the draft straight through thing. Now I know it's never going to happen. For me The Other Way isn't a choice but a compulsion.

VanessaC

« Reply #84 on: November 11, 2018, 09:24:06 PM »
Well, one thing I've found out for sure. You know all the advice that you have to just get the first draft out, don't stop to edit, etc.? I've always been an edit-as-you-go person. So in this NaNo draft, I'm going along, come to a spot where I realize I want something in a previous chapter that isn't there. Like a zooming first drafter, I stick in a note and kept going - for a while. And I kept going slower and slower because the need to add that something and straighten out what came before and after so it fit smoothly bothered me more and more. In the end it was go back and fix or fuss and fume over it so much nothing else would get done.

Some part of me always believed I'd be better off doing the draft straight through thing. Now I know it's never going to happen. For me The Other Way isn't a choice but a compulsion.

I can really relate to this. I write in scrivener, so my scenes are in different "files", which does make it easy to jump back and forth, although I have realised I much prefer writing in order.

The few times I've tried to press on ahead when I know something in the past needs changing, it's ended up being a total mess and what felt like hours of revision. So much easier to go back and make the changes when it's fresh in my mind. Doing it this way takes a few minutes, then everything flows better and I can move on much more freely.

Genre: Fantasy

Simon Haynes

« Reply #85 on: November 11, 2018, 10:44:10 PM »
I'm about halfway through the first novel I want to complete this month (a 28k middle grade novel), and it's going well.  I have a second MG novel lined up for the rest of the month, too.

Still a fraction behind on the wordcount, but I think this coming week is going to offer me a bit more writing time and a lot less drama.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2018, 12:58:50 AM »
Just bashed out 3000 words. That fixed my lagging word count all right!

LilyBLily

« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2018, 01:28:23 AM »
I like paying attention to the word count, posting it, and doing 5-15 minute sprints with total strangers on NaNo to push the count. I may end up with a hot mess but then I have something to revise.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2018, 04:48:31 AM »
I've reached just over 24,000 words at the end of Sunday but I expect to fall back quite a bit as the week goes on.
I have characters and an end-point but the in between part is only now taking shape, which is how I like it.

Tiffmeister

« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2018, 06:14:46 PM »
I finally figured out a project to write, but I don't think I'm going to win. I'm just happy to be part of the writing frenzy that is this month. I won last year, so I'm not having to prove anything. I have won 2 times now out of 4. But I did get an idea to write a supernatural romance out of the blue. So, I went for it and have, by day 11, 7544 words. Hurrah! Better than zero. If I end up with 15k -20k I'll be happy. Even reaching 25K will be enough. Though this novella might turn into something longer. Who knows. It just feels good to be writing something fresh. It's been a weird year.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #90 on: November 13, 2018, 07:05:28 AM »

I'm going the opposite way. I've always rushed through the first draft, not worrying about quality. But I've found that I have a tendency not to change my writing much, so this time I'm going to make the first draft a little better.

I'm going to have to rewrite my favorite scene because I discovered that the wife of the MC would have been only nine years old when they wed. Thank heavens for Aeon Timeline.

elleoco

« Reply #91 on: November 14, 2018, 10:18:58 AM »
Yesterday by my calculations I was 3,000 words in the red, which is a lot for me. I'm not a fast writer and there's a limit to how long I can spend writing each day without crippling myself. So it was discouraging, but I'm determined to give it at least a dedicated effort.

Today my deficit is down to 2,500 words, and I'm feeling encouraged, but catching up or not may depend on whether I hit another sticky spot in my story or have any more grand ideas that require some modification of previously written scenes before I can go on.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #92 on: November 15, 2018, 12:47:00 PM »
Things are starting to click, now. 3K words today.

Keith Ward

« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2018, 12:00:31 PM »
I'm at 34,000 words with seven days to go. It's not looking good, but I'm not giving up yet. I fell way behind, but I'm writing like the wind now. I wrote 8,200 words Wednesday, a new best for me. Is anyone over 50,00 yet?

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2018, 06:30:25 PM »
I'm at 53K words right now, but I'm shooting for my goal of 70K. The novel is in the home stretch and the main character is about to get a good beat down. I hope she makes it out the other side okay.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2018, 06:37:08 PM »
I'm at 53K words right now

Congratulations, man.   :cheers

The novel is in the home stretch and the main character is about to get a good beat down. I hope she makes it out the other side okay.

I see I'm not the only one who doesn't coddle his heroes.   :icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

cecilia_writer

« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2018, 11:48:04 PM »
I've got to 43,000 words today. I think I can make it to 50,000 by the 30th.
I had to kill someone unexpectedly at about 30,000 as I felt the plot was faltering a bit.

Rick Partlow

« Reply #97 on: November 25, 2018, 01:56:52 PM »
I passed 50,000 words a couple days ago.  Unfortunately, I think my book is only about half done...

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #98 on: November 25, 2018, 02:08:18 PM »
I passed 50,000 words a couple days ago.  Unfortunately, I think my book is only about half done...

Congratulations, Rick.   :cheers

Sounds like our works in progress are about the same length.  I'm line-editing mine, and it's currently at around 120k.  I write/edit a lot slower than you do, though, so you'll probably publish yours before I publish mine.   :icon_redface:

I've got to 43,000 words today. I think I can make it to 50,000 by the 30th.
I had to kill someone unexpectedly at about 30,000 as I felt the plot was faltering a bit.

"When in doubt, kill."

- Colonel Troutman

:ices_angel_g:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2018, 10:00:16 AM »

I know how you feel. I'm at 52K, with 13 scenes yet to write. I average around 1,200 words per scene.

I tell people, "It's NaNoWriMo" not "Na50KWordsWriMo," but I'm giving myself a few extra days.

Yellow on the side means "First Draft Completed." Green chips on the right mean "Victory," black chips mean "Setback." I love Scrivener.