Author Topic: How do you deal with migraines?  (Read 13714 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: How do you deal with migraines?
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2018, 01:57:20 AM »
I dont 'get' migraines. I have a permanent one. It cycles between 14 and 26 hours, averaging around 20 apart. No visual symptoms, since it never actually starts or stops. And most of the time, it cycles back through each day, so there is very little predictability from day to day. I might get 4 in a row at 20 hours, and then the next at 14 or 16.

I take Eletriptan daily, which changes the pain down to something I can function with. But I take 1 and sometimes 2 tablets a day, of a med designed for 1 or 2 a month. It has major fatique side effects, and how well it works depends on taking it at exactly the right time. So on days when I get it right, it takes an hour to bring down the pain, about 4 hours drowsy, and then I can function again. On a bad day, when I either take the tablet too early or too late, it takes 4 hours for the pain to lessen, then 4 to 8 hours of fatigue. And the fatigue is also influenced by taking anti-histamine. Some days I dont get started at all, but I can basically function, but do not make decisions of any kind, or do anything which requires thinking.

I learned the hard way the vomiting was something else. MSG is a trigger, as is everything coming from a grape, and anything vinegar, no matter what it was made from. Vinegar is lethal. Bacon only slightly less so.

To stop vomiting, so you can take a migraine med and keep it down, I use Ondansetron wafers, which is what ambulance crews use to stop people barfing on the way to hospital. Expensive, but 1 under the tongue stops you heaving. (But as someone pointed out, sometimes you need to get the poison out of your stomach first.)

The vomiting triggers also trigger migraine, but I get the migraine anyway without the vomiting. Before the Ondansetron, vomiting meant hospital.

Pain wise, I get a level where bashing your head against the wall actually makes you feel better. So does bashing your head with your fist. Fortunately, this level only comes with vomiting, and not every day.

Botox injections worked. I have a lovely smooth forehead!  grint Unfortunately, while they did remove pain where the injections were made, the pain just moved to where injections could not be made. No reduction in pain, but I have a wonderful smooth forehead again.

Having a hole in the heart repaired changed the cycle and intensity, but wasn't a cure like it is for some people.

I'm going into hospital next week for day surgery, having injections into the nerve clusters in my head. Paying for it myself. I just recently found out about the possibility of hyper-inflamed nerve clusters, and got the first surgery I could, and took a sooner cancellation when they told me it was available. While botox was uncomfortable, for these shots, they put you right out first.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Captain Cranky

Vijaya

« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2018, 03:24:52 AM »
Oh Tim, what a nightmare. I am so sorry. I used to be that sick...perhaps 3 out of 4 weeks. And efficacy of the meds go down very quickly after the second or third day. That's why I started taking the preventatives. They've helped tremendously. Even a 50% reduction is significant when you're in that much pain.

I've not heard about this new surgery but I pray it works for you. What will they actually do to reduce the inflammation? Would steroids help? I'd take them for 5 days straight when pain was out of control.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Lex

« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2018, 03:46:11 AM »
One new thing I've noticed lately is my nose feels a bit cold and it feels like I've snorted mints. Anyone else got a nose-related symptom or am I completely alone?

Now that you mention it, I often get congested (or a runny nose), and only on the side with the pain.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2018, 03:48:38 AM »
Goodness, Tim, that really sounds awful. Fingers crossed, candles lit, the surgery works.

Lex

« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2018, 03:55:28 AM »
Wow, Tim. I really hope you get results with the surgery.

Re: Gregorian chant and music... this is going to sound bizarre, but I've discovered that humming offers some relief.  :shrug It doesn't make the headache go away, but the pain is much less severe.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2018, 08:13:27 AM »
I dont 'get' migraines. I have a permanent one. It cycles between 14 and 26 hours, averaging around 20 apart. No visual symptoms, since it never actually starts or stops. And most of the time, it cycles back through each day, so there is very little predictability from day to day. I might get 4 in a row at 20 hours, and then the next at 14 or 16.

I take Eletriptan daily, which changes the pain down to something I can function with. But I take 1 and sometimes 2 tablets a day, of a med designed for 1 or 2 a month. It has major fatique side effects, and how well it works depends on taking it at exactly the right time. So on days when I get it right, it takes an hour to bring down the pain, about 4 hours drowsy, and then I can function again. On a bad day, when I either take the tablet too early or too late, it takes 4 hours for the pain to lessen, then 4 to 8 hours of fatigue. And the fatigue is also influenced by taking anti-histamine. Some days I dont get started at all, but I can basically function, but do not make decisions of any kind, or do anything which requires thinking.

I learned the hard way the vomiting was something else. MSG is a trigger, as is everything coming from a grape, and anything vinegar, no matter what it was made from. Vinegar is lethal. Bacon only slightly less so.

To stop vomiting, so you can take a migraine med and keep it down, I use Ondansetron wafers, which is what ambulance crews use to stop people barfing on the way to hospital. Expensive, but 1 under the tongue stops you heaving. (But as someone pointed out, sometimes you need to get the poison out of your stomach first.)

The vomiting triggers also trigger migraine, but I get the migraine anyway without the vomiting. Before the Ondansetron, vomiting meant hospital.

Pain wise, I get a level where bashing your head against the wall actually makes you feel better. So does bashing your head with your fist. Fortunately, this level only comes with vomiting, and not every day.

Botox injections worked. I have a lovely smooth forehead!  grint Unfortunately, while they did remove pain where the injections were made, the pain just moved to where injections could not be made. No reduction in pain, but I have a wonderful smooth forehead again.

Having a hole in the heart repaired changed the cycle and intensity, but wasn't a cure like it is for some people.

I'm going into hospital next week for day surgery, having injections into the nerve clusters in my head. Paying for it myself. I just recently found out about the possibility of hyper-inflamed nerve clusters, and got the first surgery I could, and took a sooner cancellation when they told me it was available. While botox was uncomfortable, for these shots, they put you right out first.

Ugh I'm sorry you have to deal with that, Timothy. I was wondering how you had been coping with all the extra work from the forum, I hope you're doing okay.

I use Ondansetron (zofran) for the vomiting too, and the generic version I just bought came as little pills instead of wafers. They dissolve on the tongue the same way. Not sure what dosage you are on, but I'm on 4mg, so I asked my doc for a script for 8mg, and I cut them in half. The pills cut cleanly and easily with a small knife, and I get eight doses instead of four. The doc and pharmacist didn't see an issue with it, so maybe you could try that? Saves running out and having to go back to the doctor yet again, the cost was the same regardless.

Stay well, and good luck with your surgery  grint

The feverfew has been mentioned a few times now, so I'm going to look into that. I can grow it, I wonder if a tea would be strong enough?
If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

YouMeWe

« Reply #56 on: November 02, 2018, 09:54:25 AM »
I've never suffered from migraines, but I have been following an ayurvedic neurological / gut program for most of 2018, and it makes me feel great. My mood is better, and I rarely get the dreaded mid-afternoon "brain fog."

http://drkulreetchaudhary.com/2015/12/a-smarter-gut-results-in-spontaneous-weight-loss/

It's called the Prime, by Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary. I'm sipping the Prime tea now as I post this. I add cinnamon sticks to mine.

ETA: She markets the book as a weight-loss program, but it was developed for neurological problems. Spontaneous weight loss is the side effect. I've only lost about 2 pounds this year, but I was at my goal weight to begin with.

I'm really sorry CC and everyone who suffers migraines. They sound terrible. *hugs*

Thanks, angelapepper, I'll take a look  Grin I was reading up awhile ago on the gut's connection to migraines, and the link between the two is definitely there, in my opinion. The nausea/throwing up associated with migraines is thought to stem from gut stasis, essentially it slows right down, which is why for *some* people taking painkillers too late is pretty much useless. It was one of the reasons why I started drinking and making my own kombucha  :icon_mrgreen:

There's definitely a gut connection to migraines.  I, personally, believe it is linked to serotonin.

As a baby, I suffered stomach migraines. As I got older, they progressed to my head. By the time puberty and 'girly stuff' arrived I was being home-schooled due to frequent hospitalizations.

I'll skip the bit in between because it consists of many drug trials and meds that brought 'short relief' but nothing of note.

By my thirties, a weird natural subsidence had seen attacks wain to about three majors a year. Joy! Seemed like I was growing out of them, or had them under control.

And then came the plank of wood to the head with forty. I literally turned forty and they returned with a vengeance, along with some more sinister 'girly stuff.'

I've never been able to tolerate hormones - because of migraines - so after surgeries, my Gyny prescribed Prozac. They have no idea why, but it helps with PMDD. After raising a brow, I gave it a shot.

Without being dramatic, I noticed BIG changes in days. Girly stuff - gone. No migraines, not even a headache. I felt great ... until I didn't. As it built up in my system, it became impossible to function. So I binned it.

Anyway, the point being: I've always had digestive problems, girly problems, and migraines. I can't ignore how for a very brief time in my life I had none of those problems.

Facts: My migraines started in my stomach before progressing to my head. 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut. Prozac increases serotonin in the brain.

Now I'm turning my eye to St.John's Wort, a herbal version that I may be able to control better. I shall continue my herbal preventative, Feverfew, and take SJW during my luteal phase.

:icon_redface: Sorry, I feel like I've said too much. I deleted it twice, but braved posting, just in case it helps.
Pleez scoose n e errers, eyes lerrnin diktashun.

MelanieMRodriguez

« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
. . . They used to be so bad I completely gave up on self publishing.

I stopped eating gluten. All of it. No one ever told me there was a possible connection so I will let you know. Look it up.

If I accidentally ingest it now I will have an intense one for three days. So if I get one, I trace it back to the culprit.

Unless I mess up. I get none anymore. It isn’t easy to eat out. It’s in everything. Also my health went all over at first. It can be tough. But I have no more pain and that is worth it all for me.i can live and I can write again.

Anyone who is reading this though, always consult a doctor first before trying. Your health can change, and some people are celiacs and do not know it.. You do not want to try without medical consultation.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2018, 10:34:04 AM »
you have been tested for Coeliac's right?

No, I haven't.  I don't display any of the symptoms, though, so I'm pretty sure I don't have it.  As best as I can recall, my first migraine happened around the age of 25 or so after eating a whole rack of ribs.  I simply overate, and my body punished me for it.   :shrug

Dang, man.  That's tough.  Best wishes.   :icon_sad:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Captain Cranky

« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2018, 10:37:58 AM »
I've never suffered from migraines, but I have been following an ayurvedic neurological / gut program for most of 2018, and it makes me feel great. My mood is better, and I rarely get the dreaded mid-afternoon "brain fog."

http://drkulreetchaudhary.com/2015/12/a-smarter-gut-results-in-spontaneous-weight-loss/

It's called the Prime, by Dr. Kulreet Chaudhary. I'm sipping the Prime tea now as I post this. I add cinnamon sticks to mine.

ETA: She markets the book as a weight-loss program, but it was developed for neurological problems. Spontaneous weight loss is the side effect. I've only lost about 2 pounds this year, but I was at my goal weight to begin with.

I'm really sorry CC and everyone who suffers migraines. They sound terrible. *hugs*

Thanks, angelapepper, I'll take a look  Grin I was reading up awhile ago on the gut's connection to migraines, and the link between the two is definitely there, in my opinion. The nausea/throwing up associated with migraines is thought to stem from gut stasis, essentially it slows right down, which is why for *some* people taking painkillers too late is pretty much useless. It was one of the reasons why I started drinking and making my own kombucha  :icon_mrgreen:

There's definitely a gut connection to migraines.  I, personally, believe it is linked to serotonin.

As a baby, I suffered stomach migraines. As I got older, they progressed to my head. By the time puberty and 'girly stuff' arrived I was being home-schooled due to frequent hospitalizations.

I'll skip the bit in between because it consists of many drug trials and meds that brought 'short relief' but nothing of note.

By my thirties, a weird natural subsidence had seen attacks wain to about three majors a year. Joy! Seemed like I was growing out of them, or had them under control.

And then came the plank of wood to the head with forty. I literally turned forty and they returned with a vengeance, along with some more sinister 'girly stuff.'

I've never been able to tolerate hormones - because of migraines - so after surgeries, my Gyny prescribed Prozac. They have no idea why, but it helps with PMDD. After raising a brow, I gave it a shot.

Without being dramatic, I noticed BIG changes in days. Girly stuff - gone. No migraines, not even a headache. I felt great ... until I didn't. As it built up in my system, it became impossible to function. So I binned it.

Anyway, the point being: I've always had digestive problems, girly problems, and migraines. I can't ignore how for a very brief time in my life I had none of those problems.

Facts: My migraines started in my stomach before progressing to my head. 90% of serotonin is produced in the gut. Prozac increases serotonin in the brain.

Now I'm turning my eye to St.John's Wort, a herbal version that I may be able to control better. I shall continue my herbal preventative, Feverfew, and take SJW during my luteal phase.

:icon_redface: Sorry, I feel like I've said too much. I deleted it twice, but braved posting, just in case it helps.

You haven't said too much, not as far as I'm concerned anyway, I appreciate it, and it definitely helps! 😁 I'm a private person, but I'm also honest, and the older I get the less shame I seem to have so I sometimes overshare lol.

I have 'girly issues' too that made coming off the pill quite a scary thought for me. My doctor started me on spironolactone to help, and I'm now taking a blend of herbs to assist my body in balancing itself. Some of the herbs work directly with the estrogen and progesterone, others work with the brain and other hormones which in turn support the proper functioning of the first two. So it makes complete sense that serotonin plays a part, and I have no doubt that stress and the gut can impact healthy functioning of serotonin levels. I'm still trying to sort through all this stuff, it's not straightforward. I was hoping simply coming of the pill would put an end to my migraines, but no cigar. It has helped my moods though, so it's making it easier to cope and bounce back. I did try St John's Wort years ago and noticed some benefit to my moods, but had to stop when I started the pill (it interferes). Good luck with finding something that helps, I'm always happy to chat about it if you want  Grin

Some people have mentioned bacon. I only eat it (and other cured meats) occassionally because of the preservatives. Sulfites, nitrites/nitrates can be quite toxic, and may trigger issues in some people. Sulfate can be found in vinegar, which Timothy mentioned. So that might be another thing for some to consider. I'm picky about what I feed my cats too for that reason.

If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

The following users thanked this post: YouMeWe

Captain Cranky

« Reply #60 on: November 02, 2018, 10:49:43 AM »
. . . They used to be so bad I completely gave up on self publishing.

I stopped eating gluten. All of it. No one ever told me there was a possible connection so I will let you know. Look it up.

If I accidentally ingest it now I will have an intense one for three days. So if I get one, I trace it back to the culprit.

Unless I mess up. I get none anymore. It isn’t easy to eat out. It’s in everything. Also my health went all over at first. It can be tough. But I have no more pain and that is worth it all for me.i can live and I can write again.

Anyone who is reading this though, always consult a doctor first before trying. Your health can change, and some people are celiacs and do not know it.. You do not want to try without medical consultation.

I went gluten free awhile back, just to see what would happen. (I was curious to see if it had an impact on allergies/asthma). And yes, gluten is in everything, it's incredible. I feel for people with Coeliac's, it's not always easy to maintain. I wound up giving it up, low carb suits me better. I had a friend who was gluten intolerant for years and didn't know it, man was she sick. She looked quite anorexic for some time as a result, had constant health issues. She's doing better now thankfully.

RCoots

« Reply #61 on: November 02, 2018, 09:40:03 PM »
I try to avoid caffeine in the mornings, drink lots and lots of water, pay attention to what my pillows (and dog and husband) are doing to my sleep patterns. I also do my best to slow down, avoid tensing up (half my headaches seem to come from neck tension) and yoga. Arm and shoulder focused yoga in particular, to stretch out muscles and relax them.

I also take verapamil to ward migraines off and sumatriptan (imatrex) when they bodyslam me (like yesterday). There's also a great app, Migraine Tracker, that I use to keep track of  when I get headaches. Great for having a record to take to a Doctor.

Vijaya

« Reply #62 on: November 02, 2018, 10:40:02 PM »
I'm so grateful for this thread because it gives me other things to try. I have an appt. today with the Dr. to go over my meds and pain management. But just yesterday I picked up a book from the library that might change my life. The writer is a spine surgeon but his point is that chronic pain not due to structural problems could be resolved by training the brain. I've only read two chapters so far and find myself nodding in agreement with a lot he's saying.

Please take a look here: https://www.amazon.com/Back-Control-Surgeons-Roadmap-Chronic/dp/0988272997/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541161100&sr=8-1&keywords=back+in+control+by+david+hanscom

VanessaC

« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2018, 12:02:32 AM »
Just wanted to add more big hugs and well wishes for everyone - I am amazed and humbled by how many people manage to keep going through nasty and debilitating health issues.  I managed to fall over on Wednesday evening and I'm still feeling sorry for myself nearly two days later ...  :icon_redface:

Sending you all good wishes for effective treatments and less pain.

:hug:  :grouphug:   :hug:

Genre: Fantasy

Captain Cranky

« Reply #64 on: November 03, 2018, 01:35:31 PM »
Interestingly, I'm having an Ocular migraine as we speak (those don't cause me pain, and they only last 30 mins), but I've realised there may be a pattern. The past few times I've had a painful migraine, three days later I've had an ocular migraine. I haven't been keeping tabs further back than that, and I'm not sure what it means, but just thought I'd put that out there.  :shrug

guest819

« Reply #65 on: November 03, 2018, 08:06:43 PM »
Interestingly, I'm having an Ocular migraine as we speak (those don't cause me pain, and they only last 30 mins), but I've realised there may be a pattern. The past few times I've had a painful migraine, three days later I've had an ocular migraine. I haven't been keeping tabs further back than that, and I'm not sure what it means, but just thought I'd put that out there.  :shrug

I've had that twice. Both times since I ceased to have normal migraines.

It's the weirdest thing EVER

I went to the optician in a panic, he sent me to the doctor. The doctor just laughed and said it was just an eye migraine and sent me home. That was the last time I ever bothered going to the doctor for anything.

antares

« Reply #66 on: November 03, 2018, 09:02:34 PM »
As a prophylactic, I take 500mg of taurine once a week. Once in a while I get an aura. When that happens, I take another dose of taurine.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 04:26:43 PM by TimothyEllis »

She-la-te-da

« Reply #67 on: November 03, 2018, 10:52:29 PM »
I took Feverfew for years for migraines. I also took St John's Wort for depression/down feelings, and Black Cohosh Root for menopause. All worked great for me (I got about twenty women interested in the BCR a few months ago when I mentioned how well it worked for me. :D )

My migraines used to have an aura, but over the years it would smell like something was burning, which caused huge anxiety and made me wander the house looking for a fire. Believe me, you do not want a fire in a mobile home. Ever.

Though I seldom have migraines any more, I found I can get small ones with flickering lights, or gifs or emoticons that move. I have a hard time with one web site because nearly everyone has something moving in their posts or their signatures, and I've yet to find a way to turn them all off.

I gave up caffeine years ago, and when I get my carbs down I feel so much better. Low carb heals the gut, which can be a major factor in one's health. Sugar feeds yeast, which can cause people all sorts of issues. Carbs basically turn into sugar, so it's an endless cycle.

Spicy foods have had good effects on things. Sadly, I can't eat stuff that's too spicy, so limited benefit for me. :(  I believe cayenne and turmeric have been studied a lot recently. I like using spices of all sorts, so I get something from them, I guess. Plus, cooking from scratch to avoid a lot of colorings and other additives (MSG) helps.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #68 on: November 04, 2018, 10:38:43 AM »
I took Feverfew for years for migraines. I also took St John's Wort for depression/down feelings, and Black Cohosh Root for menopause. All worked great for me (I got about twenty women interested in the BCR a few months ago when I mentioned how well it worked for me. :D )

My migraines used to have an aura, but over the years it would smell like something was burning, which caused huge anxiety and made me wander the house looking for a fire. Believe me, you do not want a fire in a mobile home. Ever.

Though I seldom have migraines any more, I found I can get small ones with flickering lights, or gifs or emoticons that move. I have a hard time with one web site because nearly everyone has something moving in their posts or their signatures, and I've yet to find a way to turn them all off.

I gave up caffeine years ago, and when I get my carbs down I feel so much better. Low carb heals the gut, which can be a major factor in one's health. Sugar feeds yeast, which can cause people all sorts of issues. Carbs basically turn into sugar, so it's an endless cycle.

Spicy foods have had good effects on things. Sadly, I can't eat stuff that's too spicy, so limited benefit for me. :(  I believe cayenne and turmeric have been studied a lot recently. I like using spices of all sorts, so I get something from them, I guess. Plus, cooking from scratch to avoid a lot of colorings and other additives (MSG) helps.

I eat low carb too, it definitely helps my gut, and I just feel less lethargic all the time. Plus, cream  Grin I'm not sure I could give up coffee, at least not yet!

I'm going to try the Feverfew, and the herbs I'm on for hormones contain Black Cohosh already. I've been meaning to supplement with tumeric for awhile now, I may as well add that to the mix. The burning smell you had would freak me out, I'd be panicking about having a brain tumour! Glad you've got it all under control now though, I'm determined to as well.

Vijaya

« Reply #69 on: November 08, 2018, 06:05:51 AM »
Tim, please let us know how you came through with surgery when you get a chance. I'm praying for you.

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #70 on: November 08, 2018, 09:30:59 AM »
I'm so grateful for this thread because it gives me other things to try. I have an appt. today with the Dr. to go over my meds and pain management. But just yesterday I picked up a book from the library that might change my life. The writer is a spine surgeon but his point is that chronic pain not due to structural problems could be resolved by training the brain. I've only read two chapters so far and find myself nodding in agreement with a lot he's saying.

Please take a look here: https://www.amazon.com/Back-Control-Surgeons-Roadmap-Chronic/dp/0988272997/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1541161100&sr=8-1&keywords=back+in+control+by+david+hanscom

Vijaya, I hope you can find a way out of the pain. It was from the other writers' forum that I found out about Dr. Sarno, thanks to the post of another author. Wow! It changed my life almost instantly. I still have some issues, but reading the book freed me from the major trouble spot in my upper back. I'm a believe in the mind/body connection, absolutely.

Vijaya

« Reply #71 on: November 08, 2018, 09:48:08 AM »
Angela, I've been doing the exercises religiously and seeing a huge improvement. Still taking aspirin, but of all the meds, it's the least egregious and it helps the pain in my knee too :)  I'll check out Sarno's work too. And yes, I believe and see the mind-body-spirit connection too!

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #72 on: November 08, 2018, 12:04:31 PM »
Tim, please let us know how you came through with surgery when you get a chance. I'm praying for you.

No problems yesterday at all. Weirdest feeling though. Like the dentist feeling, only elsewhere in the head.

They injected a mixture of an anesthetic and a steroid into the major nerve clusters of the head. So it felt weird sleeping last night, as parts of my head felt like metal (very Data). Very disjointed sleep too, with no rem.

Did need to take a migraine tab last night, but not as effective as usual, and I tried ibuprofen a couple of hours ago, and it has worked. So residual pain from the injections still, but its conventional pain. They do say the steroid can take 2-3 days to kick in.

Now to see if it worked at all.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #73 on: November 08, 2018, 02:10:37 PM »
Glad it went well, Timothy. I'll be interested to know how you get on with it  Grin

Vijaya

« Reply #74 on: November 08, 2018, 02:16:54 PM »
So glad to hear that you made it through. Were you awake during surgery? I can imagine that the injection site and nerves are sore (even with the anesthetic) but I pray your brain will be calmer and let you get good sleep and not fire those pain signals for no good reason.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #75 on: November 08, 2018, 02:23:40 PM »
So glad to hear that you made it through. Were you awake during surgery? I can imagine that the injection site and nerves are sore (even with the anesthetic) but I pray your brain will be calmer and let you get good sleep and not fire those pain signals for no good reason.

Definitely not awake! Fully out the whole time. Didn't even know the time had passed.  :angel:

Low level headache going at the moment, and very aware of my temple areas. But later on when I expect the migraine to return, I'll be trying the usual headache stuff first, and hoping they work, where they never have before. At the point where they do, or the headache ends completely, it will be out with the celebratory water.

Vijaya

« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2018, 02:40:51 PM »
Fully out sounds good! I remember having hand surgery for the second time to remove screws with just a regional anesthetic and I swear I could feel my arm. They had a good laugh when I couldn't move it. It was in my head. Still, it was neat to be able to watch some of the surgery.

And no expected migraines... I hope you can alleviate the low grade pain with an ice pack and we can celebrate very, very soon!

oganalp

« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2018, 08:17:07 AM »
Good luck with the recovery, Tim. Migraine headaches are the worst. They are not headaches, they are something else.

About the sound and humming, I had this 50hz something therapy that I tried a while back for an unbearable toothache. It somewhat worked, listening to a low volume bass sound. Sound is a powerful thing, and it may help with pain (or make it worse).

A. N. Onymous

« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2018, 09:19:35 AM »
I am fifty-seven years-old, and have suffered from debilitating migraines for fifty-four of those years. I used to have to go to hospital for pethidine or morphine injections at least once a month. At one stage when I was a teenager, I was on about fifteen different pills per day!
I think, because I began at such a young age, no one ever bothered to tell me that migraines were not going to kill me. I remember the cycle of getting the first signs of pain, which began my first round of fear/worry about brain explosions, tumors or whatever else a young person fears. That made the pain worse. The worse the pain, the worse the fear and so on.
I finally made a break-through when I was around thirty. Firstly; by understanding that I was not in peril no matter how bad the pain. Secondly; finding that a heat pack applied to my head eased the pain enough to allow me to relax. That in turn allowed whatever mild medication I took to effectively treat the remaining pain.
I now use a combination of relaxation techniques, heat pack(microwaveable), and darkness for the worst ones. I use nothing stronger than aspirin these days, which works.
One other important discovery I made. When I become too nauseous to keep down pills, I used a painkilling suppository. Don't laugh or grimace! It worked when nothing remained down. I no longer require them as my migraines are far less excruciating than they were, when the vomiting prohibited medication by mouth.
I wish you the best fellow sufferers.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2018, 11:04:31 AM »
Now that Tim's brain is literally on steroids, I expect him to publish a new book at least once a week.   :icon_mrgreen:

Seriously, though, I hope the treatment works out for you, man.   :Healing:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Vijaya

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2018, 11:07:08 AM »
Now that Tim's brain is literally on steroids, I expect him to publish a new book at least once a week.   :icon_mrgreen:

Seriously, though, I hope the treatment works out for you, man.   :Healing:

:icon_rofl:

Vijaya

« Reply #81 on: November 29, 2018, 02:33:55 AM »
Tim, been thinking about you. How are you doing now?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #82 on: November 29, 2018, 02:52:00 AM »
Tim, been thinking about you. How are you doing now?

Sorry, forgot all about checking in.

What they did was inject a mix of anesthetic and steroid into each of the nerve clusters in the head. And given I have actual hole scars, they must have been big needles.

Result is no change in my cycle, although its been out to 32 hours, and down to 13, now stabilizing around 20-22 hours apart.

But the migraines are less intense, and I'm now taking a quarter of the med dose. I am getting more time with a headache level ache, but overall, this is a huge improvement.

Going to wait a month and see what happens. And maybe get it done again. There is also a second treatment available, but its twice the cost, and the recommendation is get another first treatment done before it wears off, in the hope this solves the problem completely.

My gut tells me we missed a pain source though, which is why only 1/4 of the meds is needed. Its only dealing with one major source now. But if this is true, its not in my head, but elsewhere.

Anyway, while my day is not much different, my GP is a happy doc again with the drop in med taking, and my productivity is a lot better. Not getting much more actual writing time done, but when I sit down to write, things are flowing a great deal better now.

Next book could now be only a couple of weeks away. Instead of me thinking it would be next year.

So a good step forward, but not a cure.

Some odd side effects too. First weekend, I spent about 6 hours walking around in Darth Vader mode. Simply couldn't get my ears unblocked. Happened again the other day, but for a shorter period. Which makes me think things are still changing inside my head.

Vijaya

« Reply #83 on: November 29, 2018, 04:12:52 AM »
Tim, thanks for the update, and it's huge progress!!! I pray your head continues to heal and the pain banished forever. And hooray for the next book!!!

solo

• Short Story unlocked
  • "By the hoary balls of Nergal!"
« Reply #84 on: December 01, 2018, 01:09:56 PM »
Hi, Tim. Good to hear you're recovering. There are migraines which are just that - migraines. Triggered by external stimuli. But then again, there are migraines which are indications of a bigger problem. My wife (a neurologist and a neuro-oncologist) usually prescribe a complete "work-up" (guess that's what they call it) to eliminate the possibility of serious issues with the patient. And that usually means the works (MRI, MRA, etc).

But if it's a migraine with no other complications, then it requires, as others mentioned, pain management. Our thoughts and prayers with you, Tim.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2018, 03:16:11 AM »
For me, potassium is the trigger. Of course, potassium happens to be in most of the food we like - bananas, juices, potatoes, peas, and chocolate, etc. I can eat it in moderation, but if I have a banana for breakfast, fries at lunch and chocolate cake at dinner, I'm just asking for it. I often get the gagged lights without the actual headache, but I take Excedrin migraine which works for me. If the headache comes, I take two ibuprofen also. Thankfully, mine are not debilitating.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

solo

• Short Story unlocked
  • "By the hoary balls of Nergal!"
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2018, 02:53:22 PM »
For me, potassium is the trigger. Of course, potassium happens to be in most of the food we like - bananas, juices, potatoes, peas, and chocolate, etc. I can eat it in moderation, but if I have a banana for breakfast, fries at lunch and chocolate cake at dinner, I'm just asking for it. I often get the gagged lights without the actual headache, but I take Excedrin migraine which works for me. If the headache comes, I take two ibuprofen also. Thankfully, mine are not debilitating.

For me, it's the other way around - sometimes, I suffer from potassium deficiency. Man, before it was diagnosed, talk about lying on the bed almost unable to move, feeling your heart slow down. I really thought I was a goner. Now, I either grab a banana or a drink with potassium in it. But it still tires me out.