Author Topic: Want a big $ book deal? Get someone to do a TikTok video about your book.  (Read 553 times)

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
I see the potential in TikTok, but I'm waiting for it to clean up its act. The early TikTok challenges, in which high school students were challenged to commit vandalism at school and film the results, were bad enough. But recently a fourteen-year-old suffered burns over 80% of his body as a result of a challenge to create a torch using a lighter and a spray can--because what could possibly go wrong with that?

I mention this only because I think a lot of people aren't aware of how lax TikTok's moderation policies are. It has a lot of marketing potential for us. But I think it needs to stop allowing content that encourages teenagers to commit crimes or put themselves in harm's way. (They're all too prone to impulsive behavior on their own without encouraging them in that direction.)

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
Think long and hard about using TikTok. In the TikTok TOS is a passage that allows the app to screen scrape your device! That means you give permission for the app to read EVERYTHING on your device.

R.C.

The following users thanked this post: Wonder

Bill Hiatt

• Series unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
There's also the question of what China does with our data. It's possible it doesn't do anything sinister at all, but at the very least, I support its prohibition in government facilities, just in case.

Of course, we don't really know what large companies in general do with our data. That's a whole different problem. But I've not run across a TOS before that allows access to all data on the device used for the service. It's a good reminder to always read the TOS (which I admit I don't do most of the time).

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | Facebook author page |