Author Topic: Promotion Rules  (Read 6173 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Promotion Rules
« on: September 16, 2018, 11:06:04 PM »
Authors may create a promotion thread for their work. 1 thread per author name.

Authors can post anything new to it at any time.

Authors may boost their thread once a week, but preferably with a new Original Post Heading each time. (To keep from always seeing the same thing all the time.)

Author members promoting their own work should begin the thread subject with:
[Author Name] thread title. This tells the observer which are authors here advertising their own work, and all others will be someone advertising someone else. Comments welcome.

If you have multiple pen names, then one thread per pen name with [Pen name] on the heading.

Recurring group promos should have 1 thread, with the promo name in the []. 

« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:58:02 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Simon Haynes

Re: Promotion Rules
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 05:29:59 PM »
Just checking - I'm hoping you're restricting this to one topic per author, not per title? There's a situation on a certain other forum where an author/imprint will go into the promo section and bump about 15-20 books every week, filling the first page.

If they can all be merged into a single topic per author, that would be great.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 05:34:09 PM »
Just checking - I'm hoping you're restricting this to one topic per author, not per title? There's a situation on a certain other forum where an author/imprint will go into the promo section and bump about 15-20 books every week, filling the first page.

If they can all be merged into a single topic per author, that would be great.

ThumbsUp3

Yes, thats exactly what I'm saying, unless there a backlash and we decide something else. I found all those regularly bumped book posts extremely annoying.

So 1 thread per author. Each new book can be added whenever, but booting the thread should have a new title, and only be once a week. Older books should cycle weekly if no new books are added. Just means adding a post, and then modifying the first post subject.

If an author with a very large catalog wants to have series threads, it can be discussed. But I'm not inclined to allow a trilogy to have a series thread. Something over 6 books perhaps. Deal with it when it comes up, or people make their views known.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 05:36:29 PM by TimothyEllis »
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2018, 05:54:18 PM »
I'd much prefer per-author.  New releases, specials, promos, etc should all be under the one name.

The following users thanked this post: David VanDyke

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2018, 06:20:41 PM »
Simon, I took the liberty of editing your title. Establishing a trend if you will, which might become a rule.

[Author Name] thread title. If the title changes, the [ ] part doesn't.

Part of the idea is to differentiate between author members posting about their own books, and anyone else posting about someone else's books. 

Just an idea for now. Maybe people can comment on it.

BrianDHoward

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2018, 02:57:20 AM »
This all sounds good to me.

Please make this post sticky so it doesn't get buried in the next hour or so.... :-)

Brian D Howard | Blog

guest14

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2018, 02:59:05 AM »
This all sounds good to me.

Please make this post sticky so it doesn't get buried in the next hour or so.... :-)

hahahahaha!

Nom de Plume

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2018, 04:19:33 AM »
Pen names?  I'm writing in two different genres.
"When I had to write it, then it would be the only thing to do and there would be no choice." -Hemingway

Maggie Ann

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2018, 07:04:21 AM »
I'm currently in a 99c promo (N/L exchange) for cozy mysteries. Usually the promos are run by different people and sometimes I'm in two different promos in a month. Will that be one thread per promo or will it be the same as for a trilogy?

Also, can I promote signups for these promos? Fresh faces are always welcome.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2018, 11:36:38 AM »
One thread per pen name, with the pen name in [].

I'm currently in a 99c promo (N/L exchange) for cozy mysteries. Usually the promos are run by different people and sometimes I'm in two different promos in a month. Will that be one thread per promo or will it be the same as for a trilogy?

If the promo is a regular, then create a thread for it using the promo name in the []. Anyone else in the same promo can use the same thread.

Signups can go in Secret Author Business.

The following users thanked this post: Nom de Plume

Maggie Ann

« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2018, 11:54:52 AM »
One thread per pen name, with the pen name in [].

If the promo is a regular, then create a thread for it using the promo name in the []. Anyone else in the same promo can use the same thread.

Signups can go in Secret Author Business.

Thanks, Tim.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2018, 03:53:36 PM »

Authors may boost their thread once a week, but preferably with a new Original Post Heading each time. (To keep from always seeing the same thing all the time.)

I just want to be sure I understand this correctly.  When you say we can post anything new at any time, you're referring to modifying pre-existing posts, right?  But new posts can't be made more than once a week.  Correct?

Also, what about responses to other members?  Any exceptions to the once-a-week rule for those instances?
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2018, 04:16:12 PM »

I just want to be sure I understand this correctly.  When you say we can post anything new at any time, you're referring to modifying pre-existing posts, right?  But new posts can't be made more than once a week.  Correct?

Also, what about responses to other members?  Any exceptions to the once-a-week rule for those instances?

Chat and answer posted question, no problems.

Modify existing posts, no problems.

New release, special, or promo, no problems. Just change the first post subject each time.

Boosting because of crickets, once a week, with a new first post subject each time. So use a different existing book or something to vary up the posts, so people dont get sick of seeing them.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2018, 04:29:06 PM »

Chat and answer posted question, no problems.

Modify existing posts, no problems.

New release, special, or promo, no problems. Just change the first post subject each time.

Boosting because of crickets, once a week, with a new first post subject each time. So use a different existing book or something to vary up the posts, so people dont get sick of seeing them.

Okay.  I think I got it.   :Tup2:
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2018, 04:51:25 AM »
I'm about to post a promo but, since most promos last a week or less, that means I can only post it the one time. There are nearly 30 different authors in the promo but I haven't seen any of them here. Except for me, of course. That means the post will most likely not get bumped and will quickly sink into oblivion.

:help

ketadiablo

• Tag Line unlocked
  • http://AuthorKetaDiablo.com
    • Author Keta Diablo
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 05:41:04 PM »
Thanks for the opportunity, I do hope I've understood correctly!   :dance:  (Oh, I love the dancing banana!)

writtentales

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2020, 05:30:34 PM »
I am a bit confused as I am scrolling through this section.  If I have more than one book to share, is that just one post?  If yes, what is the Title?

Example. I publish a book this week called "Nov 5th, The Day."

Then in a month, I publish a new book to share and call it "Wow, Hell of a Month."

Two different books.  So to post these here, do both reply to the same heading?  But then, if I want to run a promo on Book 1 and later on Book 2, I can see it getting confusing? Or is this how it should work?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2020, 05:43:42 PM »
You post the first time with whatever is current, or however you want to start the thread.

Next time you post a new post as a reply.

Then you go back to the first post, hit the Modify key, change the title, and Post.

The thread title gets updated, and the current post is on the end.

You do that every time you post. The thread gets longer, and the title changes every time. But all your posts on your own work are in the same place.

The following users thanked this post: sliderule

writtentales

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2020, 05:46:08 PM »
Got it.  You can change the title.  Makes sense.  Did not know it appended and retained history like that.  Thank you.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2020, 05:52:39 PM »
You can change the body of the first post, but most people don't.

You add a new post, and change the title on the first one.

If you do a summary post first though, normally you'll update that as you change the title.