Author Topic: Amazon exceeds expectations? WTF?  (Read 2477 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Amazon exceeds expectations? WTF?
« on: January 21, 2020, 02:23:17 PM »
So I've had 2 instances of Amazon exceeding my expectation in the last few days.

First, the follower email for Midshipman Spacemage was sent 5 days after I put it on pre-order. The previous book was 8, and the one before that which wasn't a pre-order, was 13 days.

And just now, I noticed they setup a series page for Imperium Spacemage, even though it only has one book, and the book hasn't been released yet.

So what is up with Amazon at the moment. Exceeding expectations?

:icon_think: :shrug :dizzy :clap: :banana: :dance: :banana:
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

LMareeApps

Re: Amazon exceeds expectations? WTF?
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2020, 04:44:49 PM »
Work experience kid hasn't been given the appropriate smack-down yet?
Genres: Romance and Erotica

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
Work experience kid hasn't been given the appropriate smack-down yet?

Could be new interns I guess.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2020, 09:12:20 PM »
I had someone tell me they got a new release email for a preorder that I put up last week for a book going on sale in June. The same person never received a release notice for the book I released in September, or at least they didn't tell me if they did.  They changed something in the algos maybe.

Tim, did you set the book up as 1 in a series?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2020, 09:52:22 PM »
I had someone tell me they got a new release email for a preorder that I put up last week for a book going on sale in June. The same person never received a release notice for the book I released in September, or at least they didn't tell me if they did.  They changed something in the algos maybe.

Tim, did you set the book up as 1 in a series?

Yes. I always do when I know it's a series.

But in the past, I've been told by Amazon that they never set up a series page until there are at least 2 books released.

Something must have changed. Big tick for it though.

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2020, 10:49:03 PM »
Well thank you for posting this. My next book will be book 2 of, I guess a series. Didn't know that was going to happen. But now I can get it set up right away, once I get to that point.  If they send new release emails to people who have bought the previous books in the series, that would be really great.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2020, 10:51:33 PM »
If they send new release emails to people who have bought the previous books in the series, that would be really great.

Unless something has changed, they only go to people who have followed you.

Those who bought book 1 might get a suggestion email down the track though.

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2020, 12:55:34 AM »
A girl can dream, can't she?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2020, 01:45:21 AM »

Lynn

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2020, 02:30:53 AM »
I've been paying attention to your discussions of your experiences with the preorders lately. :D

Now that they don't require all that dummy file junk that was causing people trouble and have made them available for longer periods, I've been thinking it might be time to try one out. I just have to be careful because I'm can't alwaysever count on myself to write to a schedule. :D

It's a little terrifying to contemplate putting a deadline like that on a book. At the same time, I could probably use the structure to get me writing more. :D
Don't rush me.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2020, 02:44:12 AM »
I just have to be careful because I'm can't alwaysever count on myself to write to a schedule. :D

It's a little terrifying to contemplate putting a deadline like that on a book.

Same for me.

Last one I put more than I thought I needed, but only ended up shaving a week off, due to editing and proofing taking me twice as long as normal.

This time, I'm a good month beyond what is realistic. Book was completed last night, in editing now, and should be out by the end of the month. But I put the end of Feb as the release date, just in case something happens.

notthatamanda

« Reply #11 on: January 22, 2020, 02:56:00 AM »
I enjoyed my first preorder. The book was basically done before I put it up. I am doing a preorder now because I put the first three chapters free in another book and am advertising that like crazy. No luck yet though, my friend preordered one, that's about it. I did get 30 preorders on my last book, just with AMS, I don't have a mailing list.

Lynn

« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2020, 03:54:16 AM »
I have always released as I finish, and that's a necessary part of my process. If I wait, I'll drag it out. I did that with a book once before. I'd finished it in October and once I had moved on it took me until March to put it out. :D

So I'm thinking of pre-order as more of a promise that the next book is coming. And possibly a way to keep me focused on getting it done asap. :D
Don't rush me.

CoraBuhlert

« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2020, 10:16:35 AM »
The new release e-mails definitely arrive quicker these days.

Blog | Pegasus Pulp | Newsletter | Author Central | Twitter | Instagram
Genres: All of them, but mostly science fiction and mystery/crime