Author Topic: BookBub shenanigans?  (Read 1221 times)

Joe Vasicek

BookBub shenanigans?
« on: May 31, 2020, 08:56:45 AM »
So I had a BookBub Featured Deal last week, on Wednesday, for a permafree first in series book. It had 14,000 downloads on Amazon the first day, 1,500 the next day, and 500 yesterday. So far so good.

So far today, it's at 27.5k free downloads and climbing—almost double what it got on the day of my BookBub Featured Deal. Too soon to tell for sure, but it seems that this second spike is exclusive to Amazon (the book is wide).

I'm not complaining, but what in the heck is going on?

JRTomlin

Re: BookBub shenanigans?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 12:10:57 PM »
That is the good kind of shenanigans, at least.  👍

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 12:34:46 PM »
Sounds like a glitch on Amazon's part.

If it's real, then I have no idea what's going on.  If you find out, though, please let us know.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

alhawke

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 12:40:47 PM »
Weird. Maybe KDP didn't count them all. Sometimes it's delayed, particularly international. But that's like ... 40k downloads. Wow!

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
Sounds like a glitch on Amazon's part.

If it's real, then I have no idea what's going on.  If you find out, though, please let us know.

I think you're right.

The sales rank for this book peaked on Wednesday and has been gradually creeping down since. Also, I haven't seen a correlated increase in sales for the rest of the series.

It appears that Amazon is misreporting about 27,000 downloads as happening today, when they probably happened on Wednesday.

JRTomlin

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2020, 02:31:57 PM »
Lately, I've noticed a lot of reporting of sales & income running late on my account. Still there are worst glitches than finding out you did better than you thought.

notthatamanda

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2020, 10:17:26 PM »
My Amazon dash has been a mess for over a month. Sometimes the current day won't load at all. Usually looking at the beta dash yields different results and sales have been added to beta quicker, but sometimes even that is stuck.

Did you google the book name to see if a blogger mentioned it or something?

Still, I wonder, with this kind of numbers, maybe it was a Bookbub glitch? Like maybe some of the emails didn't go and they corrected it?
You could shoot them an email thanking them for the great results and mention it, maybe they would get back to you with an explanation. Just a suggestion.