Author Topic: You may not be getting your forum notifications....  (Read 267 times)

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
You may not be getting your forum notifications....
« on: March 04, 2024, 01:34:05 AM »
I've started getting notifications that gmail and some other sites are now rejecting emails sent out by the forum because this site had passed some failures threshold they have.

2 things seem to have happened lately.

The first was gmail added the forum to a spam list.

The second was a huge increase in spammer activity. This has probably resulted in the failure threshold being crossed, since the majority of the registration attempts never get their emails for various reasons, and thus never go live.

Just now though normal emails being sent out for thread posts just got rejected.

So just be aware that some sites are not passing your forum mail along to you.

Domain writersanctum.com has exceeded the max defers and failures per hour (5/5 (100%)) allowed. Message discarded.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
Re: You may not be getting your forum notifications....
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2024, 05:01:50 AM »
AOL, which yeah, I should probably have dumped years ago, randomly throws some in spam and delivers the rest. It does that with a lot of things.

I'm hoping people who are interested will check once a day or so and see what's new. That's a more reliable way of knowing what's going on.

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter

djmills

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2024, 06:55:36 AM »
I use gmail and get a notification on one thread I follow each day.
However, even if I don't get notifications I visit first thing every morning.
Diane J Cornwell - Fiction
D J Mills - Non Fiction
Tift Publishing
Amazon

LilyBLily

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 03:01:21 PM »
Yahoo (don't judge) threw the March 1 email into spam. But it apparently threw  the Feb. 9 one into spam, too. I don't check Yahoo often.

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2024, 02:21:17 AM »
FWIW, Yahoo mail has been problematic since the late 90s.  Way back when, probably nine times out of ten if someone had a problem receiving eMails, they were using Yahoo mail.

Of course, from the late 90s to maybe 2010 or so, people still had fax machines and used telephones, so if an eMail didn't go through, you could send a fax instead.  Nowadays, that's not so much of an option.  But Yahoo is still Yahoo . . .
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2024, 02:44:21 AM »
Gmail, Yahoo, and Hotmail all routinely spam block without telling people they're doing it

That's why I don't use them.

They decide who gets what email. Even when most of the time they let the spam though, and block legitimate stuff.

Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Bill Hiatt

• Trilogy unlocked
  • Tickling the imagination one book at a time
    • Bill Hiatt's Author Website
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2024, 08:41:01 AM »
I'd be content with a service that a good method of detecting actually dangerous content, like virus masquerading as attachments. I can handle the rest myself.

I probably delete about 80% of what i get. Maybe more. But I'd like to make the choice myself. As I'm fond of saying, "The best spam filter in the world is the delete key."

Tickling the imagination one book at a time
Bill Hiatt | fiction website | education website | Facebook author page | Twitter