Author Topic: Technology makes our lives easier, right?  (Read 2326 times)

Mark Gardner

Technology makes our lives easier, right?
« on: November 14, 2018, 10:33:16 PM »
The re-release of my wuxia novel was this week, and through a glitch of some sort, my nook book is up with someone else's cover! People have been notified, etc.

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/champion-standing-mark-gardner/1120995845?ean=2940156253807

Vijaya

Re: Technology makes our lives easier, right?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2018, 12:14:34 AM »
This happened to me a few years ago on Amazon. They were quick to have the proper cover. I hope B&N is responsive.

Author of over 100 books and magazine pieces, primarily for children
Vijaya Bodach | Personal Blog | Bodach Books

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 01:22:09 AM »
How does that even happen? I can't think of a plausible way for something like that to occur.

It's certainly a good argument for checking the product pages, isn't it?

Could this be another symptom of decay at Barnes and Noble? Getting slapped across the face with a 15% offer every time I move from one page to another there has begun to make me crazy--and it feels desperate on B & N's part.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

David VanDyke

• Long Novel unlocked
  • Full-time hybrid author and curmudgeon
    • David VanDyke's Author Website
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 02:30:53 AM »
Technology allows us to make mistakes faster than ever before.
Never listen to people with no skin in the game.

I'm a lucky guy. I find the harder I work, the luckier I am.

Those who prefer their English sloppy have only themselves to thank if the advertisement writer uses his mastery of the vocabulary and syntax to mislead their weak minds.

~ Dorothy L. Sayers

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 03:08:19 AM »
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Mark Gardner

notthatamanda

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 03:55:20 AM »
How does that even happen? I can't think of a plausible way for something like that to occur.

It's certainly a good argument for checking the product pages, isn't it?

Could this be another symptom of decay at Barnes and Noble? Getting slapped across the face with a 15% offer every time I move from one page to another there has begun to make me crazy--and it feels desperate on B & N's part.

That (#*(#*$)(# 15% offer, I can't escape or X out of it.  Maybe I'm just dumb but I've given up, I just shut the window down and open another one.

I can't wrap my brain around the cover thing either.  That is bad.  What else isn't linking within a book/account correctly?  Holy shnikies.

Edited to ask:  Are you direct with B&N or through D2D or someone else?  It still shouldn't happen, but that might be where it happened.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 03:59:01 AM by notthatamanda »

Jeff Tanyard

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2018, 04:11:18 PM »
Same thing happened to me when I published The Lattice.  I did it via D2D, by the way.  Some other author's cover ended up on my product page on the Nook site.  I contacted D2D, and they went to bat for me and got it all straightened out.

I've got a Nook account, but I don't use it.  These snafus--and difficulties getting them fixed--aren't exactly rare at B&N.  I prefer to have D2D as a go-between for exactly this reason.  If something goes wrong, I just email D2D and say, "Fix this, please."  And they do.
v  v  v  v  v    Short Stories    v  v  v  v  v    vv FREE! vv

Genres: Science Fiction, Fantasy (some day) | Author Website

notthatamanda

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2018, 11:11:33 PM »
Nook wouldn't give me an account, I tried for several months and gave up, just went through D2D.  I guess I was lucky though I didn't realize it at the time.