Author Topic: What movie did you recently watch?  (Read 109447 times)

guest153

Re: What movie did you recently watch?
« Reply #250 on: January 14, 2019, 04:48:44 PM »
I teach a class on Japanese film, so I'm watching (and rewatching) a lot of those lately. Just watched this one yesterday, showing it to my class this week:

It's directed by Hirokazu Koreeda, he's been making a lot of headlines lately since his latest film, Shoplifters, has won all sorts of awards on the festival circuit. Like the title says, it's about the afterlife, except when you die, you go to a processing center for one week where counselors help you select the best moment from your life, and that moment will be what you live in for the rest of eternity. It can be a bit slow, but it's really good.

As for the theater, last movie I saw there was Venom.

It was entertaining. Far from the best superhero movie, but also far from the worst. Probably on the same level as the lower-tier Marvel films, but still better than anything DC has put out recently that wasn't Aquaman or Wonder Woman.

cecilia_writer

« Reply #251 on: January 14, 2019, 08:03:28 PM »
...Burn After Reading, which was supposed to be hilarious but I didn't find even mildly amusing...

Same here.  For a long time, I thought I was the only one who didn't "get it."  Nice to see someone else with the same opinion.   :cheers

Fortunately I often go to the cinema with my younger son, who has a similar sense of humour to mine, so at least I know I'm not the only one who didn't find The Favourite as funny as Airplane [one of the UK film critics did].
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

PJ Post

« Reply #252 on: January 21, 2019, 05:49:11 AM »
So I finally got around to watching this...

I read that it was more like Han's Wookieepedia page than a movie - and they were right. It was a bad movie, never mind a bad Star Wars movie...and insulting to boot. It's no wonder the box office tanked. Someone needs to tell Disney that at some point, they're going to have to actually tell a story, preferably a new one. Flashy Easter eggs and pseudo-fan fiction are not movies.

Also...

Well acted, but just another Indie movie where two people wander around, and, while talking about nothing, intentionally (and annoyingly) avoid certain specifics in order to create drama and tension - because there's no story.

The movie looks good, but most movies look good these days. That's not enough. But evens still, as shallow as it was...it wasn't bad.

However...

It's not an original story by any means, but it's got some new twists on the trope. The story is tight and focused, and much better than average these days.

:tup3b

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

guest153

« Reply #253 on: January 21, 2019, 08:41:06 AM »
Showed this movie to my students for our class discussion this week:

It's the Japanese remake of Clint Eastwood's Unforgiven (Japanese title is Yurusarezaru Mono), set in Hokkaido in the late 1800s with Ken Watanabe in the Will Munny role. They did a really amazing job of adapting the story to Meiji-era Japan and even threw in some stuff about the Japanese treatment of the Ainu people. I'm really looking forward to the class discussion for this one.

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #254 on: January 22, 2019, 03:57:47 AM »

I thought about Solo when I saw it appear on Netflix the other day, but realized that I honestly just don't care after they made Han Solo a total loser in... whatever Star Wars movie that was a while back.

So I re-watched They Live and Society instead, which are two movies that are probably more relevant today than they were in the 80s.

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

PJ Post

« Reply #255 on: January 22, 2019, 08:07:57 AM »
Spoiler: ShowHide

Anarchist

« Reply #256 on: January 24, 2019, 10:12:48 AM »

I read that it was more like Han's Wookieepedia page than a movie - and they were right. It was a bad movie, never mind a bad Star Wars movie...and insulting to boot. It's no wonder the box office tanked. Someone needs to tell Disney that at some point, they're going to have to actually tell a story, preferably a new one. Flashy Easter eggs and pseudo-fan fiction are not movies.

Thanks for saving me two hours (and change). I was debating watching it. The debate is now over. ;)

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

APP

« Reply #257 on: January 24, 2019, 11:47:47 AM »
Solo wasn't that great, but I still enjoyed it. I look upon such movies as Tongue & Cheek.

I also enjoyed "Close", which I wouldn't have seen had PJ Post not recommended it

Maggie Ann

« Reply #258 on: January 24, 2019, 01:24:37 PM »
Solo wasn't that great, but I still enjoyed it. I look upon such movies as Tongue & Cheek.

I also enjoyed "Close", which I wouldn't have seen had PJ Post not recommended it

I agree about Solo. I had to not think of him as the one and only Han Solo. That made it easier to watch. Woody Harrelson was very good. It was okay as a backstory.

Of all the new Star Wars movies, I liked Rogue One the best. There was a definite connection between it and New Hope and it felt like it belonged.

Lysmata Debelius

« Reply #259 on: January 24, 2019, 02:09:14 PM »

I watched Bumblebee yesterday. I enjoyed it. You have to sort of switch off a part of your brain (the bit that goes "but why?") but the story is well tole and the characters appealing.

APP

« Reply #260 on: January 25, 2019, 05:51:22 AM »

I agree about Solo. I had to not think of him as the one and only Han Solo. That made it easier to watch. Woody Harrelson was very good. It was okay as a backstory.

Woody Harrelson was great. IMO: Without him, the movie wouldn't have had the necessary punch

Maggie Ann

« Reply #261 on: January 25, 2019, 06:31:33 AM »

Woody Harrelson was great. IMO: Without him, the movie wouldn't have had the necessary punch

:tup3b

guest1038

« Reply #262 on: January 25, 2019, 08:12:36 PM »
After watching A Quiet Place and BirdBox I've decided to write a series of novels where if you smell the monster you die. Then another series where you brutally murder others if you taste anything the monster touched.

No, better yet, a story about a substance the military's created that's so deadly you die just by uttering its name, or worse you're instantly killed once you even start talking abou

The following users thanked this post: angela, OfficialEthanJ

OfficialEthanJ

« Reply #263 on: January 27, 2019, 09:02:15 AM »
1 downvote for "Close". The director seemed very interested in the cinematography (well, somebody was, anyway) but the rest fell flat for me. Diff'rent strokes, YMMV, IANAL, etc.

Anarchist

« Reply #264 on: January 28, 2019, 04:08:17 AM »
Saw this last night...

A dark story. Macabre even. But it pulls you in. It's directed by Tom Tykwer whose films have a unique feel. The visuals of Perfume are awesome.

Rating: 9/10.

Perfume: A Story Of A Murderer is currently available on Amazon Prime.

"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

The following users thanked this post: Rosie Scott

Maggie Ann

« Reply #265 on: January 28, 2019, 05:43:23 AM »
Saw this last night...

A dark story. Macabre even. But it pulls you in. It's directed by Tom Tykwer whose films have a unique feel. The visuals of Perfume are awesome.

Rating: 9/10.

Perfume: A Story Of A Murderer is currently available on Amazon Prime.

I do so hate to miss an Alan Rickman movie, but I know I couldn't handle the macabre aspects of it.

APP

« Reply #266 on: January 28, 2019, 05:53:56 AM »
Netflix puts out some excellent movies, but they also put out some horrible ones.

Last night, I watched a Netflix movie call Spectral. This is a military adventure set in the very near future. It takes place in Eastern Europe--with some sci-fi overtones. I found it to be excellent.

sliderule

« Reply #267 on: January 31, 2019, 10:28:03 PM »
The Limehouse Golem, starring Bill Nighy.

I was sold at Bill Nighy.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #268 on: February 01, 2019, 01:18:57 AM »
Night before last, I watched Jersey Boys. That's my era and I'm from NJ. I smiled just as much as when I watched it the first time.

Last night, I watched Chu Chu and the Philly Flash with Alan Arkin and Carol Burnett, 1981 I think. Great cast all around. It's just a favorite of mine.

PJ Post

« Reply #269 on: February 10, 2019, 01:01:16 AM »
This movie...

Sucks. A lot.

The trailer IS NOT the movie. It's a perfect example of a story not knowing what it is. This movie is drunk.

Is it a heist/caper film? A dark-underbelly political thriller? The exploration of a failing family dynasty? An exposé of urban poverty and gang violence? A homage to dark 70's dramas? A feel-good feminist empowerment story? Sort of, yeah, but no, not really...

It's so all over the place as to make zero sense. The writing is terrible, the pacing is bad - and the tone couldn't have been more consistently morose if it was directed by Zack Snyder. Oh...and any attempt at being socially relevant (woke) fails miserably because the characters are about as cliché as humanly possible. The film relies heavily on either the actor's previous roles, as was the case with Liam Neisen, or audience expectations for the grossly stereotypical character types presented, to fill in their back stories. Viola Davis...yes, THAT Viola Davis, would have been right at home saying, "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." She is so flat, wooden and single note that we have no choice but to blame the director, who is also responsible for how hamfistedly predictable the movie is. The scenes feel like they've been lifted from other, really good movies and rearranged into this f*cking mess. Yo...directors: before you go all Kubrik on our ass with camera angles and lighting and other clever sh*t, put together a decent story. K? K?? Guardians did it - twice!

This movie pissed me off because the premise sounded so cool. It promised one thing, but gave me something else, something I didn't want. (marketing tip)

AND...AND...they hurt a dog. Duh fuque?

:rant

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, Fast Typist

Anarchist

« Reply #270 on: February 11, 2019, 02:27:53 AM »
Saw this last night...

Great cast. Paul Rudd has so much charisma that it's impossible to dislike him. Evangeline Lilly owned her role. And the rest of the cast, from Michael Douglas and Laurence Fishburne to Michael Pena and Randall Park, totally chewed through their scenes.

The movie's a little corny, but offers lots of terrific action sequences and tons of laughs.

Rating: 8/10.

Disclaimer: I like most of the Marvel movies.

Ant-Man and The Wasp is currently available on Netflix.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #271 on: February 11, 2019, 03:06:11 AM »
I started to watch The Last Laugh with Chevy Chase and Richard Dreyfuss. CC was a theatrical agent and RD was his client until he quit to become a podiatrist. They meet up in assisted living and decide to go back into show business together. I quit about halfway through.

What is it with these movies about old people getting a do-over? The Quartet (Maggie Smith and Pauline Collins saved that one but just barely), The Kaminsky Method, another one with Michael Douglas and Diane Keaton.

I think I'll try Ant Man and the Wasp. Or maybe I'll cleanse my palate with Rogue One mentioned on another thread.

Anarchist

« Reply #272 on: February 11, 2019, 03:29:39 AM »
I think I'll try Ant Man and the Wasp.

For what it's worth, it's helpful to have watched the first film (Ant-Man) beforehand. Unfortunately, Ant-Man not available on Netflix.

The following users thanked this post: Maggie Ann

Vijaya

« Reply #273 on: February 11, 2019, 04:16:22 AM »
Two beautiful films: The Least of These (about missionary Graham Staines) and Peter Jackson's WWI restored footage (from the Imperial museum) with narration by the veterans themselves. Stunning. Moving. Brilliant.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Maggie Ann

« Reply #274 on: February 11, 2019, 05:30:49 AM »

For what it's worth, it's helpful to have watched the first film (Ant-Man) beforehand. Unfortunately, Ant-Man not available on Netflix.

I can rent Ant-Man from Amazon for $2.99. No sense watching the second one if I don't know what's going on.

Two beautiful films: The Least of These (about missionary Graham Staines) and Peter Jackson's WWI restored footage (from the Imperial museum) with narration by the veterans themselves. Stunning. Moving. Brilliant.

That Peter Jackson film sounds good. What is the name?

guest957

« Reply #275 on: February 11, 2019, 05:46:07 AM »
Watched A Walk Among the Tombstones last night. Liam Neeson was good, but most of the cast came across as amateurish. Two stars out of five.

APP

« Reply #276 on: February 11, 2019, 05:52:12 AM »

Paul Rudd has so much charisma that it's impossible to dislike him. Evangeline Lilly owned her role. And the rest of the cast, from Michael Douglas and Laurence Fishburne to Michael Pena and Randall Park, totally chewed through their scenes.

Though I haven't seen Ant Man, I was able to easily follow the story line of Ant Man and the Wasp--and I quite enjoyed it. The cast was excellent.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #277 on: February 11, 2019, 06:46:52 AM »

I'm pretty sure she's referring to They Shall Not Grow Old.  It really is an amazing piece of restoration by Jackson.  He cleaned up the lines and spots, slowed the speed down to normal, colorized it, used lip readers to figure out what the men were saying, and then used voice actors to provide the voices.  The background narration is provided by audio recordings made of actual veterans during the 1960s and 1970s.  Added sound effects, etc.  Really incredible stuff.

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Maggie Ann

« Reply #278 on: February 11, 2019, 09:08:42 AM »

I'm pretty sure she's referring to They Shall Not Grow Old.  It really is an amazing piece of restoration by Jackson.  He cleaned up the lines and spots, slowed the speed down to normal, colorized it, used lip readers to figure out what the men were saying, and then used voice actors to provide the voices.  The background narration is provided by audio recordings made of actual veterans during the 1960s and 1970s.  Added sound effects, etc.  Really incredible stuff.

It's playing not too far from me but only showing after 10pm. Piffle. I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. The DVD available on Amazon is for Region 2.

Vijaya

« Reply #279 on: February 11, 2019, 11:45:36 AM »
Thanks Jeff.

MaggieAnn, I don't know why the showings are so limited. I hope they increase their showings. I missed it the first time because of a Dr. appt. and was soooo happy to see it on the big screen. Peter Jackson is such a stickler for details. Loved the commentary after the film.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #280 on: February 11, 2019, 11:53:12 AM »
Loved the commentary after the film.

I haven't seen the whole thing yet--just snippets on the internet--but from what I've read from those who have seen it, the post-credits commentary is an absolute must-see.

I don't know why the showings are so limited.

I think it's a rights issue.  I think it originally aired on the BBC, and there are contract stipulations and whatnot.   :shrug

Maggie Ann

« Reply #281 on: February 11, 2019, 12:14:28 PM »
Thanks Jeff.

MaggieAnn, I don't know why the showings are so limited. I hope they increase their showings. I missed it the first time because of a Dr. appt. and was soooo happy to see it on the big screen. Peter Jackson is such a stickler for details. Loved the commentary after the film.

The theater where it's showing is about 40 minutes away which would be fine for an afternoon viewing.

guest957

« Reply #282 on: February 11, 2019, 01:28:52 PM »

I'm not certain I could get through it. Just the trailer alone has me sniffling.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #283 on: February 11, 2019, 01:58:42 PM »

I'm not certain I could get through it. Just the trailer alone has me sniffling.

Me, too.

Has anyone ever seen My Boy Jack starring Dan Radcliffe as Jack Kipling and David Haig as Rudyard Kipling. RK did everything he could to get his son Jack into the Great War. He was what they called a Jingoist and in the 60's a warmonger and I think now, a hawk. Jack had very bad eyesight and all the services turned him down. Kipling used his influence to get Jack into the Irish Guards when he was only seventeen.

One thing y'all may not know about that war is that it was the cause of the first global drug addiction among wounded soldiers. Morphine was used extensively to reduce pain and it was highly addictive. And it wasn't just Americans who were hooked on morphine. It was the British and French and probably even the Germans.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #284 on: February 16, 2019, 07:19:52 PM »
10 Cloverfield Lane.

I'm really interested in survivalist/post-apocalypse and suchlike, so my daughter gave me this film as it is set in a bunker.

The starting point is when a young woman has been abducted/rescued by a man and taken into his very impressive bunker.

If you ever do find yourself in a post-apocalypse bunker Howard is not the companion you would pick. The young woman and viewer are both left uneasy about what his real motives are.

Plenty of twists and turns and some very scary moments and an unexpected ending.

Not knowing what is really going on is half the thrill of the film, so I won't spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it.

But for fellow survivalists - what a bunker! I want it. But I'd rather choose my own companions!

Writer of Cosy Apocalypse Tales

PJ Post

« Reply #285 on: February 17, 2019, 02:31:06 AM »

+1

Also...

Re-watched this again...

Still...

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist, Kay Inglis

The Doctor

« Reply #286 on: February 17, 2019, 05:44:21 AM »
The last movie I watched was -

Really enjoyed it, despite the critical panning from some quarters of the media. I seem to have also developed a thing for the guy who plays John Deacon.... who turns out was the boy from the first Jurassic Park movie.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

The Doctor

« Reply #287 on: February 17, 2019, 05:46:50 AM »
This movie...

Sucks. A lot.

The trailer IS NOT the movie. It's a perfect example of a story not knowing what it is. This movie is drunk.

Is it a heist/caper film? A dark-underbelly political thriller? The exploration of a failing family dynasty? An exposé of urban poverty and gang violence? A homage to dark 70's dramas? A feel-good feminist empowerment story? Sort of, yeah, but no, not really...

It's so all over the place as to make zero sense. The writing is terrible, the pacing is bad - and the tone couldn't have been more consistently morose if it was directed by Zack Snyder. Oh...and any attempt at being socially relevant (woke) fails miserably because the characters are about as cliché as humanly possible. The film relies heavily on either the actor's previous roles, as was the case with Liam Neisen, or audience expectations for the grossly stereotypical character types presented, to fill in their back stories. Viola Davis...yes, THAT Viola Davis, would have been right at home saying, "I don't like sand. It's coarse and rough and irritating and it gets everywhere." She is so flat, wooden and single note that we have no choice but to blame the director, who is also responsible for how hamfistedly predictable the movie is. The scenes feel like they've been lifted from other, really good movies and rearranged into this f*cking mess. Yo...directors: before you go all Kubrik on our ass with camera angles and lighting and other clever sh*t, put together a decent story. K? K?? Guardians did it - twice!

This movie pissed me off because the premise sounded so cool. It promised one thing, but gave me something else, something I didn't want. (marketing tip)

AND...AND...they hurt a dog. Duh fuque?

:rant

Have you seen the original TV series on which the movie was based? I've not, so can't recommend it from experience, but you might enjoy it more than this version.

Genre: Weird Fiction | Science Fiction | Fantasy | Horror |
Gayle Ramage Website

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #288 on: February 22, 2019, 04:09:28 AM »
Hunter-Killer, about a US sub sent to find out what happened to another one that went missing near the coast of Russia.

Not bad, not great, some decent war-pr0n. But it did leave me with one unanswered question.

Do submarines really have pipes running through them that seem to serve no purpose other than to spring a leak when depth-charged? Every submarine movie seems to have them, but it's hard to imagine what legitimate purpose they serve.

Also Harry Potter 5, just because it appeared on Netflix recently. It was pretty boring, to be honest, but perhaps some of that is because I've never seen #3 and #4.

Anarchist

« Reply #289 on: February 22, 2019, 07:54:36 AM »
Recently saw this:

It's being hailed as a masterpiece. I found it boring.

I've enjoyed everything Cuaron has written/directed (starting with Y Tu Mama Tambien). But I disliked Roma. I couldn't connect emotionally with any of the characters.

Rating: 4/10

Roma is currently on Netflix.

Tom Wood

« Reply #290 on: February 22, 2019, 08:36:09 AM »

It has a twisty plot if you're not familiar with the manga/anime, but after a while it reveals all the character relationships and their motivations. The budget is certainly up on the screen, but that might make it a challenge to get enough of a financial return to spawn the sequel they want. Like any science fiction, it requires some suspension of disbelief, so roll with it if you want to have fun. I may go see it again, next time in 3D.

Captain Cranky

« Reply #291 on: February 24, 2019, 04:26:09 PM »
Just watched the Breaker Upperers on Stan (think it's on Netflix too?) and there were quite a few LOL moments. It's a New Zealand film, and has some of the New Zealand quirk that I love, and just a bit of general all-round fun. Kind of reminded me a little of Bridesmaids with the humour, I thoroughly enjoyed it. 8 out of 10  grint

Before that I watched Slumber, which I purposely watched during the day so I wouldn't freak myself out before going to bed, but turns out that wasn't necessary. It was okay, nothing special, pretty average. Honestly I find a lot of horror doesn't do it for me nowadays, I much prefer horror from the 60's to the 80's  :shrug 6 out of 10.

If you dare nothing, then when the day is over nothing is all you will have gained. -Neil Gaiman

Kay Inglis

« Reply #292 on: February 24, 2019, 08:26:57 PM »
First Man: I feel that this was a good film, but I made the mistake of expecting one thing and it was quite different, so this threw me out. I will certainly watch it again.

My expectation was that this would be like Apollo 13 (one of my favourite films) but about the Apollo 11 mission that reached the moon.

In fact it was much more like a biography of Neil Armstrong over his space programme years.

And whereas Apollo 13 – for all the disaster – was a feel-good film, this was really rather sober.

Space flight was made to look like an absolute misery – and maybe it was – a cross between being stuck inside a washing machine on the spin-cycle and in a vacuum cleaner.

And Neil Armstrong not portrayed as very likeable. The relationship with his wife was tense – she didn’t even appear to say goodbye or wish him luck as he set off on his historic moon mission.

Well worth a watch, but to be judged on its own merits – and don’t expect anything up-beat.

Kay Inglis

« Reply #293 on: February 24, 2019, 08:42:36 PM »
Watched this one last night...

Rating: 3/10

Terrible directing. Terrible writing. Terrible acting.

Consider this a PSA.

I'm sure your analysis is fair, but I watched it anyway as I just love Liam Neeson - that wonderful voice!

I have already appraised my OH that Liam Neeson is the only man I would be tempted by - unfaithful in thought, if not deed, anyway.

So I watched the film - twice.

It was actually set up well. But one's credulity was stretched by all the shenanigans in the middle. Then it ended with a bit of a bang - literally.

One for hardcore Liam Neeson fans, perhaps?

Anarchist

« Reply #294 on: February 26, 2019, 07:59:31 AM »
Saw this a few nights ago...

Terrific story, great actors, and wonderful direction.

I didn't know Bradley Cooper was so talented (writing music, singing, directing, etc.). And Lady Gaga has serious acting chops.

Rating: 8/10

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #295 on: February 27, 2019, 02:22:24 AM »
Space flight was made to look like an absolute misery – and maybe it was – a cross between being stuck inside a washing machine on the spin-cycle and in a vacuum cleaner.

Imagine driving in a mini-van for a week with two other guys and having to wash with wet towels, pee out the window, and poop in ziploc bags that you store in a box in the back until you get home. And only being able to go outside for one day half-way through the trip... while wearing SCUBA gear.

That'll give you a pretty good idea of what the Apollo missions were like. Fortunately the astronauts were too busy to worry about the conditions too much... and it was like a luxury vacation compared to Mercury and Gemini.

From what I gather, the space shuttle needed a darn good clean and airing after it got back, too.

The following users thanked this post: Kay Inglis

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2019, 02:31:08 AM »
As for movies, Stan Helsing. Not for any particularly good reason, it just happened to come up in my recommendations on one of the streaming apps on our our Apple TV box.

Had its moments, but overall fairly bad. Maybe a 4/10.

Best part was trying to figure out what movies they were spoofing.

PJ Post

« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2019, 10:32:07 AM »
Stan Helsing reminded me of these two really good parody/satires.

and

:tup3b :tup3b :tup3b :tup3b :tup3b

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #298 on: February 28, 2019, 01:35:03 AM »
I liked Tucker and Dale. I thought Cabin in the Woods was rather so-so, but don't remember enough about it to remember why :).

Watched Kong: Skull Island on Netflix. Not a bad idea but not such a great movie. Again, had it's moments, but fairly forgettable.

Rather like the later Jurassic Park movies but set in the Vietnam era with giant apes and lizards rather than dinosaurs.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #299 on: February 28, 2019, 05:44:16 AM »
I thought Cabin in the Woods was rather so-so, but don't remember enough about it to remember why :).

I felt the same way about it, but it took me a while to figure out why.  Later, I was reading something somewhere about how traditional horror stories are morality tales, and then the pieces started falling into place. 

Spoiler: ShowHide
The movie lampshades--and subverts--the character archetype thing, but it doesn't go into the purpose behind the archetypes, and that purpose is to allow the main character to learn some moral lesson(s) and become a better person for it.  In the movie, everyone dies.  There's no point in any moral lessons because no one has a chance to use any such newfound knowledge.  It's just nihilist and defeatist.  If one or more of the characters had survived and gone on to be wiser people, then the movie would have been much more satisfying, I think.  But that doesn't happen.  There's really no point to the plot at all other than to mock horror tropes, and the more I think about it, the more I think it's just a mean-spirited move on the part of the writers.  It's not a horror movie.  It's an anti-horror movie.

Anyway, just one guy's opinion.