Author Topic: Bookfunnel's new ARC protection features  (Read 812 times)

alhawke

Bookfunnel's new ARC protection features
« on: September 20, 2022, 12:52:13 AM »
Bookfunnel has always watermarked files and that's one feature that sold me on using them for ARCs--though I'm not sure how practical the precaution is, honestly. Now they have introduced some new features. You can watermark with visible watermarks. It will show your email address on every chapter, or section, of your novel. Particularly for PDFs, this new feature might be worth it? Another feature is the option of not sending epub files at all. You can just have your readers read the book on Bookfunnel's site and they never download the book this way. Problem with this is that many reviewers want a physical copy with a format they're used to reading. Are any of you planning on using these new features?

I always copyright my ARCs and send slightly altered versions to add protection against plagiarism before a book's release. Now I'm thinking about using these features, particularly the pdf one.

Post-Crisis D

Re: Bookfunnel's new ARC protection features
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 02:00:36 AM »
It will show your email address on every chapter, or section, of your novel. Particularly for PDFs, this new feature might be worth it?

The author's eMail address or the reader's eMail address?
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

alhawke

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 05:07:07 AM »
It came up with my email. I don't mind as my author email address is public. You'd want to check if you don't want it public and you opt for the visible feature.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 05:18:52 AM »
It came up with my email. I don't mind as my author email address is public. You'd want to check if you don't want it public and you opt for the visible feature.

IMHO, it would be more of a deterrent if it had the reader's eMail address.  If they are prone to share it, they are not likely to want their eMail address showing.  They won't care if it's the author's eMail address.  And, if it gets out, you would know who distributed it.

Of course, they may be able to strip out the eMail address anyway, or use a disposable eMail, but any obstacles you can throw in the way of people prone to distribute your book without your permission can't hurt.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

alhawke

« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2022, 06:02:45 AM »
I agree. That's a good idea. At this time, the watermark function is on auto via Bookfunnel only entering author's email address; it's still something, though.

idontknowyet

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2022, 04:39:10 AM »
I know arcs are a thing. But building an arc team doesnt seem worth the effort yet.

Hidden gems works to get the couple written reviews I need to start people writing, but to be fair a free deal on first in series will get so many more reviews for way less effort!

LilyBLily

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2022, 04:49:11 AM »
I know arcs are a thing. But building an arc team doesnt seem worth the effort yet.

Hidden gems works to get the couple written reviews I need to start people writing, but to be fair a free deal on first in series will get so many more reviews for way less effort!

Of late it seems that free or 99-cent deals get plenty of ratings, but few if any reviews. The ARC team is a free way to get quality reviews. Nobody who gets an ARC gives a one-sentence review the way so many of Hidden Gems' reviewers do. Either one's personal ARC team members don't review at all, or they give a decent account of what kind of read it is. I've been stumped recently trying to figure out why there were so many one-star ratings on books I was considering reading; reviews would have helped me decide. It's worth noting that my recent box set has 45 ratings of which only 2 are reviews. More and more, ratings dominate.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2022, 04:52:14 AM by LilyBLily »

alhawke

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2022, 06:09:47 AM »
I do both. I think LilyBLily is right. You do seem to get more written reviews with ARCs versus ratings via freebie promos. Both help move the needle to bring attention to a book, but ARC's a great way to push a new release.

I dread the idea of releasing a book free--never done that, and probably never will (of course, it's an emotional thing. I mean, 99c promos are kinda selling free too when you really think about it).

idontknowyet

« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2022, 06:57:12 AM »
I'm kinda weird with how i advertise and it probably kicks me in the butt. I don't actually spend any money on ads until a series has atleast 3 books released. The ads don't usually make enough of a profit to be worth it on less.