Author Topic: People on book covers  (Read 2443 times)

Kay Camden

People on book covers
« on: January 15, 2019, 02:38:08 AM »
I have another one... (sorry!)

Need some thoughts and opinions about book covers that have people (characters) on them. I'm talking fantasy genre (contemporary fantasy/ fantasy romance/ urban fantasy). Do they generally sell better with people on the cover than book covers that don't show people?

(I've always been on the side of not liking people on covers because I prefer to imagine the characters in my head, and I know other readers who agree with that, but I think we might be the minority.)
Writes twisty plots with smart heroines, haunted heroes, ancient feuds, forbidden love, magic, and revenge.
http://www.kaycamden.com

sandree

Re: People on book covers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2019, 03:00:19 AM »
I don't know the answer to your question but I agree that as a reader I prefer to form my own image of a character and am turned off by specific people on covers. But judging by the prevalence of models on covers, it looks like that is not the prevailing wisdom. A silhouette or a character seen from the back could be a middle ground.

Denise

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2019, 03:18:50 AM »
It's generally accepted that covers with people on them sell better. For an indie, a cover is like an ad and has to be catchy. Have you noticed how often ads have people?

That said, I've seen some beautiful indie covers with objects (crowns, for example) or symbols. They look like traditionally published books, and they can be gorgeous. I don't know if they sell better or worse than covers with people. But they're usually for epic fantasy, not urban fantasy. The current style for urban fantasy uses people, so you'd want to have people on your cover to convey genre. You could use a character facing backwards, for example, that could work. You could have small characters or silhouettes and a symbol, for example.

spin52

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2019, 03:44:04 AM »
I'm with you -- I don't like people on covers and prefer to imagine what the characters look like. (I've been reading a series where I had imagined the hero to have dark hair and eyes and was devastated when I came to the author's description that said he was fair-haired.) But for fantasy, I'd think you could make a very appealing cover by using elements from the book -- swords, dragons, crowns, castles -- whatever is relevant, and a font that reflects the genre.

Traditional mysteries with a dash of humor -- no cats, no cupcakes, no covens.

The following users thanked this post: Rosie Scott

L_Loryn

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2019, 04:09:34 AM »
I believe people on covers sells better than images on covers. Humans are drawn to humans, it is what it is.

I don't mind people on the covers, but I never insert the cover person as the image of the main character. Primarily because I tend to find most cover models unattractive, so I just fix it to my image of attractive when the character is described for me.

You can always try testing it.

munboy

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 01:49:29 AM »
Look no further than the top selling fantasy books.

https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kindle-Store-Fantasy/zgbs/digital-text/158576011/ref=zg_bs_nav_kstore_3_668010011

Throw out the well-known books (Potter and GRR Martin) and it looks like there's a lot of people on those covers.

The following users thanked this post: Writer

Kay Camden

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2019, 09:15:05 AM »
Look no further than the top selling fantasy books.

Well, cool. I looked at that yesterday but didn't think to toss out the big names. It sure answers the question if you think to do that. Thanks :)

And thanks to everyone else too. I'm going to see if my cover artist can include people but make them as vague as possible for readers who like to imagine. Seems a good compromise.
Writes twisty plots with smart heroines, haunted heroes, ancient feuds, forbidden love, magic, and revenge.

Rose Andrews

• Short Story unlocked
  • Historical Western & 20th Century Romance
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2019, 08:31:49 AM »
Kay, I hope this is for your new series because your current covers are amazing. Just my 2 cents. :)
20th Century & Western Historical Romance
Rose Historicals Website | Pinterest | Instagram

Writer

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2019, 11:12:26 AM »
What Munboy said. Your best bet is to look at the top 100 for Urban Fantasy. In most cases, the household names and other traditionally published authors are relying on different marketing, budgets, and distribution than indies, some of which isn't applicable to us (price points alone often mean we're attracting different audience segments). So filter those out and see what the top indies are doing. Most of them are relying primarily on pleasing a voracious, budget-conscious Amazon audience, which is likely to be your audience too. If you see books that don't fit (for example RH books when your book isn't RH), again, filter those out. Look at the covers appealing to the same readership you're hoping to attract.

In most cases with urban fantasy covers, with or without romantic elements, that'll mean covers with attractive, tough-looking people, and some visual indicator of magic. 

Kay Camden

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2019, 02:07:37 AM »
Kay, I hope this is for your new series because your current covers are amazing. Just my 2 cents. :)

Thanks!! Yes, this is for my new series.