Author Topic: Sci-fi writers on world-building  (Read 1277 times)

Hopscotch

Sci-fi writers on world-building
« on: January 06, 2021, 12:53:10 AM »
'If the aliens lay eggs, how does that affect architecture?': sci-fi writers on how they build their worlds

Authors including Nnedi Okorafor, Kim Stanley Robinson and Alastair Reynolds reveal what does, and doesn’t, go into creating their worlds

Alastair Reynolds:  “My approach to world-building is a bit smoke and mirrors – there’s only as much as you need to carry the story….I like the idea that you write in such a way that the reader thinks they’ve been given a bit of world-building, but they haven’t – they’ve made it up in their own head, or joined up the dots. That’s the way to do it with maximum economy. Clearly this is something that frustrates a lot of readers, but I like leaving stuff out. Let the reader fill in those missing chapters. I’d far rather go and create other stuff to drive them mad.”

Here’s the whole read:  https://www.theguardian.com/books/2021/jan/05/if-the-aliens-lay-eggs-how-does-that-affect-architecture-sci-fi-writers-on-how-they-build-their-worlds
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

Cabbages and kings

Re: Sci-fi writers on world-building
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 03:28:26 AM »
How do you avoid an info dump when you world build?
"The time has come," the walrus said,
"to talk of many things:
of shoes and ships,
and sealing wax,
of cabbages and kings."

PJ Post

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 03:46:59 AM »
1 Let the world unfold gradually.
2 Have scenes take place in world-building locations.
3 Have characters casually drop 'in world' references - like people do.
4 Reinforce these concepts with subtlety and nuance.

The following users thanked this post: Cabbages and kings, The Masked Scrivener

notthatamanda

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 04:31:43 AM »
I'm not sci-fi but I focus on being inside the character and how they noticing and reacting to the environment.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post, Cabbages and kings

The Masked Scrivener

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 12:36:31 PM »
My trick to avoid info dumps is to remember it's not new to my character. I let the reader learn about the world through the actions of the characters, and through the interactions characters have with each other as they solve problems.

I'm also an "ice berg" world builder. Only show the top 10% of the world and let the reader think there is another 90%.

The following users thanked this post: Cabbages and kings

VanessaC

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 06:37:09 PM »
How do you avoid an info dump when you world build?

If you haven't found them already, Brandon Sanderson's lectures are fab and do include a lot of tips and hints on this - letting the world unfold, and seeing it from your character's perspective. He has a YouTube channel and all the lectures are available there.

Genre: Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: Cabbages and kings, The Masked Scrivener

LeonardDHilleyII

• Blurb unlocked
    • Leonard D. Hilley II Author Website
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2022, 03:50:29 AM »
'If the aliens lay eggs, how does that affect architecture?': sci-fi writers on how they build their worlds

Authors including Nnedi Okorafor, Kim Stanley Robinson and Alastair Reynolds reveal what does, and doesn’t, go into creating their worlds

Alastair Reynolds:  “My approach to world-building is a bit smoke and mirrors – there’s only as much as you need to carry the story….I like the idea that you write in such a way that the reader thinks they’ve been given a bit of world-building, but they haven’t – they’ve made it up in their own head, or joined up the dots. That’s the way to do it with maximum economy. Clearly this is something that frustrates a lot of readers, but I like leaving stuff out. Let the reader fill in those missing chapters. I’d far rather go and create other stuff to drive them mad.”

[/url]

There's also a problem of a fictional world being TOO vague, which isn't good, either. Description doesn't have to be long chapters. I tend to weave bits and pieces of the scenery and backstory at a slow pace. Info dumps can be excessive, but sometimes for a reader's clarity, it's essential.