Author Topic: Revealing how your point of view character looks  (Read 4016 times)

JRTomlin

Revealing how your point of view character looks
« on: February 28, 2020, 03:14:29 PM »
It is easy to say that 'he brushed his blond hair out of his eyes' so some things aren't that hard. But others can be more difficult.

I want to make a point that the main character was very handsome and this isn't something he would think about himself (even if he looked in a mirror which is a device I do not use  grint) So I need to show it in the reactions of other people, but I'm having a bit of a problem. And this is a salient point in things that happen later in the novel.

So the opening scene he walks into an inn and there are people there and they are whatever people I want to put there. Any suggestions on how to show reactions that would indicate his appearance?

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
Re: Revealing how your point of view character looks
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2020, 03:50:08 PM »
 The girls in the inn want selfies with him. That further leads into love affairs, love triangles, and so on.

Looking at him, other men glance into a pocket mirror and comb their hair.

A girl or a dick literally sways to one edge of the chair and blows hot air.

"Yessir," the shopkeeper stands up from the counter and greets the MC with respect.

He goes to the gym in white tee and green shorts and the girl with the crush occupies an adjacent treadmill wearing green tee and white shorts.

A jealous guy always comes around the MC using one excuse or another and crosschecks his physical assets.

A guy of color places his forehand alongside MC and passes jealous remarks.

A witch calls upon MC and gives him an amulet to wear always. She tells him that it will ward off evil eyes.

A jealous officemate says: "Damn, he has come! Now all the ladies will lunch with him instead!"

A jealous colleague remarks: "In order to be a CEO, all you need to be is a 6 foot tall, handsome white male."

JRTomlin

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2020, 04:13:19 PM »
Medieval. No selfies. 😜

Sorry, I shouldnt' assume people know what genre I write. Good ideas for a modern setting though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 04:20:56 PM by JRTomlin »

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2020, 04:33:32 PM »
Medieval. No selfies. 😜

Game of Thrones had Starbucks so why can't medieval times have selfies?   :icon_think:
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

JRTomlin

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2020, 05:24:10 PM »
Because Game of Thrones was fantasy not historical fiction.  :icon_mrgreen:

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2020, 05:27:10 PM »
Because Game of Thrones was fantasy not historical fiction.  :icon_mrgreen:

One can hope that selfies will soon become historical fiction.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

VanessaC

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2020, 07:49:18 PM »
It's a tough one. I think the reactions of other characters, as you've said, will be the key here. To start with, could you have someone say "what's a pretty boy like you doing here?" or "don't want to damage that face of yours" - or something similar (appropriate to the period in question), and have his internal reaction be something along the lines of "oh, not again. i'm nothing special to look at." Or have people stare at him and him wonder what they are looking at?

You might need a few references like that across a few different scenes to get the point across - depending on when it becomes important.

I don't have enough caffeine in me yet today, but I hope some of that made sense and was helpful.

Genre: Fantasy

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2020, 08:09:31 PM »
It's a tough one. I think the reactions of other characters, as you've said, will be the key here. To start with, could you have someone say "what's a pretty boy like you doing here?" or "don't want to damage that face of yours" - or something similar (appropriate to the period in question), and have his internal reaction be something along the lines of "oh, not again. i'm nothing special to look at." Or have people stare at him and him wonder what they are looking at?

:HB

Isn't that one of the signs of a Mary Sue? Attractive character who doesn't thing they are?

That's on my list of "never ever ever do".

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Lynn

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2020, 08:21:42 PM »
Your best bet might be someone who reacts differently and brings the character's attention to the fact that he isn't getting his usual response.

Handsome and pretty people usually know it but don't often think about it. The benefits of being handsome and pretty are scientifically proven. :-) Most people make allowances for them without conscious thought. So that would be something the character expects as normal. They won't notice those benefits.

But a negative reaction, maybe from someone who has had negative experiences with handsome men, will get the character thinking about it.
Don't rush me.

notthatamanda

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2020, 09:23:24 PM »
What's the character's lineage?

I know you said opening scene, but you could have him remember something where his mother said something like "You look just like your father" and the way she said it made him feel horrible, because his father was a wife beater, adulterer, something, but just from the tone, the way she looked at him, or someone else did, it made an impression on him.

Maybe his mother always favored a sibling, there are plenty of ways to make a kid feel like crap and it will take a while for an adult to realize his looks create favorable first impressions when he knows deep inside he is the awful person he always was told he was growing up.

So something like "Hey handsome," or "Buy a girl a drink" or "Twenty pence to go upstairs" (I don't know the phrases for the time period obviously) and he is shocked that anyone would say that to him of all people.

Edit - Okay, my mind took off on this.

Joe entered the tavern. He was thirsty from the long ride and a tall glass of mead was the only thing on his mind.
"Hey Handsome."
Joe heard the words but ignored them. He was busy scanning the room for bar. Then he felt a sharp poke in his shoulder and looked down.
"You raised in a barn or something, I said hi handsome."
"Um," Joe said.
"You want a drink? This way."
She took his hand and he let himself be led across the room.
It wasn't until after he had swallowed a good portion of his drink that he allowed himself to think about it. In the orphanage (I made him an orphan) he was most often called "Ugly Bastard". All the orphans were bastards, obviously, but he was always "Ugly Bastard".  When wench settled into his lap and leaned into kiss his cheek in he understood. He had heard about women like this.
"Half price for you gorgeous," she said.
Joe had just spent his last pence on the mead.
"I've no more money," he said.
"We'll work something out."
"Like what?"
"You can steal me a Starbucks tomorrow." :)
« Last Edit: February 28, 2020, 09:59:05 PM by notthatamanda »

alhawke

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2020, 10:32:38 PM »
I would show other characters becoming nervous at his gaze. Even averting their eyes. Even blushing. Perhaps others giggle or laugh and then quickly turn away when he looks over.

Hopscotch

« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2020, 12:12:35 AM »
I think the reactions of other characters, as you've said, will be the key here....You might need a few references like that across a few different scenes to get the point across - depending on when it becomes important.

VanessaC has the answer, and no need to go beyond that to get your idea across.  Unless it's essential for the story, I think it best not to describe in detail any character - espec the lead character - but leave that the reader's imagination.
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

LilyBLily

« Reply #12 on: February 29, 2020, 01:33:19 AM »
In a medieval setting, people might question if his superlatively handsome face is a sign of being blessed by God or even of being a messenger from God. Also, they might wonder if he is the king, or of high noble rank, because kings are always supposed to be very handsome (and usually are better fed and so look healthier than peasants). I like VanessaC's answers, too, but they are people acting wise with someone, which I suspect in medieval times was not a preferred way of behaving. Sure, if the hero visits a cottage and the witch who has nothing to lose calls him a pretty face, that's credible. But startlingly handsome people usually get extra courtesy, not less. I like the blushing and giggling responses. Also, people might stare.

False modesty isn't going to play if he's really handsome. Not in those pockmarked, missing teeth, goitered, mangy times. 

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
  • Coffee-drinking, insomniac binge writer
    • Al Stevens, Author, Musician
« Reply #13 on: February 29, 2020, 02:00:12 AM »
Assuming it's in third person, it's quite simple. The first paragraph of a scene or chapter can be third person, omniscient narrative before the pov character takes over. You can describe him (and the scene itself) there.

The room was dark. The handsome fellow came in through the rear entrance. Everyone looked up.
   [pov starts here] He took in the room and figured he was safe there...

If it's in the first person, you'll need something like the others have suggested.

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
« Reply #14 on: February 29, 2020, 02:02:18 AM »
Okay, OP, so it's medieval setting. Thanks for clarifying. The witch would still be relevant, I suppose.

Basically human traits like love and jealousy don't change unless in future scientists with help from totalitarian governments surgically remove the brain harmones that release these emotions. That would be good for their vested interests.

Anyway, you are attempting to craft a mirror for the handsome MC using remarks of other characters.

Qualities that accentuate this: sexual attraction, jealousy

Locations where this can happen: inn, farm, neighborhood etc

Sporting events such as archery, gladiatorial combats, and fencing would describe MC's physique through the eyes of spectators. Especially women.

Description of his clothes and hairstyle. Even the most simplest attire looks great on the MC. He attends the village fair and becomes the cynosure of all eyes. Interestingly, he runs into a beautiful woman at the fair and she happens to be the princess in disguise. So, love at first sight.

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2020, 03:47:36 AM »
First person POV?

I usually write in third person, so the woman would notice how handsome he was, then try to push it out of her mind and focus on why she needs to speak to him.

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

JRTomlin

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2020, 03:55:28 AM »
I write third person close. (never use omniscient which is a device I dislike)

No commoner would be likely to speak to him sarcastically. They probably assume that he is of high noble rank, (he is) but I don't think the reader will know that since I don't show their POV. I have thought of having a girl who is sweeping the inn giggle, staring at him, but that doesn't really tell the reader why. 🤔

Later his uncle, the king's brother, might make a comment about being in a battle might mess up his pretty face and it might since it was the norm that knights ended up scarred. In the 1300s and 1400s a knight of high rank was very likely to be scarred and a bit ugly from broken noses etc. War was their business and it was not a pretty business.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 04:14:59 AM by JRTomlin »

notthatamanda

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2020, 04:18:35 AM »
So he is going to get respect because he is noble regardless?

How is the fact that he is good looking but doesn't think so relevant to the story?

I'm curious and it may help us help you figure this out, if you are still looking for help this is.

JRTomlin

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2020, 04:41:44 AM »
I never said he did not know he was handsome. Ever. I think even today most people depend on more than their appearance for respect unless they're models.

Like most attractive people, of course, he knows it. On the battlefield and as a war leader, it doesn't matter. In personal relationships, it does.

notthatamanda

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2020, 05:04:26 AM »
Well I misunderstood your original post then, sorry.

JRTomlin

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2020, 05:06:26 AM »
I see where I gave you the wrong idea. I just meant that I don't think handsome people go around thinking to themselves "I am so handsome" especially if it isn't something that is terrifically important to them. It is more something that they assume. And in his mind him being handsome is nice but not very important in the greater scheme of things.

In the course of the novel, his appearance is not a big plot point, but there are certain points at which it becomes an advantage. Or a disadvantage as it makes him stand out a bit when he may not want to.
« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 05:29:15 AM by JRTomlin »

JRTomlin

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2020, 01:26:46 PM »
I put in a giggling twelve-year-old girl in the inn and a sour comment from his uncle and I think the problem is solved. Now when he is noticeable because of his looks it is established although later I may put one more reference to it later just to be sure.

Amusingly in A Kingdom's Cost, I had an opposite problem and wanted to establish that he wasn't particularly handsome. When he was hit in the face, he worried that his nose was broken because he thought he didn't need to look any worse than he already did.

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2020, 11:28:39 PM »
Looks like I'm too late for the party, but here are some thoughts nevertheless. Of course, everything depends on the plot and story. It could be done very short. "The alewife glanced at his handsome face and smiled." Sounds a bit like the omniscient one, but it's the alewife who thinks that the protagonist is handsome, not the narrator. Or it could be done as a small self-contained scene. Maybe the alewife will flirt with the main character. What will be his reaction? The alewife can be a widow, for example. But what if her husband is alive and here, in this inn? Does it matter for the main character? Is he ready to flirt with a married woman or does he believe that it's the wrong thing to do? This could tell us about his moral values and worldview. Maybe (whatever the main character does) the innkeeper becomes angry? This leads to the conflict. How will the main character resolve it? With words or with fists? Or maybe his single glance will be enough to make the innkeeper afraid? And who said that being handsome is always good? Maybe some old seasoved soldier may say, spitting on the floor, "This guy is too sweety-handsome to be a soldier. I wouldn't rely on him in battle." What would be the main character's reaction? The point is that this scene could tell us about the main character's personality, not just about his appearance.

Just my five kopeks. Hope it helps.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 12:38:48 AM by Dennis Chekalov »

JRTomlin

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2020, 04:41:48 AM »
Thanks, Dennis. Good suggestions.

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2020, 11:40:58 PM »
I write third person close. (never use omniscient which is a device I dislike)
I probably chose the wrong word. The first paragraphs of a scene or chapter can be in the narrator's voice--the same third person voice that says, "I said, "she said,' "it was a dark and stormy night," and such. The first chapter of "Grapes of Wrath," for example. It's not really omniscient because it's not in any character's head.

JRTomlin

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 04:08:13 AM »
You used the correct term. Most of the time, omniscient is not in a character's voice but that of an unseen narrator. :)

Dennis Chekalov

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 04:15:05 AM »
Is it a new series with a new main character or the same trilogy?

Al Stevens

• Medium Novel unlocked
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2020, 04:48:58 AM »
You used the correct term. Most of the time, omniscient is not in a character's voice but that of an unseen narrator. :)
Hmm. It seems every time the term comes up, everyone knows what it means, but they seldom agree. :)

JRTomlin

« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2020, 06:12:54 AM »
Hmm. It seems every time the term comes up, everyone knows what it means, but they seldom agree. :)
It is possible to look it up. 

https://literarydevices.net/omniscient/#:~:text=

Is it a new series with a new main character or the same trilogy?
It is the second book in the trilogy.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 06:14:57 AM by JRTomlin »

j tanner

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 12:42:40 PM »
You could also be more blunt by doing the overheard conversation trick.

"Lord Cheekbones? He's so dreamy."

Lord Cheekbones: "Uh, I'm in the room."

~ blush ~

It would be easy to set up in a busy place like an inn.

JRTomlin

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 12:48:28 PM »
In a historical romance, that would probably work but I don't write romance.

j tanner

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 12:58:32 PM »
Same concept can go in a lot  of non-romance directions. It doesn't even need to be women talking.

"Lord Cheekbones? He's prettier than half the women in here."