Author Topic: AMS advice for the comically inept  (Read 29359 times)

DJCowdall

• Tag Line unlocked
Re: AMS advice for the comically inept
« Reply #500 on: February 10, 2022, 10:03:50 AM »
AMS makes my head hurt. 

I'm beyond the head-hurting stage, I'm brain-numbed:  Per various advices this and other threads, I raised AMS bids (a positive?) and jacked up book prices (a negative?) and suddenly began to see AMS sales, tho' not on a grand scale.  Why, how, what???

Remember, relevance is critical.

Here's an example for a small paperback I published (click the image to enlarge)...

These metrics are for one keyword. I bid on a ton of keywords, find the gems (those with high relevance evidenced by high CTR, high conversion rate, and low CPC compared to the "suggested bid"), and quickly prune the rest.

I don't even mess with Facebook ads or Bookbub ads these days outside of launches. There's too much unexploited opportunity with AMS.

Is bid amount important in this? Because you've blanked it out, and I'm not sure why?

Anarchist

« Reply #501 on: February 11, 2022, 03:58:30 AM »
AMS makes my head hurt. 

I'm beyond the head-hurting stage, I'm brain-numbed:  Per various advices this and other threads, I raised AMS bids (a positive?) and jacked up book prices (a negative?) and suddenly began to see AMS sales, tho' not on a grand scale.  Why, how, what???

Remember, relevance is critical.

Here's an example for a small paperback I published (click the image to enlarge)...

These metrics are for one keyword. I bid on a ton of keywords, find the gems (those with high relevance evidenced by high CTR, high conversion rate, and low CPC compared to the "suggested bid"), and quickly prune the rest.

I don't even mess with Facebook ads or Bookbub ads these days outside of launches. There's too much unexploited opportunity with AMS.

Is bid amount important in this? Because you've blanked it out, and I'm not sure why?

My data show that bid is important.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Hopscotch

« Reply #502 on: May 14, 2022, 01:56:11 AM »
I know it's criminal to revive on old(er) thread but  :help  My sales/reads via AMS remain peanuts after 6mos' trial & error using all of your advice here.  Should I continue trying to suss out the AMS magic and stick w/KU or abandon AMS and KU to go wide + other ad programs?  Or take up a new career in ant-farming?   

LilyBLily

« Reply #503 on: May 14, 2022, 03:39:32 AM »
I vote for the ant-farming. You can turn them into chocolate-covered ants and make a fortune.

:hehe

R. C.

• Long Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • Ruairí Cinéad Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #504 on: May 14, 2022, 03:47:03 AM »
Ant-farming... I've eaten ants in the Australian rainforest. Tasty like candy.  There's money to be made if you can replicate candy ants.

Oooo. Candy Ants. I think I found a title in need of a story.  BRB, I have an outline to create.

R.C.
↓↓↓ Latest Creation ↓↓↓

R.C. Ducantlin

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #505 on: May 14, 2022, 04:39:40 AM »
Worm-farming.  Farmers are in need of fertilizer.  Worms help turn compost into fertilizer.  Sell worms and fertilizer.  Win-win.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

LilyBLily

« Reply #506 on: May 14, 2022, 06:08:00 AM »
Sorry. It's Friday afternoon where I am, and getting serious about throwing away more money on ads just does not appeal. At least, not giving that money directly to Amazon.

:Healing:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #507 on: May 14, 2022, 06:12:29 AM »
For a fee, I'll be happy to tell a friend about your book(s).

For a larger fee, I'll pick friends that aren't illiterate.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Hopscotch

« Reply #508 on: May 14, 2022, 08:25:00 AM »
 :icon_lol2: y'all!

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #509 on: May 14, 2022, 08:42:06 AM »
I had an ant farm when I was a kid.  It was pretty fascinating for the few days that the ants lived.

I was probably not the best ant farmer.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #510 on: May 14, 2022, 10:51:24 AM »
I had an ant farm when I was a kid.  It was pretty fascinating for the few days that the ants lived.

Did you have a queen?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #511 on: May 14, 2022, 11:14:12 AM »

Did you have a queen?

No.  I think those cost extra.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Hopscotch

« Reply #512 on: May 31, 2022, 12:31:19 AM »
I give up trying to out-think AMS's calculated lunacy.  So far as I can see, my organic sales outrun AMS sales.  Tho' who really can tell? :confused: I'm bailing for the summer to concentrate on my ant farm.  And to see what happens to my total sales w/o AMS.

littleauthor

« Reply #513 on: June 12, 2022, 01:25:26 AM »
I was having modest success with AMS and bought Amazon Ads Unleashed by Robert J Ryan to understand more and it is the weirdest business book I have ever read. I have no idea what he is talking about. With one strategy he swears by, I'll try to lose money or break even for big rewards later. But then he says turn off the keywords that are money losers - so which is it?
Has anyone read this book?

I cleaned out all the non-performing keywords and upped the bids on the promising ones. Impressions went up dramatically and so has the spend. I have a limit and I'll dial it all down if sales and reads don't kick in sufficiently. But at the moment, it looks to me like AMS works fine with a low bid method supplemented by newsletter promotions every now and again. It's not sexy. It's not a "firehose of money" but it turns a profit while I continue writing.
"Not working to her full potential."

LilyBLily

« Reply #514 on: June 12, 2022, 05:31:34 AM »
I was having modest success with AMS and bought Amazon Ads Unleashed by Robert J Ryan to understand more and it is the weirdest business book I have ever read. I have no idea what he is talking about. With one strategy he swears by, I'll try to lose money or break even for big rewards later. But then he says turn off the keywords that are money losers - so which is it?

I cleaned out all the non-performing keywords and upped the bids on the promising ones. Impressions went up dramatically and so has the spend. I have a limit and I'll dial it all down if sales and reads don't kick in sufficiently. But at the moment, it looks to me like AMS works fine with a low bid method supplemented by newsletter promotions every now and again. It's not sexy. It's not a "firehose of money" but it turns a profit while I continue writing.

I'm pretty sure I have Ryan's book on my Kindle and haven't read it. Great. Another flimflam man. (Rich Dad is the worst, though.)

I started a brand new Amazon ad recently and somehow the keyword bid price I wrote in did not end up as the final one Amazon is using. Amazon is going 21 cents higher. Hardly matters, since so far the ad has barely been served. I'm using a $10-a-day budget. Too low?

Maybe I'll go wild and toss some money at Facebook ads again to see if outside agitation will get the Amazon ad working.

littleauthor

« Reply #515 on: June 12, 2022, 06:05:04 AM »

I'm pretty sure I have Ryan's book on my Kindle and haven't read it. Great. Another flimflam man. (Rich Dad is the worst, though.)

I started a brand new Amazon ad recently and somehow the keyword bid price I wrote in did not end up as the final one Amazon is using. Amazon is going 21 cents higher. Hardly matters, since so far the ad has barely been served. I'm using a $10-a-day budget. Too low?

Maybe I'll go wild and toss some money at Facebook ads again to see if outside agitation will get the Amazon ad working.
When you set your bid choose Custom (I think it's called) and then set your bid again in Default. Both places. I made this mistake of setting in it one place when I started and money caught on fire. And always choose Bid Down Only (I think that's what it's called)

I use a $5/day budget for some books that I'm just trying to get out of Amazon's basement and $10 for my new series. The ads take a good long while to start serving. I started ads in mid-Jan that I only just now pruned for non-performers. I don't think budget has as much impact as Bid but I would start low and go high as the months progress.

Another thing that's rarely talked about is advertising in other markets. Canada is cheap and so is Australia. They're smaller but my rank really improved there. Readers outside of the US have slightly different literary tastes so books that struggle in the US might do well in Canada, UK or Australia.

I think Ryan's problem is he needs an editor to get him on track and convey the bloody information. He can sneer at "gurus" (and he does) but at least they know how to teach a concept. *rant over* (Totally agree about Poor Dad Rich Dad. Oh-and The Secret. Ugh.)
"Not working to her full potential."

idontknowyet

« Reply #516 on: August 25, 2022, 12:38:59 PM »
Something interesting is happening with my ams ads.

For a while i left some auto ads running with low bids, because basically they did nothing but sit there collecting dust.

For the last month... month and a half, I've tried a new ish marketing strategy. Which is having moderate results, but i think stuff like this takes time to build. Especially since i have a long series and read through for the average person can take months and months.

In the last weeks my ams auto ads just started producing, very small but still profitable results. It's like they woke up and said hey lets sell her books out of the blue. This is in every country i have auto ads running in.

Has anyone ever heard of auto ads just spontaneously working?

alhawke

« Reply #517 on: August 25, 2022, 01:19:00 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of auto ads just spontaneously working?
No. But I've had ads randomly take off way better than others (successful ads with the same creatives/genre/authors as failed ones). Once an ad picks up with computer AI algorithms, I say run with it. Good luck!

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

Hopscotch

« Reply #518 on: August 31, 2022, 01:19:11 AM »
To add to the mystery of AMS:  I dropped all AMS ads June/July/August as a test and found that my ebook sales collapsed by 2/3 and my ppbk sales by 1/2.  I'm a lousy ad-maker - despite trying every bit of AMS advice offered here.  But this test tells me that even my comically inept ad-making skills have some impact.  I'm going back into AMS, hammer and tongs.