Author Topic: Problem word in title  (Read 2625 times)

A. N. Onymous

Problem word in title
« on: October 24, 2018, 10:56:35 AM »
Is the word 'Nipple' in the title of a book, in no way connected with erotica, going to be a problem with Amazon? The title will be 'Lipple's Nipple' which refers to a name given to a mound of dirt in the middle of a lake. It will be the second book in my Mt Moulamein sci-fi series. The cover will clearly illustrate a sci-fi/space opera genre. I have not yet written it so the name is not set in concrete if it is going to prove to be overly problematic. I am only looking for opinions on the problematic possibilities. I know how unorthodox the title is for a sci-fi and need no opinions in that vein. It really cannot be any more unorthodox than Mt Moulamein, the first book title as seen in my profile.

Robin

Re: Problem word in title
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2018, 06:56:16 PM »
I think it will be okay if the cover is unerotic. If you type in nipple on amazon you get a variety of book genres, not just erotica.

The following users thanked this post: A. N. Onymous

guest819

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2018, 07:03:18 PM »
I'm not a fan of the word 'Nipple' in a title. Especially SF. It hints at an attempt to garner attention for the wrong reasons. I'd probably sigh and drive on by and I'm an 'SF hack'.

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2018, 08:28:12 PM »
I think it will be okay if the cover is unerotic. If you type in nipple on amazon you get a variety of book genres, not just erotica.
Thank you Robin, I appreciate you taking the time to answer. The cover will definitely have nothing of an erotic flavour.

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2018, 08:42:14 PM »
I'm not a fan of the word 'Nipple' in a title. Especially SF. It hints at an attempt to garner attention for the wrong reasons. I'd probably sigh and drive on by and I'm an 'SF hack'.

Without wishing to appear smug or unappreciative, I really wasn't asking for opinions on the title, just whether anyone thought that the word in the title would raise red flags for Amazon.

Lex

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2018, 05:38:14 AM »
There are apparently some "forbidden" words for titles and subtitles when it comes to AMS ads. I've recently seen reports that the words "alpha" and "harem" will get rejected by AMS. (Apparently even having "harem" in the blurb gets a rejection.)

I don't know of a place that has a full list of forbidden AMS words (I suspect it's an evolving list), but it wouldn't surprise me if body parts and curse words are (or will be) included.

The following users thanked this post: A. N. Onymous

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2018, 06:06:20 AM »
There are apparently some "forbidden" words for titles and subtitles when it comes to AMS ads. I've recently seen reports that the words "alpha" and "harem" will get rejected by AMS. (Apparently even having "harem" in the blurb gets a rejection.)

I don't know of a place that has a full list of forbidden AMS words (I suspect it's an evolving list), but it wouldn't surprise me if body parts and curse words are (or will be) included.
Thank you. That is something I hadn't considered. Although I do not advertise at present, I assume I will at some point in the future. That alone will probably dissuade me from using it.

Al Macy (aka TromboneAl)

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2018, 12:43:30 AM »
This thread resulted in a much better title for a book I'll be releasing. I read the thread, and I was going to suggest that you brainstorm more title ideas. I realized that I hadn't brainstormed a title for my WIP. I liked the title Yesterday's Thief Technical Notes, but I figured "practice what you preach." I started a thread about the title and Jeff Tanyard suggested a much-improved title, Yesterday's Thief, Tomorrow's Science: A Look at the Real-life Technology Behind Eric Beckman's World.

So, consider doing some brainstorming. Lipple's Island seems like a good title to me.

Al Macy | Web Site | Facebook | Twitter

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2018, 05:16:13 AM »
This thread resulted in a much better title for a book I'll be releasing. I read the thread, and I was going to suggest that you brainstorm more title ideas. I realized that I hadn't brainstormed a title for my WIP. I liked the title Yesterday's Thief Technical Notes, but I figured "practice what you preach." I started a thread about the title and Jeff Tanyard suggested a much-improved title, Yesterday's Thief, Tomorrow's Science: A Look at the Real-life Technology Behind Eric Beckman's World.

So, consider doing some brainstorming. Lipple's Island seems like a good title to me.
Thanks Al. If the name of the island were totally fictitious, I might consider doing that if I was stuck. Since the original construction crew, the Lipples, named it Lipple's Nipple, I don't think it would go over well locally were I to change it. I think I have been convinced not to go with it in the title. BTW, I agree that Jeff's suggestion for your book was a beaut.