Author Topic: Is Ko-fi no longer suitable for authors?  (Read 127 times)

Lynn

Is Ko-fi no longer suitable for authors?
« on: February 10, 2024, 02:49:02 PM »
So I was reading through the updated terms for Ko-fi a couple of days ago and came across the new language defining what they don't want you using the service for.

Terms and Conditions of Use 17th of February 2024
You are prohibited from using the Ko-fi platform, service and any page in connection with any of the following;
Content including but not limited to;
Adult or sexually explicit content including but not limited to:
• Literature, imagery (including illustrative), videos, links to external sites or content containing such material; and

I've cherry-picked portions so I don't have to paste in the entire sections. But "Literature" is what caught my attention.

Anyone know if others are talking about this, and/or if it means what it sounds like it means? Because, as is, it makes me antsy as someone who has written sexually explicit scenes in many of my novels.

Are they becoming unfriendly to authors in general, you think? "Literature" is such a specific work that encompasses an entire swatch of creative art.
Don't rush me.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: Is Ko-fi no longer suitable for authors?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2024, 02:02:45 AM »
They only seem concerned about literature of a certain type. It doesn't seem like a good platform for erotica authors for sure, and probably not for those that use explicit sex in other genres. It's the latter that becomes difficult to be sure about. Do they really intend to get rid of any author who has some explicit scenes? Or are they just concerned about works that are erotic as a whole? The only way to be absolutely sure would be to ask.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter