Author Topic: What movie did you recently watch?  (Read 109632 times)

guest642

Re: What movie did you recently watch?
« Reply #50 on: October 07, 2018, 01:35:11 PM »
Just saw MISSION IMPOSSIBLE: FALLOUT.

Good entry into the series. Nothing original or creative, but ticks all the right boxes for fans of the genre and series. It's like a good book series -- gives the reader everything they want, but doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. Everyone put in a good day's work, but that's about it.

I think the bathroom scene is the best thing about that movie.

Probably because it's the most "realistic" sequence in the whole movie. Everything is was over-the-top and silly. That sequence belonged more in an indie action flick.

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #51 on: October 07, 2018, 02:56:15 PM »

Haven't see it yet, but I will. Most likely when it hits Redbox.

Bathroom scene? Anything like the one in True Lies?   Grin
I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #52 on: October 07, 2018, 03:09:28 PM »
On the subject of bathroom scenes, my favorite is the one from The Best of Times.  Always gets me in the feels, man, when Elly says, "I want you... to kill Bakersfield."

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

PJ Post

« Reply #53 on: October 07, 2018, 04:29:36 PM »
+1 on Train to Busan
+1 on Jumanji. A lot of fun.
+1 on Black Panther, Infinity War and Ragnarok. 10/10 on the superhero movie scale.

Others...

But it's no Big Hero 6.

A quality "zombie" outing, but not as epic as The Crazies.

Not as good the first one, but meta enough.

Evenly paced video-game excitement, but a bit jumpy.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 05:43:20 PM »
Rampage, which was really silly but not terrible.

Ready Player One which I found disappointing. Unlike a lot of very vocal people, I enjoyed the book, and probably made a mistake watching the movie after reading the book, so I kept going "But why did they...ah, never mind."

guest14

« Reply #55 on: October 07, 2018, 09:25:17 PM »
My list of forthcoming Netflix downloads for the next 30 days.

Circle
Hold The Dark
MARS
Stratton
The Beyond
The Angel
Marco Polo
Operation Finale

Anarchist

« Reply #56 on: October 07, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »
Watched this one last night...

Rating: 3/10

Terrible directing. Terrible writing. Terrible acting.

Consider this a PSA.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

guest120

« Reply #57 on: October 08, 2018, 04:39:20 AM »
Yeah, agreed on 'The Commuter'...it was terrible.

Same can be said for 'Hold the Dark'...awful.

Becca Mills

« Reply #58 on: October 08, 2018, 05:20:31 AM »

Good entry into the series. Nothing original or creative, but ticks all the right boxes for fans of the genre and series. It's like a good book series -- gives the reader everything they want, but doesn't try to reinvent the wheel. Everyone put in a good day's work, but that's about it.

Probably because it's the most "realistic" sequence in the whole movie. Everything is was over-the-top and silly. That sequence belonged more in an indie action flick.

It's a measure of just how over-the-top these flicks are that it seems even scare-quote "realistic" for people to get thrown into walls hard enough to rain down plaster and broken tiles and still be perfectly functional.

Totally enjoyed it. 8/10.  Grin
Recently Read ...

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #59 on: October 08, 2018, 07:24:26 AM »
Watched this one last night...

I don't have a problem with Neeson as an actor, but he seems to have a way of gravitating towards mediocre or bad movies.  If a movie stars him, then that's a pretty safe bet the movie should be avoided, even if Neeson puts in a great performance.

Tom Wood

« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2018, 07:46:22 AM »
... Ready Player One which I found disappointing. Unlike a lot of very vocal people, I enjoyed the book, and probably made a mistake watching the movie after reading the book, so I kept going "But why did they...ah, never mind."

I was ready for a big change in the story, so the movie worked for me just as well as the book. I like both.

Spoiler: ShowHide
In the movie, they fixed the one thing I didn't like about the ending in the book. Wade absolutely had to be in double-jeopardy during the final battle - in VR and IRL. Ever since they did that at the end of the original Matrix, it seems to me to be a required setup for stories that have two worlds.

guest642

« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2018, 07:55:20 AM »

It's a measure of just how over-the-top these flicks are that it seems even scare-quote "realistic" for people to get thrown into walls hard enough to rain down plaster and broken tiles and still be perfectly functional.

Haha, for sure. The final 10 minutes or so, with the helicopters... God. I had to pick my eyeballs up from the floor after they fell out of their sockets from rolling around so much.

PJ Post

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2018, 07:57:58 AM »
I don't have a problem with Neeson as an actor, but he seems to have a way of gravitating towards mediocre or bad movies.  If a movie stars him, then that's a pretty safe bet the movie should be avoided, even if Neeson puts in a great performance.

He is an actor with a very particular set of skills, skills he's acquired over a very long career...including Jesus metaphors, a Jedi and the world's worst parent - three times! :tup3b

Yeah, agreed on 'The Commuter'...it was terrible.

I assumed Commuter was going to be bad enough to avoid, thanks for the confirmation. On the other hand, I started watching Hold the Dark...and then remembered I could stop. So I did.

Hollywood and television have become a wasteland again. The bigger stuff is all reboots and sequels and spin-offs and remakes of crap we never asked for. Disney's Star Wars (the poster child for this sh*t) just sucks. Nearly 10 hours of new movies and not an original idea in sight, but we totally know how Han got his name. WTF? I heard someone call Solo a live action version of his Wiki page. I can't believe Amazon hasn't put it in the dungeon, you know, with the whole...um...sex toy, sentient, mechanical blow-up doll thing? Can you imagine having sex with Marvin...

Marvin, can you fondle Lando? Can I fondle Lando? Here I am, brain the size of a planet and they ask me to give Lando a chubby. Call that job satisfaction? Because, I don't.

:HB

Anarchist

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2018, 08:11:07 AM »

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely avoid it. :)

I get nostalgic whenever I see Neeson's name. For example, I watched The Commuter with the memory of Rob Roy, Michael Collins, and Schindler's List.

Man, talk about setting myself up for disappointment.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Becca Mills

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2018, 09:52:00 AM »

Haha, for sure. The final 10 minutes or so, with the helicopters... God. I had to pick my eyeballs up from the floor after they fell out of their sockets from rolling around so much.

What, you didn't buy
that strap and hook holding up not one but two helicopters?
I can't imagine why.  :icon_think:

Still, it was pretty awesome.  Grin
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2018, 10:11:47 AM »
A quick note of thanks to all for using the SPOILER feature.

As someone who's behind on the latest releases, I appreciate it. :)

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D

Becca Mills

« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2018, 10:21:39 AM »

BTW, anyone else out there as obsessed with Moana as I am?
Recently Read ...

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Tom Wood

« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2018, 10:21:45 AM »

I managed to spoil the movie Jacob's Ladder for someone recently, so I'm aware of the possibility. That movie is 28 years old, and still I was chastised. Not that there's anything to spoil...

Anarchist

« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2018, 12:15:27 PM »

I managed to spoil the movie Jacob's Ladder for someone recently, so I'm aware of the possibility. That movie is 28 years old, and still I was chastised. Not that there's anything to spoil...

I think there's definitely a statute of limitations on films. But I have no idea where to apply it.

I figure if I haven't seen a film that's been out a few months, that's my problem. :)

On another note, I just watched Mississippi Grind...

Rating: 8/10

I love movies about gambling. This one was surprisingly good. (Having said that, for poker aficionados, it's tough to beat Rounders.)

Mississippi Grind is currently on Netflix.

guest120

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2018, 01:03:40 PM »
I must admit, I have no idea how to use the 'Spoiler' feature. Trial and error, I guess?

Also, I don't want to be the reason you don't watch 'Hold the Dark', because...well, you might like it...hard to say - tastes differ.

Having said that, I do have misgivings. Without giving away spoilers (at least I don't think I am), my main problem with the movie was the languid pace which I believe the filmmakers utilized on purpose as a superficial means of lending the story some kind of depth and meaning where none actually exists or I suppose to lend some kind of suspenseful moodiness to the whole thing, but for me that fell flat.

There's a lot of mystical mumbo-jumbo and plot points that seem to have been added just for the sake of trying to appear deep or give the movie a theme for the sake of doing so and to me it was totally transparent that's what was going on. The film induced a lot of eye-rolls and had me asking 'what was the point'?

And really, it's a shame, because the cast is pretty good and also, if they'd concentrated on a couple of other aspects of the story, IMO, you could've wound up with something along the lines of 'Wind River' or 'No Country for Old Men' (both of which I liked a lot) or hey...even '30 Days of Night' which is a guilty pleasure for me.

When it comes to Liam Neeson...can't forget he's in 'The Lego Movie'. I love that flick.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
When it comes to Liam Neeson...can't forget he's in 'The Lego Movie'. I love that flick.

A strong exception to the rule.  Or, rather, an awesome exception.   :banana:

Tom Wood

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2018, 01:32:17 PM »
I must admit, I have no idea how to use the 'Spoiler' feature. Trial and error, I guess? ...

Click on the Sp button to create the tags, then:

PJ Post

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2018, 01:37:34 PM »
+1 on Jacob's ladder too. Super creepy.

guest120

« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2018, 01:41:19 PM »
I must admit, I have no idea how to use the 'Spoiler' feature. Trial and error, I guess? ...

Click on the Sp button to create the tags, then:

Thanks for this!

Everything is cool when you're part of a team!

The Doctor

« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2018, 09:29:36 PM »
Saw this movie for the third time.

Rating: 9/10

Horror is tough to do right. This one nails it.

It's currently on HBO.

Brilliant movie! Which ending did you watch? The US or UK one?

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #75 on: October 09, 2018, 05:04:57 AM »
Just saw the new Ghost in the Shell. I liked it! I saw the original so long ago I honestly hardly remember any of it. I liked the world building and the characters of this new one.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #76 on: October 09, 2018, 05:10:46 AM »
... Ready Player One which I found disappointing. Unlike a lot of very vocal people, I enjoyed the book, and probably made a mistake watching the movie after reading the book, so I kept going "But why did they...ah, never mind."

I was ready for a big change in the story, so the movie worked for me just as well as the book. I like both.

In the movie, they fixed the one thing I didn't like about the ending in the book. Wade absolutely had to be in double-jeopardy during the final battle - in VR and IRL. Ever since they did that at the end of the original Matrix, it seems to me to be a required setup for stories that have two worlds.

Good point about the ending. I always struggle to be fair to a movie, if I have read the book. I actually really liked the actors, I thought Wade, H, ar3mis (can't remember the spelling!) were all great. A bit disappointed with Daito and Shoto who seemed a bit side lined in the movie version though.

Anarchist

« Reply #77 on: October 09, 2018, 05:28:44 AM »

I saw the U.S. version, but I've read about the UK version. It sounds like a great ending!

Which one do you prefer?

Tom Wood

« Reply #78 on: October 09, 2018, 05:41:26 AM »

Good point about the ending. I always struggle to be fair to a movie, if I have read the book. I actually really liked the actors, I thought Wade, H, ar3mis (can't remember the spelling!) were all great. A bit disappointed with Daito and Shoto who seemed a bit side lined in the movie version though.

I really like Jenny Nicholson's thoughtful analysis of movies. Be prepared though, she kinda destroys the magic. Here's her take on RPO:

Anarchist

« Reply #79 on: October 09, 2018, 07:25:30 AM »
I had the displeasure of watching this one today...

Rating: 4/10

Excerpt from Roger Ebert's review:

Heinlein intended his story for young boys, but wrote it more or less seriously. The one redeeming merit for director Paul Verhoeven's film is that by remaining faithful to Heinlein's material and period, it adds an element of sly satire. This is like the squarest but most technically advanced sci-fi movie of the 1950s, a film in which the sets and costumes look like a cross between Buck Rogers and the Archie comic books, and the characters look like they stepped out of Pepsodent ads.

Ebert had a way with words.

Tom Wood

« Reply #80 on: October 09, 2018, 07:32:58 AM »
Ebert, and pretty much every critic at the time, missed that it's a satire of the source material.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #81 on: October 09, 2018, 07:49:21 AM »
Ebert, and pretty much every critic at the time, missed that it's a satire of the source material.

This.  "Faithful to Heinlein's material"?  Gimme a break.  Ebert obviously never read the book.  Neither did Verhoeven, if I recall correctly.

For the record, I'm one of the few that actually likes the movie better than the book.  In the movie, we actually see battles and stuff.  In the book, it's all telling, not showing, and all the cool stuff happens off-screen.  But that doesn't change the fact that Verhoeven completely dropped the ball on making a faithful adaptation.

I also think Anarchist's 4/10 rating is pretty fair.  I like the movie better than the book, but that's because I really don't like the book at all.  It really is an object lesson in showing versus telling.

The Doctor

« Reply #82 on: October 09, 2018, 08:32:28 AM »

I saw the U.S. version, but I've read about the UK version. It sounds like a great ending!

Which one do you prefer?

I've only seen the UK version but know how the US one ended. I do like my downbeat endings, so... the UK one. Although this is an interesting article about the two endings.

https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/03/10/collins-crypt-on-the-two-endings-of-the-descent

Gayle Ramage Website

PJ Post

« Reply #83 on: October 09, 2018, 01:41:10 PM »
I've watched Starship Troopers more times than I can remember, love it....I'd buy that for a dollar!

I liked RPO too, but not nearly as much as Starship Troopers. I thought the book was more expansive, and a lot darker. The movie looked pretty nifty, though, even if the writing was on the weak side.

I really like Jenny Nicholson's thoughtful analysis of movies.

Funny, insightful and just a little mean. I like it.  grint

Here's the cinemasins video she mentions:

The following users thanked this post: Tom Wood

Anarchist

« Reply #84 on: October 11, 2018, 02:26:48 AM »
Recently watched this...

It's a solid thriller that moves at a quick clip.

guest120

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2018, 04:31:44 AM »
Recently watched this...

Will have to check that one out.

Also should mention...at the risk of being assailed with pitchforks and torches...recently re-watched 'Superman: The Movie' starring Christopher Reeve - hadn't seen it in decades.

It was...not good. 4/10. *runs for underground bunker*

Anarchist

« Reply #86 on: October 11, 2018, 04:38:41 AM »
Recently watched this...

The good news is, it's a Netflix Original. So there's no need to rush. It ain't going anywhere. :)

Jo

« Reply #87 on: October 11, 2018, 04:57:02 AM »
Citizen X

Rating it 10 out of 10
Jo

guest14

« Reply #88 on: October 11, 2018, 05:11:00 AM »

Also, I don't want to be the reason you don't watch 'Hold the Dark', because...well, you might like it...hard to say - tastes differ.

Well, that was an evening I will never get back.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #89 on: October 11, 2018, 06:00:09 AM »
Recently watched this...

Also should mention...at the risk of being assailed with pitchforks and torches...recently re-watched 'Superman: The Movie' starring Christopher Reeve - hadn't seen it in decades.

It was...not good. 4/10. *runs for underground bunker*

It was good at the time. Probably pretty dated as far as superhero movies go now.

fferyllt

« Reply #90 on: October 11, 2018, 01:02:30 PM »
A double-bill of The Lady in the Van, starring Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings, and The Limehouse Golem, starring Bill Nighy.

The former a semi-biographical account of writer Alan Bennett's encounters with a homeless woman over the decades.

Maggie Smith for the win! Anything she acts in, ever. :banana:

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

fferyllt

« Reply #91 on: October 11, 2018, 01:14:15 PM »
Crazy Rich Asians! Total fun. Smart. Some excellent acting (Michelle Yeoh, Awkwafina). Just a perfect break from too much reality. Saw it twice.

Becca Mills

« Reply #92 on: October 11, 2018, 01:42:03 PM »
Crazy Rich Asians! Total fun. Smart. Some excellent acting (Michelle Yeoh, Awkwafina). Just a perfect break from too much reality. Saw it twice.

Totally enjoyed it. The widgets liked it too. :)
Recently Read ...

Anarchist

« Reply #93 on: October 11, 2018, 11:47:40 PM »
Saw this recently (my third time)...

Disclaimer: I love everything Fincher does. Discount my rating accordingly.

The Game is currently on Netflix.

The Doctor

« Reply #94 on: October 12, 2018, 02:28:21 AM »

I really like this movie. Thought it was quite clever when I watched it. Might rewatch this weekend.

Gayle Ramage Website

Anarchist

« Reply #95 on: October 12, 2018, 07:14:13 AM »

I really like this movie. Thought it was quite clever when I watched it. Might rewatch this weekend.

It ain't perfect. But it's a ton of fun. :)

On another note, I just watched The Cooler...

It has a fantastic cast. I've grown accustomed to thinking of Alec Baldwin in the context of 30 Rock (the man can definitely do comedy). I almost forgot how good he can be in feature films.

Here's the trailer...

The Cooler is currently on HBO.

Mark Gardner

« Reply #96 on: October 13, 2018, 12:26:09 AM »
My daughter celebrates Hallowe'en six months out of the year, so yesterday we watched haunted mansion to prepare our youngest for our upcoming trip to Disneyland.

Anarchist

« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »
A double-bill of The Lady in the Van, starring Maggie Smith and Alex Jennings, and The Limehouse Golem, starring Bill Nighy.

The latter,  an entertaining Victorian Gothic tale about a London serial killer in the years before Jack the Ripper.

I watched The Limehouse Golem yesterday.

Great storytelling. And Bill Nighy was awesome.

The Limehouse Golem is currently on Hulu.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

KevinH

« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2018, 10:51:02 PM »
I watched a Netflic Original movie: Hold the Dark.  I thought the trailer was interesting and the basic premise drew me in: Deep in the Alaskan wilderness, a woman whose son has been killed by wolves asks a wolf expert to hunt down the animal responsible.  The actual film, however, is rather obtuse and leaves a horde of unamswered questions.  (Basically, it's not really clear why a number of the characters act the way they do.) There's at least one angle, though, that I'm pretty sure I 've figured out - despite it never being explicited stated in the movie.

All in all, I thought the film could have done with a little more "tell" instead of "show."

RappaDizzy

« Reply #99 on: October 15, 2018, 03:46:24 AM »
Just watched Black Panther. Pretty good. I go through a movie every two days on my treadmill using my iPad Pro - thank the stars for Netflix and Amazon Prime!