Author Topic: Written Word Media launches Reader Reach ads  (Read 6528 times)

alhawke

Written Word Media launches Reader Reach ads
« on: September 17, 2021, 06:48:12 AM »
Got this in my email box today. Written Word Media--you know, the folks behind Bargain/Free Booksy, Red Feather Romance, and NewInBooks--have just launched a new ad service. It's $150, pricey, but sends out Facebook and Instagram ads based on your book. Basically, they have a team that runs ads for you. The duration is 3-5 days.

I'm always a sucker for new ways to promote. I signed up in 30min Grin. This company has done very well for me and I haven't dipped my toes yet in Facebook. I'm excited to grab the attention of new readers. And I'm launching a new book.

The disadvantages I see so far is duration, cost, and ?effectiveness (of course). All promotions I've done with Facebook in past, newsletter anyway, have been for nothing. But I trust this company and I think if anyone, aside from BookBub, could do this successfully, they could. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm running it at the tail of my newsletter promos hoping for ... well, a sales tail.

The following users thanked this post: R. C., idontknowyet

PaulineMRoss

Re: Written Word Media launches Reader Reach ads
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2021, 08:38:48 AM »
I signed up for this in conjunction with a FreeBooksy, not realising it was a brand new deal. I hate FB ads with a passion, so I was very happy to pay someone else to set them up for me. So far I can say that they definitely generated more free downloads than expected in the days after the Freebooksy ran, and there's been a spike in revenue, too. I'm not close to covering the cost, but then it's only been a week, so it may yet pay for itself. ETA: the advertised book was one of my epic fantasies which hasn't been promoted for about three years, so expectations were low!

Writing epic fantasy as Pauline M Ross; writing Regency romance as Mary Kingswood
Bookbub score: 16 for 93

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet, alhawke

alhawke

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2021, 09:00:09 AM »
I got their email this am, but they might have been sending it out as "new" in waves to different subscribers. When I applied, the next week or so was already booked.
Good news regarding your extra sales. Hope you have more!
I'm crossing my fingers.

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

idontknowyet

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2021, 09:59:09 AM »
I signed up to try it. I hate facebook ads.

LilyBLily

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2021, 10:20:29 AM »
It's tempting...but they don't do women's fiction ads. I also hesitate because if I spent $150 on a Facebook ad in 3-5 days I'd be freaking out.

Funny. I used to spend upwards of $500 a month on AMS ads before they fell apart. Always profitable, too. What the heck happened? Amazon's fault or mine? I'll never be sure.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2021, 11:21:49 AM »
Two things I don't like about Freebooksy is that they are very expensive and they make you rewrite your book description. If they are going to set up the Facebook ad, they should, being the experts, write the ad themselves. Nevertheless, I have not done any advertising for several months so I had extra money in my account. The temptation was too much to resist.

My ad will start on 9/23. I chose the book that, without advertising, has the most free downloads.

Fingers crossed, candles lit.

idontknowyet

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2021, 11:23:33 AM »
We're on the same day Maggie Ann.

Can you choose something close? LilyBLily I write crossover wf and sweet romance so i just picked sweet romance.

LilyBLily

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2021, 12:07:37 PM »
I spent an hour dummying up my own sweet romance ad in Canva, completely stealing the examples on Written Word--although, of course, using my own images. Maybe I'll actually run  a FB ad.

If it's not going to be Written Word's text all the way, I doubt if they will improve on my pitiful ad copy. It took me years to realize I'd written a "best friend's brother" romance--basic proof I do not think like a marketer.

Today's free seminar with Bryan Cohen at the end offered a complete package of cover, keywords, categories, and blurb for (discounted) just under $700. It's not a bad deal considering you get a brand new cover out of it and Bryan's people do know how to write ad copy. I didn't bite on that one, either.

The following users thanked this post: alhawke

alhawke

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2021, 06:08:23 AM »
Bryan Cohen, huh? $700 is steep, unless he delivers. But I'm sure his ad group can make a better ad than me. I bookmarked it for possible future consideration. Thanks for the tip!

LilyBLily

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2021, 09:46:14 AM »
Bryan Cohen, huh? $700 is steep, unless he delivers. But I'm sure his ad group can make a better ad than me. I bookmarked it for possible future consideration. Thanks for the tip!

I suspect he charges more sometimes.

ashleycapes

• Short Novel unlocked
  • My neighbors think my name is Emily Goldfinch
    • Website
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2021, 05:47:11 PM »
I'm curious too - haven't taken the dive yet, so keen to see any results folks might like to share (if so inclined) :)

Ashley Capes | website

Crystal

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 04:54:01 AM »
For a cover, a blurb, and and AMS campaign, $700 is a solid deal. Assuming the cover is well done, of course.

Though a one-month turnaround is outrageous for a $300 blurb. If I'm paying $300, I want that blurb in a week (two max). A month is an eternity in indie publishing.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 04:57:06 AM by Crystal »

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

LilyBLily

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 06:34:16 AM »
For a cover, a blurb, and and AMS campaign, $700 is a solid deal. Assuming the cover is well done, of course.

Though a one-month turnaround is outrageous for a $300 blurb. If I'm paying $300, I want that blurb in a week (two max). A month is an eternity in indie publishing.

What we want and need isn't what these services suppliers want and need. Bryan said there were over 300 people tuning in to the webinar. That number will increase with the people who didn't attend but who get the recording. Assuming the event was a success, the people who work for him will have a big stack of orders to get through.

Crystal

« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 09:44:52 AM »
So what?

His business is his business. If he has too much demand to keep up, he should hire more people. It's not really my job, as a client, to worry about his business.

Just as it's not his job, as a service provider, to worry about the other intricacies of my business. He offers what he offers. I agree it works for me or not. Maybe I counter or we negotiate. Maybe not. It's not his problem if I want a blurb in a week. Just as it's not my problem if he has too many orders. As long as we all agree to the terms and deliver on them.

I don't know the guy or the webinar. I found the site via Google and I'm speaking generally. That's just too much to pay for a one-month turnaround. If the turnaround is usually two weeks, okay, but a month is just not a good deal for $300.

If other people think otherwise, then obviously they can buy the blurbs, and everyone is happy. But I'll continue to feel that price is too much for that speed.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, LilyBLily

idontknowyet

« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2021, 01:03:07 AM »
my ad started today thought it started tomorrow oh well.

So far zero changes! Will keep everyone updated

The following users thanked this post: ashleycapes

LilyBLily

« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2021, 01:24:04 AM »
So what?

His business is his business. If he has too much demand to keep up, he should hire more people. It's not really my job, as a client, to worry about his business.

Just as it's not his job, as a service provider, to worry about the other intricacies of my business. He offers what he offers. I agree it works for me or not. Maybe I counter or we negotiate. Maybe not. It's not his problem if I want a blurb in a week. Just as it's not my problem if he has too many orders. As long as we all agree to the terms and deliver on them.

I don't know the guy or the webinar. I found the site via Google and I'm speaking generally. That's just too much to pay for a one-month turnaround. If the turnaround is usually two weeks, okay, but a month is just not a good deal for $300.

If other people think otherwise, then obviously they can buy the blurbs, and everyone is happy. But I'll continue to feel that price is too much for that speed.

I doubt his potential customers are even thinking about turnaround. They're paying for hand-holding when at the beginning of an indie career or for credible expertise because they've got a bunch of books out that aren't selling.

I think it's another instance of buying hope by putting all one's trust in someone else. I must have turned off the webinar before he got to how long it takes.     

LilyBLily

« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2021, 01:30:30 AM »
I almost signed up for one of these new ads, and then in the process I noticed that Amazon somehow added all my Author Central copy to my blurb. With no spaces between sentences, of course. Rather than talk to an obtuse customer service rep, I've gone in and manually changed it back, but obviously I don't want to commit to advertise this book until the problem is resolved.

PJ Post

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2021, 02:01:39 AM »
If I'm paying $300, I want that blurb in a week (two max).

Holy-smokes Batgirl!

People may that much for blurbs? Jesus...

I'll do it for $200, and have it back, critiqued, edited and ready to go in one week. I'll even throw in a log line and an AMS pitch. Hell, I'll even give you A/B versions for testing.

Crystal

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2021, 03:08:34 AM »
I've paid for blurbs before though never close to $300. I would pay $150 because I hate writing blurbs (who doesn't) but it would be an impulse buy, so I wouldn't feel tempted if I had to wait a month.

I'm not sure any of the blurbs I bought were worth it. The only really great one was smaller tweaks on the rough draft blurb I sent, but the blurb writer wouldn't let me pay because she said she didn't change enough. (I've had other blurb revisions with minimal changes where the writer did take my money).

I would say $150 is fair for a great, fast blurb, but of course, these things are subjective. IME most not by the author blurbs read a little stiff.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
  • "Sooner barbarity than boredom." - T. Gautier
    • R C Ducantlin - Writer of Stories
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2021, 03:10:36 AM »
Back to the subject line... My Written Word Reader Reach ad runs tomorrow.  I'll let you know the results.

R.C.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2021, 03:19:42 AM »
Back to the subject line... My Written Word Reader Reach ad runs tomorrow.  I'll let you know the results.

R.C.

Me, too.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2021, 03:39:50 AM »
As a side-bar...

One of the reasons I decided to splurge is the good support from Written Word Media. When I reported less than stellar results, WWM refunded the ad fee. Not a credit, a full refund. Quality people running the show over there.

R.C.

alhawke

« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2021, 05:35:32 AM »
Mine runs now. I'll let you know (but I cheated by adding another promo). If I can sift through any meaningful stats, I'll share it with you.

The following users thanked this post: ashleycapes

idontknowyet

« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2021, 09:28:25 AM »
The day isn't over, but I havent seen any noticeable sales from this promo. I'm hoping it works it way up. Otherwise this was a huge waste of money.

LilyBLily

« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »
Thanks for taking the risk and reporting. My foray into Google ads has been a huge waste of money so far, too.

idontknowyet

« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2021, 01:32:15 AM »
update day 2 morning - nada on top of nada

Maggie Ann

« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2021, 01:53:10 AM »
Six freeloads so far for Amazon. D2D will report today's stats tomorrow. I'm hoping for at least 300 downloads across the board. So far, it's a slightly better than average the for this book.

idontknowyet

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2021, 01:54:28 AM »
I should report my book is full price no discounting.

PJ Post

« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2021, 02:54:56 AM »
I would say $150 is fair for a great, fast blurb, but of course, these things are subjective.

$150 for the win.

Includes logline, AMS copy and one week turn around.

Any takers?

grint

___

Seriously, is this something many writers would want?

idontknowyet

« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2021, 03:12:30 AM »
do you provide guarantees your work will increase our conversions?  grint

Though i hate blurbs so much im tempted to try something

Anarchist

« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2021, 03:16:40 AM »
I enjoy writing blurbs and descriptions. For books' pages on Amazon, for email promos, for ads, etc.

No one knows my books better than me, and no one knows how to sell them more effectively.
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

Crystal

« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2021, 03:53:15 AM »
How much do I have to provide?

That's usually the issue with these things. By the time I provide the info for the blurb, I've done enough work to write the blurb. If I can throw a manuscript and cover at you, or even a cover and a rambling list of tropes, themes, tone, character traits...

That's a lot more appealing.

PJ Post

« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2021, 04:07:28 AM »
How much do I have to provide?

That's usually the issue with these things. By the time I provide the info for the blurb, I've done enough work to write the blurb. If I can throw a manuscript and cover at you, or even a cover and a rambling list of tropes, themes, tone, character traits...

That's a lot more appealing.

It's not about providing the information, it's about providing the right information, or put another way, it's about asking the right questions. It's not necessary to read more than the opening chapter to get a feel for the tone and style.

With a proper questionnaire and some authorial honesty, it doesn't take all that long to get the necessary information - seriously, like minutes.

do you provide guarantees your work will increase our conversions?  grint

No one can guarantee anything, but yeah, I think a good blurb - not even a great one - will get people to click, either to buy or to read the sample.

Send me some book info on a first in series that's underperforming and let's see if I can help you.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2021, 08:48:52 AM »
They said I could request an example of my ad. They sent it to me, but it is protected so I can't post it here.

It's an excerpt from a five-star review, "entertaining, clean, historical romance," and a "learn more" button. My cover is set against a field of flowers.

Here's the cover.

idontknowyet

« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2021, 11:24:07 AM »
We're not quite at the end of day 2 but close. So far I'm at the worst sales day I've EVER had. Joy.

The following users thanked this post: R. C.

LilyBLily

« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2021, 12:13:44 PM »
We're not quite at the end of day 2 but close. So far I'm at the worst sales day I've EVER had. Joy.

Oh, dear. Maybe the weekend will turn the tide.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2021, 10:16:46 PM »

Yeah, after day one, I have gained exactly: Nada.

R.C.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2021, 01:24:18 AM »
Day One

52 Freeloads
2   Book 2
2   Book 3

Nothing through D2D

idontknowyet

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2021, 04:35:51 AM »
Update morning 3 - zero sales!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 07:40:48 AM by idontknowyet »

Marti Talbott

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2021, 09:32:59 AM »

Hope it gets better overnight. I did a regular ad with them last month, only gave away 600 free books with little or no follow through. I think I've over-promoted that book, or their reader list isn't attracting new readers.
Read The Swindler, a historical romance available at:
Amazon, Apple, Google Play, Kobo & Nook
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08QG5K23

Maggie Ann

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2021, 09:52:42 AM »

Hope it gets better overnight. I did a regular ad with them last month, only gave away 600 free books with little or no follow through. I think I've over-promoted that book, or their reader list isn't attracting new readers.

According to my dashboard on WWM, I haven't done a promo with them for two years and I haven't done a Freebooksy on The Brave Heart since 11/29/18. So, I shouldn't be oversaturated in any case. I haven't been doing promotions with any service and I stopped doing promos with WWM because they are too expensive for the results, at least in my case.

Of course, they couldn't include the audio in the ad, but I was hoping to sell at least a few audiobooks through whispersync. We'll see. There's still time.

Did anybody ask what is their criteria for an ad to run for the full five days

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2021, 11:12:20 AM »
Thank you all for sharing the results, but I think I'll stay with Fussy Librarian.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

idontknowyet

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2021, 11:21:14 AM »
Thank you all for sharing the results, but I think I'll stay with Fussy Librarian.

Fussy Librarian for their regular promos is great.

idontknowyet

« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2021, 11:21:55 AM »
Zero sales almost the end of day 3.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2021, 12:15:20 PM »

Fussy Librarian for their regular promos is great.

I prefer them too, but I want to wait a little while more before I schedule them.

LilyBLily

« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2021, 01:46:30 PM »
Thanks for the info. You just saved me $150. :HB

Pemry Janes

« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2021, 04:05:59 PM »
Zero sales almost the end of day 3.
Thank you for trying. And without any feedback, it is hard to say the reason why.

Did you at least get a preview of what the ad looked like?
Genre: Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: idontknowyet

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2021, 10:02:13 PM »
Rolling into day three. Two day sales total: 1

R.C.

notthatamanda

« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2021, 10:35:06 PM »
Sorry you guys are having such poor results.

R. C.

• Epic Novel unlocked
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2021, 11:02:37 PM »
Sorry you guys are having such poor results.

Nothing ventured...  Life is one long learning curve.

R.C.