Author Topic: How do you feel about other authors...  (Read 4298 times)

guest14

How do you feel about other authors...
« on: October 02, 2018, 05:50:25 AM »
How do you feel about other authors using your books to earn affiliate income from Amazon and other platforms.

WasAnn

Re: How do you feel about other authors...
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2018, 05:55:02 AM »
Who does that?

If you mean newsletter promos or swaps or even just being featured by them because they liked a book, no problem. It's cool.

If you mean those folks who are working the alsobots and featuring my book to go up a rung in the ladder, I'm sort of meh about it.

I'm not sure what other way there is to do it.

Science Fiction is my game.

DrewMcGunn

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2018, 05:57:06 AM »
That depends. On a site like this one, when I put my books in my sig line, I actively chose to use Tim's affiliate code. I really didn't mind before the VS thing over on that other forum, as it was disclosed. I saw it as a tiny contribution to support the server.
There have been one or two others where it was a prerequisite to use the product (novelrank comes to mind).

I guess if it's clear that is what is happening and I can choose to take part, then I'm ok. Not sure I'd be ok with it if it was snuck in on me.

Drew McGunn

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2018, 05:59:46 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the question.  You get paid the same whether someone buys through an affiliate link or not.  The affiliate fee comes out of Amazon's share, not yours.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

guest642

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2018, 06:02:49 AM »
How do you feel about other authors using your books to earn affiliate income from Amazon and other platforms.

You get paid way more per book than the affiliate link will earn the referrer. A LOT more. Heck, what a referrer gets pales in comparison to the whopping 30% Amazon takes. And as someone else says, the referral fee doesn't come out of your pocket, but Amazon's.

I wouldn't give it another thought. I'd give the thumbs up to anyone who wants to help me sell my books for a small referral fee.  :Tup3a:

guest14

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2018, 06:52:39 AM »
I meant and mean that if someone takes your books and creates a marketing platform and sells your books for the affiliate income and you didn't know about it - how would you feel. You've mentioned all the circumstances above, but we're not talking about things you are aware of or participate in. I'm just curious to know how people feel about that.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2018, 07:02:09 AM »
I meant and mean that if someone takes your books and creates a marketing platform and sells your books for the affiliate income and you didn't know about it - how would you feel.

I feel like I hope they drive a lot of traffic to their site and encourage their visitors to buy my books.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

NathanBurrows

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2018, 07:14:01 AM »
Fine by me - if I get a sale from it, and they get some affiliate income, sounds like everyone wins!

Max

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2018, 07:17:45 AM »
Normally, I'd say thank you and be fine with it... I mean super duper fine with it!

BUT (big but, here)

If a shady outfit decided to give my book away, with or without  affiliates, and it makes me look like I'm working with them, or endorsing those efforts...
Not cool. Not appreciated.

The following users thanked this post: EB

Anarchist

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2018, 07:20:57 AM »
If the authors were getting a ton of traffic, I'd email them and ask how I can help them sell more.

Podcast? Tailored sales copy? Nekkid pics?
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Maggie Ann

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2018, 07:28:57 AM »
If another site is putting forth the effort and the ad $$$ to promote my work, they deserve the paltry affiliate income Zon allows them.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2018, 07:34:47 AM »
I meant and mean that if someone takes your books and creates a marketing platform and sells your books for the affiliate income and you didn't know about it - how would you feel. You've mentioned all the circumstances above, but we're not talking about things you are aware of or participate in. I'm just curious to know how people feel about that.

Are you talking about piracy?  Or just other sites linking to our legitimate product pages?

I think you mean the latter, but I want to be sure.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

RPatton

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2018, 07:36:55 AM »
Something similar, but not, happened to me a while ago. An author included me in her acknowledgements. I politely asked them to remove my name. I didn't (and still don't) want my brand associated with that publisher.

There are some publishers where I would get angry. No amount of sales is worth having the implication that I either support or condone their actions. But, for the most part, I don't really care.

I think the best answer is: It depends. Probably thank them, but a few times I might raise a stink.

JRTomlin

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2018, 07:38:14 AM »
I don't consider it any of my business (assuming whoever is doing it is legit). It has no effect on me or my earnings.

Lex

« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2018, 07:44:24 AM »
I meant and mean that if someone takes your books and creates a marketing platform and sells your books for the affiliate income and you didn't know about it - how would you feel.

I think I'd be fine with it... but I can't help but feel like I'm still missing part of the question.  :icon_think:

So my question is how would you feel about it, Tobias?

And is the fact that the person is an author important in your answer? Does the answer change if they're just an email marketer or a blogger, etc.?
« Last Edit: October 03, 2018, 02:39:51 AM by Lex »

munboy

« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2018, 08:03:37 AM »
A sale is a sale. They're not cutting into my profits. Amazon (and other affiliates) are the ones paying them, not me.

The only downside I can think of is if they were lumping my books in with questionable content, then yes, I'd have a problem.

Crystal

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2018, 09:32:50 AM »
The only way they're getting affiliate income is if they're selling my book. I have no problem with someone else selling my book.

« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2018, 09:50:43 AM »
That the point of an affiliate program.

???

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2018, 09:52:27 AM »
No offense intended toward anyone, but I can't help but feel we need Admiral Ackbar to wade in here and warn us, "It's a trap!"

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2018, 12:18:39 PM »
I dont see the problem.

Affiliates used to be able to set up a page on Amazon, and display whatever products they wanted to push. I think it's down at the moment, but I had several, with different themes.

While people are trying to make money doing it, in our case, a book sale from anything like this is a bonus. And as said, we dont pay the affiliate fee, Amazon does.

Anything legit which sells more of my books, is a good thing, and if they get something out of it, great incentive.

I would like to know though, so I know where a spike one day came from.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2018, 02:03:34 PM »

As long as they sell my books and I get the usual share, I'm totally happy with that. There's no loss to me. In fact, it seems like a win-win.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

guest14

« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »
Good. because I know how volatile people can be when things aren't pre-approved by them.

As it is I'm in agreement with the majority. The reason I asked is two-fold. Number one, I just had a spike in sales and I can only attribute it to someone promoting my book on their site. (I think I know who that is) and two, I have a review site where I put books which contain my affiliate links. I'm of a view that it's fine, and I don't need permission, but wanted reassurance that it was an acceptable practice.

EB

« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2018, 03:34:23 AM »
Normally, I'd say thank you and be fine with it... I mean super duper fine with it!

BUT (big but, here)

If a shady outfit decided to give my book away, with or without  affiliates, and it makes me look like I'm working with them, or endorsing those efforts...
Not cool. Not appreciated.

This, 100% ^^

katc

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2018, 05:18:33 AM »
If I'm making sales and there's more traffic to my books, everyone wins, right? As long as there's nothing shady, I think I'd be fine with it.