Author Topic: What do you think of my new audiobook promotion idea?  (Read 970 times)

The Bass Bagwhan

What do you think of my new audiobook promotion idea?
« on: June 01, 2021, 12:50:51 PM »
I've come up with a simple idea to promote and sell my audiobooks. I think the strength of the idea comes in that simplicity. On the other hand, I'm wondering if I'm missing a blatant problem with the concept, it's that simple.
I'd appreciate anyone taking a quick look at the website page and letting me know your opinions and any feedback. Yes, at this point the slightly niche genre is restrictive, but I've got plans for that too.
If anybody's interested in knowing more detail how I've done this, maybe to do it themselves, I'm happy to share.

The webpage is here  http://graemehague.com.au/the-best-audiobooks-deal-ever/

Cheers, Graeme.

notthatamanda

Re: What do you think of my new audiobook promotion idea?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2021, 08:41:29 PM »
If you are missing a problem, it is visibility. It could work, but only if people could find your site. The site looks slick, BTW. I don't know if people will like to get the book in two pieces. Could be inconvenient.

Are you planning on selling other author's author's audio books too?

alhawke

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 01:29:21 AM »
Nice website  :) I spent hours this weekend on mine and the design still feels rickety.

As far as the audio idea, I think it'd work better if you have your story in short parts if you're gonna do that. Then you can release it like the Vella idea, but audio, and hook people in that way. Otherwise it just seems like a large sample. On the other hand, you might be able to market 1/2s favorably with cost, perhaps charging less for the first half??

I dunno. Just brainstorming my opinion here.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 01:33:26 AM »
Check the second line. I think you might be missing a word.

The Bass Bagwhan

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 09:38:31 AM »
If you are missing a problem, it is visibility. It could work, but only if people could find your site. The site looks slick, BTW. I don't know if people will like to get the book in two pieces. Could be inconvenient.

Are you planning on selling other author's author's audio books too?

Hi Amanda, yes ... the dreaded visibility. I'm planning on throwing some money at advertising, possibly Facebook, and I'm tempted by Reddit's advertising because you can target (I think) certain subreddits and define your audience well. I'll likely prepare a few of my non-horror books for balance first.
I can't imagine selling other author's books like this. I haven't got the wherewithall to keep track of the sales, accounts, taxes, etc.
The primary idea is that hopefully, if someone listens to half a book for free, it would be near-impossible to resist finding out the ending by buying Part Two. And the free first half is aimed at satisfying people who've used their subscription token ... it's all a bit sneaky, in some ways!

Nice website  :) I spent hours this weekend on mine and the design still feels rickety.

As far as the audio idea, I think it'd work better if you have your story in short parts if you're gonna do that. Then you can release it like the Vella idea, but audio, and hook people in that way. Otherwise it just seems like a large sample. On the other hand, you might be able to market 1/2s favorably with cost, perhaps charging less for the first half??

I dunno. Just brainstorming my opinion here.

For a while, it looked like I couldn't host the free Part One on my website and I was thinking of selling P1 instead at a nominal 0.99 so I could use Payhip for that too, but I wasn't keen because I've already devalued the book enough already and I didn't want to associate it with any 0.99 price tag. Then I learned a "back door" means of using my website (cPanel/File Manager) and it all worked.
Interesting suggestion, but I can see creating multiple parts for existing audiobooks being a bit painful, and nothing's longer than 6 hours total anyway ... but maybe not for a future production. I could possibly serialise my 140-160K books in 0.99c 1-hour chunks. That would make the actual narration/production much less onerous, aiming for perhaps 1 hour's narration a week (as I type this, the more I like it!) rather than staring ahead at 60-70 hours of recording to get done.
Websites ... so time-consuming. I often wonder about changing the theme to freshen the "look", but with few themes that have all the same coding, you never know what's going to go pear-shaped!

Check the second line. I think you might be missing a word.

Oops! Thanks. Good thing I'm professional editor and proofreader! grint grint grint

Cheers everyone