Author Topic: CANADIAN Writers' Support Thread  (Read 25459 times)

oganalp

Re: CANADIAN Writers' Support Thread
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2018, 12:57:04 PM »
Hey there!

Recently moved to Canada (about 15 months ago). Do you have any suggestions for any guilds, groups, associations, etc. to join? The ups and downs of these organizations, etc?

I attended to the Word on the Street at Toronto Harbourfront back on 23rd, but couldn't find much in this sense.

Denise

« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2018, 08:36:21 PM »
Hey there!

Recently moved to Canada (about 15 months ago). Do you have any suggestions for any guilds, groups, associations, etc. to join? The ups and downs of these organizations, etc?

I attended to the Word on the Street at Toronto Harbourfront back on 23rd, but couldn't find much in this sense.

I'm assuming you write fantasy. There's this association which is open to indies: http://www.sfcanada.org/

I know there are some smaller regional writers' groups, but I don't know much about them.

You can also check which associations are listed in the Writers' Coalition program, in case you want/need extended health insurance or just to check some more groups. https://www.writerscoalition.ca/guest

The following users thanked this post: oganalp

Edward M. Grant

« Reply #52 on: October 06, 2018, 04:20:16 AM »
ETA:  :mhk9U91: check this post. It has your old sig:  https://writersanctum.com/index.php?topic=64.msg2693#msg2693

Thanks. Looks like I'll have to convert it back from HTML to board format.

Rickie Blair

« Reply #53 on: October 06, 2018, 08:30:11 AM »
Is anyone going to the Kobo Writing Life Indie Author Library Night in Toronto on Oct. 11?
It was mentioned in the last KWL blog (and on their website).

tired1680

« Reply #54 on: October 07, 2018, 10:08:14 AM »
Reporting in from the real north (Whitehorse, YT). With RBC too. And love the ISBNs.

RappaDizzy

« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2018, 05:51:47 AM »
Here is a link to the Writer’s Union of Canada - this particular link is about ghostwriting and what you could make if you’re interested & someone likes your work https://www.writersunion.ca/ghostwriting

The following users thanked this post: ImaWriter, oganalp

oganalp

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2018, 04:06:21 AM »
Is anyone going to the Kobo Writing Life Indie Author Library Night in Toronto on Oct. 11?

I won't be attending this as I have to give a Macroecon exam in the morning. Could you please share your thoughts if you attend?

Rickie Blair

« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2018, 04:17:34 AM »

I won't be attending this as I have to give a Macroecon exam in the morning. Could you please share your thoughts if you attend?

Sadly, I can't make it either.

littleauthor

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2018, 09:20:14 AM »
I have a question re: CreateSpace-KDP merge. I have royalties owing b/c being in Canada, I get a cheque when the USD hits $100, GBP 100 and Euro 100. I'm nowhere near 100 in GBP or Euro but the USD was close before the switch.
I emailed Amazon and asked what happens to those balances since I can't hit the magic 100 without sales on CS (cause the catalogue is moved). They said the balances have been shifted over to my KDP account and yes, they have. But they're in the months they were earned--months that have already been paid out by KDP.

At what point will Amazon pay the CS royalties? I assume they'll use direct deposit, but do they wait to hit the $100 mark? I don't get the accounting on this.
"Not working to her full potential."

EllieL

« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2018, 11:19:27 AM »
Good question. I got paid via a Payoneer card that I'd used to set up my CS account. A whopping 2.25!
I'm sorry I don't have an answer. You may have to contact support to ask.
Historical and contemporary romance

Signature Tool Alpha Test

The following users thanked this post: littleauthor

Denise

« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2018, 09:16:11 PM »
I have a question re: CreateSpace-KDP merge. I have royalties owing b/c being in Canada, I get a cheque when the USD hits $100, GBP 100 and Euro 100.

At what point will Amazon pay the CS royalties? I assume they'll use direct deposit, but do they wait to hit the $100 mark? I don't get the accounting on this.

I'm in the same situation. I'll wait for next month's KDP payments/reports, and I believe the CS royalties will be included then. The amounts are in previous months, but I think they'll pay them soon. Also, since KDP doesn't have a $100 minimum, they'll have pay right away (in one or two months). I'll wait a little to see what happens, and if they include them with the next payment.

I don't think they'll hold our payments forever because we didn't reach $100. If anything, that's one good thing about the CS/KDP merge; less waiting to get paid for paperback sales, at least for me because it takes me a while to reach $100.

Rickie Blair

« Reply #61 on: October 13, 2018, 12:31:23 AM »
I questioned KDP about this very thing. Here's their somewhat confusing answer:

Yes, your unpaid CreateSpace royalties will be paid based on the KDP payment method.

Royalties earned through CreateSpace that do not meet the minimum threshold will move with your books and account information to KDP.

If you move from CreateSpace to KDP in September and your earned royalties are above the minimum threshold, you will receive your payments on the following schedule:

- August CreateSpace royalties will be paid at the end of September.
- September CreateSpace royalties will be paid at the end of October.
- September KDP royalties will be paid at the end of November.
- October KDP royalties will be paid at the end of December.
- November KDP royalties will be paid at the end of January.

To learn more about KDP’s payment schedule and payment thresholds, check our Help page:
https://kdp.amazon.com/help/topic/G200641050

I moved my books early this month. My "prior month's royalties" in KDP show a small CS payment for September, below CS's normal payment threshold. But my CS dashboard still shows royalties owing.

So, I'm baffled. Maybe I'll get another payment at the end of this month? Who knows?

littleauthor

« Reply #62 on: October 13, 2018, 03:41:32 AM »
Yes, that's pretty much what they told me too. I made the move on Sept 14. I've been accruing royalties throughout the year on CS and now I see those CS royalties listed in the months they were earned in in the KDP reports. (They're still listed in my CS account too so that's bewildering.)

Based on that email they sent Rickie, I'm guessing everything I've earned through CS should be paid this month cause those royalties were earned at the beginning of the year. My last sale was in August. Nothing has come in since the move. Could be a nice boost. I had given up ever meeting the threshold to get the GBP or Euro royalties.  :hehe

Desomond X. Torres

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #63 on: November 13, 2018, 07:51:31 AM »
Just stopping in to say 'Yo'...
Transplanted NY'er, moved here 32 years ago. I live in Kingston, ON and loving every minute. My wife and I got involved w/Indie pubbing back in 2012 when I found out just how much of a PITA it would be to submit and go the trad pub route with my first MS. I'm not exaggerating when I say I was sooo naive back then... visions of Oprah's Book Club danced in my head, but I didn't have a clue on story structure! LOL (@ moi)

Currently, we pub under my wife's name, along w/ some other stuff. It's been a ride. The learning curve in this gig is so steep, esp when you're in your 60's and not super savvy re the internet.

We now do this full time. The $$'s okay. Not a member of the five figure club by any stretch, but there's plenty of good times at half that. If I knew how much work it would take when I started I never would have begun. If I knew how rewarding it was going to be, I'd have started twenty years ago! LOL

Enjoy the process everyone!

Rhett Gervais

« Reply #64 on: November 15, 2018, 03:27:28 PM »
Bonjour de Montréal!

Glad to meet some of my fellow crazy Canucks :)

angela

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Indie publishing since 2011. Still kickin'.
« Reply #65 on: November 16, 2018, 10:46:48 AM »
Hello, fellow keeners! Greetings from the soggy west coast.

littleauthor

« Reply #66 on: January 18, 2019, 06:28:40 AM »
Did any of you get paid for your outstanding CS royalties last year that fell under the $100 threshold? And does it pay out in a cheque as per usual?

Thanks all.

EllieL

« Reply #67 on: January 18, 2019, 08:20:08 AM »
Mine was included with one of my KDP payments. Sorry, can't recall which right now, but I think it was November.
Historical and contemporary romance

Signature Tool Alpha Test

maiasepp

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2019, 07:11:52 AM »
Did any of you get paid for your outstanding CS royalties last year that fell under the $100 threshold? And does it pay out in a cheque as per usual?

Thanks all.

I was owed about $90 and never got it. I haven't had the energy to go after it. I think I'm still hoping they'll send it to me :)

Denise

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2019, 12:41:50 PM »
Keyword: PRINT BOOK SHIPPING TO CANADA

I'm using Ingram for one of my books, and I just realized that it's cheaper to order it from Europe. It makes no sense whatsoever... Anyways, if I order it from the US, it's $19.50 including shipping, printing, etc. and if I order it from the UK, it's $13 Euros, which comes to less than the price from the USA.

Does anyone have a similar experience? I only realized it because I was going to send a book to a blogger in the Philippines, and it was cheaper than ordering a book for myself.  :icon_think: Then I decided to calculate the cost to send it to me from Europe, and was surprised.

Ugh. Either way, that's why I never send or do giveaways with autographed books, because for me it's usually cheaper to send the print book directly from Ingram or from Amazon. For this book, I'll do only Ingram, though. I find that I don't sell enough paperbacks to justify two PODs.

Phronk

« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »
Hi everyone! Just checking in here, since I live in Canada, and London, Ontario more specifically. It’s one of those cities where a lot of writers do their things independently, but once in a while they come out of their offices and show just how much awesome writing is getting done around here (e.g. the annual Wordsfest, http://wordsfest.ca/).

Nice to see this thread. It reminds me that I should check my KDP Print earnings to make sure it all moved from Createspace correctly. :)

The following users thanked this post: E. Satterfield

LeoBrophy

« Reply #71 on: March 08, 2019, 12:07:05 AM »
I'm in Toronto but I'm actually an economic refugee from newfoundland originally. Interesting site.

Genre: Kids Books

WriteOn

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2019, 11:18:29 PM »
Anyone using Draft2Digital? I plan to publish two books in the next 4-6 weeks and wonder if I should get my own ISBN rather than have D2D assign one.

Anyone have any other advice on D2D? Any tips?

Eric Thomson

« Reply #73 on: April 06, 2019, 12:51:42 AM »
Anyone using Draft2Digital? I plan to publish two books in the next 4-6 weeks and wonder if I should get my own ISBN rather than have D2D assign one.

Considering Library and Archives Canada offers free ISBNs to Canadian publishers, there is no reason whatsoever to take a distributor's ISBN. 

http://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/eng/services/isbn-canada/Pages/isbn-canada.aspx#b

The following users thanked this post: LeoBrophy, E. Satterfield

LeoBrophy

« Reply #74 on: April 06, 2019, 01:12:58 AM »
I've done this too. It's a great suggestion and I got ISBN's from Archives Canada.

[/quote]

Considering Library and Archives Canada offers free ISBNs to Canadian publishers, there is no reason whatsoever to take a distributor's ISBN. 

[/quote]

Genre: Kids Books

WriteOn

« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2019, 09:34:01 AM »

I understand that I could get them from Archives Canada. So the consensus is to do that. Thanks.

Phronk

« Reply #76 on: April 08, 2019, 10:17:05 PM »

Is there an advantage to this? Why not just take D2D’s free ISBN so you only have to click one button?

WriteOn

« Reply #77 on: May 18, 2019, 12:50:43 AM »
Another question about ISBNs. I'm setting up my paperback on Amazon, and it's asking me the Imprint. I got my ISBN from Library and Archives Canada. Are they the imprint?

If not, who is? I can't seem to figure this part out.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #78 on: May 18, 2019, 12:59:27 AM »
Another question about ISBNs. I'm setting up my paperback on Amazon, and it's asking me the Imprint. I got my ISBN from Library and Archives Canada. Are they the imprint?

No they're not. 

Definition of imprint as per the dictionary:  the name of a publisher as it appears on a particular set of books.

You're the publisher.  Under what name do you publish?

WriteOn

« Reply #79 on: May 18, 2019, 01:05:49 AM »

No they're not. 

Definition of imprint as per the dictionary:  the name of a publisher as it appears on a particular set of books.

You're the publisher.  Under what name do you publish?

I'm the publisher. So my name?

« Last Edit: May 18, 2019, 01:11:56 AM by WriteOn »

Eric Thomson

« Reply #80 on: May 18, 2019, 02:36:00 AM »
Your name, or whatever you want to name your self-publishing business.

WriteOn

« Reply #81 on: July 23, 2019, 02:28:07 AM »
Possibly a stupid question, but I'm full of those.

I published back in May and got my first royalties set up to go to my RBC Georgia account. I see a lot of "Pending info from bank" on the payments dashboard. Do I need to do anything, or does it take some time for the bank to catch up on this?

Eric Thomson

« Reply #82 on: July 23, 2019, 03:15:22 AM »

I published back in May and got my first royalties set up to go to my RBC Georgia account. I see a lot of "Pending info from bank" on the payments dashboard. Do I need to do anything, or does it take some time for the bank to catch up on this?
All of the "Pendings" on your payments dashboard will stay that way until after the payments hit your account, since Amazon won't know what exchange rate your bank used and the final amount in CAD until the bank sends a confirmation back to Amazon after it receives the transfers.  And the payments won't hit your account until the 29th.

WriteOn

« Reply #83 on: July 23, 2019, 03:51:23 AM »

All of the "Pendings" on your payments dashboard will stay that way until after the payments hit your account, since Amazon won't know what exchange rate your bank used and the final amount in CAD until the bank sends a confirmation back to Amazon after it receives the transfers.  And the payments won't hit your account until the 29th.

Perfect. Thank you so much.

tired1680

« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2019, 11:37:39 AM »
Question for Canadians - anyone get in to the Writers Union of Canada? I applied and it took them months to reject me (after paying a $100 fee that I am supposed to get $50 back from) because my book was 'not formatted to the same quality as a trad pub' book. Talked to another author friend who mentioned he had the same problem. Curious if any indie actually gets in.

littleauthor

« Reply #85 on: September 27, 2019, 11:47:04 AM »
That's weird. I used to be a member after I self-published but now that I think of it, I was trad pubbed first. I let membership lapse a few years ago. If that's their criteria, I'd love to know why they took me when my trad-pubbed book was literally tossed out into the world by the publisher without editing, copyediting or proofreading--with my name on the cover.
I found out my book was coming out by a bookseller who wanted to know if she could host my launch.  :HB

Denise

« Reply #86 on: September 30, 2019, 12:13:11 AM »
Question for Canadians - anyone get in to the Writers Union of Canada? I applied and it took them months to reject me  because my book was 'not formatted to the same quality as a trad pub' book.

Curious: what formatting did your book have? Vellum? Did you send print copies?

Anyway, this is such humongous BS. They say they want to see "commercial intent" in self-published books, and yet they don't demand anything even slightly similar from trad pubbed books.

And we know that some of these books are published by small presses and sometimes sell as few as 50 copies.

I joked the other day (about an event) that even though self-published books don't count, a book published by the author's beer buddy's "small press" selling 50 copies counts. A woman (representative of an association of publishers) said I offended every single English press in Quebec. I guess I did.  :shrug

Anyway, tiny presses publishing their beer buddies self absorbed , navel gazing attempts at literary greatness by clueless noobs have the right to exist and the right to be recognized. What sucks is the double standard.

In Quebec, the QWF (provincial federation), simply doesn't consider self-published authors as professional members. Period.

Again, if your book is "published" by your buddy's "small press", selling only 20 copies at the launch party, for friends who won't even read it, then you're accepted. It's such, such, such BS.

And this kind of issue causes people to have a lot of power and no accountability as seen in #Canlitaccountable issues.

I'd like to speak out about it and bring these matters to public attention, but I'm not sure who would listen to it or how to do it. It's a serious matter because "published" writers can get grants, and those small presses get money from the government. Nothing against it. Art needs to be funded, sure.

The issue is how independent writers, who are the hardest working writers, don't have any access to this.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 12:55:57 AM by Denise »

WriteOn

« Reply #87 on: September 30, 2019, 06:29:09 AM »
Question for Canadians - anyone get in to the Writers Union of Canada? I applied and it took them months to reject me  because my book was 'not formatted to the same quality as a trad pub' book.

Anyway, this is such humongous BS. They say they want to see "commercial intent" in self-published books, and yet they don't demand anything even slightly similar from trad pubbed books.

And we know that some of these books are published by small presses and sometimes sell as few as 50 copies.

I joked the other day (about an event) that even though self-published books don't count, a book published by the author's beer buddy's "small press" selling 50 copies counts. A woman (representative of an association of publishers) said I offended every single English press in Quebec. I guess I did.  :shrug

Anyway, tiny presses publishing their beer buddies self absorbed , navel gazing attempts at literary greatness by clueless noobs have the right to exist and the right to be recognized. What sucks is the double standard.

In Quebec, the QWF (provincial federation), simply doesn't accept self-published books period. Period.

Again, if your book is "published" by your buddy's "small press", selling only 20 copies at the launch party, for friends who won't even read it, then you're accepted. It's such, such, such BS.

And this kind of issue causes people to have a lot of power and no accountability as seen in #Canlitaccountable issues.

I'd like to speak out about it and bring these matters to public attention, but I'm not sure who would listen to it or how to do it. It's a serious matter because "published" writers can get grants, and those small presses get money from the government. Nothing against it. Art needs to be funded, sure.

The issue is how independent writers, who are the hardest working writers, don't have any access to this.

I can't be bothered with any of it.

Not to derail, but I joined my local writers' guild several years ago and it was filled with snooty trad pubbed authors and desperate-to-be trad pubbed authors. And you'd think all these authors had major deals with the big 5, but no, they were all pubbed by small presses and selling maybe 50 books. One author had sold a 1000 and everyone was so impressed. I had a hard time not rolling my eyes.

So I let my membership lapse because why bother.

I rejoined the guild a year ago. Most of the same attitudes remained, but I'd gotten a trad deal so maybe they were more receptive to me. I did notice that a lot more of the authors were interested in self-pubbing but the trad dreams remained. For info, I rejoined mostly because I was asked to rejoin and help them with fundraising. There are a lot of good people in my guild.

What did floor me is that one member who has several books published with a big 5 took me aside. He's a pretty big deal where I live and I have a Toronto friend who fangirls over him. So he's no slouch. He spent half hour talking to me about self-pubbing and licensing (I've licensed several of my works for gaming rights and it's been lucrative). This big 5 author who's pretty big, is struggling to make ends meet. He's sick of being beholden to publishers and paying his agent 15%.

I don't know much about the Writers Union of Canada, but it sounds exactly like my guild. And while attitudes are slowly changing, for the most part, I think these organizations are a waste of time for self-pubbed authors.

The following users thanked this post: Denise

Denise

« Reply #88 on: September 30, 2019, 07:30:14 AM »

I don't know much about the Writers Union of Canada, but it sounds exactly like my guild. And while attitudes are slowly changing, for the most part, I think these organizations are a waste of time for self-pubbed authors.

Oh, I agree. That's why I want to roll my eyes that they want to see commercial intent from independent writers when 99% of traditional publishers in Canada don't have any.

My issue is that there are certain opportunities reserved only for trad authors. I write YA, and they have programs to read in schools, for example.

Another issue, which is not related to these unions, are the Federal and provincial grants. They are only available for trad authors. https://canadacouncil.ca/funding/grants/explore-and-create/concept-to-realization  And then, maybe they are related in a way, because it's about the mentality dominating the writing circle.

Yeah... I mean. OK. They need those grants because they don't make money otherwise. OTOH it's public money going towards stuff nobody wants to read. OTOH, some people need to create that stuff. I don't know. I feel conflicted. I just wish they accepted independent writers too. We could use some help to develop our writing career, too, and some support.

But then, at the end of the day perhaps we should be just happy that Canada gives us free ISBNs. If you think about it, self-published authors are the ones who benefit the most from them.

WriteOn

« Reply #89 on: September 30, 2019, 11:00:32 PM »

Oh, I agree. That's why I want to roll my eyes that they want to see commercial intent from independent writers when 99% of traditional publishers in Canada don't have any.

My issue is that there are certain opportunities reserved only for trad authors. I write YA, and they have programs to read in schools, for example.

Another issue, which is not related to these unions, are the Federal and provincial grants. They are only available for trad authors. https://canadacouncil.ca/funding/grants/explore-and-create/concept-to-realization  And then, maybe they are related in a way, because it's about the mentality dominating the writing circle.

Yeah... I mean. OK. They need those grants because they don't make money otherwise. OTOH it's public money going towards stuff nobody wants to read. OTOH, some people need to create that stuff. I don't know. I feel conflicted. I just wish they accepted independent writers too. We could use some help to develop our writing career, too, and some support.

But then, at the end of the day perhaps we should be just happy that Canada gives us free ISBNs. If you think about it, self-published authors are the ones who benefit the most from them.

I do hope attitudes change. And I do think they are slowly changing. Very slowly.

I do love the perk of free ISBNs though.

tired1680

« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2019, 10:53:12 AM »
I format via Word myself, don't bother with anything else since Vellum doesn't work with what I do (Tables). I sent an e-copy, think it was in PDF or .mobi format. I think it was mobi actually, that's the requirement but it was ages ago.

And yeah, the only real reason I'm looking at joining one up here is to get the extended health and because they were willing to talk to me about the ebook.bike issue and were at least looking into it. Right now, I'm just ignoring them and talking to the SFCanada people.

I much prefer people who are willing to just take info on amount earned.

And I completely agree about the rubbish way these things get locked off because we are self-pubs.

Denise

« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2019, 11:12:56 PM »

And yeah, the only real reason I'm looking at joining one up here is to get the extended health and because they were willing to talk to me about the ebook.bike issue and were at least looking into it. Right now, I'm just ignoring them and talking to the SFCanada people.

I much prefer people who are willing to just take info on amount earned.

And I completely agree about the rubbish way these things get locked off because we are self-pubs.

Yeah, SFCanada has pretty easy requirements, much in line with what they request from trad authors. I've considered joining them, just to support an association that seems cool and treats indies with dignity (so it's in our interest to strengthen it). Let us know if you join them if and if you like it. Now that I'm writing this post and thinking about it I'm considering joining them ASAP just because they're indie-friendly.

For the extended health plan, I'm not sure. I looked at other options and they are not that much more expensive than the one fro Writer's Coalition. I think I even saw one cheaper. Maybe I'd need to research it more carefully. Anyway, for the health plan you can go with SFCanada.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:47:15 PM by Denise »

tired1680

« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2019, 04:56:43 AM »
Joined. Took a bit since they wanted the proof of sales in a very specific format, which was a bit annoying. Had to deal with multiple e-mails, even though what I sent them was definitely more than enough to work out that I had done enough. But, whatever.

I'm supposed to get the logins / etc but I have yet to see that happen. I don't know if I just had it eaten by spam mail, e-mailing them today.

And yeah, I have to follow up on the extended health plan. If it's good, I'll let people know. It's more a 'just in case' than anything I think I need... well, beyond dental. :) Dental is always nice.

The following users thanked this post: Denise, Virginia McClain

Denise

« Reply #93 on: March 02, 2020, 01:53:10 AM »
Does anyone have works eligible for the Aurora Awards?

tired1680

« Reply #94 on: March 02, 2020, 03:38:35 AM »
Mine is (A Thousand Li: the First Step, Tao Wong)

Denise

« Reply #95 on: September 23, 2020, 12:28:28 AM »
I'm writing a blog post (I'll post it on Medium or somewhere else, too) about discrimination against self-publishing in Canada.

Would any Canadian writer be willing to provide a comment? Or if anyone here is writing full-time or at a professional level, would you allow me to mention you? I'd appreciate it.

Eric Thomson

« Reply #96 on: September 23, 2020, 02:29:39 AM »
I'm a full-time Canadian author who publishes through his own incorporated business, and I'm doing very well. Feel free to mention me. You can check out my official website as well: thomsonfiction.ca 

That being said I don't feel discriminated against by the Canadian literary scene because I live in a different universe. CanLit is irrelevant to me. I don't aspire to be on Canada Reads or one of the CBC's author radio programs or get the GG's prize for literature. I just want to write entertaining books and don't care what the trad pubbed scene thinks of them. However, I have plenty of Canadian fans. I write military scifi, and a lot of serving and retired Canadian military personnel have reached out to me after reading my books, including some who were very high up in their day.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2020, 02:43:21 AM by Eric Thomson »

The following users thanked this post: Denise, E. Satterfield

tired1680

« Reply #97 on: September 23, 2020, 02:52:03 AM »
I'm more than happy to be quoted and/or mentioned. I do feel frustrated that some of the grants aren't available, especially for things like translations.

Denise

« Reply #98 on: September 23, 2020, 03:30:10 AM »
I'm a full-time Canadian author who publishes through his own incorporated business, and I'm doing very well. Feel free to mention me. You can check out my official website as well: thomsonfiction.ca 

That being said I don't feel discriminated against by the Canadian literary scene because I live in a different universe. CanLit is irrelevant to me. I don't aspire to be on Canada Reads or one of the CBC's author radio programs or get the GG's prize for literature. I just want to write entertaining books and don't care what the trad pubbed scene thinks of them. However, I have plenty of Canadian fans. I write military scifi, and a lot of serving and retired Canadian military personnel have reached out to me after reading my books, including some who were very high up in their day.

Thanks, Eric, that's awesome.

Denise

« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2020, 03:30:49 AM »
I'm more than happy to be quoted and/or mentioned. I do feel frustrated that some of the grants aren't available, especially for things like translations.

Hey tired, can you send me a dm mentioning your pen name, and what you feel? Thanks!

Update: I wrote the article but the conclusion I came too is similar to Eric Thomson; it doesn't really matter. At the end of the day we're thriving. Not all of us are making full-time income, but we're all finding readers, growing, etc. If successful self-published authors can't join Canadian professional associations, it's not the end of the world. There are more associations for us and there's a lot of community support for us.

I don't know, while I think that it would be neat to be able to apply to read in schools, for example, I guess we have so many other perks...

In terms of grants, there are a few here and there that accept self-published authors, so it's a matter of looking.

It's a strange conclusion, but I find that if I write an article detailing how professional Canadian associations are losing out on having indie writers, nobody's going to understand.

Again, the truth is that we are thriving. Most of the trad authors aren't. Sometimes all that those authors have is the validation, so let them have their validation, I guess?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 01:42:19 AM by Denise »