Author Topic: What movie did you recently watch?  (Read 109452 times)

spin52

Re: What movie did you recently watch?
« Reply #350 on: July 11, 2019, 05:48:06 AM »
The last movie I watched was -

Really enjoyed it, despite the critical panning from some quarters of the media. I seem to have also developed a thing for the guy who plays John Deacon.... who turns out was the boy from the first Jurassic Park movie.

I just saw this. I know, I'm always late to the party. I did enjoy it, although I could see what critics meant about sanitizing parts of Mercury's lifestyle. On the other hand, we don't need to see every detail to get the general idea. I thought Rami Malek was excellent as Mercury and of course, the music was fantastic. 

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

Wonder

« Reply #351 on: July 16, 2019, 05:49:36 AM »
Went to a matinee showing of Crawl. Suprisingly great! I enjoy monster/creature movies, even the cheesy ones, but this one had unusually good pacing and had me jumping out of my seat on the regular.

Wonder

notthatamanda

« Reply #352 on: July 31, 2019, 10:43:30 PM »
The last movie I watched was -

Really enjoyed it, despite the critical panning from some quarters of the media. I seem to have also developed a thing for the guy who plays John Deacon.... who turns out was the boy from the first Jurassic Park movie.

I just saw this. I know, I'm always late to the party. I did enjoy it, although I could see what critics meant about sanitizing parts of Mercury's lifestyle. On the other hand, we don't need to see every detail to get the general idea. I thought Rami Malek was excellent as Mercury and of course, the music was fantastic.
We saw this a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it.  I didn't know about the sanitizing complaints.  How much did people want to see?  When he told the band he was HIV positive and that he just wanted to make as much music as possible in the time he had left, I thought the movie honored that sentiment.  I really enjoyed the sequences where they were composing the songs.

Vijaya

« Reply #353 on: July 31, 2019, 11:55:55 PM »
Went to a matinee showing of Crawl. Suprisingly great! I enjoy monster/creature movies, even the cheesy ones, but this one had unusually good pacing and had me jumping out of my seat on the regular.

Thanks Wonder. My kids want to see Crawl--we live in SC and they go to school in FL so it's right up our alley :) I'm a scaredy cat so on the fence. I still get nightmares and talk and walk about in my sleep...my husband says it's very disturbing.

We all went to see Yesterday and loved the tribute to the Beatles.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Take my memories. I hope you got a big appetite.
« Reply #354 on: August 01, 2019, 02:51:52 PM »
Just a good kick-ass movie ...

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
"The Tales of Garlan" title="The Tales of Garlan"
"Into The Wishing Well" title="Into The Wishing Well"
Dave's Amazon Author page | DGlennCasey.com | TheDailyPainter.com
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

The following users thanked this post: PJ Post

PJ Post

« Reply #355 on: August 02, 2019, 09:56:32 AM »
+1

Sailor Stone

« Reply #356 on: August 03, 2019, 11:18:51 PM »
I just watched First Man on HBO and it was excellent. 

Simon Haynes

« Reply #357 on: August 09, 2019, 02:46:10 AM »
I tried to watch a series called Another Life on Netflix and lasted about 30 mins. (I know it's not a movie, bear with me.)  I mean, they've gathered up half a dozen high schoolers, thrown them on a high tech spaceship and sent them off to bitch and backstab their way towards saving humanity. Ugh. It's not even 'so bad it's funny' bad. It's just flat-out terrible.

I went off to read some IMDB reviews to see whether I was just being picky, but no, it really is that bad.

On the plus side, one of the reviewers suggested 'I am Mother' instead (a low-budget aussie movie also on Netflix), and wow... that's much more like it. Deep, thoughful, tense, moving, clever... highly recommended.

Vijaya

« Reply #358 on: August 09, 2019, 03:49:55 AM »
I am Mother is on my list. I think it's a movie all the family will enjoy. Last weekend we watched Becoming Jane (Austen). Beautiful!

Lynn

« Reply #359 on: August 09, 2019, 05:13:48 AM »
I am Mother was okay. I'm currently on episode  7 of Another Life and it's great. :-)
Don't rush me.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #360 on: August 10, 2019, 02:55:25 AM »
I am Mother was okay. I'm currently on episode  7 of Another Life and it's great. :-)

This is why the same novel gets 1 and 5 star reviews ;-)

Lynn

« Reply #361 on: August 10, 2019, 03:10:45 AM »
No kidding. I read some of the Another Life reviews and wondered if I was even watching the same show. Crazy. :-)

The funny thing is that a lot of the gripes of a lot of the reviewers are the exact reasons I like the show.
Don't rush me.

Simon Haynes

« Reply #362 on: August 10, 2019, 03:51:51 AM »
No kidding. I read some of the Another Life reviews and wondered if I was even watching the same show. Crazy. :-)

The funny thing is that a lot of the gripes of a lot of the reviewers are the exact reasons I like the show.

I'm a huge fan of Buffy, so it's not like I can't watch TV with young 'uns. This one was just too jarring. (There was another show recently with the same problem, and I dumped that too.)

There was an ep of Stargate SG1 where they suggested all kinds of wacky ideas for a fictional TV show based on the actual TV show. One of them was millenials playing the SG1 team, and after a brief clip the real team just went... nope.  I can't watch a show like Another Life without remembering that ep, alas.

Lynn

« Reply #363 on: August 10, 2019, 04:41:39 AM »
I'm a huge fan of Buffy, so it's not like I can't watch TV with young 'uns. This one was just too jarring. (There was another show recently with the same problem, and I dumped that too.)

There was an ep of Stargate SG1 where they suggested all kinds of wacky ideas for a fictional TV show based on the actual TV show. One of them was millenials playing the SG1 team, and after a brief clip the real team just went... nope.  I can't watch a show like Another Life without remembering that ep, alas.

Love SG. Still miss it. :)

There were definitely issues with the first episode and a few characters but the fast pace and the fun, exciting stuff totally overcame that for me. There's not much drama at all (another plus for me!) even if there are antagonistic relationships (another plus for me!) that develop. I quite liked it. I can't say it didn't have any problems, but I've never watched a show that doesn't have some stuff in it that annoys me. Not even my beloved SG. :)

You know what I think I most enjoyed?
Spoiler: ShowHide
The annoying characters getting their lunch handed to them with a side of mature woman kicking their asses. :)

I am Mother didn't really do a lot for me once the twists came. It felt kind of stupid to be honest, but I do know a lot of people really love that one and think it was deep and moving. I'm just contrary I guess. :) I did like the build up of suspense--that was really well done.
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #364 on: August 10, 2019, 05:04:04 AM »
Love SG. Still miss it. :)

Ditto.  Also adds to the list of reasons to despise Syfy.  Grrr.  :evil2:

I kind of have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I kind of like seeing the original creator's vision for a project, seeing the fictional world they envisioned coming to fruition.  And Stargate: SG-1 didn't have the creator's involvement.  And I liked it a lot.  So I feel a bit hypocritical in that regard, because they've talked about doing a reboot or continuation from the original movie by the original creator and I'm like, meh, I want a continuation of the TV series with the creators of the show.  It'd be interesting to see what the original creator envisioned, yes, but still I want more SG-1.  Or Atlantis or even Universe.  So a reboot or whatever, meh.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Simon Haynes

« Reply #365 on: August 10, 2019, 05:45:06 AM »
I am Mother didn't really do a lot for me once the twists came. It felt kind of stupid to be honest, but I do know a lot of people really love that one and think it was deep and moving. I'm just contrary I guess. :) I did like the build up of suspense--that was really well done.

I certainly had a few questions about plot holes
(especially regarding the outsider)
, but it was shot on a tiny budget and they did wonders with what they had.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #366 on: August 10, 2019, 06:38:46 AM »

I remember that.  Wormhole X-Treme!   :icon_rofl:  My favorite part was the Farscape parody.

v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

Lynn

« Reply #367 on: August 10, 2019, 07:30:30 AM »
Ditto.  Also adds to the list of reasons to despise Syfy.  Grrr.  :evil2:

I kind of have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, I kind of like seeing the original creator's vision for a project, seeing the fictional world they envisioned coming to fruition.  And Stargate: SG-1 didn't have the creator's involvement.  And I liked it a lot.  So I feel a bit hypocritical in that regard, because they've talked about doing a reboot or continuation from the original movie by the original creator and I'm like, meh, I want a continuation of the TV series with the creators of the show.  It'd be interesting to see what the original creator envisioned, yes, but still I want more SG-1.  Or Atlantis or even Universe.  So a reboot or whatever, meh.

Oh yes. I would love more SG, but probably not a straight-up reboot. That said, I'd still try to watch with an open mind in the beginning. I just don't know if I'd stick around if it didn't hit all the right notes. I really love SG-1 and Atlantis for the more lighthearted aspects of the show. Universe never really connected with me but I didn't hate it. Just didn't connect with the characters, although it was growing on me a bit as time went on. Ended up liking some of the actors much better in some other shows they appeared in. Travelers, for instance. I was so let down when that ended. There still seemed to be so much story there.

I happen to really enjoy reading fan fiction for lots of stuff, and I have to say I'm always amazed at how much I like some if it more than the creator's own version. On the one hand, I'd like to see some fan fiction written in my universes, but on the other, I think I wouldn't like it all if some of it turned out better than my own work in my own universes.  :icon_eek:  :icon_mrgreen:

I certainly had a few questions about plot holes
(especially regarding the outsider)
, but it was shot on a tiny budget and they did wonders with what they had.
I had a ton of questions about that. I've made up some answers, but even with that, the ending still fell flat for me. I just can't come up with a scenario that makes some of the stuff from the last 1/4 of the movie make sense to me. It was certainly compelling though and didn't look low budget to me. Just TV movie budget.
Don't rush me.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #368 on: August 10, 2019, 07:42:27 AM »
I was so let down when that ended. There still seemed to be so much story there.

Especially when it ended on a cliffhanger.  :evil2:

On SG-1, I liked the overall growth over time.  That is, it seems to me that too many scifi series with humans battling aliens tend to keep the status quo; that is, we're stuck battling aliens using our technology and whenever we get our hands on alien tech, it ends up being destroyed by the end of the episode and we're back to square one.  Whereas on SG-1, "we" studied and adapted alien technology and ended up building weapons and spaceships and so on.  So they weren't afraid to change things up and keep the show evolving.  They did that with the Jaffa too.  They started as cardboard minions, then you got to see how they were governed by the Goa'uld and pressed into service and then how different Jaffa treated each other based on their particular "god" and, once the System Lords were defeated, you saw how the Jaffa had to come together and form their own government and deal with the different factions and so on.  I think they did a really good job with evolving characters, tech, relationships and so on.  And even with that, it's not heavily serialized, so you can pretty much start watching at any point.

I happen to really enjoy reading fan fiction for lots of stuff, and I have to say I'm always amazed at how much I like some if it more than the creator's own version.

I've liked some of the Star Trek fan films and series much more than the post-Enterprise movies and series that have come out.  They later came out with official guidelines (Paramount and J.J. Abrams put them together, as I recall) for fans that limited stuff to 15 minutes and they had to use officially licensed merchandise and they couldn't involve people from the official shows and so on.  Sometimes I think they did that because the stuff the unofficial productions were putting out were far more interesting than the official materials.

On the one hand, I'd like to see some fan fiction written in my universes, but on the other, I think I wouldn't like it all if some of it turned out better than my own work in my own universes.  :icon_eek:  :icon_mrgreen:

LOL.  Yeah, I know.  I'd be worried about that too.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

Simon Haynes

« Reply #369 on: August 10, 2019, 02:07:48 PM »

I remember that.  Wormhole X-Treme!   :icon_rofl:  My favorite part was the Farscape parody.

Since I'm also a huge Farscape fan ... agreed!  I always liked that the main characters appeared in both shows.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #370 on: August 10, 2019, 05:30:16 PM »

Since I'm also a huge Farscape fan ... agreed!  I always liked that the main characters appeared in both shows.

:icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen: :icon_mrgreen:

Vijaya

« Reply #371 on: August 11, 2019, 01:49:17 AM »
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood. I think this may be the best Tarantino movie ever. Loved it.

The following users thanked this post: Anarchist

Anarchist

« Reply #372 on: August 11, 2019, 02:13:44 AM »
Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood. I think this may be the best Tarantino movie ever. Loved it.

That's wonderful to hear.

I haven't seen it yet, but I'm looking forward to it!
"The first lesson of economics is scarcity: there is never enough of anything to fully satisfy all those who want it. The first lesson of politics is to disregard the first lesson of economics.” – Thomas Sowell

"The State is an institution run by gangs of murderers, plunderers and thieves, surrounded by willing executioners, propagandists, sycophants, crooks, liars, clowns, charlatans, dupes and useful idiots—an institution that dirties and taints everything it touches.” - Hans Hoppe

"Virtue is more to be feared than vice, because its excesses are not subject to the regulation of conscience." - Adam Smith

Nothing that requires the labor of others is a basic human right.

I keep a stiff upper lip and shoot from the hip. - AC/DC

notthatamanda

« Reply #373 on: August 11, 2019, 02:24:16 AM »
We were in LA last summer and saw the street dressed for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.  Kids were all excited to see the movie (no).  My husband loves Tarantino but I can't deal with the violence.  I'll have to fast forward through it once we can get it on demand so I can show them the street.  We were walking down the street looking for the movie making and my husband said, "On the way back I want to look in that record store," but it was actually a shoe store.

PJ Post

« Reply #374 on: August 11, 2019, 03:26:15 AM »
I've seen most of his movies, but found Hateful 8 too self-indulgent to finish. I don't get the hype. Apart from the random scene here or there, he peaked with Pulp. I'll give Hollywood a shot when it comes to cable, but with what I've already heard, my expectations are pretty low.

Vijaya

« Reply #375 on: August 11, 2019, 03:51:10 AM »
NothatAmanda, I hate the violence--so much of it is gratuitous. When my kids told me they wanted to see it, I said "count me out." Then after I saw the trailer, I changed my mind. This is really, really good, I thought. And it was.

notthatamanda

« Reply #376 on: August 11, 2019, 04:29:36 AM »
Even if the violence is necessary and a part of the plot and not gratuitous at all, it still upsets me and sticks with me too long to make it worthwhile for me to watch the movie.  We watched "Red Sparrow" a couple of weeks ago, I'm still having bad dreams from it, but thanks for the info.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #377 on: August 11, 2019, 06:27:48 AM »
My favorite Tarantino scene:

"Okay, Pei Mei... Here I come."

notthatamanda

« Reply #378 on: August 11, 2019, 09:06:41 AM »
My favorite Tarantino scene:

"Okay, Pei Mei... Here I come."
"They call him El."
"That means 'The'."

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #379 on: August 13, 2019, 06:25:39 PM »
Just watched Excalibur again for the gazillionth time.  Man, what a masterpiece.  Boorman is a genius.  It seems like I discover something new in that movie every time I watch it.  I realized this time that when Percival pulls Excalibur from Mordred's body, the music is the same brass dum-dum from Siegfried's Funeral Music that we heard earlier when Arthur pulled the sword from the stone.  The movie begins and ends with Siegfried's Funeral Music, and the torch is passed, too, in the form of possession of Excalibur, via the same brass punctuation in that music.

The movie is full of themes and subtleties, and I love discovering new things about it.

PJ Post

« Reply #380 on: August 18, 2019, 12:18:14 AM »

+1

Maggie Ann

« Reply #381 on: August 18, 2019, 02:30:16 AM »
Just watched Excalibur again for the gazillionth time.  Man, what a masterpiece.  Boorman is a genius.  It seems like I discover something new in that movie every time I watch it.  I realized this time that when Percival pulls Excalibur from Mordred's body, the music is the same brass dum-dum from Siegfried's Funeral Music that we heard earlier when Arthur pulled the sword from the stone.  The movie begins and ends with Siegfried's Funeral Music, and the torch is passed, too, in the form of possession of Excalibur, via the same brass punctuation in that music.

The movie is full of themes and subtleties, and I love discovering new things about it.

The one from the 80's with Nigel Terry as Merlin?

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #382 on: August 18, 2019, 06:27:44 AM »

Yes, but Nigel Terry was Arthur.  Nicol Williamson was Merlin.

"Are you just a dream, Merlin?"

"A dream to some... a nightmare to others!"

Fun fact: John Boorman originally wanted to film The Lord of the Rings, but that plan proved unworkable, so he did Excalibur instead.  Chalk this up as one of those "things that should have been."  A Boorman LOTR would have been the bee's knees, in my opinion.

When I was a teenager, I thought the movie was just okay.  I thought the anachronistic armor made it kind of cheesy and campy.  And some things I just didn't get at all, like the animals gathering around Lancelot and Guinevere during the consummation of their affair.  Years later, though, I realized that it's not supposed to be historically accurate or realistic or whatever.  It's meant to represent a Romantic ideal.  Almost everything in it is symbolic.  Once I started watching the movie in that light, it all sort of clicked for me.

+1

"I've often thought that in the hereafter of our lives, when I owe no more to the future and can be just a man... that we may meet. You'll come to me, claim me yours, and know that I am your husband. It is a dream I have."   :icon_cry:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #383 on: August 18, 2019, 08:09:40 AM »

Yes, but Nigel Terry was Arthur.  Nicol Williamson was Merlin.

"Are you just a dream, Merlin?"

"A dream to some... a nightmare to others!"

Fun fact: John Boorman originally wanted to film The Lord of the Rings, but that plan proved unworkable, so he did Excalibur instead.  Chalk this up as one of those "things that should have been."  A Boorman LOTR would have been the bee's knees, in my opinion.

When I was a teenager, I thought the movie was just okay.  I thought the anachronistic armor made it kind of cheesy and campy.  And some things I just didn't get at all, like the animals gathering around Lancelot and Guinevere during the consummation of their affair.  Years later, though, I realized that it's not supposed to be historically accurate or realistic or whatever.  It's meant to represent a Romantic ideal.  Almost everything in it is symbolic.  Once I started watching the movie in that light, it all sort of clicked for me.

+1

"I've often thought that in the hereafter of our lives, when I owe no more to the future and can be just a man... that we may meet. You'll come to me, claim me yours, and know that I am your husband. It is a dream I have."   :icon_cry:

Ah, yes. Thanks. I haven't watched it in years.

It's available on Prime Video.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #384 on: September 03, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »
Alita: Battle Angel

I really enjoyed this until the last five or ten minutes.  Some viewers say the big eyes gave them an uncanny valley sensation, but I didn't experience that at all.  We know from the start that she's a robot, so the big eyes don't seem unnatural to me; they're just part of the design.  In fact, I actually liked the big eyes.  I did get the uncanny valley thing during some of the fight scenes due to the laws of physics being violated, but that was a minor thing, all things considered.  I thought the father character was very well done.

The major problem for me was the ending.  It basically ruined what for me was an otherwise very good movie.   :icon_sad:

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #385 on: September 04, 2019, 04:35:27 AM »
Just wanted a mindless actioner, so I watched this ...

I will not forget one line of this, not one day. I will always remember when the Doctor was me.
I'm the Doctor by the way, what's your name? Rose. Nice to meet you, Rose. Run for your life!

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #386 on: September 04, 2019, 05:04:00 AM »
Some viewers say the big eyes gave them an uncanny valley sensation, but I didn't experience that at all.  We know from the start that she's a robot, so the big eyes don't seem unnatural to me; they're just part of the design.  In fact, I actually liked the big eyes.

There's nothing wrong with big eyes.  :heart:

The following users thanked this post: Jeff Tanyard

Betty Blast

« Reply #387 on: September 11, 2019, 01:26:35 AM »
I've been watching the Aurora Teagarden mystery movies on Hallmark. They're based off of a cozy mystery series by Charlaine Harris. They're interesting and light-hearted.

APP

« Reply #388 on: September 17, 2019, 05:35:41 AM »
This last weekend, I finally got around to seeing two movies on my to see list.

Avenger's Endgame. I enjoyed this movie and felt it was a nice closure to the Infinity War.  :tup3b

Captain Marvel. I enjoyed this movie and I look forward to more adventures with Brie Larson as Captain Marvel.   :tup3b

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #389 on: December 05, 2019, 08:06:34 AM »
Some of you may have heard that the record for the Cannonball Run was broken recently.  The new record is 27 hours, 25 minutes, with an average speed--including fuel stops--of 103 mph and a top speed of 193 mph.   :eek:

https://www.ibtimes.com/three-men-shatter-cannonball-run-speed-record-heres-how-they-did-it-2879263

After hearing about this, I did a search for "Cannonball Run," and one of the first links to pop up was a Dailymotion link where someone had uploaded the whole 1981 movie.  I'd never seen it before, believe it or not, so I figured "why not?" and decided to watch it.

When it comes to taste, my sensibilities are almost always in line with the audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes, not the critics' scores.  On rare occasions, though, the opposite happens, and that's the case here.

This movie is bad.   :icon_sad:

On paper, it should have everything going for it, right?  It's about an illegal cross-country road race.  It stars several professional comedians.  It includes a martial arts scene featuring Jackie Chan.  It features beautiful women with exposed cleavage, including a braless Farrah Fawcett.  The cars include eye-candy vehicles: a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, and an Aston-Martin.  It takes place across the entire breadth of the country, so there should be lots of awesome scenery.  In every possible way for a movie to titillate an audience, this movie has it.  There's no built-in excuse for this movie to suck.

Yet suck it does.  We don't get to know any of the characters well enough to care about them.  The dialog is awkward at best and cringey at worst.  It's a movie about a race, but the movie's half over before the race even begins.  The "comedy" is rarely funny.  And the ending is anticlimactic and dumb.

The best part might just be the blooper reel that rolls during the end credits.   :icon_rolleyes:

Anyway, at least I can say I've seen it now.

And congratulations to the new record-holders of the real-life Cannonball Run.  That's quite a feat.   :cheers

Maggie Ann

« Reply #390 on: December 05, 2019, 08:12:32 AM »
Jeff, I think I'll stick to my sappy Christmas movies.

Bingeing them on Amazon Prime. Trying to stick to one a day and I've still got my classic Christmas movie DVDs.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #391 on: December 05, 2019, 08:16:59 AM »

Bingeing them on Amazon Prime. Trying to stick to one a day and I've still got my classic Christmas movie DVDs.

Good idea.  'tis the season, after all.

I have a few favorite Christmas movies that I try to watch every year to get me in the mood.  They're not really sappy, though.  They're Die Hard, Trading Places, and Death Race.   :icon_mrgreen:

Maggie Ann

« Reply #392 on: December 05, 2019, 08:20:20 AM »

Good idea.  'tis the season, after all.

I have a few favorite Christmas movies that I try to watch every year to get me in the mood.  They're not really sappy, though.  They're Die Hard, Trading Places, and Death Race.   :icon_mrgreen:

I've never seen Death Race, but Die Hard (Just hate seeing AR fall off that building) and Trading Places are two faves.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #393 on: December 05, 2019, 08:32:14 AM »
I've never seen Death Race

It's not a great movie, but it's sort of a guilty pleasure for me.   :icon_redface:

dgcasey

• Long Novel unlocked
« Reply #394 on: December 05, 2019, 12:55:29 PM »
A great example of what can be done with a couple of camcorders and a budget that includes a few cases of beer.

Maggie Ann

« Reply #395 on: December 05, 2019, 01:16:39 PM »
A great example of what can be done with a couple of camcorders and a budget that includes a few cases of beer.

Very catchy title.

j tanner

« Reply #396 on: December 05, 2019, 01:24:44 PM »
I did a search for "Cannonball Run," and one of the first links to pop up was a Dailymotion link where someone had uploaded the whole 1981 movie.  I'd never seen it before, believe it or not, so I figured "why not?" and decided to watch it.

When it comes to taste, my sensibilities are almost always in line with the audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes, not the critics' scores.  On rare occasions, though, the opposite happens, and that's the case here.

This movie is bad.   :icon_sad:

It was a guilty pleasure at the time. I don't think anyone really thought it was good, but it was entertaining. Comedy can be pretty "of the time" and this was a middling one even then. (Similarly, I find old SNL episodes which were hysterical at the time rather interminable looking back.)

Knives Out. 5 :dizzy

No one attempts these kinds of whodunnits anymore and this one was a heap of fun to play along with.

Glass 2.5  :dizzy

I found Unbreakable to be decent, and Split entertaining, so the conclusion should have been right in my wheelhouse. It was not. It was cheap looking, poorly thought out, and took every comic book element that was subtext in the prior movies and commented on them directly. Just one bizarre decision piled on another. Big disappointment.

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #397 on: December 05, 2019, 02:54:07 PM »
It was a guilty pleasure at the time. I don't think anyone really thought it was good, but it was entertaining. Comedy can be pretty "of the time" and this was a middling one even then.

I absolutely agree.  I wasn't expecting world-class writing.  I'm susceptible to "guilty pleasure" movies, though, and I was hoping I'd like it for that reason.  It just didn't happen for me.   :shrug

Knives Out.

Never heard of this one until now.  Cool cast, though.  Frank Oz!   :cool:

And Doug, I've never heard of Reset, either, but it looks interesting.  They put the whole thing on YouTube with this in the description:

RESET is a non-commercial, feature-length film made by a dedicated cast and crew for the simple love of filmmaking and storytelling. This original story was made with a near-zero budget and relies on the strength of that story and the talents of everyone involved.

Please let us know what you think - show us your thumb and leave a comment.

lea_owens

« Reply #398 on: December 05, 2019, 05:11:41 PM »
At lunch time today, I watched the 1956 sci-fi Forbidden Planet. It stars Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis, and Leslie Nielsen and although corny in places, it was ground-breaking at the time. Plus, that classic robot that appears in so many movies and some episodes of Lost in Space (as an evil robot, I think) features in the movie.

Last month I watched movies that friends had a hand in. About 15 years ago, one of my students told me he wanted to work in movies, and I told him to dream big, work hard, and one day he'll send me a photo of himself with an Oscar. A few years ago he sent me a photo of him holding two Oscars for Hacksaw Ridge - he was on the small sound editing and editing team that won the Oscars. His team also worked on The Dressmaker and The Railwayman, so I watched them, too.  Other friends worked on or in Red Dog, Australia, Racing Stripes, War Horse, Charlotte's Web, Storm Boy, Tomorrow When the War Began, The Great Gatsby (not the Robert Redford one), and some others, so, even though I'd seen them all before, I had an enjoyable time watching movies that somehow involve friends. It seemed as good a theme as any.

j tanner

« Reply #399 on: December 06, 2019, 06:14:54 AM »
I absolutely agree.  I wasn't expecting world-class writing.  I'm susceptible to "guilty pleasure" movies, though, and I was hoping I'd like it for that reason.  It just didn't happen for me.   :shrug

Happens. Even with classics. I have a feeling I'd love The Wild Bunch to this day if I'd first watched it in the eighties the way I still love Pale Rider or True Grit (original) but I didn't get to it until a couple years ago and I was too late to the party. And others will surprise you like The Apartment or African Queen. Never know.