Author Topic: On novel-writing by Booker Prize winner  (Read 2859 times)

Hopscotch

On novel-writing by Booker Prize winner
« on: October 04, 2020, 01:13:51 AM »
John Banville, 2005 Booker prize winner, has written a charming short essay on novel-writing called “Writing a novel is like wading through wet sand, at night, in a storm” in The Guardian, 3 Oct 2020.  Here's an excerpt; the whole thing is at the URL below:

“At what moment can the composition of a novel be said to have begun?...For my part, any novel that I am working on seems to have had no beginning, but to have been always somehow under way; perhaps there is only one novel, of which every so often I publish a segment. Yet in the case of The Sea I do seem to recall an initiating moment. I say ‘seem’, because it’s possible I imagined it; in art, origination myths are common, and enduring.  I see myself walking on a beach on a cold pale morning in the spring…”

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/oct/03/writing-a-novel-is-like-wading-through-wet-sand-at-night-in-a-storm-john-banville-on-the-sea

. .

The following users thanked this post: angela

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: On novel-writing by Booker Prize winner
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 01:17:13 AM »
Funny, for me it's more like running on hot white sand, on a brilliant summer's day.

grint
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 01:34:01 AM »
For me it's like eating handfuls of sand, until eventually I get used to the texture and manage to stomach enough to finish off the whole damn beach.

The following users thanked this post: sandree

cecilia_writer

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 02:06:25 AM »
For me it's like walking on the kind of beach I've coincidentally just been writing about, which is part shingle, part sand of various consistencies and then there are the mudflats...
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

idontknowyet

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 11:59:25 AM »
I find writing to be more like bobbing in the waves sometimes youre up, sometimes youre down, and most of the time the words/water controls you even though you think it should be the other way around.

The following users thanked this post: Jessica

Jessica

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 10:42:55 AM »
I find writing to be more like bobbing in the waves sometimes youre up, sometimes youre down, and most of the time the words/water controls you even though you think it should be the other way around.

Comes close to my experiences. ;D I'd describe it more like being abandoned in the middle of a desert with an empty map, a compass that doesn't point north and a bunch of people who won't stop talking all at once or don't speak at all for weeks. I'm annoyed and miserable most of the time but, deep down, there is this curiosity that keeps me going, and I arrive... somewhere, eventually. It's never the place I wanted to go to, but it seems it's the place where I should be. :shrug
Avatar Photo by Allef Vinicius on Unsplash

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 11:47:51 AM »
there is this curiosity that keeps me going, and I arrive... somewhere, eventually. It's never the place I wanted to go to, but it seems it's the place where I should be. :shrug

"I'm going there. But I like it here, wherever it is." Song lyric.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Jessica

Jotheboat

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 11:14:21 PM »
John Banville's The Sea is the only book I have kept since purchase. I have read and re-read.
His prose is exquisite.

Vijaya

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2020, 05:34:48 AM »
You all made me laugh about running in sand, eating sand, being in a desert. Although I go to the beach often, all my writing feels like hacking my way through the woods--dark, dark woods.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2020, 07:57:43 AM »
You all made me laugh about running in sand, eating sand...

:icon_mrgreen:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Vijaya

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2020, 08:05:44 AM »
 grint

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 08:27:59 AM »
Thus far, my writing experience has been...

(digitalndesign April 12, 2016)

Cheers,
R.C.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, Jessica

Luke Everhart

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Energizer bunny arrested: charged with battery. 😔
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 09:54:23 AM »

(digitalndesign April 12, 2016)

Cheers,
R.C.

That looks like a blast 😁👍 
Urban Fantasy Author
Magic & Mirth meets Action & Attitude

PJ Post

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 11:48:34 PM »
My beach is a lot less pretentious.

And...

Yep.

Anarchist

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2020, 02:26:47 AM »
For me, it's like creating a flower arrangement. I can be creative, but I also know what works with my audience. I stray at my own risk.

Ultimately, it's a matter of putting in the time. I can agonize over getting everything perfect. Or I can recognize that "great" is good enough. It's time to ship it and start working on the next arrangement.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, sliderule

Paul Gr

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2021, 08:09:57 PM »
I wouldn't write if I felt like that about it, I find writing to be fun and interesting.

The following users thanked this post: djmills

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2021, 02:48:03 AM »
there is this curiosity that keeps me going, and I arrive... somewhere, eventually. It's never the place I wanted to go to, but it seems it's the place where I should be. :shrug

"I'm going there. But I like it here, wherever it is." Song lyric.

At 3:14.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"