Author Topic: TV That Nails It - Millennials  (Read 2292 times)

Shoe

TV That Nails It - Millennials
« on: December 12, 2018, 01:07:05 AM »
I'm hoping a few of you could name TV shows that nail what life is like for Millennials, particularly "work", but also socially.  Any degree of consensus would be interesting.
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

The following users thanked this post: alyson

Writer

Re: TV That Nails It - Millennials
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2018, 07:17:05 PM »
I'm mid-thirties, so on the line between millennials and whatever is older than a millennial. I've never seen a depiction on TV of anything resembling my life. I still enjoy TV as entertainment but don't identify with anything at all, except maybe the shabby, rural settings of Stranger Things (minus the people and monsters).

Shoe

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2018, 01:33:29 AM »
I'm mid-thirties, so on the line between millennials and whatever is older than a millennial. I've never seen a depiction on TV of anything resembling my life. I still enjoy TV as entertainment but don't identify with anything at all, except maybe the shabby, rural settings of Stranger Things (minus the people and monsters).

Millennials 1981-1996
Gen X 1965-1980
Boomers 1946-1964

I didn't mean reflecting any one person's life (not YOUR life), but life for Millennials in general. On this subject, Inc. Magazine recently listed Broad City, Startup U, and Workaholics as accurately depicting Millennial life. Others mention Silicon Valley, You're The Worst, Love, The Bold Type. I find some of these a stretch.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:38:41 AM by Shoe »
Martin Luther King: "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

guest1038

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2018, 06:00:36 PM »
I would say the HBO show Girls might be a decent example. Or perhaps Netflix's Master of None.

The following users thanked this post: Shoe

Marineli94

• Tag Line unlocked
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2019, 03:54:53 PM »
Now days, shows by Andy Yeatman are a hit. I can see my kids change for better and there is so much that they are learning while watching these shows. I am also planning to invite my brother and sister to our place on the coming weekend so that we can enjoy a few good shows together.

Joe Vasicek

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 04:07:36 AM »
Scott Pilgrim vs the world.

Bones, Spaceman, and Human by The Killers.

Also check out the closing segments on Stephen Crowder's show and Ben Shapiro's "things I like," "things I hate," and "dissecting the culture."

Azalea Ellis

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 01:58:02 AM »
I would say the HBO show Girls might be a decent example. Or perhaps Netflix's Master of None.

I'd agree. Master of None is the one I've seen more recently, and I know some people my age who live and act like that, though mostly...Millenials are just people, with all that implies. I'd say the majority of people considered Millenials don't fit the stereotype, which seems to be based on a sub-segment of the age group. The Millenial stereotypes also seem to be based around life in larger cities, for what that's worth.

The following users thanked this post: Joe Vasicek