Author Topic: Amazon now has attribution tags  (Read 1053 times)

alhawke

Amazon now has attribution tags
« on: December 31, 2022, 02:07:56 AM »
So? Do you any of you care? Are any of you using them?

I owe Hidden Gems for sending info on this topic: https://www.hiddengemsbooks.com/track-subscriber-behavior-attribution-tags/

I'd love to know if any of you plan to, or are already, using them. Seems like more work to me and I'm not sure if it's worth it? Yet...  :icon_think:

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: Amazon now has attribution tags
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2022, 02:14:28 AM »
I had no idea this even existed.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

alhawke

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2022, 07:15:44 AM »
It's brand new this month. It allows us to get more stats from Amazon on which reader is buying what if you use the link. Again, it seems like too much work to be worth it to me. But I'm checking if anyone's implemented it yet (or plans to).

idontknowyet

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2023, 02:47:23 AM »
It's brand new this month. It allows us to get more stats from Amazon on which reader is buying what if you use the link. Again, it seems like too much work to be worth it to me. But I'm checking if anyone's implemented it yet (or plans to).
I seen some very positive responses to it especially for fb ads. I tried it early on and it glitched on me, but i plan to try it again soon.  From all reports, they don't track every sale and they are a bit laggy, but overall an effective tool.

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2023, 07:13:03 AM »
I just created my first attribution tag (been dragging my feet over this since Nick Erik did a step-by-step in early October). I'm going to use it for my newsletter to see if anyone bothers to click on my New Year's sale.

alhawke

« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2023, 07:15:43 AM »
I seen some very positive responses to it especially for fb ads. I tried it early on and it glitched on me, but i plan to try it again soon.  From all reports, they don't track every sale and they are a bit laggy, but overall an effective tool.
Ads is a thought... Thanks for the tip. The article seems to be directed primarily to KU authors with AMS. But I could try it to track my BookBub ads. ??Some do this with affiliates but I was always worried this would be against TOS, so I didn't use affiliates; attribution tags should be totally fine.

Problem with that is I have ads working. It takes time and money for the algos to cook and I don't particularly want to go through new links on my ads that work now (cause I'd have to change all the links).

alhawke

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2023, 07:17:55 AM »
I just created my first attribution tag (been dragging my feet over this since Nick Erik did a step-by-step in early October). I'm going to use it for my newsletter to see if anyone bothers to click on my New Year's sale.
Please let us know if it's helpful.
I use affiliates, so I can at least track sales from my website. With affiliates, I draw my newsletter to specific product webpages. It's not direct, but it's landed some sales and I can track my readers buys through affiliate links. But I assume it's not nearly as informative as attribution links.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2023, 12:27:54 AM »
It's probably foolish of me to ask because I doubt anyone knows. But just in case, are there any GDPR implications of attribution tags? Since GDPR is opposed to any kind of nonconsensual website tracking, I would think tracking links might also create issues for it, but I'm only speculating.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

alhawke

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2023, 02:27:00 AM »
It's probably foolish of me to ask because I doubt anyone knows. But just in case, are there any GDPR implications of attribution tags? Since GDPR is opposed to any kind of nonconsensual website tracking, I would think tracking links might also create issues for it, but I'm only speculating.
I don't know...

But my thought on this was that Amazon is collecting the data for their sales and then sharing their data to authors. It'd be up to them to ensure compliance... I think.

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt

writeway

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2023, 11:00:12 AM »
Ads is a thought... Thanks for the tip. The article seems to be directed primarily to KU authors with AMS. But I could try it to track my BookBub ads. ??Some do this with affiliates but I was always worried this would be against TOS, so I didn't use affiliates; attribution tags should be totally fine.

Problem with that is I have ads working. It takes time and money for the algos to cook and I don't particularly want to go through new links on my ads that work now (cause I'd have to change all the links).

I'm in KU but wondered if you had to be using ads which I don't. Would be cool if it was for everyone.

alhawke

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2023, 12:54:23 PM »
I'm in KU but wondered if you had to be using ads which I don't. Would be cool if it was for everyone.
Can't you sign up for AMS, not start up an ad, and just use the links??
I haven't tried it yet.

LilyBLily

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2023, 04:40:43 AM »
Another interesting piece of information Amazon provides is DPV or Detail Page Views. So you get the click-throughs, the sales page views, the purchases, and the KU pages read, plus a graph showing on what date click-throughs occurred.

Scary but true: if the detail page (the page on which your blurb is selling the book) doesn't sell it, you need to rewrite the blurb. I think I need to rewrite mine.

:icon_sad:

cuberoute

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2023, 06:36:03 AM »
It's pretty fascinating how incentives work here. With Amazon's pivot to on-site advertising they're now handing over masses of data because in the world of PPC ads, everyone provides ridiculously fine-grained info. Google will let you watch a single person and how they interact with your website.

Meanwhile, for authors who want to know how many AMS ad clicks are borrows - nope. We get the aggregate page reads.

I want to know from 100 clicks how many people hit that borrow button!

Maybe as AMS and the ad mentality works its way through Amazon we'll actually get this info.