Author Topic: Paperback marketing  (Read 2378 times)

alhawke

Paperback marketing
« on: September 19, 2020, 04:16:24 AM »
Just sending out a general thread regarding paperback marketing advice.

There are ads for ebooks. Promos for ebooks. What are you guys using to move paperbacks? Your newsletter? The only thing I've ever found regarding promotions for paperbacks is an Indie promo company that runs a paperback promotion. Never tried it.

It's weird because audiobooks are advertised now. Why not our traditional paperbacks?

And now, with covid, it's an even harder sell.

notthatamanda

Re: Paperback marketing
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2020, 04:43:26 AM »
I used AMS and picked specific paperback book pages. It would advertise my ebook but people could look and see that I had a paper copy. Did I move a lot of books on Amazon? No, but I got some. I don't know how I sell paper books but the sales pop up on Ingram. I'm not in AMS anymore so I don't even know if that's still an option.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2020, 09:57:09 AM »
My paperbacks are on my Amazon page and my website.  I sell more non-fiction than fiction.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

alhawke

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 01:13:37 AM »
I used AMS and picked specific paperback book pages.
Yeah, AMS seems to be the only method of advertising that's ever worked for me for paperbacks. Sometimes paperbacks are purchased instead of ebooks even if you advertise the ebook. But I stopped using AMS because I was spending way more $ than selling.

My paperbacks are on my Amazon page and my website.  I sell more non-fiction than fiction.
Lorri, do you mean you sell paperbacks on your website??? I don't get a huge amount of traffic on my site, but during promotions, and so forth, I might land a sale this way.

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 01:23:13 PM »
I have a nonfiction title with a long-running AMS ad and at least one third of the sales are paperbacks. I really think it depends on the readers' preferences, not on the type of ad that is run. For instance, my short romances barely sell in paper, but my much longer women's fiction titles do sell in paper quite steadily.

alhawke

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 03:26:48 PM »
I really think it depends on the readers' preferences, not on the type of ad that is run.
I'm learning a lot from you guys about nonfiction sales here. Apparently they sell more. Certainly, textbooks and the like haven't entered the ebook craze.
Thanks for sharing Lily. All my books are fantasy,sci fi romance and I don't sell 30 paperbacks/70 ebooks like some people. More like <5/95.

edit: btw, for more hard data, at the moment I sell all my paperbacks at $12.99. On Ingram I set 45%. If any of you believe I'm overpriced, or under, with my books, I welcome advice. My ebooks do fine at $3.99, so I hesitate to drop much further with pricing paperbacks. Not to mention, the royalty starts getting pretty abysmal at lower rates--currently, my royalty back is only around $2-3 for paperbacks, similar to the ebooks.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 03:32:25 PM by alhawke »

okey dokey

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2020, 08:36:01 PM »
@Alhawke

Where do you get a paperback printed for $2 to $3

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2020, 10:53:04 PM »
I think alhawke meant his profit on a paperback was $2-3.

alhawke

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 12:41:53 AM »
Yes, royalty back, revenue averages = $2 to $3

Anarchist

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 02:04:53 AM »
Regarding AMS and paperback sales...

I recommend separating ads by format. One ad for ebooks. One ad for print.

The bids are different. The audiences are different. And my data show that targets can convert like gangbusters for one format and fail to convert for the other.

Creds: Impressions in the 10 figures, clicks in the 7 figures, and several thousand paperback sales per month.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

notthatamanda

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 03:41:17 AM »
Yes I did that, but we aren't actually allowed to advertise our print books, or did they change that? In other words, the link on the AMS ad will always go to the ebook and it's up to the customer to click on the paper format.

Hopscotch

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 05:03:57 AM »
Creds: Impressions in the 10 figures, clicks in the 7 figures, and several thousand paperback sales per month.

:clap:  :HB
. .

alhawke

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2020, 07:04:24 AM »
Yes I did that, but we aren't actually allowed to advertise our print books, or did they change that? In other words, the link on the AMS ad will always go to the ebook and it's up to the customer to click on the paper format.
You can create an ad now specifically for paperbacks on AMS; I did that, but have not been successful.

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

notthatamanda

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2020, 10:21:59 AM »
Oh that is interesting. Thanks. I may try one of those.

Edit - how do you do it? Does it have to be a Kindle Print paper book? I can't add my Ingram paper books that I can see.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2020, 10:27:47 AM by notthatamanda »

alhawke

« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2020, 01:27:48 PM »
It has to be Kindle only for AMS

notthatamanda

« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2020, 09:04:21 PM »
Okay, thank you. Do you know if you can use the same cover and text files for Ingram and Kindle paper books? If it is as simple as that maybe I should publish what I have on Kindle print. If I need new files ack, run away, run away,  :catrun

alhawke

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 05:25:08 AM »
Do you know if you can use the same cover and text files for Ingram and Kindle paper books? If it is as simple as that maybe I should publish what I have on Kindle print.

Different cover for Ingram, same PDF text files for both. That's how I do it. You have to have two different covers.

For ads, Amazon will only advertise Amazon.

Interestingly, Bookbub can advertise audiobooks but not paperbacks. Bookbub can technically advertise anywhere with a custom URL, which makes me contemplate connecting to paperback links. But typically, when I've experimented with custom URLs with BB ads, it's been useless (tried it once for Booksprout). Not sure of Facebook ads--never tried them..

AMS is an interesting option for me to try again. I was seeing if you guys knew of any other methods too ... say promos and so forth.

alhawke

« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 05:31:00 AM »
Just remembered, for those folks using Ingram, Ingram has a marketing option for new releases. From my past readings, this has not sold any books for writers. It's close to $100 for ads to run on pamphlets and such for libraries and book stores. SO ... anyone use the Ingram marketing service recently? I'd be willing to give it a shot if people have had positive experiences with it.

notthatamanda

« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2020, 05:33:10 AM »
I tried it last fall, with a Sept release and it was in the January catalogue. Save your money. (Not to be bossy.) Even the trades released in Sept were in the Jan catalogue.

Thanks for the info on Amazon print. I can't make another version of the cover for it so  :catrun