Author Topic: 50+ words a day...no matter what!  (Read 308943 times)

diisha392

Re: 50+ words a day...no matter what!
« Reply #850 on: August 05, 2019, 11:38:17 AM »
540 words today

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #851 on: August 06, 2019, 05:16:12 AM »
I wrote a whopping 75 words yesterday.  I guess my excuse is that Spider-Man: Homecoming was on TV last night and I watched it (for the first time) rather than, um, writing.

Also, did this guy before bed last night:

Obviously, he works out his right bicep more than his left.  Also, when looking at him now, he seems to be the love-child of Conan O'Brien and Donald Trump.  :icon_think:

Maybe, try it anyway?  The drawings are unique and your fans might enjoy it!  :cheers

Fans?  LOL.  I have more of these kinds of fans than book fans:

The characters are great and you don't have to be Stan Lee to do comics just like we don't have to be James Patterson to write a thriller. I say go for it. These are wonderful drawings and you can put your own humorous stamp on the story.

Thanks, but I don't seem to even be able to write humor anymore, else the lame space opera would be done by now.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Maggie Ann

« Reply #852 on: August 06, 2019, 12:10:03 PM »
I'm pretty happy with the 1023 words I wrote tonight and I'm also happy with where the story is going.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #853 on: August 06, 2019, 01:26:59 PM »
Wrote 195 words today, unless I write more in the next half hour, which is an improvement over yesterday's 75 but still not near the 1,000 I was hoping for each day.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #854 on: August 06, 2019, 01:54:59 PM »
I realized there will be a book 4 in the series.  I was really hoping to keep it to 3...but now there will be a Christmas party! :smilie_zauber:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

The following users thanked this post: diisha392

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #855 on: August 06, 2019, 01:59:56 PM »
Haven't been writing much because of vacation and now I'm moving. But I've made some progress.

Finished the pirate mermaid cat story before the deadline and submitted it. Now back to the steampunk book 3. Wrote 3254 words today. Want to finish the first draft this month but I'm only a third of the way there and who knows how much time/energy this move will take.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #856 on: August 07, 2019, 11:25:08 AM »
Didn't write any more in the last half hour of yesterday so the word count remained static at 195.  I have written 600 words so far today with a chance I might write more in the next couple hours.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #857 on: August 07, 2019, 11:26:10 AM »
And this morning's drawing was an owl in a suit on the red carpet.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Kristen.s.walker

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #858 on: August 07, 2019, 11:28:42 AM »
I want to see the owl in a suit drawing, sounds cute!

Wrote 2870 words today.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #859 on: August 07, 2019, 11:37:46 AM »
Wanted to write a bit more but I lost track of the story and had to go back and reread the last four or five pages. Edited while I was at it but still added 1018 words for a total of 31.3K.

diisha392

« Reply #860 on: August 07, 2019, 11:39:22 AM »
200 words

notthatamanda

« Reply #861 on: August 07, 2019, 12:45:03 PM »
I want to see the owl in a suit drawing, sounds cute!
Me too!  I am pro-owl.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #862 on: August 08, 2019, 01:59:02 AM »
By popular request, I guess . . .

Cue the disappointed groans.  :hehe

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, diisha392, Kristen.s.walker

Maggie Ann

« Reply #863 on: August 08, 2019, 03:00:10 AM »
Definitely not disappointed, Dan. He looks like a college president giving a welcome speech to the new freshmen.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #864 on: August 08, 2019, 08:04:20 AM »
By popular request, I guess . . .

Cue the disappointed groans.  :hehe

With apologies to ZZ Top...

Big eyes, sharp beak
Ate lots of mice this week
Taloned feet, wide wings
We birds of prey kill all the things

I ain't no wimpy guinea fowl
I'm a predator, a sharp-dressed owl.

:band:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, Kristen.s.walker

notthatamanda

« Reply #865 on: August 08, 2019, 09:41:04 AM »
My kids want you to name him Bill.  Just a suggestion.

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #866 on: August 08, 2019, 09:50:08 AM »
I love the owl! He's very dapper.

Wrote 3062 words today. Must go back to packing and tomorrow I have to take another load of boxes between houses, so I'm not sure if I'll have much time to write.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #867 on: August 08, 2019, 10:03:53 AM »

I don't know that I can do anything about that.  It's not my fault Mr. & Mrs. Tanyard named him Jeff.  :hehe

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #868 on: August 08, 2019, 10:10:41 AM »

And give him a long beard and a fuzzy white guitar.   :cool:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #869 on: August 08, 2019, 11:42:56 AM »
I think Bill could be our forum mascot!

:banana:

An even 1K words tonight.

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton, Post-Crisis D, diisha392, Kristen.s.walker

diisha392

« Reply #870 on: August 08, 2019, 11:43:26 AM »
145 words (plus about 2 hours of curriculum work)

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #871 on: August 08, 2019, 11:58:17 AM »
I'm at 63 words for the day so far.  :rant

I think Bill could be our forum mascot!

Timothy couldn't afford the licensing fee.  :hehe

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #872 on: August 09, 2019, 10:00:58 AM »
I finished out with 85 words yesterday.  :dizzy

Tried another drawing and turned out pretty badly.  No need to show it here.  LOL.

I think this is more my style, maybe:

Anyway, here is an important life lesson for writers, especially younger writers regardless of whether that's in terms of age or starting out, and that is to save everything you write.  Not only that, but keep it accessible.

When I started writing, I didn't have a computer.  So everything was hand-written.  Then, my family later got a computer.  But, computer storage back in the ancient times of my youth was at a premium.  So, you didn't store much on disks.  On top of that, printouts were on dot matrix printers and publishers didn't like that.  I eventually bought a typewriter to type up stuff to send out, rather than use a dot matrix printer because, as I said, bad.  Publishers no likey.  Whatever.

Anyway, computer storage eventually became larger but you still didn't store much on the computer.  Digitizing documents wasn't really a thing because scanning quality wasn't real high, at least not for the average user.  And the highest quality scans took up a lot of space anyway so you were back to the storage problem.  Consequently, you didn't store a whole lot on the computer.

But, nowadays, it's not so bad.  A "small" file these days would have filled your entire hard drive way back when.  Consequently, in recent years, I have been endeavoring to get copies of everything I've written on my computer.  I don't scan in all the drafts, but I scan in final copies or significant drafts.  Also, notes, drawings, and so on.  I keep each story in its own folder and I have a spreadsheet with all (well, most) of my WIPs.

Why do I mention this?  Well, I haven't scanned in everything.

Some of you have mentioned I should perhaps give doing comics a go, despite my lack of actual drawing skills.  One possibility are the space-faring characters I've created.  But, I've had another idea percolating in my brain but couldn't quite figure out the write overall story world in which to tell it.

And then I remembered this story I started a long time ago.  It's even listed in my spreadsheet of WIPs.  (There's also a short story I wrote several years ago that could be folded in as part of the overall story.)  I had this story set in three time periods with most of the action taking place in the present day, well, what was the present day.  LOL.  And this idea that's been percolating would fit into the first time period, which I had, if I recall, only planned to write the ending of to show how that worked into the second time period and finally into the present day.  It makes more sense than the way I just described it.

I remember coming across this story not too terribly long ago when I was sorting through stuff to organize and toss and whatnot.  And I remember thinking, well, I am not going to be doing anything with this story for a while with all the other WIPs I have going, so there's no need to scan it in right now.  So, I didn't.

And now that I kind of want to work with it maybe, um, I am not entirely sure where it is.  I should have scanned it when I had it in my hands.  Oy.

So, the lesson is to both save everything you write and also keep it accessible.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #873 on: August 09, 2019, 10:26:14 AM »
Dan, I think your style has morphed into stitching old stories together. With all the practice you've had on the lame space opera, this one should be a piece of cake.

And I really like how the little alien's eyes and mouth move.

diisha392

« Reply #874 on: August 09, 2019, 12:01:41 PM »
217 words added to a part earlier in the story

Kristen.s.walker

« Reply #875 on: August 09, 2019, 12:22:07 PM »
Today I moved boxes and wrote 3369 words. I feel a bit like a superhero. Yeah, I know some people do 10k words a day without breaking a sweat, but this was a good day for me.

Almost reached the middle of the novel. When I'm not writing it, the ideas are just floating through my head and I'm itching to get back to it. Love this part of a draft. The worst is when I get close to the end and then have to, y'know, write a good ending. But right now there is so much room to explore and have fun.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #876 on: August 09, 2019, 01:06:44 PM »
Not as much as I wanted to, but then again, it never is. 867 tonight.

diisha392

« Reply #877 on: August 10, 2019, 12:09:04 PM »
79 words (after working a yard sale for 6 hours and then doing curriculum work for an hour--can I count some of those words?  :help)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #878 on: August 10, 2019, 12:32:34 PM »
79 words (after working a yard sale for 6 hours and then doing curriculum work for an hour--can I count some of those words?  :help)

You did your 50+ and that's all that you have to do. After a six hour yard sale, I doubt if I'd even be able to push the power button on.

I thought I might take today off, then I kicked myself out of my lethargy and did 532 words. I'm up to 148 pages. My goal is 160 minimum and I'm confident now that I'll make it.

diisha392

« Reply #879 on: August 10, 2019, 12:44:56 PM »
I thought I might take today off, then I kicked myself out of my lethargy and did 532 words. I'm up to 148 pages. My goal is 160 minimum and I'm confident now that I'll make it.

:tup3b

diisha392

« Reply #880 on: August 11, 2019, 12:26:12 PM »
85 words today and only 3 hours at the yard sale

Maggie Ann

« Reply #881 on: August 11, 2019, 12:34:13 PM »

Hope it was successful.

1382 and I didn't think I would get that far tonight.

diisha392

« Reply #882 on: August 12, 2019, 06:10:47 AM »
I told myself I was going to finish the first draft of this short story that I've been poking at for the last three weeks and I did!

1226 words today, 4996 words in the story (I'm a little annoyed to be 4 words short of 5K but figure things will change once I edit)

Hope it was successful.

1382 and I didn't think I would get that far tonight.

We made over $250 profit for very low stress so definitely a successful fundraiser for the team :)

Maggie Ann

« Reply #883 on: August 12, 2019, 11:44:19 AM »
I had to quit at 570 words because I realized I'd messed up my timeline. Back to the drawing board.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #884 on: August 12, 2019, 12:56:34 PM »
Here are a few days' worth of disappointing word counts:

8/8 105 words
8/9 120 words
8/10 50 words

I had to quit at 570 words because I realized I'd messed up my timeline. Back to the drawing board.

The downside of being a slow writer is that I sometimes forget where the characters are.  Well, not where specifically, but like whose sector of space they are in.  I long for my younger years when I could remember these details for years rather than days.

But, yeah, timelines too.  Like I have had to recalculate stuff to try to figure out how old characters were when certain events occurred which has been a bit troublesome because one character is older and the other is younger but the younger one had to be old enough to have done a certain thing when the older character was at a certain event and also the event has to be long enough ago that it feels like ancient history.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #885 on: August 12, 2019, 09:39:38 PM »
Here are a few days' worth of disappointing word counts:

8/8 105 words
8/9 120 words
8/10 50 words

The downside of being a slow writer is that I sometimes forget where the characters are.  Well, not where specifically, but like whose sector of space they are in.  I long for my younger years when I could remember these details for years rather than days.

But, yeah, timelines too.  Like I have had to recalculate stuff to try to figure out how old characters were when certain events occurred which has been a bit troublesome because one character is older and the other is younger but the younger one had to be old enough to have done a certain thing when the older character was at a certain event and also the event has to be long enough ago that it feels like ancient history.

Ages, too. I think I'm going to have to make the grandparents the great-grandparents and kill them off. Nah, I'll let them die peacefully in their sleep. I did some figuring last night but I think I'm going to have to do a chart like a family tree.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #886 on: August 13, 2019, 01:29:18 AM »
I think I'm going to have to make the grandparents the great-grandparents and kill them off. Nah, I'll let them die peacefully in their sleep.

Unlike the screaming passengers in their car.  :hehe

Maggie Ann

« Reply #887 on: August 13, 2019, 08:45:54 AM »
I think I'm going to have to make the grandparents the great-grandparents and kill them off. Nah, I'll let them die peacefully in their sleep.

:icon_rofl:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #888 on: August 13, 2019, 09:11:14 AM »

It's from a joke I heard long ago.

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like all the passengers in his car."

Not sure the original source.  The Internet, which is not always the most reliable of sources, seems to indicate Will Rogers (which seems a bit unlikely since he died in 1935 and it feels like a more modern joke) or Will Shriner who was born in 1953 so perhaps he is a bit more likely?  I don't know.  Who knows, maybe lots of people died when Model T drivers fell asleep at the wheel.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #889 on: August 13, 2019, 10:19:40 AM »

It's from a joke I heard long ago.

"When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not yelling and screaming like all the passengers in his car."

Not sure the original source.  The Internet, which is not always the most reliable of sources, seems to indicate Will Rogers (which seems a bit unlikely since he died in 1935 and it feels like a more modern joke) or Will Shriner who was born in 1953 so perhaps he is a bit more likely?  I don't know.  Who knows, maybe lots of people died when Model T drivers fell asleep at the wheel.

I knew the joke, Dan, but I had to laugh anyway.

Just finished the family tree. I had to do two family trees. The birth family and the adoptive family. Why do I make things so complicated for myself?

Time to write, I hope.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #890 on: August 13, 2019, 11:26:45 AM »
I knew the joke, Dan, but I had to laugh anyway.

I figured you might but I didn't want anyone else thinking I was trying to claim it as my own or something.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #891 on: August 13, 2019, 11:28:04 AM »
Wrote 330 words yesterday.  Woohoo.  Thought I was going to be done with this chapter with the characters having escaped a deadly monster but now one character wants to go back and check something out.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #892 on: August 13, 2019, 12:06:58 PM »
Wrote 1213 words and made a few minor changes to the family tree. It's making more sense now.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #893 on: August 15, 2019, 01:29:30 AM »
Wrote 210 words on Monday and 195 yesterday.

Finally got out of the chapter I've been in for ages, though I feel like I need to go back and add some description to the closing scene.  Anyway, started the next chapter either last night or the wee hours this morning--who can remember?--and this features different characters so it'll be a nice change for a bit, especially since the main character in this chapter has a few loose screws.  I will have to review his character arc at some point to make sure his descent into madness doesn't contradict the initial scenes where he seemed to be a suave semi-hero.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #894 on: August 15, 2019, 11:33:28 AM »
1075 tonight. I'll have to do some research tomorrow. Hope I can find what I need quickly.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #895 on: August 16, 2019, 07:55:26 AM »
Wrote 1,105 words yesterday.  Delved maybe too deep into the assassin's psyche otherwise the chapter would have basically been "he shoots, he scores!", you know?  Oh, 1,105 words and he hasn't even spotted the target yet, so that'll be for tonight's writing session.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #896 on: August 16, 2019, 11:46:01 AM »
323 words. Not much but I'm going to be editing what I wrote last night. I did the research and found what I needed but I really didn't understand it. I'm just going to go by what I heard in conversation from someone who knows. I'll have to make it more of a general thing.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #897 on: August 17, 2019, 08:01:33 AM »
Only 170 words yesterday.  None yet today.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #898 on: August 19, 2019, 01:12:19 AM »
Had to make up for two lazy days so I wrote 2009 words this morning. Also had a flash of brilliance that told me how to fix my historical romance. But that's going to have to wait. Mostly, it'll be timeline changes. I need to compress everything together.

PS:  I passed the 40K mark.  :dance:
« Last Edit: August 19, 2019, 01:30:57 AM by Maggie Ann »

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #899 on: August 19, 2019, 05:24:03 AM »
Had to make up for two lazy days so I wrote 2009 words this morning. Also had a flash of brilliance that told me how to fix my historical romance. But that's going to have to wait. Mostly, it'll be timeline changes. I need to compress everything together.

PS:  I passed the 40K mark.  :dance:

Well done!   :goodpost:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books