Author Topic: Amazon Printing Press and Pricing Scam  (Read 618 times)

APP

Amazon Printing Press and Pricing Scam
« on: November 16, 2022, 01:38:02 AM »
https://kindlepreneur.com/amazon-printing-scams/

I found this article interesting. However, it doesn't impact me personally as I (at this moment in time) don't create print books--just e-books. I know many of you do create print books to go along with your e-books, though, so you may find it of interest.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Amazon Printing Press and Pricing Scam
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2022, 02:18:05 AM »
I'm not sure the problem would be as hard to fix as the author of the article suggests, at least as far as paperback books are concerned.

There are only a certain number of POD services out there. The only way this scam makes a profit is if someone goes with a cheap printing operation rather than one of the well-known PODs, all of which are going to have similar printing costs. It ought to be possible to design an algorithm that identifies books from an unknown POD and flags them. (Amazon knows where the new paperbacks it lists come from.) Another algorithm could check the flagged books for any similar author name/title combinations. In that way, a relatively small number of possible scams could be identified for investigation by a live person.

One thing Amazon has been relatively good about in the past is responding to DMCA takedown notices. So if anyone does spot a counterfeit book being marketed on Amazon, that's definitely something to report and get fixed. Probably, the hassle will be minimal. 

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2022, 11:35:12 AM »
One thing Amazon has been relatively good about in the past is responding to DMCA takedown notices. So if anyone does spot a counterfeit book being marketed on Amazon, that's definitely something to report and get fixed. Probably, the hassle will be minimal.

Not so much.

I had both eBook and paperback copies of one of my books up earlier this year.

Took 6 weeks to get them taken down.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2022, 11:49:14 PM »
That's unfortunate. They were better about it in the past I think. They probably don't have enough people (or bots) on it.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2022, 12:35:28 AM »
That's unfortunate. They were better about it in the past I think. They probably don't have enough people (or bots) on it.

I'm wondering if this is a side effect of the low content book explosion.

Their resources are so over stretched dealing with 1000's of low content books a week which all largely look the same and use the same set of Canva images, that the bots are too distracted with them to detect actual fraud.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.