Author Topic: Booksprout 2.0 coming  (Read 3241 times)

alhawke

Booksprout 2.0 coming
« on: February 03, 2022, 06:49:10 AM »
Booksprout has done very well for me over the past few years for ARCs. They just sent me a newsletter stating that "2.0"'s coming for review campaigns. It means that a book can be publicly broadcasted for reviews more than a single time (previously you could only publicly run a book once on Booksprout).

This could be good or bad. It's good if you want to seek more reviews, it's bad if it clogs the books available. My hope is that these books are run as a separate campaign from the ARCs to still distinguish the ARCs. Already, as it is, I find that most takers of my books are within the first day of posting. The competition is really fierce.

Anyway, just posting for your information.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, djmills

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Booksprout 2.0 coming
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2022, 11:14:51 AM »
Is that shooting yourself in the foot for first days sales, or are these all people who'd never buy you books anyway?

If the latter, are those reviews worth anything since they wouldn't normally read you?
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

idontknowyet

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2022, 11:42:09 AM »
for little guys any reviews are good reviews.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2022, 11:52:55 AM »
for little guys any reviews are good reviews.

Why? They make very little difference to anything except the ability to get certain promos.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

writeway

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2022, 11:59:33 AM »
I'm happy about it only because my biggest complaint was you couldn't get reviews on a book more than once. Now you can. I use Booksprout with every release and though it's not perfect, I do get good reviews from there though not many. Once this new version comes along I will upload a bunch of my backlist books for reviews. I just hope these new features will be available for people on the free account. That's what I use. I'll email and ask. But yeah, I like the change.

idontknowyet

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2022, 01:02:11 PM »
sales are extremely hard to get without some social proof aka reviews. people are hesitant to buy your book without any

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2022, 01:32:28 PM »
sales are extremely hard to get without some social proof aka reviews. people are hesitant to buy your book without any

I don't think that's true.

Book 1s suffer from not finished trilogy syndrome.

Stand alones are always difficult without a decent launch.

What sells a book is visibility. With the visibility, the reviews or lack of them is pretty much irrelevant. Without the visibility, even 100s of reviews won't sell the book.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule, PJ Post

idontknowyet

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2022, 01:44:16 PM »
I agree visibility is essential too. But its going to cost way more to get a single sale with no reviews than it will with even one or 2

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2022, 01:48:06 PM »
I agree visibility is essential too. But its going to cost way more to get a single sale with no reviews than it will with even one or 2

How so?

idontknowyet

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2022, 02:39:34 PM »
thats been my experience
 no reviews no sales even with ads
after tossing money for ads and wasting i stopped until i got some reviews. the only way to avoid that is do a free/99cent sale

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 02:50:33 PM »
thats been my experience
 no reviews no sales even with ads
after tossing money for ads and wasting i stopped until i got some reviews. the only way to avoid that is do a free/99cent sale

Are these stand alone books or series?

Can you send me the url for the last one?

I have to wonder if there are other reasons for not selling with ads, that has nothing to do with reviews.

idontknowyet

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 02:52:59 PM »
all my books are selling now.

i have reveiws on all the first in series.
but when i first released my boxed sets i tried ads on them without reviews they went no where.
used the same blurb as on my single book which was selling well

i should revise that all i have ads on are selling. i'm not putting money on incomplete series. that doesnt work for me either

« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 03:02:39 PM by idontknowyet »

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 03:30:03 PM »
but when i first released my boxed sets i tried ads on them without reviews they went no where.

That sounds normal to me.

I stopped doing them, and unpublished the 2 I did.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

alhawke

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 04:59:05 PM »
Is that shooting yourself in the foot for first days sales, or are these all people who'd never buy you books anyway?
If the latter, are those reviews worth anything since they wouldn't normally read you?
Well, I shoot myself in the foot quite often with marketing. But I find that many of these reviewers, like Vine Reviewers, primarily read books only for reviews. They're obsessed with reading and read and review many books per week. I don't think I'm losing a lot of sales from them.

I do well with promotions for book launches because they move rank. That helps with visibility. The best way to be successful with a launch promotion is to have four or five reviews at the start--ten is even better. I know we have a disagreement here, Timothy, but I'm in the camp that's pro ARCs. My strategy would be different if I had a large series like you. Then I could see not worrying about it with the following you've developed.

I'm actually a bit skeptical about needing this new feature in the Booksprout 2 service because I find that an established book can get loads of reviews from a free or really good 99c promotion. But I do believe in ARC reviews for a launch. I've benefited a lot from Booksprout in the past with them.

The following users thanked this post: Jackie

Hopscotch

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2022, 01:18:36 AM »
I agree w/Tim - I don't see reviews as having much if any impact on my admittedly laughable daily sales.  Nor do I use reviews to choose fiction to buy.  When a negative review has no more impact (if any) on sales than a positive review, I assume readers decide based on the Read Ahead, as I do. 
. .

writeway

« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2022, 02:10:04 AM »
I agree with those who feel reviews don't equal sales or not having reviews doesn't mean the book won't sell. In over 20 years of writing professionally, I've seen NO evidence that having a bunch of reviews helps sales if no one wants to read the book. You can have 1,000 ARC reviews but if the book isn't hitting the audience or isn't compelling, the majority won't be interested.  Many readers are like I am, if they want to read a book, they will read it regardless of no reviews or even bad reviews. In fact, a bad review can often get your book more buyers than even a good one. Sometimes readers get curious after a bad review and wanna see if the book is as bad as the reviewer(s) claim. If you look at Amazon, you will see many books with a lot of reviews that aren't selling and it's because all they did was get some ARC reviews. Anyone can get some reviews. Has nothing to do with whether or not your book is selling.

If you are writing the type of books people are hungry for and your branding and product is on point, no one will care about a review. I use Booksprout because I like to have "some" reviews just for myself. But it has nothing to do with sales. It's just I prefer not to have a brand new book sitting up without at least a few reviews. And some of it is ego with my backlist books. I got some books that are near 100 reviews and my goal for those books are to get to 100 reviews. One has 98 reviews and one has been sitting at 99 for months. So that is just a personal challenge I have for myself. I do have a book that's already way over 100 reviews, but yeah, I want to get to 100 on the others too. It is hard to get reviews organically these days so even if you want just a few most likely you will need your own review team or some other way of getting reviews. If you depend on the random readers for reviews you'll never have any.

Also, some authors chase reviews because there are certain promotional sites they want to use that require a certain amount of reviews. Not Bookbub (that's a myth about reviews having any merit on Bookbub's decision. I have tons of Bookbubs and one book had only 9 reviews.) But there are other sites that want you to have a certain amount of reviews and ratings. So mostly when you see authors chasing reviews it's not for sales, it's for some type of promotion. Also, some authors like to have a lot of reviews because they feel it gets word of mouth going. Reviews CAN of course help sell books but just because you don't have any reviews or a few does not mean your book won't sell.

Years ago, someone made up the myth that having a certain amount of reviews makes Amazon's algorithms kick in. Not true. The only thing a lot of reviews will get you for sure on Amazon is being on The Most Reviewed List, that's cool because it gives you some visibility but not having reviews doesn't mean the book won't sell.

There are usually many other reasons why a book doesn't sell.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2022, 02:21:41 AM by writeway »

Anarchist

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2022, 04:04:44 AM »
All other variables being equal...

A book with positive reviews will sell better than a book with zero reviews. A book with many positive reviews will sell better than a book with a few positive reviews. The greater the competition, the truer this becomes. (Though there is a level at which the impact decreases.)

This is important because A9 rewards sales velocity.

Research shows the degree of influence of reviews (and ratings) on purchasing decisions varies between age groups (and likely a host of socioeconomic factors). But the argument that reviews have no influence is a nonstarter.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, PaulineMRoss, Jackie, Writer

j tanner

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2022, 05:29:04 AM »
...not having reviews doesn't mean the book won't sell.

I don't think anyone is presenting it in such binary terms.

Having no reviews stifles sales conversion to some extent, which means CPC ads (if you're using them) cost more. Even a few reviews causes a noticeable impact on this.

I'm seeing it right now on a standalone. It took some promo to generate the first few reviews, and it's made a difference. That doesn't mean no sales before and rolling in money now. It means one less hurdle.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, Jackie, Writer

writeway

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2022, 07:22:34 AM »
Well, I won't be using the new Booksprout after all. You now have to pay. There really is no free plan even though they claim it is. It's not worth it for me to pay. I only got a tiny bit of reviews anyway and whenever I did upgrade to the paid subscriptions I had less reviews than the free plan. I just hate it when companies start out with a free option and then phase it out. And some might think the amounts aren't that much but when you are paying other stuff, then a cost for Booksprout adds up. I'm already ditching BookFunnel because I no longer find it useful. The thing I liked about Booksprout the most was that it was free.  Grin It was the only reason I kept using it.

idontknowyet

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2022, 03:29:22 PM »
Well, I won't be using the new Booksprout after all. You now have to pay. There really is no free plan even though they claim it is. It's not worth it for me to pay. I only got a tiny bit of reviews anyway and whenever I did upgrade to the paid subscriptions I had less reviews than the free plan. I just hate it when companies start out with a free option and then phase it out. And some might think the amounts aren't that much but when you are paying other stuff, then a cost for Booksprout adds up. I'm already ditching BookFunnel because I no longer find it useful. The thing I liked about Booksprout the most was that it was free.  Grin It was the only reason I kept using it.

Really? Why aren't you liking bookfunnel?

The following users thanked this post: Sailor Stone

writeway

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2022, 04:35:51 AM »

Really? Why aren't you liking bookfunnel?

Well, after being on it for about 4 years I've seen a steady decline in participation in promos and the effectiveness in promos. I run promos and I also join them but I notice subscribers don't click on these promos as much as they used to, which tells me some readers at least on my ML are not that interested in them anymore. I also hear that from other authors. One of my main issues is I am so sick of authors joining my promos and not doing their part. I notice it more and more. It's gotten really bad in the last year. Some don't even try to share the promo. I did a promo during Christmas with over 100 authors and over half didn't share the promo so that was about 60 who didn't do their part. They just freeloaded off others. And, I've noticed this going on with other promos I've run lately. I'm running two now and you got folks just sitting there and I'm tired of it. I think it's terrible when people join these promos and don't care to share at least once. I got fed up. Also, not sure the sales promos are doing much these days and I am no longer interested in the newsletter builders. At first, I loved BF but now I see it as an extra cost that I can put somewhere else. From my understanding, I can deactivate up to a year and then come back if I want so we'll see. But I think BF has gone down the road of many services once they are around a long time, they are no longer as effective as they once were. At least for some. I also find their new swap option useless. Let's not get started on the issues with that. And that was a feature I'd wanted them to get for so long because I used to use StoryOrigin's swap feature before they went to paid.

The best thing about BF now is the way you can send files to your readers but I can do that using StoryOrigin's free plan.

The following users thanked this post: Sailor Stone

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2022, 05:29:43 AM »
I like BookFunnel, but I use it to deliver my books sold through PayHip.

As for the promos, other authors have complained about the same thing, but I don't think it's ONLY lack of sharing.  A lot of readers have huge TBR piles...and so many BF promos are for free books, it's difficult to get much traction with paid.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

alhawke

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2022, 07:38:44 AM »
Well, I won't be using the new Booksprout after all. You now have to pay.
I just saw their pricing. This is a real bummer.

I actually had the opposite experience as you, Writeway, with more reviewers with their paid plan, as expected. But is it worth it now? The trouble with all these services that are no longer free is that a monthly payment gets very pricey by the end of a year. $10 per month might look good for a month, but is $120 a year. Bookfunnel is still worth it to me because I run a lot of promos through them and gift all my books through their services. But I haven't used StoryOrigin since they became paid. Now I have to think about Booksprout.

Interesting how we're expected to pay more through outside promo and author building services while publishing in a market with less book sales. Similar to StoryOrigin, which I actually liked a lot, I have to really consider the cost with Booksprout now.

Pemry Janes

« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2022, 06:55:34 PM »
I've tried to use Booksprout but didn't get any results out of it. If I have to pay for it, I'll give it a pass.
Genre: Fantasy

LilyBLily

« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2022, 12:30:00 AM »
Same here.

Marti Talbott

« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2022, 08:18:58 AM »

I agree with this. When they see 600-1000 reviews, they think it might be an okay book.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

Marti Talbott

« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2022, 08:20:56 AM »
Well, I won't be using the new Booksprout after all. You now have to pay.
I just saw their pricing. This is a real bummer.

I actually had the opposite experience as you, Writeway, with more reviewers with their paid plan, as expected. But is it worth it now? The trouble with all these services that are no longer free is that a monthly payment gets very pricey by the end of a year. $10 per month might look good for a month, but is $120 a year. Bookfunnel is still worth it to me because I run a lot of promos through them and gift all my books through their services. But I haven't used StoryOrigin since they became paid. Now I have to think about Booksprout.

Interesting how we're expected to pay more through outside promo and author building services while publishing in a market with less book sales. Similar to StoryOrigin, which I actually liked a lot, I have to really consider the cost with Booksprout now.

I thought it was against Amazon's rules to pay for reviews.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

alhawke

« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2022, 09:41:57 AM »
I thought it was against Amazon's rules to pay for reviews.
Booksprout does not pay for reviews. It's a service that finds readers who are willing to post reviews after reading your book. If you pay for a more expensive plan, it advertises your book as featured and is made more available publicly for review (that's what I meant by paid). A review is never guaranteed. A free book as an ARC is all acceptable within Amazon's TOS.

Edit} I should add, reviews can post reviews anywhere from 1-5 stars; you're not joining a service for 5 stars.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2022, 09:50:03 AM by alhawke »

The following users thanked this post: Marti Talbott

writeway

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2022, 06:09:31 PM »
Judging from all the complaints from authors and readers on Facebook, a lot are having tons of issues with the new Booksprout. Seems to me they didn't do a good job of getting all the kinks out before releasing it. And of course many aren't happy they ditched the free plan. I wasn't about to pay for it because it wasn't great to begin with. But people are complaining about getting even less reviews than before when they weren't paying. The owner pops in and out of the groups but whenever it starts to get a little hot (when folks ask questions he doesn't like or have complaints) he suddenly gets busy. He was in the Wide for the Win group then suddenly when some of the comments mentioned issues and things people didn't like, he had to leave. He pulled that same thing before in another group when people take him to task. If you are running a business, you need to be able to handle complaints because they're valid. Especially now that everyone is paying for the service.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, angela, alhawke

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2022, 02:22:30 AM »
I have the paid account at Booksprout, and while it seemed promising at first, it seems like the followers from my pen names didn't get notified about new books. And I had a reader report the app wasn't working.

Now, it could be a problem with the system, or it could be from the change they made to letting authors list "forever" books -- they may have flooded the system with books.

alhawke

« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2022, 03:54:38 AM »
Now, it could be a problem with the system, or it could be from the change they made to letting authors list "forever" books -- they may have flooded the system with books.
As much as I initially really liked this idea, I'm beginning to think it's gonna not only flood the system, but make the system let legitimate to readers looking for new material. If you have enough money, it'd seem you can just leave books up for review forever. Did they separate out a section for new releases from old? That would be helpful.

I continue to watch. I haven't renewed my membership yet.

skeletor

« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2023, 01:57:18 PM »
It's been over a year since this thread was last active. Any new takes on Booksprout? I'm eyeing their $30/month package to help me launch a new pen name in a new genre.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2023, 11:28:38 PM »
I should do a better job of looking at dates before I start reading. I didn't realize this was a necro thread until I got to the end.  :icon_cry:

As long as I'm here, I'll weigh in on the review issue.

Sales are complicated. There are a wide variety of factors that contribute to sales, and we don't have enough data to really determine how those factors interact and which are more important.

I've bought a fair number of new releases without reviews. But if I see a book that's been out a long time without reviews, it does make me question the book's quality. Knowing that reviews of creative products are inherently subjective, I'm not necessarily swayed a lot by the nature of the reviews, though if there are a lot of negative ones I'm slower to buy.

Looking at my books, the top sellers tend to be the ones with the most reviews, though that could be a chicken-and-egg situation. I have noticed sales slow on books with few reviews when a negative one pops up. And on what was in general my best launch ever, the book's first review was a one-star, and sales immediately tanked. Other reviews came in, all positive, and sales rose again. These experiences lead me to believe that reviews do indeed influence buying decisions, though they are far from being the only factor. And remember, Amazon lets people filter searches by star ratings, meaning users can essentially make your book become invisible, no matter what its rank, if it has an average lower than four-star and the users are searching for four-star or higher.

On Bookfunnel, I think sales depend on how often you do sales promos on the same book. The audience doesn't necessarily grow fast enough for you to keep getting sales on the same book, particularly if a lot of the same authors are in your promo pool each time. But a new first-in-series release or standalone release still does reasonably well for me on BF. Newsletter signup promos are better each time I do a new reader magnet. (The last time I did that, sign-ups quadrupled from the previous month and remained high for a while.) But when I keep offering the same reader magnet, activity gradually dies down.

With regard to sponsoring BF promos, I'm doing that for the first time this month, so we'll see. Given the fact that we can see author's promo averages when they sign up, how long are those freeloaders really going to last? It seems as if they'd get into fewer and fewer promos over time. And although I might not kick people out on my first time, I know some authors kick people out who don't share and won't take them in future promos. Non-sharing seems like a problem in our power to correct.

With regard to Bookbub, yeah, BB does occasionally take books with few Amazon reviews. But at one point, when I was doing research, I looked at several newsletters in a row. Books with very few reviews were decidedly in the minority in the newsletters I checked. Diving deeper, I found that the books almost all had something unusual going for them. They often had reviews places other than Amazon. (One, for example, had over 1000 five-star reviews on GR.) Some had atypically large number of reviews on some of the other outlets. Some had high rank even before the BB. Back when I was looking, some of them were from USA Today bestselling authors. In other words, large number of Amazon reviews or not, I couldn't find many that weren't atypical in some ways.   

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: skeletor

alhawke

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2023, 12:39:54 AM »
It's been over a year since this thread was last active. Any new takes on Booksprout? I'm eyeing their $30/month package to help me launch a new pen name in a new genre.
You don't have to pay $30 to get mileage from Booksprout. Usually $9 plan will suffice. It's rare that you'll get more than 20 people interesting in reading your book. I've ran over 10 campaigns, have a following there, and still usually only land around 10-15 takers. But my genre is paranormal romance/fantasy. It's possible that if you write romance, you could have many more readers.

Since I started this thread, I've ran a number of old books there too. Their new releases, of course, garner the most. But the other service is still useful if you haven't put your book up there in a while. After a year, I haven't found any disadvantage to their new plan at all.

Even with Booksprout, I still seek other review sites with new releases--depending on the type of book I'm promoting. Also take a look at Vibe Reviews and Authors AXP.
With regard to Bookbub, yeah, BB does occasionally take books with few Amazon reviews. But at one point, when I was doing research, I looked at several newsletters in a row.
I had a new book with only 4 reviews accepted by BookBub. But it was in the smaller LGBTQ sci fi category. For larger categories like sci-fi and fantasy, I'd shoot for >20 (review/rating) (which is where I've landed these) but it's ultimately all up to their editors.

The following users thanked this post: skeletor

LilyBLily

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2023, 04:07:21 AM »
If a title has few reviews, I usually give it a pass. Sad to say, many of my own books have few reviews. I'm thinking about doing a review blast. Who else reviews books aside from:

Booksprout
Story Origin
Hidden Gems
Net Galley
Book Sirens

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2023, 09:07:13 AM »
There used to be more, but the others I was familiar with have all died out. Those are the only ones I know of.

Hidden Gems is great but has a waiting list of several months, so it might work for what you're thinking about, but it wouldn't be good for someone trying to coordinate with a new release unless they could get ARCs out months in advance and then wait.

Book Sirens was also quite responsive and is much faster, at least for now.

Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily

alhawke

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2023, 02:27:02 AM »

Who else reviews books aside from:
Booksprout
Story Origin
Hidden Gems
Net Galley
Book Sirens
Also recommend:
Vibe Reviews
AuthorsAXP
Voracious Readers

Some more I know of, but can't vouch for:
Reading Deals
Ebookdiscovery
Choosy Bookworm

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2023, 02:37:37 AM »
I've used Choosy Bookworm, but not for so time. However, from looking at the page, the process seems to be similar.

CB is the only one I know of that sends you a list of reviewers who want a copy of the book you submitted and has you communicate with them directly and send them copies. To me, one of the virtues of review services is that they remove the direct-contact element (unlike running your own ARC team), which helps ensure a lack of bias. On the other hand, CB sees the direct contact as a way of gaining new fans, the theory being that, if the reviewers really like the book, they can reach out to join your mailing list, etc. I did get some fans that way.

As I recall, when I first used CB, I got a substantial number of reviews. The last time I used them, the total was much lower. I'm not sure how much the numbers may have changed, as I last worked with them a fairly long time ago.

I did notice CB says identifies romance as a genre with a much faster turnover and fantasy (my genre) as one of the slower turnover ones. This may indicate that they have far more potential reviewers from the fast genres than the slow ones. That might also be a rough indicator of how many reviews to expect.

writeway

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2023, 07:13:23 AM »
If you can spend around $150 then you can book a Book Spotlight with Itsy Bitsy Book Bits. I use them for bigger releases. It's a promo company and Colleen (the owner) has her own in-house review team. I usually get around 50 reviews at least. You can also try DS Promotions where Laney (the owner) also has her own review team. Both offer promo with the review option.

If you are in KU then you can run a free promo and blast it. I get about 5-10 reviews on average when I do a free promo.

The following users thanked this post: LilyBLily, alhawke

alhawke

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2023, 12:24:13 AM »
If you can spend around $150 then you can book a Book Spotlight with Itsy Bitsy Book Bits.
That is pricey. I like Hidden Gems, Booksprout, AXP and Vibes cause they'll run around $20 total each (sometimes free with Vibes). Even Hidden Gems which claims potential hundreds of dollars charge only really charges $20 if you land less than 20 reviews--I rarely get any more with my genre.

Tell me more about Its Bitsy Book Bits. Are they decent honest reviews, Writeway? Some of these companies land you 1 sentence reviews or just a star rankings, which is fairly useless.

It's not an author exchange group, right? Those get fairly murky regarding Amazon TOS and honesty.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2023, 06:17:38 AM »
They're not so much murky as actually prohibited.

Writeway would know better, but a quick look at IBBS suggests it has a regular ARC team, not an author exchange. There's no language even hinting at such a thing.

If you can get 50-ish honest, good-quality reviews, $150 is probably not too much to ask. Services are naturally cheaper if you get a smaller number of requests, as I often do. If I'm understanding Writeway correctly, the $150 is for the whole promotion, not just the attached review service. But I'm not sure how much reach the various promotional strategies mentioned have.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

She-la-te-da

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2023, 11:41:40 PM »
My stuff that sells (the old erotica and the newer "steamy" stuff in another genre, sell, and no reviews. I get books all the time with no reviews, if I like the premise and it looks to be decently written. I don't look at any review above a three. Maybe I'm weird, but I learned early on in my life that people buy reviews and they aren't to be trusted.

I do believe the best, most accurate reviews are the organic ones, rather than those gotten from "free for review" tactics.
I write various flavors of speculative fiction. This is my main pen name.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #42 on: July 29, 2023, 01:22:14 AM »
My stuff that sells (the old erotica and the newer "steamy" stuff in another genre, sell, and no reviews. I get books all the time with no reviews, if I like the premise and it looks to be decently written. I don't look at any review above a three. Maybe I'm weird, but I learned early on in my life that people buy reviews and they aren't to be trusted.

I do believe the best, most accurate reviews are the organic ones, rather than those gotten from "free for review" tactics.
People do buy reviews, but that doesn't mean that all or even most positive reviews have been bought. As for giving a free book and hoping for a review, it doesn't seem to me there's any real incentive for the reviewers to be overly positive. Particularly if one uses a review service, and thus has no direct interaction with the reviewer, I'm not sure why that would incline them to be more positive than the book warrants. With Hidden Gems reviews, for example, I've found that they spread out in a pattern similar to organic reviews on the same book. Sometimes, the average is even a little lower.

Nor does it mean that all negative reviews are trustworthy. In recent years, people have started to post reviews based on their political viewpoint rather than on the product being reviewed. Actually, that produces both false positives and false negatives.

Case in point: Al Gore's second movie on climate change opened a very limited number of screens. Yet it got a huge number of reviews, atypical for such a limited release. Also, the vast majority were one-star or five-star--a clear indicator that people were reviewing based on their political perspective, in most cases probably without having even seen the movie.

Some time back, when I was still teaching and looking for a new mythology book, I came upon an adaptation of Robert Graves's designed for younger readers. (The original two-volume work is a classic, but it's too dense for most high school students.) Anyway, two reviews caught my eye.

"People should be reading the Bible more." One star
"Stop telling lies about the gods." One star

One was clearly by a conservative Christian who didn't like the idea of people studying mythology and probably hadn't read the book. The other was clearly by a neo-pagan who might have read at least part of the book but was clearly reviewing it based on whether or not he or she agreed with it rather than on whether or not it was a good book. Anyway, all Graves was doing was adapting the original Greek myths, not commenting on neo-pagan beliefs one way or the other.

The truth is that both positive and negative reviews can be inaccurate for one reason or another. From what I've seen, there's no reason to assume that negative reviews are automatically more accurate. That's because a lot more people than just the authors can have their hands in the manipulation pie. Sometimes, I wish Amazon had a preference switch that enabled me to hide reviews altogether.

LilyBLily

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2023, 07:46:35 AM »
The details of the negative reviews are the tip-off. Nasty-minded people do not usually bother to describe bad grammar, lousy historical research, malapropisms, and so on. I've decided against reading Regencies and historical mysteries whose negative reviews show exasperation with incorrect forms of address in the peerage and completely ahistorical social behavior. I think such negatives can be trusted.

Although I've heard for years about spiteful reviews and review bombing, I haven't actually encountered it while looking around on Amazon. I don't spend enough time on Goodreads to encounter their notorious pilings on, although again, I've heard for years that they do it. On the other ebook sales venues it's hard enough to find a book in their store, let alone find a review.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
« Reply #44 on: July 30, 2023, 04:27:35 AM »
I've never been the victim of spiteful reviews, thought I've occasionally heard from people who have.

But it's important to note that negative reviews don't have to be spiteful to be misleading. As I mentioned, some people use online reviews as ways to express their personal philosophy in ways that may only tangentially related to the product being reviewed. There are also people who seem not to have read very carefully. This is especially evident when reviewers cite specific examples that aren't in the book. I noticed that one time with a blogger who get every single specific detail mentioned wrong. Of course, that's something only someone familiar with the book would catch.

At least before, we could tell what a reviewer's reasoning was if we took the time to read the reviews (instead of just star-counting like some people I know do). Now, with the proliferation of ratings, we can't even do that.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #45 on: July 30, 2023, 05:27:58 AM »
I've never been the victim of spiteful reviews, thought I've occasionally heard from people who have.

I am pretty sure, no proof mind you, but pretty sure an old Ex gives everything one star. Such is flie.

R.C.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #46 on: July 30, 2023, 11:14:23 AM »
I am pretty sure, no proof mind you, but pretty sure an old Ex gives everything one star. Such is flie.

Finally, a benefit to constant rejection.  :banana:
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"