Author Topic: Now I know why I will never get a BookBub  (Read 56830 times)

LilyBLily

Re: Now I know why I will never get a BookBub
« Reply #500 on: January 08, 2022, 01:41:03 PM »
That sounds bad, but I don't think my BB results are any better.

People know they're getting a super bargain when a book whose regular price is $6.99 is available for $0.99, so maybe I get a few hundred sales, but do they then go get the others? Not at $6.99; only a handful of people will. The rest probably wait and hope the other titles will be on sale at 99 cents eventually. I had a good run last year, but it's hard to imagine I can repeat that and I'm not even going to try.

A thought that suddenly seems kind of silly. I probably ought to submit another book to BB.

alhawke

« Reply #501 on: January 08, 2022, 01:49:38 PM »
A thought that suddenly seems kind of silly. I probably ought to submit another book to BB.
How long do you, or any of you, wait to re-submit? I was really surprised that they took my book for another intl sale only 2 months after the last one in October. Do you guys start applying again right when 30 days is up??? With more and more books, I could conceivably apply quite often, but I don't want to bug.

LilyBLily

« Reply #502 on: January 09, 2022, 12:06:07 AM »
I would have thought a year between hawking the same book, but I wanted to catch the winter buyers, so it was seven months for that title. As you know, BB sends an email after the current sale ends telling you to submit another book right away. I did that last year and got three in a row, but the fourth book struck out and I know the fifth would, too. (It's not a popular book, period. I gave it a lot of review love from Net Galley and Hidden Gems and my ARC group but it simply did not garner much enthusiasm. I'm not going to bother submitting that one.) I will try one of my titles next week that ran last year. Those would be nine or ten months since the first BB ad for them.

The quality of the book is meaningless; it's how it presents. I can't tell you how many BB books I've scoped out that have extremely negative reviews. They appear to be the dogs of some otherwise successful authors. Aside from a great cover, part of the presentation is reader enthusiasm; if it has lots of reviews BB is going to count that as a positive.   

If I want to try my box set for a BB deal, I'll have to pay someone to pretty up the cover I made for it in Canva. For a box set obviously there aren't likely to be any reviews at all if it's brand new.     

alhawke

« Reply #503 on: January 09, 2022, 02:49:44 AM »
12 months sounds ideal. But then the question becomes: what about books in series? What about books in the same universe? My recent BB might not have faired as well as I just had a very successful boxed set from BB 2 months prior. Did I saturate my books in the BB market? But fantasy is different than contemporary paranormal romance (and also a harder market to crack).

My main question was how often should I apply right after a promo. It sounds like you apply freely. I didn't want to appear pesty.

One new thing I'm going to try is a paid Kobo free promo paired with a freebooksy. Never done that before.

JRTomlin

« Reply #504 on: January 09, 2022, 03:15:59 AM »
I generally only submit the first novel in a series. I want the rest to be bought at full price. 🤷‍♀️

« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 06:33:15 AM by JRTomlin »

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #505 on: January 09, 2022, 06:34:44 AM »
How long do you, or any of you, wait to re-submit? I was really surprised that they took my book for another intl sale only 2 months after the last one in October. Do you guys start applying again right when 30 days is up??? With more and more books, I could conceivably apply quite often, but I don't want to bug.

Back in the day, Wayne Stinnett had this stuff down to a science.  He had a schedule he used for Bookbub applications, and he was submitting every single book in his catalogue.  He would apply for both free and paid deals, both U.S. and International-only, and the result was that he was applying for some kind of Bookbub deal more-or-less every single day.  The thirty-day waiting period only applies to the same book and the same deal, and Wayne took full advantage of that.

I've never personally done this--I've only ever applied for the full deal, not Int-only, and I've only ever submitted my first-in-series books--but Wayne's system seemed to work for him.  He also did radio/television ads and other oddball marketing things.

Keep in mind that all this was the case years ago, and I have no idea what he does now.  What worked in 2014 might fail in 2022, and vice versa.  But anyway, there you go.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

alhawke

« Reply #506 on: January 09, 2022, 07:38:52 AM »
Thanks for that, Jeff! Seems the more books you have, the more you can play the odds.

The BookBub requirement is officially: "we will not feature the same book more than once every 6 months. Nor will we feature the same author more than once every 30 days." I wonder if it's okay to apply within 30days since the promo? Because, after all, the next promo is usually scheduled 2-4 weeks out. For the moment, I'm not going to push my luck. I'll wait 30 days to apply. Then I'll do the usual and apply, apply, apply after rejections. Grin

JRTomlin

« Reply #507 on: January 09, 2022, 07:40:21 AM »
Yes, it is acceptable and I have done it. On very rare occasion I even got it.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

JRTomlin

« Reply #508 on: January 09, 2022, 07:58:19 AM »
About Wayne Stinnett, I was thinking of him when I made my promotion strategy post a short time ago. I just did a little checking and just going by observation, he is still very active and had several BB promotions in 2021. I suppose if it no longer worked for him that he would stop.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:06:23 AM by JRTomlin »

Marti Talbott

« Reply #509 on: January 09, 2022, 09:14:02 AM »
Very rough numbers for my New Year's Eve international BB are in, and I'm in the black by about $100 so far. Fine with me.

Grin
Wow, that's impressive. I've never done an international. Maybe I should check that out.

By the way, new heater is in, got it right before the latest freeze. Sure makes taking a shower nicer.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, LilyBLily

notthatamanda

« Reply #510 on: January 09, 2022, 09:34:29 AM »
Sorry it wasn't that great for you this time.

I just applied for my Contemporary Romance, 1st in trilogy permafree for US only. Had good results with it in Int'l in the fall.

And they rejected me. Less than 12 hours this time. Wow, that's cold. Glad I have wine left.

JRTomlin

« Reply #511 on: January 09, 2022, 09:39:03 AM »
Sorry to hear that. Better luck next time and enjoy the wine. 😜

LilyBLily

« Reply #512 on: January 09, 2022, 10:19:16 AM »
Keep trying. Stubbornness is a virtue in this situation. grint

notthatamanda

« Reply #513 on: January 10, 2022, 01:24:30 AM »
There's stubbornness and then there's pigheadedness. Since it is fairly easy and costs nothing I will probably continue to apply. Since I can't figure out how to save the links for the books it's good for a few minutes of procrastination. 

Marti Talbott

« Reply #514 on: January 10, 2022, 01:47:45 AM »
There's stubbornness and then there's pigheadedness. Since it is fairly easy and costs nothing I will probably continue to apply. Since I can't figure out how to save the links for the books it's good for a few minutes of procrastination.

What's the problem with the links?

notthatamanda

« Reply #515 on: January 10, 2022, 02:23:58 AM »
For some reason bookbub doesn't save the links on all the platforms for my books so when I apply I have to bring up the book on each individual retailer and cut and paste it in. It's arbitrary, sometimes I have the links for kobo, sometimes I don't, and the same for all the other platforms, except amazon, that's always there. It's not a big deal, it just takes a couple of minutes.

LilyBLily

« Reply #516 on: January 10, 2022, 02:36:58 AM »
For some reason bookbub doesn't save the links on all the platforms for my books so when I apply I have to bring up the book on each individual retailer and cut and paste it in. It's arbitrary, sometimes I have the links for kobo, sometimes I don't, and the same for all the other platforms, except amazon, that's always there. It's not a big deal, it just takes a couple of minutes.

BB claims it doesn't have B&N each time I apply. Seems absurd. I took a screen shot this time to prove I'd put it in. I can't think of any reason why certain ebookstore links simply don't stick.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 02:43:32 AM by LilyBLily »

JRTomlin

« Reply #517 on: January 10, 2022, 02:38:30 AM »
Google never sticks for me. 🤷‍♀️

Marti Talbott

« Reply #518 on: January 10, 2022, 02:41:59 AM »

BB claims it doesn't have B&N each time Is apply. Seems absurd. I took a screen shot this time to prove I'd put it in. I can't think of any reason why certain ebookstore links simply don't stick.

I've never checked on that. I will next time for sure. On the international, do you see many sales in India. My India sales are always discounted on Amazon. Why? Who knows.

LilyBLily

« Reply #519 on: January 10, 2022, 02:45:00 AM »
I assume my closed-door romance stories are too risque for Indian readers. These books have kisses! TMI!

I don't look at the numbers but I know they're teeny tiny.

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott

alhawke

« Reply #520 on: January 10, 2022, 05:10:59 AM »
On the international, do you see many sales in India. My India sales are always discounted on Amazon. Why? Who knows.
I've only sold a couple books in India. That was from a Bookbub two years ago.
I even tried advertising there once--no good for me.

JRTomlin

« Reply #521 on: January 10, 2022, 05:13:08 AM »
There are 'special' rules about royalties for sales in India. I get so few there I've never worried about it, but I *think* it pretty much has to be in KU to receive 70% there.

Crystal

« Reply #522 on: January 10, 2022, 03:37:41 PM »
I don't want to run books at a discount/ free that often, so I only submit for BookBubs on a periodic basis. When I decide it's sale time, I make a list of books to submit. Usually, it's 4 or 5 books with a note to self to re-evaluate if you get there.

But... you can't resubmit until you are rejected, so I don't know how anyone is submitting every day. Or even twice a week. I occasionally get a very fast rejection, but it's usually at least 3-4 days.

Pemry Janes

« Reply #523 on: January 18, 2022, 06:10:41 AM »
I've decided to throw my hat in the ring and put my second book up for an international deal. I have no great hope, but my first book doesn't meet the minimal length requirements.

So I expect a rejection, but you don't know until you try.
Genre: Fantasy

JRTomlin

« Reply #524 on: January 18, 2022, 06:22:15 AM »
I don't want to run books at a discount/ free that often, so I only submit for BookBubs on a periodic basis. When I decide it's sale time, I make a list of books to submit. Usually, it's 4 or 5 books with a note to self to re-evaluate if you get there.

But... you can't resubmit until you are rejected, so I don't know how anyone is submitting every day. Or even twice a week. I occasionally get a very fast rejection, but it's usually at least 3-4 days.
The phrase was 'more or less every single day'. IIRC as soon as one was rejected, he submitted the next on his list which might be the next day or in a couple of days. Since he has a substantial back catalog, he rarely did not have one submitted. He had a policy at the time, and this was some years ago, of submitting in turn his entire catalog, not just book 1 of a series. Although I did notice that he ran a couple of BB promotions last year, I have no idea if he is still doing it the same way.

I still stick with only submitting the first because most of mine really cannot be read out of order. If mine could be read out of order, I would consider doing that way though. It's worth thinking about.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #525 on: January 18, 2022, 08:15:13 AM »
My memory of Wayne's strategy is admittedly hazy (I'm in my forties and declining fast) so just to clear things up a bit, here are some of Wayne's comments about it from 2019:

It has to be in the right order, though. Discounted first, then free. Once it's rejected at free, you have to wait four weeks before submitting that book again. Otherwise, BookBub's submissions would go up 28 times over each day. But you can submit a different book that same day. I have 15 in my main series to choose from, but have never submitted the latest eight books, just the first seven.

Seven books, twice each, with an average two day turnaround for acceptance or rejection is 28 days, then I start over.

The more times you apply, the greater the chance of being selected. BookBub won't feature the same author more than once in a month. I had one on July 21st, so I won't be applying again until August 21st. But from that day forward, BookBub will be considering one of my books every day until they accept one. Every...single...rejection...is immediately followed by a new application.

Since 2014, the only days BookBub isn't considering one of my submissions is during the couple of weeks leading up to a BB Deal. But I do start submitting again the day after the deal, because four weeks out is already on their calendar by then and they won't promote the same author twice in a month. On the day after a BB deal, I'm aiming for that day that just opened up. Lightning never strikes twice? In 2015, I had five BookBub deals from December 31 to May 28, averaging 4.2 weeks apart for 21 weeks. And I own a sailboat. So, I know for certain, that the double strike is possible.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

JRTomlin

« Reply #526 on: January 18, 2022, 08:54:05 AM »
Thanks for finding those. That is not for everyone. It wouldn't work for me. But for people with a series in which the books don't have to be read in order, it is something to think about.

LilyBLily

« Reply #527 on: January 18, 2022, 10:31:28 AM »
Thanks for finding those. That is not for everyone. It wouldn't work for me. But for people with a series in which the books don't have to be read in order, it is something to think about.

The one book of his that I read--or attempted to read, because I don't think I finished it--seemed to have a lot of returning characters and backstory on them. It wasn't the first in the first series but it might have been the first in the second series--which nevertheless clearly felt like coming in to the movie theater halfway into the show. (Something no one does anymore, right? I did it often as a kid.)

JRTomlin

« Reply #528 on: January 18, 2022, 10:41:43 AM »
That may be why he said that he only submitted the first seven books in his series. They might be less dependent on knowing previous plots. I've read one of his novels, but to tell you the truth, I don't remember a thing about it. (I'm older than Jeff so ...)

A lot of mystery and romance series don't depend on knowing much about returning characters. How many people that would work for, I honestly don't know. But I wish I thought that constantly keeping a novel submitted to Bookbub would work for me.

idontknowyet

« Reply #529 on: January 18, 2022, 11:29:41 AM »
Is it usually good that you haven't heard from bookbub right away?I submitted towards the end of last week and its still radio silence.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #530 on: January 18, 2022, 11:43:26 AM »
Is it usually good that you haven't heard from bookbub right away?I submitted towards the end of last week and its still radio silence.

I consider it a good sign.  It means your book is still in the running for a slot.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

alhawke

« Reply #531 on: January 18, 2022, 02:57:23 PM »
I've gotten an acceptance after a day, but the majority after 5-7 days. But I'm not convinced there's a set pattern.
Good luck!

notthatamanda

« Reply #532 on: January 19, 2022, 07:28:06 AM »

I consider it a good sign.  It means your book is still in the running for a slot.
Yes, once you are rejected, you are rejected. So you still have a chance. Good luck, idontknowyet.

LilyBLily

« Reply #533 on: January 19, 2022, 11:35:35 AM »
Good luck!

idontknowyet

« Reply #534 on: January 19, 2022, 01:05:01 PM »
Still no word!

Pemry Janes

« Reply #535 on: January 19, 2022, 04:59:54 PM »
Still no word!
I'm crossing my fingers for you.

In my own news, I haven't heard back yet either so I guess I actually have some chance.

idontknowyet

« Reply #536 on: January 20, 2022, 03:19:47 AM »
Still no word!
I'm crossing my fingers for you.

In my own news, I haven't heard back yet either so I guess I actually have some chance.
I hope we both get it!!!!!!

Pemry Janes

« Reply #537 on: January 20, 2022, 03:36:10 AM »
I hope we both get it!!!!!!
Alas, just got the mail rejecting my submission.

I think I'll try again in a couple of months.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #538 on: January 20, 2022, 04:08:01 AM »
Just got my latest rejection as well. It's now been 2yrs since BB gave me a featured deal.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Pemry Janes

LilyBLily

« Reply #539 on: January 20, 2022, 04:58:27 AM »
Sorry you didn't make it. Some of the latest books BB is touting look like absolute dogs, too.

I still haven't sent in a new submission. I don't enjoy getting rejected at the best of times and January is never the best of times.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, Gerri Attrick, Pemry Janes

idontknowyet

« Reply #540 on: January 21, 2022, 10:26:31 AM »
Youre all going to be shocked, but bookbub said no.

LilyBLily

« Reply #541 on: January 21, 2022, 10:53:43 AM »
You're all going to be shocked, but bookbub said no.

Rats!   :Down:

Pemry Janes

« Reply #542 on: January 21, 2022, 06:29:32 PM »
Damn, I thought you would get it.

notthatamanda

« Reply #543 on: January 21, 2022, 10:00:09 PM »
Welcome to the club. Better luck next time.  :icon_cry:

idontknowyet

« Reply #544 on: January 22, 2022, 04:54:02 AM »
Damn, I thought you would get it.
We were soo close. Next time!

OR in my case 80x after that I might get a go.

The following users thanked this post: Pemry Janes

JRTomlin

« Reply #545 on: January 23, 2022, 05:07:06 PM »
Bleck. Got turned down for a BB New Release for Less promo.

lgtwriter

« Reply #546 on: February 04, 2022, 05:02:38 AM »
I'm in the middle of the week on a Bookbub International Only featured deal. I think I will have broken even by the end of the week, but my Bookbub New Releases for Less that I did in November did better. But of course, that had the US in it.

Literary Fiction, and I have sold about 150 copies give or take at .99. Since a lot of them are in the UK, I at least get $1.34 Us dollars. What kills, royalty wise, is the 35% royalty since I didn't have an Amazon deal I could stack this with.

Upside: Canadian and Australian readers now that I can market to.
Dowside: I am not making any money lol

JRTomlin

« Reply #547 on: February 04, 2022, 05:36:59 AM »
I made the mistake of at least mentally counting on a New Release for Less promo and am struggling to figure out how to make up for it. The fact is even stacking, no one comes close to the 1,530,000+ reach BB has for historical fiction readers. 🤦‍♀️🙄

I'll do my best with some smaller promos and with BB ads to comp authors. It has taken a huge amount of testing but I finally have a reasonably long list of decent comps. (And bb ads really depend on having the right comp authors IMO) But re-testing my comps and testing a few new ones, I just spent $200 for 568 clicks. Since none of my other promos for that have kicked in yet, then I can account for the 400ish downloads across my platforms to those ads. Meh. Best I can say is so-so.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 05:47:40 AM by JRTomlin »

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #548 on: February 04, 2022, 09:03:53 AM »
I don't even apply to BookBub anymore.  I'm just using Fussy Librarian and writing more books.  :dog1:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

LilyBLily

« Reply #549 on: March 17, 2022, 11:45:27 AM »
I finally submitted a title again for a featured deal. We'll see what happens!