Author Topic: Now I know why I will never get a BookBub  (Read 56783 times)

notthatamanda

Re: Now I know why I will never get a BookBub
« Reply #150 on: April 24, 2021, 07:19:23 AM »
That's how you know worrying works. Most of the stuff I worry about never happens.

PaulineMRoss

« Reply #151 on: April 24, 2021, 07:34:19 AM »
I noticed something interesting on the Bookbub website today. The average downloads for my genre used to be 24,600. Now it's 18,200. That's a 25% drop. Big difference. They still charge the same fee, though. Grin

Writing epic fantasy as Pauline M Ross; writing Regency romance as Mary Kingswood
Bookbub score: 16 for 93

notthatamanda

« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2021, 08:03:48 AM »
That's how you know worrying works. Most of the stuff I worry about never happens.

Lol. How come worrying didn't work the other 10 times in the past year? It all started going horribly wrong in March last year. This is the first time the price went up without me having to hassle Amazon since then.

However, if whining on Tim's forum works, then I'm going to keep doing that.  Grin
I guess I'm better at it than you. A lifetime of practice.

LilyBLily

« Reply #153 on: April 25, 2021, 01:38:25 AM »
The price went right back up this morning even though I only asked at midnight last night. No issue there. 

I did apply for another BookBub as suggested, for a different title. I can't seriously believe they'll say yes, but since I have proof that even an international ad can make a profit, I'm trying again.

I agree that BB doesn't care if a book is well written. If it seems plausible--good cover, on target for subgenre, etc.--they'll run it even though many of the reviews will say, "This is the worst book this author has written." That includes trad pub books.

I was hoping my recent run would provide more Amazon reviews. Instead, one review that Amazon had deleted has been restored.  :dizzy

LilyBLily

« Reply #154 on: April 27, 2021, 07:48:05 AM »
Still waiting for BookBub to reject my latest attempt. I guess they get a lot over the weekend and it takes a day or so to sort through them.

Meanwhile, I discovered that Google Play not only did not automatically return my book's price to normal, but it delisted the book. This does not help with a tail, folks.

I've manually fixed it, I hope. Part of the site says it's available and part hasn't caught up and isn't counting it in my total list of titles. Fun and games.

LilyBLily

« Reply #155 on: April 27, 2021, 10:21:28 PM »

This is probably a bit late, but have you tried the online support Google chat. They usually fix anything I need on the spot. No need to wait.

Also, have you noticed problems with Apple. I can't get into the back end of my books to set up pricing for my latest release, so every other platform is live except for Apple. Real pain in the butt because I have campaigns running for it.

I did not see a live chat feature on Google Play. I've looked again just now and don't see it. Where is it located? My book's listing there is correct now.

I had such a wretched time struggling with pricing on Apple that years ago I switched to going through D2D to Apple. Happy to avoid the hassle. I do have one book left that's direct, but since I never change its price, I don't have an answer for you.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2021, 12:14:09 AM by LilyBLily »

Simon Haynes

« Reply #156 on: April 28, 2021, 07:27:18 PM »
Still waiting for BookBub to reject my latest attempt. I guess they get a lot over the weekend and it takes a day or so to sort through them.

Meanwhile, I discovered that Google Play not only did not automatically return my book's price to normal, but it delisted the book. This does not help with a tail, folks.

I've manually fixed it, I hope. Part of the site says it's available and part hasn't caught up and isn't counting it in my total list of titles. Fun and games.

It's been five days for me and no rejection yet (scifi space opera, wide).

I'm guessing they're waiting to see if something better comes along.  Most scifi space opera is in KU, so I guess that's something in my favour.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily

PaulineMRoss

« Reply #157 on: April 28, 2021, 09:17:15 PM »
It's been five days for me and no rejection yet (scifi space opera, wide).

I'm guessing they're waiting to see if something better comes along.  Most scifi space opera is in KU, so I guess that's something in my favour.

Five days is a very good sign. It means they're considering it. It might still get rejected but it's not a hard pass, anyway. Fingers crossed for you!

Writing epic fantasy as Pauline M Ross; writing Regency romance as Mary Kingswood

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes, LilyBLily

LilyBLily

« Reply #158 on: April 28, 2021, 10:58:38 PM »
While I wait to be rejected/accepted for the next BookBub ad, I noticed something about the book that just ran the international BB ad. It now has four more ratings (not reviews). I don't know if this is good or bad. Probably good. After the first few reviews, unless there's something in a story that sticks out like a sore thumb, everybody says the same thing, anyway. And if something does stick out, they say the same thing with different pejoratives. I must admit I find those reviews entertaining.

LilyBLily

« Reply #159 on: April 29, 2021, 11:06:41 PM »
Holy moley! I got another international BookBub! Yikes!

The following users thanked this post: PaulineMRoss, VanessaC, cecilia_writer, Gerri Attrick, JackT

notthatamanda

« Reply #160 on: April 29, 2021, 11:11:04 PM »
Congratulations!

Simon Haynes

« Reply #161 on: April 29, 2021, 11:34:50 PM »
Me too! International only (non-US)

I've seen an awful lot of big-name authors/books in my Bookbub emails lately, and as I suggested earlier in this thread, that has to be leaving more room for international-only deals. Publishers based in Au/Ca/UK/In can't use Bookbub featured deals unless they hold the rights in all those countries, which almost never happens. So, US publishers are cherry picking the US slots, and that leaves room for indies.

Works for me.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, Gerri Attrick, JackT

LilyBLily

« Reply #162 on: April 29, 2021, 11:42:13 PM »
So here's my question. Someone suggested that I should have immediately pressed for a U.S. ad with the same book that had the international deal this month, and for sure BB would have given me that deal. Do we really think that's what's happening now?

Instead, I submitted a different book. I tend to agree with Simon that the trad pub ads are pushing the indie ads to international, but my concern is that if or when BB finally agrees to a U.S. deal, the supporting ads I bought and will buy for the international deals will have drawn off some of the U.S. sales potential. Is BB's mailing list still so wonderful that even if stacked newsletter ads produce nothing much the U.S. BB ad alone will be profitable?

Simon Haynes

« Reply #163 on: April 30, 2021, 12:51:56 AM »
I've never tried to 'hold back' the US edition at full price while dropping the intl ones to 99c, in order to apply for a US bookbub 30 days after the intl one. I think the chances of getting a US-only BB are slim indeed.

I prefer to drop the price across the board and book promos elsewhere for the US market. I don't cycle back to apply for a BB with that particular book for 6-12 months at least.

(My last BB, and this one, are for titles I've never run a promo for even though they were released in 2018/2019.)

JackT

« Reply #164 on: April 30, 2021, 02:01:54 AM »
I've always made a substantial profit on US only deals; and I haven't ever tried stacking them. I am going to give it a go next month, though.

Is it better to have the smaller promotions before or after the big day? Or a couple before and a couple after? I've got a six day window, with the Bookbub on Day 3.

LilyBLily

« Reply #165 on: April 30, 2021, 04:15:10 AM »
I've always made a substantial profit on US only deals; and I haven't ever tried stacking them. I am going to give it a go next month, though.

Is it better to have the smaller promotions before or after the big day? Or a couple before and a couple after? I've got a six day window, with the Bookbub on Day 3.

Since the purpose these days of stacking is to keep Amazon from freaking out on the day of the BookBub spike and taking your book off sale, you certainly want some promos before. I don't know if after is worth paying for. Might be the moment to send out your own newsletter, tweet, do Instagram or Facebook posts, that sort of social media. 

The following users thanked this post: JackT

notthatamanda

« Reply #166 on: April 30, 2021, 08:10:17 AM »
Bknights on Fiverr is like $12 if you want a pre bookbub boost for not a lot of money.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, JackT

VanessaC

« Reply #167 on: April 30, 2021, 06:08:29 PM »
So here's my question. Someone suggested that I should have immediately pressed for a U.S. ad with the same book that had the international deal this month, and for sure BB would have given me that deal. Do we really think that's what's happening now?

Instead, I submitted a different book. I tend to agree with Simon that the trad pub ads are pushing the indie ads to international, but my concern is that if or when BB finally agrees to a U.S. deal, the supporting ads I bought and will buy for the international deals will have drawn off some of the U.S. sales potential. Is BB's mailing list still so wonderful that even if stacked newsletter ads produce nothing much the U.S. BB ad alone will be profitable?

For info, in case it's helpful. I applied for a US-only BB deal for the book that had run on the international-only BB deal this month, and was rejected within a day or so. From memory, I think a lot of people who've had international-only deals have then had success with applying for a US-only deal, but it's certainly not guaranteed (of course - nothing is!).

I've been really happy with the international BB deal, though - I continue to see a nice trickle of sales on the discounted box set and, even better, significantly higher page reads than normal for that box set, plus overall increased sales and page reads on my other books and a few more pre-orders on my next release. So it's going to be - for me - a profitable month.

Genre: Fantasy

notthatamanda

« Reply #168 on: April 30, 2021, 09:44:52 PM »
You guys have inspired me to apply again with the book they accepted for Int'l before. I've sold 8 copies of it YTD. I've got nothing to lose. It has nice reviews from UK readers, it really seemed to resonate with people there.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2021, 09:58:09 PM by notthatamanda »

The following users thanked this post: Simon Haynes

LilyBLily

« Reply #169 on: May 01, 2021, 12:09:08 AM »
You guys have inspired me to apply again with the book they accepted for Int'l before. I've sold 8 copies of it YTD. I've got nothing to lose. It has nice reviews from UK readers, it really seemed to resonate with people there.

Good idea. I had to put submitting on my to-do list and force myself to keep trying. By becoming indies we avoid direct rejections from agents and editors, but we still are rejection avoidant.   

RPatton

« Reply #170 on: May 01, 2021, 04:24:23 AM »
To add, Book Doggy is only $18 and I saw really nice results with it, which could give you a nice bump pre-Bookbub.

The following users thanked this post: JackT

notthatamanda

« Reply #171 on: May 02, 2021, 06:52:21 AM »
Rejected. 48 hour turn around.

The following users thanked this post: Doglover

LilyBLily

« Reply #172 on: May 02, 2021, 02:11:08 PM »

Darn. Maybe next time.  :smilie_zauber:

The following users thanked this post: notthatamanda

Simon Haynes

« Reply #173 on: May 03, 2021, 08:13:57 PM »

alhawke

« Reply #174 on: May 04, 2021, 05:47:53 AM »
Me too. I think I've had two rejections since the thread started.  :tap
 :cheers Never surrender, Amanda.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #175 on: May 04, 2021, 05:57:45 AM »
Me too. I think I've had two rejections since the thread started.  :tap
 :cheers Never surrender, Amanda.

Two? Piker  :icon_cool:
I'm waiting for rejection number twelve since this thread started. Had a few heart palpitations last week when it took them five days to reject.

alhawke

« Reply #176 on: May 04, 2021, 10:11:47 AM »
Ha, ha! Maybe I need to up the ante. I'll keep applying  :tap

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #177 on: May 06, 2021, 11:29:25 PM »
Received my second BB rejection today. Does that mean I can apply to join the club? Is there a minimum number of rejections to apply for club membership?

:doh:

Cheers,
R.C.

notthatamanda

« Reply #178 on: May 06, 2021, 11:52:39 PM »
I think I've got over a hundred. You may join but you are still a prawn, no offense. We all have to start somewhere.

PaulineMRoss

« Reply #179 on: May 07, 2021, 01:47:59 AM »
I racked up 60 rejections before I got an acceptance, so keep applying, folks!

JackT

« Reply #180 on: May 07, 2021, 01:59:53 AM »
I've lost count. It must be 30 or 40 at least.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #181 on: May 07, 2021, 02:12:51 AM »
My last acceptance was in February 2020. Since then, I've racked up 70 rejections.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #182 on: May 07, 2021, 02:16:33 AM »
I racked up 60 rejections before I got an acceptance, so keep applying, folks!
I've lost count. It must be 30 or 40 at least.
My last acceptance was in February 2020. Since then, I've racked up 70 rejections.

:HB  :dizzy  :shrug

I just don't have that kind of devotion to getting one.

I completely gave up after about a dozen.

With all the talk of Indies only getting Intl ones, I don't see the point of even bothering.

But good luck to those of you who never give up.  :tap
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #183 on: May 07, 2021, 02:43:30 AM »
:HB  :dizzy  :shrug

I just don't have that kind of devotion to getting one.

I completely gave up after about a dozen.

With all the talk of Indies only getting Intl ones, I don't see the point of even bothering.

But good luck to those of you who never give up.  :tap

It literally takes me five minutes per month. I have five series and submit the first in each every four weeks, like clockwork. I'm hoping they'll give me a featured deal eventually if only so I'll stop submitting  grint

notthatamanda

« Reply #184 on: May 07, 2021, 03:33:08 AM »
I used to be a little bit more regular about it. Now it's just when people are talking about it a lot here and I can pretend I'm doing work.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #185 on: May 07, 2021, 03:35:49 AM »
Over the past few months I've had four rejections in a row, four acceptances in a row.

It's not so much about your book, rather it's related to what they've already lined up.  If they have a load of epic fantasy books and someone offers something a little different it has a much higher chance.

My acceptances were scifi comedy, light scifi adventure, gaslamp fantasy and mil scifi (only one of them in KU)

notthatamanda

« Reply #186 on: May 07, 2021, 04:59:54 AM »
Eh, no worries. Am I ever going to get a romance bookbub? Probably not. If they accept me I'll probably take it as a sign that Bookbub is in its last days. My romance is competing against books with 100s of reviews with a 4.9+* average. I'm low 4s with 70 or so reviews. It will never happen.

notthatamanda

« Reply #187 on: May 07, 2021, 05:58:05 AM »
Yeah, I was contemplating rebranding them as women's fiction. Can't justify the cost of the new covers though.

LilyBLily

« Reply #188 on: May 07, 2021, 09:47:53 AM »
I haven't submitted often--and BookBub helpfully keeps a list of my submissions, so now I know it was a total of eleven--and they've passed on this next book twice before. I think Simon has the right of it and their people pick and choose based on what other books they're got lined up.

My assumption is that the trad pub women's fiction, with its typical $1.99 or $2.99 as the discount price, is the preferred deal for BookBub. Since there is plenty of trad pub backlist to pump through the system, I doubt I could ever get a U.S. deal. I'd do a 99-cent deal and accepting my book in place of a trad pub book means $751 or $1522 in lost revenue for BB. I can't see why BB would go for that.

On the other hand, if BB wants to keep giving me international deals, and the ads each make a small profit, then I can use that profit to fund other ads that might be even more profitable. At the moment I'm soured on Amazon ads and not ready to try yet again with Facebook.

LilyBLily

« Reply #189 on: May 16, 2021, 09:02:53 AM »
The run-up to my international BookBub on Monday has begun. I'll spare you the details this time around. So far, the first paid newsletter ad (non-international, AFAIK) has produced enough sales to amortize the cost of the ad and make a tiny profit. Score!

notthatamanda

« Reply #190 on: May 16, 2021, 11:43:51 AM »
Nice! Congratulations.

alhawke

« Reply #191 on: May 16, 2021, 12:38:03 PM »
Congrats, Lily! :dance:

LilyBLily

« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2021, 05:28:12 AM »
Here's a question for those of you with experience. Does the very first newsletter ad in a stacked sequence produce the most sales? This time around I've carefully separated out the newsletter ads to one per day and no social media alerts, the purpose being to see exactly which ones produced sales. But the truth is that without a tracking pixel I have no way of knowing if a sale today is from the newsletter that hit yesterday or from today's ad. Similarly, after the BookBub tomorrow, there will be people who only look at the email on Tuesday or Wednesday, and I have other ads scheduled for those two days. So I won't really know exactly how many sales can be attributed to the BookBub newsletter alone.

This time around I've remembered to checking my book's rankings, which is entertainment. grint Haven't seen those numbers in a while.

alhawke

« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2021, 05:47:09 AM »
Does the very first newsletter ad in a stacked sequence produce the most sales?
No. Sometimes I prime a big sale and can see the start of sales, but, in my opinion, the sales depend on the popularity of the newsletter, not the order in which it is released by day or time.

There's not much of a way to track it, but there's much less sales on a tail the following day (except from Bookbub). Usually I find the newsletter of the day is leading to the vast majority of your daily sales.

Only a few promotion companies fair better after the first day with a tail. Books Butterfly & The Portalist, for example, do well, if not better, on the second day--I think because they rely on multiple mailouts rather than one single email.

JRTomlin

« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2021, 12:02:44 PM »
On the ever helpful partners blog, BookBub gives nine reasons a book was rejected:

https://insights.bookbub.com/reasons-book-rejected-bookbub-featured-deal

My problem is #7--not enough platform, specifically reviews. So we have that famous chicken-egg conundrum: Not enough sales to interest BookBub in increasing my books' sales, not enough reviews to interest BookBub in increasing my books' review count.

I guess I can use that thousand dollars I won't be spending on a BookBub ad for a lot of Facebook ads or something. Or maybe I'm supposed to hunt up and pay for a couple hundred reviews. That's a great use of ad money, just give the book away to a thousand people and hope I get a hundred new reviews. Or two hundred. Actually, it's hard to find a service that can give away that many books on the direct hope/assumption the recipient will review it. Straight book giveaways have not worked for me at all; I can give away a couple thousand books and get zero reviews.

Last week I had 23 requests for a free copy of one of my titles through a company that says it has a 75% review rate. So far, no new reviews. In my personal experience, if I don't read a book as soon as I download it, I probably won't read it ever, so I am not hopeful that 75% will apply to my book.

I'm committed to asking BookBub once a month every month this year, anyway. They might have an off moment and want my thousand dollars after all.
If it is any comfort, reviews don't always help. They just turned down one of my novels that has more than a thousand reviews. 🤷‍♀️

I would totally skip Bookbub if I could find a platform that gave even close to the same results. AMS definitely doesn't for me. I have been stacking smaller advertisers with some results, but nothing exactly spectacular. It can be frustrating.

LilyBLily

« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2021, 02:56:36 PM »
That is so frustrating. You have plenty of proof that your book is pleasing to many readers.

I think Simon is right that BB is simply matching its category needs with its remaining openings after taking the bigger money offered by trad pubs to run ads for their backlist titles.

I was wrong about number of reviews being meaningful to BookBub. BB offered me the first international ad on a title that had a mere nine reviews. The international ad and all my supporting U.S. newsletter ads garnered the book fourteen additional ratings. At this point I think if the ratings increase, having more reviews will not matter. Potential readers will see the total number, maybe read a few of the reviews, and make up their minds.

It's tough to know we must advertise and yet have so few ways to do it effectively. This second international BB I've got running May 17 will likely earn me a net of a couple hundred dollars--and that is nothing compared to the thousands that my old Amazon ads used to earn on one title alone. 

« Last Edit: May 17, 2021, 10:46:21 PM by LilyBLily »

PaulineMRoss

« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2021, 04:32:42 PM »
Here's a question for those of you with experience. Does the very first newsletter ad in a stacked sequence produce the most sales? This time around I've carefully separated out the newsletter ads to one per day and no social media alerts, the purpose being to see exactly which ones produced sales. But the truth is that without a tracking pixel I have no way of knowing if a sale today is from the newsletter that hit yesterday or from today's ad. Similarly, after the BookBub tomorrow, there will be people who only look at the email on Tuesday or Wednesday, and I have other ads scheduled for those two days. So I won't really know exactly how many sales can be attributed to the BookBub newsletter alone.

This time around I've remembered to checking my book's rankings, which is entertainment. grint Haven't seen those numbers in a while.

I've found in the past when I've had a Bookbub without any other promo that the first day is the big hit, the second day produces about a quarter of that, the third day a quarter of day 2 and so on. Other promo sites seem to be similar. So you could use that as a very rough rule of thumb. But Bookbub dwarfs anything else.

notthatamanda

« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2021, 08:47:13 PM »
That is so frustrating. You have plenty of proof that your book is pleasing to many readers.

I think Simon is right that BB is simply matching its category needs with its remaining openings after taking the bigger money offered by trad pubs to run ads for their backlist titles.

I was wrong about number of reviews being meaningful to BookBub. BB offered me the first international ad on a title that had a mere nine reviews. The international ad and all my supporting U.S. newsletter ads garnered the book fourteen additional ratings. At this point I think if the ratings increase, having more reviews will not matter. Potential readers will see the total number, maybe read a few of the reviews, and make up their minds.

It's tough to know we must advertise and yet have so few ways to do it effectively. This second international BB I've got running May 17 will likely earn me a net of a couple hundreds dollars--and that is nothing compared to the thousands that my old Amazon ads used to earn on one title alone.
It's like pushing a boulder up a hill, except the boulder keeps getting bigger and the hill keeps getting steeper.

Crystal

« Reply #198 on: May 18, 2021, 08:15:23 AM »
There are good AMS kws still but it's specific to the book. If you can really target similar covers or themes, specific themes not broad ones like bad boys or billionaires, you can get a decent ACoS. I wouldn't expect to make a profit on a standalone. But on a series of 2-3+ it's doable.

JRTomlin

« Reply #199 on: May 18, 2021, 09:24:37 AM »

I've found in the past when I've had a Bookbub without any other promo that the first day is the big hit, the second day produces about a quarter of that, the third day a quarter of day 2 and so on. Other promo sites seem to be similar. So you could use that as a very rough rule of thumb. But Bookbub dwarfs anything else.
It is definitely more effective to stack it with a few smaller advertisers. The first trick, of course, is getting the BB. I have lost track of how many I have had over the years, certainly more than a dozen. Twenty, maybe? But I still can't count on them and not being able to PLAN your advertising campaigns puts us at a huge disadvantage.

AMS as far as I am concerned can never be more than a drip campaign. I see no way to really build a platform using it.