Author Topic: The mind of a writer ...  (Read 2977 times)

VanessaC

The mind of a writer ...
« on: January 24, 2020, 12:04:27 AM »
Thought this might be a fun discussion ...

I recently had to drive a long-ish car journey, and, as usual, my mind worked on writing and plot ideas. The normal sorts of things for me: kidnapping, murder, theft, perilous journeys, how the magic system works, whether two of my secondary characters are actually a good match for each other, how many different ways I could think of to express apprehension ... and a lot more besides.

I then wondered if other writers do the same sort of thing? Would love to know.

Also, what on earth do non-writers think about? I can spend hours of time plotting stories and mapping out worlds in my head!

Genre: Fantasy

The following users thanked this post: VisitasKeat

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: The mind of a writer ...
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 12:07:49 AM »
Non-writers - "Are we there yet?"

Writers - "Oh for peats sake, we're there already? I'm not done with that scene yet!"
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: W.R. Gingell, sliderule, VanessaC, feste

VanessaC

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 12:24:41 AM »
Non-writers - "Are we there yet?"

Writers - "Oh for peats sake, we're there already? I'm not done with that scene yet!"

:icon_rofl:

Yep. Pretty much.

VisitasKeat

• Short Novel unlocked
  • Following my characters. Wherever they take me.
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 01:08:34 AM »
The mind of a writer is the most interesting one among the human species. We have an unique mindset that renders reality into something fictional, to the extent that we can talk our way out of any tight situation, without creating a scene in front of others. Hell, we already made up the scenes inside our minds to dodge whatever and whoever wanting to overwhelm us! We are brave ghost hunters and paranormal investigators daring new ventures and experiments for purposes of world building. And that would surprise many who had hitherto thought of us as shy and introverted. We play cozy detectives in workplace and domestic settings, and we busting up cases of thefts and potential dangers would surprise others. They, these non-writers and other mundane boring folks, with the exception of voracious readers and film makers, don't see things the way we do, don't interpret life as we do. We writers are truly a blessed lot. We give our imagination wings and don't just lead a dull life. Our brains are museum stuff. The world would be a boring place without writers.

The following users thanked this post: VanessaC

notthatamanda

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 01:25:58 AM »
My mind never shuts off and I wish I would. I turned to writing because I am always taking whatever is happening out a thousand interactions from now, trying to imagine every possible scenario, so I can prepare for it. It's exhausting. I finally trained myself to focus on the good possibilities and then I started turning them into stories. It's a pleasure to write, but offer me something to shut the disordered thinking down and I would be more than happy to take it, even if it meant never writing another word.

VanessaC

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 02:10:40 AM »
My mind never shuts off and I wish I would. I turned to writing because I am always taking whatever is happening out a thousand interactions from now, trying to imagine every possible scenario, so I can prepare for it. It's exhausting. I finally trained myself to focus on the good possibilities and then I started turning them into stories. It's a pleasure to write, but offer me something to shut the disordered thinking down and I would be more than happy to take it, even if it meant never writing another word.

My mind also tends to go to the negative possibilities first - perhaps not as badly as you - and it takes conscious effort to think about the good things that could happen instead! I find taking a moment to celebrate good stuff helps - and I keep meaning to start up my "Journal of Happy Things" again. But it is possible - I found myself stomping across a field on a dog walk the other month and started reciting good things in my mind - it's impossible to do that and stomp and grump at the same time, and by the time I got across the field I was happy again.

The following users thanked this post: feste, sandree

Kate Elizabeth

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 04:30:04 AM »
Every time I go for a walk at the park, I start figuring out where bad stuff would happen, especially in the isolated areas.  As for that covered cistern by the creek, it's a great place to dump a body.  I also drive by the lake half the time to and from home.  I've talked to my husband about the best points on that two-lane curvy road where someone could ram a car over the guard rail into the water.

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 04:30:29 AM »
Cognitive behavior therapy helped a lot with the negative thoughts. I can usual control that unless I am overtired or very stressed. I'm starting to try to break the scenario generator by treating it as an addiction or a compulsion but it is very deeply ingrained in me.  Thank you for the suggestions.

Vijaya

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 09:48:55 AM »
This is why I enjoy reading books about writers and their process. One of my favorites is Process: the writing lives of great authors by Sarah Stodola.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Lorri Moulton

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 12:58:23 PM »
Before I wrote books...I thought about house plans and garden plans. 

Now, I describe gardens and houses in my stories!   :smilie_zauber:

Author of Romance, Fantasy, Fairytales, Mystery & Suspense, and Historical Non-Fiction @ Lavender Cottage Books

Writer

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 05:03:49 PM »
I'm not necessarily thinking about books but I'm always thinking about something other than what's happening in front of me. Usually, I'm having conversations with people who aren't there. (Unfortunately, my lips move during the imaginary conversations, and that attracts comment from the real people around me, who would prefer that I talk to them.)

This happens most when I'm in motion, like during a walk or a car ride.

The following users thanked this post: DrewMcGunn, VanessaC

VanessaC

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 06:54:30 PM »
Every time I go for a walk at the park, I start figuring out where bad stuff would happen, especially in the isolated areas.  As for that covered cistern by the creek, it's a great place to dump a body.  I also drive by the lake half the time to and from home.  I've talked to my husband about the best points on that two-lane curvy road where someone could ram a car over the guard rail into the water.

Oh, I love this!

cecilia_writer

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2020, 07:30:00 PM »
I find it quite soothing to think about plot tangles, beginnings for stories etc while driving. On one occasion I also found that it seemed to bring my blood pressure down at the doctor's. Maybe focussing one anything other than whether they're going to increase my medication would help, though!
Cecilia Peartree - Woman of Mystery

alhawke

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 02:36:25 AM »
Yeah. I commute to work over an hour a day and during that time I come up with all kinds of twists and turns for my tales. It's usually conversations between characters. It's really one of the only times during the day where my mind can wander--about my stories.

idontknowyet

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 05:20:22 AM »
My creativity gets better the farther I get from something to record my ideas. Sad fact!  :HB

MaxDaemon

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2020, 12:23:17 PM »
I'm not necessarily thinking about books but I'm always thinking about something other than what's happening in front of me. Usually, I'm having conversations with people who aren't there. (Unfortunately, my lips move during the imaginary conversations, and that attracts comment from the real people around me, who would prefer that I talk to them.)

This happens most when I'm in motion, like during a walk or a car ride.

Me tooooo!

The only problem I have is that sometimes I write out the story in my head, all this beautiful dialog and scenes and descriptions .. and arrive at my destination and POOF!, the story is written and my mind has erased it. I can no longer remember the details. It's like a dream - you wake and the perfect story was going on, so great, so wonderful, so involving .. um .. now .. five minutes later ..

It's .. gone.  :icon_cry:

V.R. Tapscott | Electrik Ink

W.R. Gingell

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2020, 07:01:25 PM »
I do a hecka lot of my plotting in the shower and while driving. Honestly tho, the mind never stops working even when I want it to; I'm another of those who exhaustively goes over old happenings or new threats all day and all night and never shuts up

so that's fun

at least i can write and get rid of some of the angst that way  grint
G'day. My name is Pet. Well. I’m not exactly Pet. I AM a pet. Yeah, it's weird. But it's not WEIRD weird, you know?
W.R. Gingell | The WR(ite) Blog | W.R. Gingell Facebook

Hopscotch

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2020, 10:20:55 PM »
I think about writing only when I'm at the keyboard.  Otherwise, I'll forget everything before I can record it.  But I do let things stew w/o deliberate thought so my keyboard time is manic.
. .