Author Topic: A.I. Is Learning What It Means to Be Alive  (Read 270 times)

APP

A.I. Is Learning What It Means to Be Alive
« on: March 12, 2024, 01:49:17 AM »
https://www.nytimes.com/2024/03/10/science/ai-learning-biology.html

Though I personally believe unbridled AI poses a dangerous threat to humanity, this article shows the potential for good that AI can do when used responsibly.

Note: You may encounter a paywall.

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
  • Earth Galaxy core, 2618
    • The Hunter Imperium Universe
Re: A.I. Is Learning What It Means to Be Alive
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2024, 01:51:30 AM »
Definitely a paywall.

As for the title, I'd call BS on that straight away.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

Hopscotch

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2024, 08:49:13 AM »
I usually grump alongside Tim but offer only a half-grump this time - yes, AI can do some very worthy things but it cannot write a novel worth reading / appealing to readers 50yrs from now.  Bc its a tool w/no human genius.  Our current problem is thinking that AI can do more than it can.
. .

Fiction & pizza recipes @ stevenhardesty.com + nonfiction @ forgottenwarstories.com

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2024, 11:01:45 AM »
I usually grump alongside Tim but offer only a half-grump this time - yes, AI can do some very worthy things but it cannot write a novel worth reading / appealing to readers 50yrs from now.  Bc its a tool w/no human genius.  Our current problem is thinking that AI can do more than it can.

Thinking, no.

Being TOLD by media hype is what's going on.

It's being hyper marketed. And as usual, the ads have no basis in reality.
Genres: Space Opera/Fantasy/Cyberpunk, with elements of LitRPG and GameLit, with a touch of the Supernatural. Also Spiritual and Games.

Timothy Ellis Kindle Author page. | Join the Hunter Legacy mailing list | The Hunter Imperium Universe on Facebook. | Forum Promo Page.

The following users thanked this post: Hopscotch

Post-Crisis D

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2024, 12:27:38 AM »
We were supposed to have flying cars decades ago.

Sure, today, there are some flying cars, but most people only see them in videos.  We don't have skyways full of people flying their cars here and there.

There is the future that people are convinced will be reality and then there is the reality that is the future.
Mulder: "If you're distracted by fear of those around you, it keeps you from seeing the actions of those above."
The X-Files: "Blood"

The following users thanked this post: Lorri Moulton

TimothyEllis

• Forum Owner
  • Administrator
  • Series unlocked
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 12:31:49 AM »
We were supposed to have flying cars decades ago.

Sure, today, there are some flying cars, but most people only see them in videos.  We don't have skyways full of people flying their cars here and there.

There is the future that people are convinced will be reality and then there is the reality that is the future.

Yes, but this is the time of 'Feelings make it real'.

So all it needs is someone feeling that AI is feeling, so it must be true.

And that truth has to be broadcast and agreed with by everyone, or your a misogynist racist bigot.

I'm expecting AI to be declared a minority race any second now.

The following users thanked this post: Post-Crisis D