Author Topic: The dreaded comma splice!  (Read 8285 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: The dreaded comma splice!
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2020, 02:25:27 PM »
In other news, it appears we've moved on to the subject of the nonessential clause.  :icon_eek:

In other news, it appears we've moved on, to the subject of the nonessential clause.  grint
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2020, 02:33:29 PM »
In other news, it appears we've moved on to the subject of the nonessential clause.  :icon_eek:

In other news, it appears we've moved on, to the subject of the nonessential clause.  grint

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2020, 08:21:12 PM »
Not to blow this discussion up too much, but I just sent these three examples to one of the 50 folk kindly alpha-reading my latest. (Not examples of fine writing, or even sentences I would use, and I only put them out there to discuss the 'commas around and' issue.)

I believe (although I'm not certain) that the first is technically correct, but it has too many pauses for me.
The second sounds better to me when I hear the words in my head.
The third makes me want to gouge my eyes out.

Septimus pressed the button, and, with a smile, he opened the door.
Septimus pressed the button and, with a smile, he opened the door.
Septimus pressed the button, and with a smile, he opened the door.

Some might write 'Septimus pressed the button and opened the door with a smile' - no thanks, I prefer my doors serious.

Just to be a contrarian, the third is the only sentence of the bunch I can stand to look at. :D Two sentences joined with a conjunction and a necessary comma, and a clause in the second sentence, separated by a comma.

Is that what it is?  Grin

I would never put a comma after an and, always before.

Putting the comma after the and breaks the flow of the sentence completely. For me, anyway.
I hear my elementary school teacher saying, "Use commas where you would parenthesis," so #2 looks the most correct to me.

Probably I would break it up to be:

Septimus pressed the button and smiled. When the buzzer rang, he opened the door.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2020, 08:30:00 PM »
Septimus pressed the button and smiled. When the buzzer rang, he opened the door.

Winner.  :littleclap
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2020, 08:44:53 PM »

Probably I would break it up to be:

Oh yes, I agree entirely. My approach is always 'reword reword' instead of faffing around with Ye Olde Rules of Commas. I'm certainly not going to leaf through Elements of Style for 20 mins if I can just spend five seconds editing the sentence on the fly - avoiding the problem altogether.

notthatamanda

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2020, 11:13:08 PM »

Winner.  :littleclap
Thanks I needed that today.

PJ Post

« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2020, 11:37:21 PM »
I don't get all the fuss. It's Art. We can do whatever we want.

I resolve this issue by using Word's reading aloud function. If it sounds wonky when read aloud, it sounds wonky when read silently - so, I add punctuation as necessary, including commas, to create pauses. I do the same thing to slow down a sentence or to give a moment space or signal its importance. With the proliferation of reading apps, this is probably an approach worth considering.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Lynn

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2020, 12:39:11 AM »
PJ is the winner. That's what I do: what I want. ;)
Don't rush me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2020, 12:59:06 AM »
If I came across as trying to convince others that I am right, I apologize. Mostly I am just procrastinating here.

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2020, 01:39:49 AM »

I resolve this issue by using Word's reading aloud function. If it sounds wonky when read aloud, it sounds wonky when read silently

Well... :icon_think: for me, to the extent it's art it's commercial art; so, no, if I want to keep the commercial part in there with its implications of lots of people wanting to pay for it, then I can't do whatever I want. Personally, though, I don't really think of commercial/genre fiction books as art (though I do think of literary books more that way). I think of them as entertainment, the 'E' in 'A&E'.
(Of course this is all hypothetical for me since I've yet to pull the trigger and actually publish so... 🤷‍♂️ It'll happen though! I'm just juggling another entrepreneurial venture right now so it's slowed things down a lot.)

I do think using audio playbook of a book is a good way to see how it reads mentally to fine tune it. 👍
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

Lynn

« Reply #60 on: October 16, 2020, 02:05:06 AM »
There are grammar rules I follow when it suits me and rules I don't follow unless it suits me. :)

What matters most to me is:
1. Clarity
2. Reading ease
3. Emotion

I use comma splices when I feel they're the right thing to use. And technically, comma splices are allowed in some instances anyway even within the rules. :)

According to Garner's Modern English Usage: [M]ost usage authorities accept comma splices when (1) the clauses are short and closely related, (2) there is no danger of a miscue, and (3) the context is informal [...] But even when all three criteria are met, some readers are likely to object.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comma_splice

My little Harbrace College Handbook of old says the same thing.

Either a comma or a semicolon may be used between short main clauses ... when the clauses are parallel in form and unified in thought

This is not meant to educate anyone, btw. LOL. I just want to contribute to the conversation. :D
Don't rush me.

Anarchist

« Reply #61 on: October 16, 2020, 02:44:58 AM »

For me, it's business.

But I agree with you. I'll happily sacrifice pedantry on the alter of readability.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #62 on: December 20, 2020, 04:26:08 AM »

For me, it's business.

But I agree with you. I'll happily sacrifice pedantry on the alter of readability.

Pedantry Noun

ped·​ant·​ry | \ ˈpe-dᵊn-trē ... \
plural pedantries
Definition of pedantry
1: pedantic presentation or application of knowledge or learning
2: an instance of pedantry

Pedantic Adjective

pe·​dan·​tic | \ pi-ˈdan-tik ... \
Definition of pedantic
1: of, relating to, or being a pedant
    a pedantic teacher
2: narrowly, stodgily, and often ostentatiously learned
    a pedantic insistence that we follow the rules exactly
    Far worse, he was pedantic, pernickety, letting nothing inaccurate or of uncertain meaning go by—not an aphrodisiac quality.
— Kingsley Amis
3: UNIMAGINATIVE, DULL
    Pedantic song choices don't help any. Only 2 out of 10 songs stray from the most common classic-rock fodder. — Jim Farber

Love me some Marriam-Webster. (Emphasis added.)

For those who do not see the humor herein, I request, with fervor, you unclench with a nice little review of that which is important.

Of course, dear friends, I could shorten these streams of connective thought, but where is the joy in not possessing an aphrodisiac qualities?

Cheers,
R. C.