Author Topic: Etiquette of locking a thread  (Read 4516 times)

Lysmata Debelius

Etiquette of locking a thread
« on: October 03, 2018, 03:00:46 AM »
Am I right that we can lock a thread that we've started?
If so, I was wondering what the etiquette is? I've seen so many people complaining about threads in The Other Place becoming endless repeats of less-than-useful comments.

What if, for example, you asked for feedback on something, and you've received as much as you liked and added a "thanks everyone! This was useful. I'll go and work on this cover design a bit more. I'm going to lock this thread now. If you guys want to go on with your discussion of the care and breeding of squirrels, maybe start another thread? :) "

Is that ok? Or is locking a thread going to come across as rude? 

RPatton

Re: Etiquette of locking a thread
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2018, 04:51:57 AM »
Am I right that we can lock a thread that we've started?
If so, I was wondering what the etiquette is? I've seen so many people complaining about threads in The Other Place becoming endless repeats of less-than-useful comments.

What if, for example, you asked for feedback on something, and you've received as much as you liked and added a "thanks everyone! This was useful. I'll go and work on this cover design a bit more. I'm going to lock this thread now. If you guys want to go on with your discussion of the care and breeding of squirrels, maybe start another thread? :) "

Is that ok? Or is locking a thread going to come across as rude?

I think that's a great idea. Then adding a tag of [Answered] could help too.

guest14

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2018, 06:14:10 AM »
I love the idea of locking your own threads. Perhaps we need to develop an etiquette to cover most eventualities. The [ANSWERED] tag is a good one, but it also means when a thread derails you have the means to bring it to a halt, which can be quite effective. I think it will evolve its own etiquette over time. Great improvement though.

Leo

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2018, 06:19:25 AM »
I think the only way to do this is to report it to the moderators - hit the report button - and mention that you want the thread locked.
Post-apocalypse or epic fantasy anyone?
Or perhaps tarot and astrology are more up your alley?

guest14

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2018, 06:26:15 AM »
I think the only way to do this is to report it to the moderators - hit the report button - and mention that you want the thread locked.

Leo, you HAVE an ability to SELF LOCK a thread of your own. That's what we're talking about here.

Leo

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2018, 06:32:43 AM »

Leo, you HAVE an ability to SELF LOCK a thread of your own. That's what we're talking about here.

Thanks Tobias, I didn't know that. I guess it only applies to the member who starts the thread?
Post-apocalypse or epic fantasy anyone?
Or perhaps tarot and astrology are more up your alley?

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2018, 10:12:39 AM »

Thanks Tobias, I didn't know that. I guess it only applies to the member who starts the thread?

Yes. Same person can also delete it at the moment. Although I'm rethinking that.

I would encourage people who ask a question to change the title to reflect it has been answered, or is now closed.

Anyone can modify their own posts. The first one provides the thread header everyone sees, and this can be changed at any time. So if a thread is done, it can be locked, and the heading changed to show its done.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

guest14

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »

Yes. Same person can also delete it at the moment. Although I'm rethinking that.

Difficult one that. On the one side, the post belongs to the OP and on the other, there may be data in there that belongs to anyone who replies.

Yet, if people can't delete their posts then we end up with them being there in perpetuity even if they are dead and useless ones.

However, if you choose to remove the ability to delete, then self-locking a thread will achieve a compromise of sorts.

How that reflects with GDPR, I'm not sure.

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 04:03:07 AM »
Self-locking a thread seems to make each thread-starter into a mini-moderator, able to shut down discussion s/he doesn't like.

Now, someone could of course start a similar thread and continue the discussion--and perhaps that's the best 80% solution possible.

Deleted threads aren't really deleted, anyway, right? They are just moved into the zombie area in locked status, for reference?
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

RPatton

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 09:26:21 AM »
Self-locking a thread seems to make each thread-starter into a mini-moderator, able to shut down discussion s/he doesn't like.

Now, someone could of course start a similar thread and continue the discussion--and perhaps that's the best 80% solution possible.

Deleted threads aren't really deleted, anyway, right? They are just moved into the zombie area in locked status, for reference?

Nope, when you choose to delete your own thread it's unrecoverable.

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 12:47:27 PM »
Perhaps, then, it should rather be moved into the zombie area...
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2018, 02:19:10 PM »
Perhaps, then, it should rather be moved into the zombie area...

Ideally yes. GDPR? Probably no.

Minefield? Definitely.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

guest14

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2018, 04:41:46 PM »
{more thoughts}

I think that if an individual can remove their post entirely then that covers the GDPR - Isn't this what everyone was fighting for over on KBoards?

As for locking their own thread, I don't think that's going to be abused. What's more likely is the question gets derailed, or the discussion doesn't resolve the issue it will get deleted, if it answers the OP and it's of value to others, then it's likely the OP will lock it. If it's ongoing, then it will be left. If it's a waste of space, then it will be deleted by the OP.

If we assume everyone here is a responsible adult and can control themselves sufficiently then we 'should' see threads come and go as their usefulness declines without any rancor or suggestions of misuse.

KSenniaV

« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2018, 09:47:39 AM »

Ooh, I love the wild wild westness going on over here. Posters locking and deleting their own threads? Amazing! I wish proboards had those options. I've seem forums where they have member moderators and each member is a moderator and trustee of the board. Like everyone owns the space equally and are equally responsible for protecting their home.  :clap: :banana-riding-llama-smiley-em :goodpost: :catrun