Author Topic: Can you spin off a Vella into another Vella story?  (Read 824 times)

seppy123

Can you spin off a Vella into another Vella story?
« on: October 25, 2022, 02:06:41 AM »
I was just curious. I started a Vella just because I was having trouble getting motivated to write a series I'd been developing. I intend to covert it into novel form eventually, but I figured why not get it up there and earn a small little bonus or two while I write it. Then I realized I wanted to spin off some of the characters into a series of their own. Can you have two different Vella's with some of the same characters as long as the story is original?

She-la-te-da

Re: Can you spin off a Vella into another Vella story?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2022, 09:14:00 AM »
As far as I know, yes. There's no problem with this. Different stories, different serials. You could verify by asking KDP about it, or on the KDP forum for Vella, the mods there seem to be active enough to respond.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

seppy123

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 12:50:27 AM »
Thanks. I see where other writers have done it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's okay. You're probably right, though. It's still all going to be original content. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

She-la-te-da

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2022, 01:27:24 AM »
No problem. Most people I'm seeing on Vella are doing it wrong so I like to put in the best knowledge I can. And by wrong, I mean random short stories, broken up novels, and some nonfiction. I can't see how nonfiction would even work, but there you go.

I've got some episodes to upload today myself. Had to fix my computer first. :)
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

seppy123

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2022, 09:35:59 AM »
No problem. Most people I'm seeing on Vella are doing it wrong so I like to put in the best knowledge I can. And by wrong, I mean random short stories, broken up novels, and some nonfiction. I can't see how nonfiction would even work, but there you go.

I've got some episodes to upload today myself. Had to fix my computer first. :)
I really think serials are next of kin to flash fiction and they are lost art forms. Most people have never read them, but I think there are lots of readers who don't know the difference, as well, so they don't care.