Author Topic: An experiment promoting a middle book  (Read 730 times)

idontknowyet

An experiment promoting a middle book
« on: April 04, 2022, 12:19:58 PM »
A friend had told me she has nice sucess doing stacked promos on her middle books, so i decided to test it out.

I put book 4 which is the first book in my second trilogy up for free for the last 5 days.

Oddly. It seems to be doing better sales wise. Normally, when i give the first book people will 'buy' that book and a few will by the rest of the trilogy. Then i need to wait for read through. For this promo, i'm getting way more full priced sales. I put book one up for .99cents. People seem to be buying both the first and second trilogy. The rare person buys all 10 books at once. (Hopefully they aren't one of the serial returners though i've been seeing more of that lately. but i dont i want to start the drama thats going on in fb and tiktok.)

Page reads are a bit more scattered. I'm not quite sure how those are going to pan out.

Have you ever tried a mid series promo?

LilyBLily

Re: An experiment promoting a middle book
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2022, 03:54:22 AM »
No, but it sounds like an experiment worth trying. Good luck!  :tup3b

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

Rod Little

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2022, 02:49:22 PM »
I've done this and found it much more successful than first in series. Last time I promo'd book 3 of 4.  I think the readers get tired of seeing the same cover of book 1. Also, a middle book might have a different angle (in my case the story moves from Earth to space in book 3). It may appeal to different readers. I did much better with the middle book, much more follow-thru to buying the rest of the series.
Of course, this may depend on genre.
Genre: science fiction, horror

website

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, alhawke

alhawke

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2022, 02:51:34 PM »
Never done this, but it's something to think about. Particularly if your mid-series book is standalone. :goodpost:

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

idontknowyet

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2022, 12:32:41 PM »
An interesting update.

Unlike first book promos where you get an initial surge then hope for a long tail, there was hardly any major surge. But oddly there has been a circle of sales/ku reads that seems to be causing some organic sales as well.
For this experiment, i dropped all other ads. Though not life altering, my sales have been surprisingly good and steady all month. I have a small promo scheduled for the 26th and 27th going to test to see if this gives me a steady boost as well.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke