Author Topic: copyright trolls  (Read 346 times)

APP

copyright trolls
« on: June 27, 2023, 12:24:52 AM »
I just stumbled upon this article, and for those of you that haven't seen it, I thought you might find it of interest.I did.
https://writerunboxed.com/2023/06/23/when-the-copyright-trolls-came-for-me/

The following users thanked this post: Bill Hiatt, LilyBLily

LilyBLily

Re: copyright trolls
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2023, 07:19:07 AM »
Fascinating. In the early days of blogging I grabbed photos from anywhere and put them on the blog I wrote--which was not a blog in my name, so I guess I've dodged that potential mess. Many of the other photos were shots of old book covers from my personal library. Typical "Favorite books I read as a teenager" kinds of blog posts. I think its content has been taken down by now and the company is out of business, too.

Today I only use licensed photos, covers I've bought, photos I've taken, or covers of other people's books. Now I wonder if putting the cover of someone else's book on my website could lead me to some kind of legal action? The other covers often are books that started with the same licensed photo as used on one of my book covers; I like to show that many people use the same photos. Wouldn't that be considered fair use?

I got into an argument years ago with a cover designer who didn't want to use photos or portraits of kings and queens from the 19th century, saying that some museums claim they have the right to those images and/or to photos of them. When it's a 100-year-old or a 500-year-old painting, I tend to disagree, but IANAL. We didn't use people's portraits on the cover after all, yet I see them on other people's books constantly. And what about a photo of Queen Elizabeth II? Or a photo of the official portrait of QEII that's in the National Portrait Gallery in London? (The one with the cloak.)

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2023, 08:23:23 AM »
I got into an argument years ago with a cover designer who didn't want to use photos or portraits of kings and queens from the 19th century, saying that some museums claim they have the right to those images and/or to photos of them. When it's a 100-year-old or a 500-year-old painting, I tend to disagree, but IANAL. We didn't use people's portraits on the cover after all, yet I see them on other people's books constantly. And what about a photo of Queen Elizabeth II? Or a photo of the official portrait of QEII that's in the National Portrait Gallery in London? (The one with the cloak.)

They may have been thinking of Crown Copyright in the UK and other commonwealth countries.  The Crown Copyright covers works that were created or published by or under the direction of the leading monarch.  Under the 1988 revised Copyright Act, the Crown Copyright only lasts for 50 years from the date of publication or 125 years if the work is unpublished.  But, there is a royal prerogative to issue Letters Patent to some works which can extend the Copyright term indefinitely.  The King James Bible is under a perpetual copyright because of that.

In the United States and many other countries, the King James Bible is considered public domain.  Within the United Kingdom, it is still protected though.

Whether photos and portraits of kings and queens are protected by in a similar manner, I don't know.  I've never looked into that, but there's a possibility.  Old images may be public domain in the United States and other parts of the world, but if they happen to still be protected in the U.K., then you might someday run into issues if you are selling books using such images.

IANAL but Crown Copyright and Letters Patent is something to be mindful of if using works related to U.K. royalty.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

PJ Post

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2023, 09:42:07 PM »
Yet another reason why we can't have nice things.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.