Author Topic: What movie did you recently watch?  (Read 109553 times)

Jeff Tanyard

Re: What movie did you recently watch?
« Reply #400 on: December 06, 2019, 07:25:46 AM »
At lunch time today, I watched the 1956 sci-fi Forbidden Planet. It stars Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, and Leslie Nielsen and although corny in places, it was ground-breaking at the time. Plus, that classic robot that appears in so many movies and some episodes of Lost in Space (as an evil robot, I think) features in the movie.

Yeah, that movie still holds up pretty well, I think.  The Tempest in space!   :icon_mrgreen:

And Robby the Robot was definitely a nice achievement.  He wasn't just a machine.  He was a character with personality.

We were so optimistic about AI back then.  That lasted until HAL 9000 came along.  Then we got Ash from Alien, and Maximilian in The Black Hole, and The Terminator, and The Matrix, and so on.  We've basically convinced ourselves that AI will destroy us.  We're probably right.

Last month I watched movies that friends had a hand in. About 15 years ago, one of my students told me he wanted to work in movies, and I told him to dream big, work hard, and one day he'll send me a photo of himself with an Oscar. A few years ago he sent me a photo of him holding two Oscars for Hacksaw Ridge - he was on the small sound editing and editing team that won the Oscars. His team also worked on The Dressmaker and The Railwayman, so I watched them, too.  Other friends worked on or in Red Dog, Australia, Racing Stripes, War Horse, Charlotte's Web, Storm Boy, Tomorrow When the War Began, The Great Gatsby (not the Robert Redford one), and some others, so, even though I'd seen them all before, I had an enjoyable time watching movies that somehow involve friends. It seemed as good a theme as any.

That's pretty neat.   :cheers

Happens. Even with classics. I have a feeling I'd love The Wild Bunch to this day if I'd first watched it in the eighties the way I still love Pale Rider or True Grit (original) but I didn't get to it until a couple years ago and I was too late to the party. And others will surprise you like The Apartment or African Queen. Never know.

There's nothing like a nice piece of hickory.   :cool:

I'll try to remember to catch The African Queen one of these days.  It's one of those things I keep meaning to get around to watching but keep putting off.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

lea_owens

« Reply #401 on: December 06, 2019, 07:54:09 AM »

We were so optimistic about AI back then.  That lasted until HAL 9000 came along.  Then we got Ash from Alien, and Maximilian in The Black Hole, and The Terminator, and The Matrix, and so on.  We've basically convinced ourselves that AI will destroy us.  We're probably right.

HAL still creeps the heck out of me, after all these years. I read the book before I saw the movie and they both terrified me in regards to decisions made by AI when they were initially programmed by humans who, by our very finiteness, are flawed as we can't consider all possibilities, factors, and consequences. I find movies about AI a mixed bag of terrifying and heartbreaking... Spielberg's A.I. was one of the most tragic movies I've ever seen. Bicentennial Man had some interesting points to make, and was also ridiculously sad. I'm glad that, once more, Star Trek were ahead of their time and granted Data the status of a life-form.

I'm off to see 'Knives Out' this weekend - what a cast.

j tanner

« Reply #402 on: December 06, 2019, 11:39:44 AM »
I'm glad that, once more, Star Trek were ahead of their time and granted Data the status of a life-form.

Still had their AI out to destroy us though. Borg! :nerd:

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #403 on: December 07, 2019, 10:29:58 AM »
Pizza, Pepsi and Paul. Almost ten years old and it's still a good movie.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #404 on: December 07, 2019, 10:45:47 AM »
Christmas Angel and am in the middle of watching Eve's Christmas.

Laughing Elephant

« Reply #405 on: December 08, 2019, 02:21:42 PM »
Jesus Christ Superstar (1973 film) - Rock Opera.

Gets the vocal cords flexing. 

:band: :band: :band:

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #406 on: December 15, 2019, 06:20:38 AM »
The Phantom Menace.  Since we got Disney+, I had an urge to watch it again.  I totally forgot just how bad the movie was.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #407 on: December 15, 2019, 07:31:29 AM »
Mostly I'm watching movies with Christmas in the title but I took a break and watched Life With Father. One of my old favorites.

Betty Blast

« Reply #408 on: December 16, 2019, 02:40:23 AM »
I'm watching Christmas movies too! I took a break from holiday cheer and rewatched The Bourne Identity. It was better than I remembered.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #409 on: December 16, 2019, 05:13:51 AM »
Went in for a good scare last night.

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Ace Fletcher

• Fig Leaf in place
  • Flash Fiction unlocked
  • I'm unique. Just like everyone else.
« Reply #410 on: December 16, 2019, 03:25:57 PM »
6 Underground on Netflix.

Action movie about a billionaire who faked his death and assembled an elite team to take out the evil dictators of the world.

Fantastic stunts, typical of Michael Bay films, but be prepared to suspend belief.

The opening scene car chase through Florence, Italy was outstanding.

A little gory in parts, but overall a fun movie.
I changed my password to 'incorrect'. That way when I forget, it always reminds me, "your password is incorrect".

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #411 on: December 17, 2019, 04:59:46 AM »
6 Underground on Netflix.

I'll see this movie if it ever comes out on DVD. It's a shame the movies that look the most fun are on exclusive platforms. This movie, The Mandalorian and a few others. Because I'm sure as hell not going to subscribe to every single platform out there to watch one or two movie a year.

APP

« Reply #412 on: December 17, 2019, 08:40:11 AM »
Personally, I couldn't finish this movie (6 Underground on Netflix). I got about three quarters of the way through it before giving up. I found it too ridiculous--at least for my taste. And IMO, there was absolutely no character development. But we're all different in what we prefer. The old adage applies: To each their own.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2019, 08:42:23 AM by APP »

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #413 on: December 17, 2019, 11:53:45 AM »
Yellowbeard. My husband loves this movie. I love Madeline Kahn.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #414 on: December 17, 2019, 12:06:53 PM »
Unlikely Angel with Dolly Parton. That was an oldie.

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
« Reply #415 on: December 22, 2019, 02:23:08 AM »
Movies I enjoyed the most this year:

Bumblebee, Baby Driver, Skyscraper, The Magnificent Seven (2016), Aliens in the Attic, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Into the Storm (2014), Death Wish (2018), Six Days Seven Nights.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #416 on: December 22, 2019, 09:56:04 AM »
The Christmas Chronicles with Kurt Russell and Klaus an animated Christmas feature. Both were on Netflix. Both very enjoyable. If you haven't seen Kurt Russell as Santa singing Elvis' It's Christmas Time Pretty Baby, you've missed something.

Then a whole slew of other Christmas movies.

Vijaya

« Reply #417 on: December 24, 2019, 06:36:31 AM »
Richard Jewell. Very well done. I like Clint Eastwood movies.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #418 on: December 24, 2019, 06:59:47 AM »
Joker.  It's a bleak, depressing movie, and that's not really my thing, so I didn't really "like" it per se.  Nevertheless, it's a well-made movie that hits the emotional beats, and Joaquin Phoenix did a terrific job.  I liked the fact that his ears rang after firing the gun on the subway platform.  That's a nice bit of verisimilitude you don't see much in movies.

I'm also watching the usual Christmas movie lineup.  Death Race and Trading Places are out of the way.  The only one remaining is Die Hard.  Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs...   :cool:

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #419 on: December 24, 2019, 07:49:07 AM »
The only one remaining is Die Hard.  Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs...   :cool:

"Nine million terrorists in the world and I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister."
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #420 on: December 24, 2019, 08:18:38 AM »
The only one remaining is Die Hard.  Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs...   :cool:

"Nine million terrorists in the world and I gotta kill one with smaller feet than my sister."

"Welcome to the party, pal!"   :icon_mrgreen:

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Maggie Ann

« Reply #421 on: December 24, 2019, 11:00:32 AM »
Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker

Sorry to be the one to bring it up. Don't want to start any controversy. Never could decide how I felt about TLJ, but this one I LOVED. Yes there were inconsistencies and JJ Abrams forced some things but it was very entertaining as Star Wars should be.

Tom Wood

« Reply #422 on: December 24, 2019, 11:14:26 AM »
Off topic - Many years ago, a friend and I were too late to the showing of the second Indiana Jones movie, so we had to sit in the front row in the theater with a +-ten-year-old boy who sat a few empty seats to our left. During the scene when the spikes are coming down from the ceiling and up from the floor in the cave, I looked over at our ten-year-old companion. His heels were on the floor, and the back of his head was on the headrest while the rest of his body twisted and arched to avoid the spikes in the movie. Heels and head, no other part of his body touched anything.

I want to watch a movie that will do THAT to me!

notthatamanda

« Reply #423 on: December 24, 2019, 12:07:12 PM »
Hawaii. I just finished Julie Andrew's second autobiography, about the films she made. I'll be watching a lot of those in the coming months.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #424 on: December 24, 2019, 05:30:06 PM »
I'm also watching the usual Christmas movie lineup.  Death Race and Trading Places are out of the way.  The only one remaining is Die Hard.  Come out to the coast, we'll get together, have a few laughs...   :cool:

Don't forget Lethal Weapon. That's a Christmas movie, too.   grint

Vijaya

« Reply #425 on: December 25, 2019, 12:46:33 AM »

Yes!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #426 on: December 25, 2019, 02:01:18 AM »

Man, I haven't seen Lethal Weapon in decades.  I should definitely watch it again at some point.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #427 on: December 25, 2019, 02:15:40 AM »
Watched this last night. Seemed like a fitting end to the series.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #428 on: December 29, 2019, 09:22:40 PM »
My two sons, aware that I usually did my viewing on a tiny television in the corner of the room and that I'd got the idea everything was currently filmed in the dark, got together to give me a much bigger set for Christmas, so I've been enjoying some movies on the larger screen - I must admit it makes most things look better, except that one quiz show presenter now seems to have a chronic skin condition!
The best movie I've watched so far was definitely 'Bridge of Spies'. I love the Cold War detail - although I lived through the 60s I now realise that events such as the Gary Powers incident didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time. Although I remember we were all terrified at the time of the Cuban crisis.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

Maggie Ann

« Reply #429 on: December 30, 2019, 12:21:02 AM »
My two sons, aware that I usually did my viewing on a tiny television in the corner of the room and that I'd got the idea everything was currently filmed in the dark, got together to give me a much bigger set for Christmas, so I've been enjoying some movies on the larger screen - I must admit it makes most things look better, except that one quiz show presenter now seems to have a chronic skin condition!
The best movie I've watched so far was definitely 'Bridge of Spies'. I love the Cold War detail - although I lived through the 60s I now realise that events such as the Gary Powers incident didn't make a lot of sense to me at the time. Although I remember we were all terrified at the time of the Cuban crisis.

I had forgotten about Gary Powers. But the Cuban Missile Crisis was right in my back yard. I lived in Miami and we knew we'd be first on the list.

Watched Burlesque last night. Cher and Aquilera have amazing voices and some of my favorite dancers were in the movie, but Stanley Tucci was a lot of fun.

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #430 on: January 03, 2020, 07:13:45 AM »
Mission: Impossible--Fallout. I really enjoyed it, even though I figured out who the bad guy was from the beginning. Plus, the sad part got to me.

Empire Strikes Back. When I was 7 years old and had to wait another 3 years for the next movie, I hated the ending. Now, I think that it's the best Star Wars movie, even though it's not my favorite.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #431 on: January 03, 2020, 02:11:37 PM »
Now, I think that it's the best Star Wars movie, even though it's not my favorite.

Same here.  I'm not sure which one I like best, but if I had to pick one right now, I'd probably go with ROTJ.  But I think ESB is hands down the best-written and best-filmed episode.

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #432 on: January 03, 2020, 08:41:16 PM »
I enjoyed watching Red Eye (Korean with English subs) horror movie.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d8sCA97PhjU

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #433 on: January 04, 2020, 02:31:11 AM »
Jeff, Return of the Jedi is my favorite, too.  Because of the massive crowds, the only seats left were in the very front row.  One of the best experiences of my life, at least for a 3rd grader.  Plus, I got to stay up late!

Maggie Ann

« Reply #434 on: January 04, 2020, 02:43:04 AM »
Now, I think that it's the best Star Wars movie, even though it's not my favorite.

Same here.  I'm not sure which one I like best, but if I had to pick one right now, I'd probably go with ROTJ.  But I think ESB is hands down the best-written and best-filmed episode.

Empire has always been my favorite and I'd put Rogue One right up there, too.

PJ Post

« Reply #435 on: January 04, 2020, 03:11:20 AM »
I think movies fall into a couple of different categories. There's the amazing, Oscar-worthy films...and then there's the ones we really like to watch because they're full up with fun or feelz or whatever. I think Star Wars falls squarely into that latter category.

I love the Prequels, but they're not *clears throat* Cinema. And, to me, Empire is the best because, one: it stays in its lane the most, it's a dark space adventure, and two: because there's no cute crap thrown in just to sell toys. That's always been Star Wars' Achilles Heel.

But my favorite scene is between Anakin and Palpatine in Revenge, when he tells him the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise. I really thought that Rian Johnson and Disney screwed up with this and missed an epic storytelling opportunity. Jedi have always been nobodies from nowhere, but Rian was so desperate to be clever and subversive that he completely failed to understand the source material. Lots of regular people can do stuff, but we write stories about the great ones. Rey should have been related to Darth Plagueis. He was the Emperor's Master, it would have pulled the whole franchise together, bookending it.

spin52

« Reply #436 on: January 05, 2020, 01:38:07 AM »

I watched this last night. OMG. The Beatles were so young, and the film was gloriously politically incorrect. They looked like they were having such fun sending up their image, and the music took me right back to 1964. Brilliant.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #437 on: January 05, 2020, 02:05:53 AM »

I watched this last night. OMG. The Beatles were so young, and the film was gloriously politically incorrect. They looked like they were having such fun sending up their image, and the music took me right back to 1964. Brilliant.

I was torn between this and a documentary about the building of the Forth Bridge (my great-grandfather worked on the construction) so I've recorded the Beatles film and will probably watch tonight. I was a huge Beatles fan at the time when it first came out so naturally I saw it in the cinema a few times.
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
« Reply #438 on: January 07, 2020, 01:45:08 AM »
Movies I enjoyed the most this year:

Bumblebee, Baby Driver, Skyscraper, The Magnificent Seven (2016), Aliens in the Attic, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Into the Storm (2014), Death Wish (2018), Six Days Seven Nights.
Forgot to mention Saving Private Ryan and The Terminal.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #439 on: January 07, 2020, 11:31:23 AM »
My new favorite movie- Hidden Figures!
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

Vijaya

« Reply #440 on: January 07, 2020, 01:47:51 PM »
I loved Hidden Figures, Marti.

Some good movies we watched recently: LA LA Land, Ladybird, Sherlock Holmes, Young Sherlock. And Hidden Life is on the menu this week.

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #441 on: January 20, 2020, 05:46:00 PM »
Richard Jewell.

:evil2: :evil2: :evil2:

:icon_cry: :icon_cry: :icon_cry:

R.I.P., Mr. Jewell.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #442 on: January 20, 2020, 11:57:07 PM »
Strictly Ballroom and Jersey Boys.

I've seen both before. I enjoyed the dancing in the former (some of it very tongue-in-cheek) and the music in the latter, not to mention I'm from NJ and know these types.

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #443 on: January 21, 2020, 07:20:48 AM »
DW and I watched the Green Book starring Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali. I can see why it won 3 Oscars.

Drew McGunn

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #444 on: January 21, 2020, 08:20:40 AM »
I watched Venom the other night.  It was okay.

My husband watched the first half of Aquaman before I woke up Saturday.  I watched the last half and enjoyed it very much.

Basic Instinct 2 on network TV.  I only got about a fourth of the way through.  It was just terrible.  I will never get that half hour back.

j tanner

« Reply #445 on: January 21, 2020, 07:07:42 PM »

Fairly harrowing, but astonishing filmmaking that's basically real-time with no cuts.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

Vijaya

« Reply #446 on: January 22, 2020, 01:19:36 AM »
Strictly Ballroom is so fun!

Saw the trailer for 1917 when we went to see Hidden Life. I daresay that Hidden Life is one of the best movies of the decade--beautifully shot, the natural lighting, the closeups of the faces, the emotions, the way the story unfolds at such a leisurely pace, yet feeling just right, giving me the space to process as the characters are processing their choices.

Anarchist

« Reply #447 on: January 23, 2020, 01:16:14 AM »

Fairly harrowing, but astonishing filmmaking that's basically real-time with no cuts.

I can't wait to see it. Mendes is a great storyteller.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

j tanner

« Reply #448 on: January 23, 2020, 09:57:25 AM »

SPECTRE is the exception that proves the rule.  :hehe

Hustlers

Scorsese-light. This isn't Constance Wu's best work and she's central which holds it back a little, but the supporting cast is great and the "Based on true events" story is engaging.

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: (rounding up from 3.5)

Anarchist

« Reply #449 on: January 23, 2020, 11:40:04 AM »

SPECTRE is the exception that proves the rule.  :hehe

I'm not gonna lie. I enjoyed Spectre. But I agree with you. It's not even close to a great film.

That said, I'll bet even Gordon Ramsey makes an uninspired risotto now and then. :)