Author Topic: Help me understand Bookfunnel  (Read 2893 times)

Lysmata Debelius

Help me understand Bookfunnel
« on: September 28, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »
I've read through the FAQ on the bookfunnel site and there are still some things I'm not sure about.

Does the cheapest plan include the ability to send books directly to a readers ereader device? On the pricing page, the cheapest option doesn't have a tick mark under "gift books individualy to readers by email" or does that mean something else? https://bookfunnel.com/pricing/

So let's say I set up a give-away for people who sign up for my mailing list. They click on my sign up link, and they're sent a mail that includes the link to the bookfunnel landing page for the book I'm giving away.

What exactly happens when a reader clicks that "get the book" button? Do they have that page loaded on their ereader in order for this process to work? What happens if they are on a desktop computer or their phone?

Simon Haynes

Re: Help me understand Bookfunnel
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2018, 09:19:09 PM »
The idea is that your prospective reader selects their device, and then it explains step-by-step how to side-load the book. If they get stuck they can email bookfunnel customer support, who will apparently help them. (This, instead of emailing you direct)

If you want to try it out, here's one of mine: https://dl.bookfunnel.com/m6igie0emh

(That one doesn't require an email address or a newsletter signup, so you can explore the various options.)

PS Pushing my books on fellow authors is NOT a part of my marketing plan. However, if posting the link here is considered advertising, it's not intended to be and I'm happy to remove it.

The following users thanked this post: DrewMcGunn, Lysmata Debelius

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2018, 09:24:50 PM »
Excellent! Perfect that was exactly what I needed, and the link to your landing page helped me understand. Basically, you're guided through a set of screens on which you get to choose what your device is, and then they give you step by steps on how to get it onto that device.

(I wanted to give you a bunch of flowers-smiley, but then I see it comes with a kiss and that's probably just a bit too familiar! :)  )

Simon Haynes

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2018, 09:40:55 PM »
Excellent! Perfect that was exactly what I needed, and the link to your landing page helped me understand. Basically, you're guided through a set of screens on which you get to choose what your device is, and then they give you step by steps on how to get it onto that device.

(I wanted to give you a bunch of flowers-smiley, but then I see it comes with a kiss and that's probably just a bit too familiar! :)  )

That's okay, accepted in the spirit it was intended ;-)

Denise

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2018, 10:46:54 PM »

Does the cheapest plan include the ability to send books directly to a readers ereader device? On the pricing page, the cheapest option doesn't have a tick mark under "gift books individualy to readers by email" or does that mean something else? https://bookfunnel.com/pricing/

The higher-priced plan includes the option of sending an email directly from Bookfunnel with the book link. This is good for ARCS. You can see when they downloaded, and I think that the ebook copy is identified. This is not necessary if all you're doing is giving books for people who sign up for your mailing list.

In any plan you can send links to a download page.

That said, I'd suggest a higher plan, preferably with mailing list integration, to allow you to participate in group promos. They've been working very well lately. I tend to get an average of 5 subscribers a day from the promos.

The following users thanked this post: Lysmata Debelius

Simon Haynes

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2018, 11:10:25 PM »
That said, I'd suggest a higher plan, preferably with mailing list integration, to allow you to participate in group promos. They've been working very well lately. I tend to get an average of 5 subscribers a day from the promos.

I agree with that - I use the secure mail option to send out ARCs, and the mailing list integration is great because you can put people from different landing pages for the same book into different groups.

E.g. when I advertise on Facebook, I use a signup page, and in Mailerlite I can see how many clicks on the ad converted into new ML subscribers.

Can't remember the name of the plan I went for, but it was Midlist plus something.

Okay, just looked it up:  Mid-List Author with Integrations Annual

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2018, 05:12:32 PM »
Thanks, Denise. That's good information. I'm in a bit of a bind though, as with the exchange rate anything in dollars is about fourteen times our currency, so I'm limited what services I can pay for. I think I can manage the cheapest option, and it sounds as though that will be enough to be going on with for the moment. :)

JRTomlin

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 06:48:36 AM »
Mailing list integration simplifies things so much! Well worth the extra cost although I found myself baffled in setting it up on the mailchimp side, so I paid someone to do it for me.

NathanBurrows

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 07:22:18 AM »
Mailing list integration simplifies things so much! Well worth the extra cost although I found myself baffled in setting it up on the mailchimp side, so I paid someone to do it for me.

I used Mailerlite, and it was pretty straightforward. I do think the paid version is useful for mailing list integration if you're running a promo - if you're not then I'm not convinced it is. Personally, I'm happy to pay for the mid-list plan because I like the service and I'm want to support it (but am fortunate in that I'm in a position where I can). There's a few more steps for the basic version, but the functionality is all there on the first-time author plan.

RPatton

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 07:29:21 AM »
Something that no one is mentioning here, that should be shouted from the rooftops. BookFunnel doesn't gather addresses for themselves. It's a service for authors and they charge authors for the service. They don't monetize people you promote to by gathering the emails addresses for themselves.

I love it. Whenever I have a gift for my newsletter, I drop it on BF, send them a link and don't worry about anything. BF takes care of all the technical questions for me.

JRTomlin

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 07:30:50 AM »
*shrug* No one is going to pay me to convince to use the paid version. Even in months when I am not running a promo, I get enough email signups every week that having to do it without integration would be a hassle. But no doubt that varies a lot depending on various factors.

My experience is that it is worth the cost. For someone who cannot afford the paid version, you could manage but it would be more work on your end.

ETA: And yes, the point of integration is to have someone else whether Mailchimp or Mailerlite gather the email addresses for your newsletter. They do not do that.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2018, 07:32:53 AM by JRTomlin »